• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guild Expedition - Feedback

DeletedUser14197

I may have to get lucky to win it. I lost 2 rogues on the first wave and it wasn't enough to make it thru the second wave. I like the armored cars, but I have a problem keeping them alive. The first wave most of them turned to armored cars, the second wave most of them turned to tanks. Perhaps if it was more even, I would have done better.

DeletedUser20367

Yes, that's the problem with using 2 different units. It's good if you get a close to 50/50 mix but it's more likely you'll get more (sometimes a lot more) of one unit.

I used 1 tank & 7 Rogues on the final fight. The Champ will charge forward and sometimes the armored cars will too. Stay back on your side of the field and try to take them out while staying out of range of the RF cannon if possible. Once your Rogues are converted hit the RC cannon & conscript as fast as possible. They will do you the most damage. Leave the sniper for last. 7 Rogues gives you one more 'free hit' but with only one real troop you need to keep track of which one it is so it doesn't get killed.

2nd wave do the same thing except focus on the tanks & conscripts early on before going after the RF cannon. Leave the sniper & Rogue for last but make sure the Rogue doesn't get a hit on you.

wolfhoundtoo

Well generally if I'm unlucky I'll just retry if it's the final fight (meaning i'll retreat rather than fight it out if I don't like the odds). to be fair it also might be a matter of the difference in our att/def boosts as well since I'm about 90% plus att/def for the city I last tried this in as well.

Give Andarl's method a try. If careful you should be able to use that extra rogue on the 1st wave (and the limited range of the cannons) to do max damage in your 2nc turn.

DeletedUser26660

wave 1 has: 1 champion, 1 conscript, 1 tank, 1 sniper, 2 cannons, 2 armored cars

wave 2 has: 1 rogue, 1 cannon, 1 armored car, 1 sniper, 2 tanks, 2 conscripts

Wave 1: Try same as before, 2 tanks with 6 rogues, go for the canons as soon as possible, taking out the conscripts and snipers on route to the canons. Leave the Champion alone as killing it will activate Call of Duty which will boost the attack and defense of all other units.

Wave 2: Use same 2 tanks and 6 rogues, apply same tactics as above and don't let rogue hit you as a rogue, take it out after you have taken out canon and finish it off in one go.

These are the tactics I use and they work for me, others may use different tactics and different units but by using tanks you have an overall good balance between attack and defense compared to other options, good luck.

DeletedUser14197

Wave 1: Try same as before, 2 tanks with 6 rogues, go for the canons as soon as possible, taking out the conscripts and snipers on route to the canons. Leave the Champion alone as killing it will activate Call of Duty which will boost the attack and defense of all other units.

Wave 2: Use same 2 tanks and 6 rogues, apply same tactics as above and don't let rogue hit you as a rogue, take it out after you have taken out canon and finish it off in one go.

These are the tactics I use and they work for me, others may use different tactics and different units but by using tanks you have an overall good balance between attack and defense compared to other options, good luck.

I did better on the first wave, only losing one rogue, but lots of damage to one of my tanks. That is actually good. However, I was geetting clobbered on the second wave. For one, I had to hit the rogue before he hit me, as I was now in range and on his turn, he would have gotten me. I can't take them out fast enough to leave him for laset. The conscripts take me too many turns to take out sometimes. I have to be very careful on this field not to get my units bottle necked where they can't even move one space. I will try again later. I think there is hope that I might be able to win. I'll get plenty of practice at least. I still have a few days to just win one battle, so you never know.

DeletedUser26660

I did better on the first wave, only losing one rogue, but lots of damage to one of my tanks. That is actually good. However, I was geetting clobbered on the second wave. For one, I had to hit the rogue before he hit me, as I was now in range and on his turn, he would have gotten me. I can't take them out fast enough to leave him for laset. The conscripts take me too many turns to take out sometimes. I have to be very careful on this field not to get my units bottle necked where they can't even move one space. I will try again later. I think there is hope that I might be able to win. I'll get plenty of practice at least. I still have a few days to just win one battle, so you never know.

