• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Cosmic Raven's Version of Heavy Questing

DeletedUser28299

I want to thank Cosmic Raven for this excellent guide. I was just starting out and it has provided a great way of looking at the game.

I was wondering if anyone has a good discussion of which order to push the GBs? Tentatively I would think to prioritize on St. Marks as it has good production plus coin production increase, and coins seem to be much more of a choke point under these methods.

Is there a good discussion anywhere about which GBs are worth pushing past level 10? I see many of them have pretty severe diminishing returns.

In any case, I look forward to the updates as they come.

Last edited by a moderator:

Higdur

Just wanted to drop a thanks as well, really good work so far!

I had just been considering a break to catch up on GBs after rushing through the ages up to colonial when I came upon this guide. I had no idea about the recurring quests since I just started playing in mid-October. I rebuilt my city to Clockmakers, got a FP trading partner and off we went :)

I'm eagerly looking forward to the next part!

DeletedUser28015

we can somewhat reliably utilize the output of UBQ as the input to complete other quests such as: "Collect Coins", "Collect Supplies", as well as any Story/Side/Event quest to: "gather goods" or "produce goods".

Eh? You can't use the output of one recurring quest as the input of another.

DeletedUser13838

If you have a coin (supply) quest then you'll get credit if another quest gives coins (supplies) as a reward.

DeletedUser13838

I don't remember when you get the 2nd recurring quest. I think you get the 3rd in FE. Regardless, you can have multiple quests active at the same time and the reward from one can be used to satisfy the other.

Algona

Has anyone considered the effect of Tavern Boosts on RQs? I've been using the 60% coin boost the last few days to get extra Coin Quests. Seems OK? Anything I might be missing?

DeletedUser23444

Eh? You can't use the output of one recurring quest as the input of another.

Yes you can because I do it every day. This information is already discussed in-detail here:

Click here to jump directly to the post titled: "Questing Explained In-Depth"

Look for this sub-topic:
The Different Types of Quests

Then read about this specific Quest Type, where I tell you exactly when you get a 2nd recurring quest slot.
Bonus (Story) Quests

And, we have recently discovered that it is actually possible in the later eras (FE/AFE) to have 3 recurring quest-giver slots at the same time. While we are not yet certain what the specific conditions are to trigger this phenomena in FE, two of my guild mates have accomplished this in FE; however their 3rd recurring quest slot reverted back to a Story Quest Slot after they completed some other game activity. I'm actually approaching this part of the game myself right now, so I will be paying very close attention to all of the details regarding this. Stayed tune and watch this topic for more information.

But we do know for certain that reaching the "end of content" of the game (entire C Map conquered, entire Tech Tree unlocked, plus all Story Quests completed) will result in the Story Quest slot offering us recurring quests.

DeletedUser23444

Has anyone considered the effect of Tavern Boosts on RQs? I've been using the 60% coin boost the last few days to get extra Coin Quests. Seems OK? Anything I might be missing?

Folks, please remember that this guide is NOT complete yet. I'm sorry but I don't have as much time as I would like to work on it (Work, Real Life, then I actually need time to play FoE myself and help my guild mates). So answers to many of your questions are coming. Follow the topic, I will post notes when I add new content or do a major edit. I have over two years of notes typed up in MS Word to transfer up to this forum in some kind of coherent arrangement. Please be patient.

However, I do not have any answer to this specific question typed up anywhere as it is fairly new to the game. So file this under "Theory Crafting on-the-fly". I currently use the Tavern Production Boost that amplifies my "dimes and quarters" resource production (coins or supplies) that is hardest for me to produce in my current age or era, and hardest for me to increase my stockpile of that one resource. However which specific "dimes and quarters" resource that is actually depends on several factors:

• What level are our production bonus GBs? As far as GBs that give us a percentage production bonus go (LoA, StM, and RAH), the StM provides us the most efficient boost per GB level than either LoA or RAH do, since even at level 1 StM already doubles our coins production. But this factor is about what current levels we have of each of these GBs compared to the others, and also how our city is designed.

• What age or era are we questing in? I found down in HMA and Colonial Age that my total coins production per 24-hours naturally lagged significantly behind my total supplies production per 24-hours. But now that I'm Future Era, the exact opposite is true. This is mainly due to most of the supply production buildings in higher eras requiring 2-lane roads or they are just plain massive, which means we can no longer produce as many supplies-per-24-hours as we can coins-per-24-hours. Just remember that no matter how many supplies you add to your stockpile down in lower questing ages: (HMA, Colonial, or Indy) that you will eventually burn them all up by the time you advance up to around PME/CE/TE/FE because the game changes along the way to demand far more supplies than coins to construct buildings and unlock technology. There is a reason the game has two GBs with s upply production bonus, but only one Gb with a coins production bonus.

