• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

The Godfather

Johnny B. Goode

The Godfather was a great movie. And #2 also great. It is an Icon of what the Family was all about. It gives many moral (or anti-moral) lessons. There are the issues of living and death, issues of family and blood, revenge, respect, and racism. It was an awesome movie.
I'm glad for you that you enjoyed it. However, remember that this was a work of fiction taken from a fiction novel. Unless you were in a Family, you have no idea how close or far this is from the truth. I won't address the other "issues" you claim were in the movie, but I will say that it displayed a very, very warped view of "respect". There was no actual respect exhibited in the movie. There was fear and intimidation, but no respect. It was at its core just a very long bloodfest with no real point.

Big-Bendz

I agree that respect was more out of fear that actual respect. But that was what make it so good. It was giving the so-called "Italian Bravado" a long review. You're correct that I can't actually speak about The Family because I'm a mix of other nationalities. But based on what happened in Sicily and here in the larger cities (NYC, Chicago, etc.) in real life, that Bravado caused many similar situations to happen in real life, (i.e. attacks, killings, protection, etc.) I loved this movie because even though many of the characters were "evil" from a strictly moral standpoint, you could still have emotional attachments based on the bad issues they lived with.

Johnny B. Goode

I loved this movie because even though many of the characters were "evil" from a strictly moral standpoint, you could still have emotional attachments based on the bad issues they lived with.
And I probably didn't like this movie for the opposite reason. I didn't feel an emotional attachment to anyone in the movie. Not one person in the movie prompted any feelings of empathy or pity or anything like those emotions from me. And I certainly didn't identify with any character, which to me is the epitome of how to judge a movie. If I can't feel some sort of connection to any character in a movie, then for me it cannot be considered a "great" movie.