Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your fighting strategy?

Hey all,
    I have used the 8 archer set up throughout the map I am well into EMA and stuck at Teufelsfurt I also had soldiers and now have mercenaries and have switched it up quite a bit, but I always lose against the 4 Heavy Cavalry and 4 mercenaries. I think it is because all 8 of the AI enemy moves into the middle of the grid before I even get to move 1. By the time I can move there is no where for me to kite away from the mercenaries. I could manage it if I got a turn on the Cav before the mercenaries were in range but I always have 1 enemy left in the end. Can anybody help with tips I have lost wayyy to many archers here.

Craftsman
    Worlds
    Cir
    If you go in with one Cav unit you could at least use him to direct the 4 mercenaries to one side and maybe one of the enemy Cav units. this might give you enough manipulation to organize your archer attack better.

Craftsman
    Worlds
    None Listed
    I've used the Horse Cav. to race across the screen to draw fire from the catapults as well. This gives my archers enough time to get in shot or 2. It works sometimes, but I still loose most of my army (if the defense is good)

Quote Originally Posted by insideprofiles View Post
    I could manage it if I got a turn on the Cav before the mercenaries were in range but I always have 1 enemy left in the end. Can anybody help with tips I have lost wayyy to many archers here.
    at this point you do need to mix it up some. I've done reasonably well in this stage by adding mercenaries which -- especially if you keep them in forests and bushes -- will safely take out the cavalry. ballistas and/or archers take care of the rest.

I found that it starts to get dicey when you start running into catapults because they will decimate your archers. here, again, the mercenaries really help because if you keep them in the woods, they will minimize damage and -- once they reach them -- they can often take out the catapults at one blow.

once you start running into berserkers, crossbowmen, and trebuchets you'll have to rethink. since my military buildings were running behind my production, I started negotiating more. (at least until I can catch up; right now I am focusing on getting dry herbs.)

Your best play against cavalry is infantry. A single infantry can take the charge of the cavalry. If you deploy so the AI can't gang up on the unit, it can usually kill it the next round. Don't rely on archers just because they are good. The right mix of light infantry, short range and long range units can get you far. When AI has no long range or short range, go a little heavy with light infantry to protect your short range which can be used to soften and perform the coup d'etat.

Quote Originally Posted by drad View Post
    once you start running into berserkers, crossbowmen, and trebuchets you'll have to rethink. since my military buildings were running behind my production, I started negotiating more. (at least until I can catch up; right now I am focusing on getting dry herbs.)
    Thanks for the tips I ended up getting through with a mix of mercenaries. As you said I am entering HMA sectors now and still waiting to research higher military units. I am not in HMA yet. I have had some success with the same strat against the beserkers/crossbowmen etc too, but I am in canturia and I can't get past the Trebuchets. My archers always get taking out before I can take them out with my long range, then the AI cav units mop up my melee/archers/LR.

Anybody have success with archer/EMA units against HMA Long/short range and Fast units?

Craftsman
    Worlds
    None Listed
    a mix of horse, heavy infantry and catapults against long/short range/fast units, has worked for me, but it's a toss up if there is more than a few trebuchet. I in HMA as well, and so far, if I've won, I only have 1 or 2 troops left. For me, the Archers only last long enough to draw fire away from the catapults. At the start, I had to sit tight untill I had HMA berserkers (now saving up for crossbowmen.) I ended up buying out one section of land, because it had 5 trebuchets (to get access to the HMA tower). Might be the same one you are stuck on. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by GeneralCuster; 12-07-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: corrected location

Misdirection works in cases like this as well. Send one or two units to one side of the map, then send the remaining to the opposite side. That will usually buy you some extra moves while the defenders take the decoy and head away from your main forces.

Worlds
    None Listed
    Build the mostpowerful most advance army possible.
    Click on attack.
    Click on the automatic flag.
    Click on results.
    Plunder at will.
    Repeat.

I'll guarantee you that if you rely solely on the automatic flag, you'll lose more troops than you would if you learned how to successfully control the battle yourself. The only time you should use the auto-mode is when you have a "gimme" win.