Sounds like you are not doing too bad, maybe try tweaking the units you start with slightly, maybe try 3 tanks and 5 rogues so that you have more initial firepower, still send the 5 rogues forward as before but with 3 tanks you can afford to send at least 2 of them forward with the rogues as well to do more initial damage.

When I have had situations like this I have slightly changed units around until I hit upon the right combination, you will get this last battle soon I am sure of it.

DeletedUser8152

Terrain can make a huge difference too. Sometimes you get lucky with that, sometimes you don't.

DeletedUser14197

Terrain can make a huge difference too. Sometimes you get lucky with that, sometimes you don't.

You are right, terrain has a lot to do with it. If I only was able to reach that cannon on the 2nd wave, I would have won, not by much, but I could have. I simply could not reach him and each turn, the units I had left could only move a space or 2, so he could shoot me, but I could not shoot him.

The reason I had a cannon left at the end was cause I tried a different strategy. I didn't move any of my units forward the first time. On the first wave, it worked great. I was able to get the cannons earlier. However, on the second wave, that one cannon was always out of reach and my units could never move forward very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser26660

You could try 1 tank and 2 Snipers, basically the 2 Snipers would be sent forward first to try and take out the canon as they have quite a good range and movement so would likely take out the canon before they got taken out. Hold back the tank and 5 rogues until the snipers have done their job, when the snipers get taken out the rogues will then turn into tanks, this is worth a shot.

DeletedUser8152

You could try 1 tank and 2 Snipers, basically the 2 Snipers would be sent forward first to try and take out the canon as they have quite a good range and movement so would likely take out the canon before they got taken out. Hold back the tank and 5 rogues until the snipers have done their job, when the snipers get taken out the rogues will then turn into tanks, this is worth a shot.
Leads to trouble on the 2nd wave though, doesn't it?

DeletedUser26660

Leads to trouble on the 2nd wave though, doesn't it?

Canon is the main problem on 2nd wave so if that can be taken out quickly then 1 tank and 5 rogues should manage to take out the rest, worth trying it to find out.

DeletedUser14197

I actually finally did it! I used 2 tanks and 6 rogues. I spread my units across the bottom and let them kind of come to me. I was able to use my tank the 2nd round and get a hit in and still be out of range of everyone left. I was able to get the cannons before the end. I ended the first wave with all 8 units but heavy damage to 2 rogues and 1 tank. Didn't know if I could do it with that, but at least the rogues were able to take one hit and actually attack once as well. Don't know if any got to attack more than that or not. Did the same strategy as before, with a tank able to go partly up the side and stay out of range of the cannon and was again able to get the cannon before the end. It ended with 2 of my tanks against 1 of theirs. I ended with 2 rogues alive, one barely. And than, I actually won 100 diamonds.

DeletedUser26660

I actually finally did it! I used 2 tanks and 6 rogues. I spread my units across the bottom and let them kind of come to me. I was able to use my tank the 2nd round and get a hit in and still be out of range of everyone left. I was able to get the cannons before the end. I ended the first wave with all 8 units but heavy damage to 2 rogues and 1 tank. Didn't know if I could do it with that, but at least the rogues were able to take one hit and actually attack once as well. Don't know if any got to attack more than that or not. Did the same strategy as before, with a tank able to go partly up the side and stay out of range of the cannon and was again able to get the cannon before the end. It ended with 2 of my tanks against 1 of theirs. I ended with 2 rogues alive, one barely. And than, I actually won 100 diamonds.

Great, well done, I thought it would not be long before you cracked it.

DeletedUser20367

Nice work! Sometimes it can be a challenge. I've finished fights with one unit with only a couple/three hits left.

I think my least favorite thing to see is that I will do 2-5 damage. It 'should' average out but I've taken 5 shots to kill something WAY too many times. :mad:

DeletedUser14197

Nice work! Sometimes it can be a challenge. I've finished fights with one unit with only a couple/three hits left.

I think my least favorite thing to see is that I will do 2-5 damage. It 'should' average out but I've taken 5 shots to kill something WAY too many times. :mad:

It has taken me a lot of hits to take out the enemy too. I think that is more likely in the last battles when you are up against all 5 unit types and end up using one unit type against them, like this one I just finished. Tanks only have a boost agsainst 2 of the 5 units. I don't know if it took me 5 hits on any of them or not, but it sure seemed to sometimes. I just wasnt' counting. I think sometimes it is when the enemy is in their defense boost plot. LIke conscripts have a defense boost in entrenchments I believe. One really would do well to pay attention to where they are, but sometimes you just don't seem to have a choice. Of course it helps if one is in their attack boost plot, but I dont' think tanks have one and that is what I was fighting with.

DeletedUser26660

Of course it helps if one is in their attack boost plot, but I dont' think tanks have one and that is what I was fighting with.

That's right, no terrain bonus for tanks and they are most vulnerable to ranged units and light units like the conscript.

Conscripts get a terrain bonus from trenches but are vulnerable to snipers. Conscripts also get close quarters bonus of 20 when attacking from an adjacent square.

Snipers vulnerable to fast and heavy units but they do have a special 'dug-in' defense bonus of 40 if the attacker is more than 2 squares away from them. Snipers also get defense bonus of 20 in bushes and 40 in forest. The rapid fire canon also get a special 'dug-in' bonus of 26 and a terrain bonus of 12 when in hills, two things that make them dangerous and mean taking them out fast is a priority.

Armored cars get defense bonus of 15 on the plains and are vulnerable to artillery and heavy units but effective against ranged units like snipers.

DeletedUser14197

That's right, no terrain bonus for tanks and they are most vulnerable to ranged units and light units like the conscript.

Conscripts get a terrain bonus from trenches but are vulnerable to snipers. Conscripts also get close quarters bonus of 20 when attacking from an adjacent square.

Snipers vulnerable to fast and heavy units but they do have a special 'dug-in' defense bonus of 40 if the attacker is more than 2 squares away from them. Snipers also get defense bonus of 20 in bushes and 40 in forest. The rapid fire canon also get a special 'dug-in' bonus of 26 and a terrain bonus of 12 when in hills, two things that make them dangerous and mean taking them out fast is a priority.

Armored cars get defense bonus of 15 on the plains and are vulnerable to artillery and heavy units but effective against ranged units like snipers.

I think this is why some people are so good at fighting. Some people are better at keeping track of all the different boosts and pay more attention when fighting to these pretty important details. There really is a lot to remember, like staying out of reach of certain units, if they are in a bonus plot for them, if there is a bonus plot for you, if you are in it (this one is easiest for me), if there is a bonus for being a distance away (this one is hardest for me to remember), and of course if using more than one unit type, using the best unit type for the unit you are attacking and staying out of reach of any that have a boost against you (hard for me). But, really, there are a lot of things to try to keep in mind while fighting. Sometimes you just don't seem to have a choise on some of these things. Sometimes the terrain is a real challenge, or should I say hindrance?

DeletedUser26660

Yes, terrain does play an important part. What I tend to do when advancing is get to know all the new units strengths and weaknesses as soon as I advance, writing them down like above is a very good way to quickly recap on that and using the guilds forum is a good way to do this.

wolfhoundtoo

The unit boosts/terrain types is one reason on situations like you described I go with 1 tank and 1 armored car. But really it comes down to having to figure out a way that works with your particularly attack style.

DeletedUser3585

I read in another section of the forum a person claiming they were completing the AF GE at 93% attack with no use of healing and no use of negotiating (and thus zero diamonds). I find that shocking, as even boosted to 168% attach bonus I am being getting defeated in the last few sections. Would appreciate a discussion on AF GE sections 45-48 - what units you use and strategy behind it. 44 is doable, 45 is a beast, 46 is doable, 47 is rough and I have yet to see 48. I could obviously negotiate them but I am not getting lucky and negotiating in the 3 tries, and trying to find a way to clear WITHOUT diamonds. Thanks for any suggestions!