• How many highly-efficient coins production buildings do we own in our city (SoKs, SoAs, Kings, Queens, Haunted Houses, Ziggurats, and other such buildings)? As we play the game longer we all will generally acquire more and more SoKs. The more SoKs we add to our city, the faster our coins production will start to outpace our supplies production.

The Heavy Questing strategy is centered primarily around one specific recurring quest, and SURPRISE it is not the "Produce Supplies" quest for your current age; rather it is actually the UBQ. Down in lower ages we can spam produce supplies because it is simpler to design acity that way and we can complete that quest without significant GB levels. But in order to Heavy Quest efficiently up in FE, where the goods are so much more valuable and the medals packages are insanely huge but also where it is much harder to cram more supply production buildings in our city, we need to be able to afford to spam UBQ. In FE, where I am parked now, competing 1 UBQ will cost me 250K coins + 250K supplies. My natural 24-hour coins production is about 175% of my natural 24-hour supplies production. So in my situation, I'm using the Tavern supplies production boost.

In general, the Tavern resource production boost we should use is the one that:

1. Helps us keep our coins and supplies stockpiles somewhat even as possible, with a preference for being able to stockpile more supplies than coins. However how much more supplies than coins depends on how far along the game we are. If we have the entire Tech Tree unlocked (through AFE), then we are less likely to need as many supplies This is in part because there is no more tech to unlock, and also in part because we will do less complete remodels of our city where we must spend a truckload of supplies to construct new housing. In constrast if you are parked down in the Colonial Age, I don't care if you have a stockpile of 100 million supplies bankrolled — it's not enough. (Constructing just 1 Arcology up in FE will cost 1.5 million supplies.)

2. Helps us to afford to spam more UBQs every 24-hours.

3. Helps us slowly increase our coins and supplies stockpiles, even though we are spending boatloads of both resources while spamming UBQs.

DeletedUser23444

I don't remember when you get the 2nd recurring quest. I think you get the 3rd in FE. Regardless, you can have multiple quests active at the same time and the reward from one can be used to satisfy the other.

This information is already discussed in-detail here:

Look for this sub-topic:

Then read about this specific Quest Type, where I tell you exactly when you get a 2nd recurring quest slot.
Bonus (Story) Quests

DeletedUser23444

I want to thank Cosmic Raven for this excellent guide. I was just starting out and it has provided a great way of looking at the game.

I was wondering if anyone has a good discussion of which order to push the GBs? Tentatively I would think to prioritize on St. Marks as it has good production plus coin production increase, and coins seem to be much more of a choke point under these methods.

Is there a good discussion anywhere about which GBs are worth pushing past level 10? I see many of them have pretty severe diminishing returns.

In any case, I look forward to the updates as they come.

I will be adding a very, Very, VERY, VERY comprehensive section on this specific topic.

For now, HMA players should construct only the GBs I explicitly list below AND NO OTHER GBs until later in the Colonial Age. Also I have listed the GBs in the Ideal order we would want to level them up; however for obvious reasons we might not be able to construct this list of GBs in this order:
  1. Chatea Frontenac
  2. Hagia Sophia
  3. Castel Del Monte
  4. St. Mark's Basillica
  5. Lighthouse of Alexandria

If you own any or all of these GBs, level them up evenly (1 level each at-a-time), starting with the first Gb listed and moving down the list. Keep all of these GBs the same level. Any time you finally construct a GB on this list you did not previously own, you immediately prioritize leveling that new GB until it is the same level as all the other GBs on the list. If you just started heavy questing in the Colonial Age, the GB list looks like this:

1. The Arc
  2. Chatea Frontenac
  3. Hagia Sophia
  4. Castel Del Monte
  5. St. Mark's Basillica
  6. Lighthouse of Alexandria

Again, any time you finally construct a GB on this list you did not previously own, you immediately prioritize leveling that new GB until it is the same level as all the other GBs on the list.

About 1/3rd of the way through Colonial Age we add Alcatraz to the GB List; however, we do not level up Alcatraz as fast as the other GBs listed above, we only level up Traz just enough such that the happiness of Hagia Sophia + Alcatraz makes our city enthused, without any cultural buildings or decorations. Leveling Hagia Sophia is always given higher priority over Leveling Alcatraz.

Ideally, before leaving the Colonial Age behind, we want all of these GBs at level 10:
  1. The Arc (build ASAP in the Colonial Age)
  2. Chatea Frontenac (build ASAP in HMA)
  3. Hagia Sophia (build ASAP in HMA)
  4. Castel Del Monte (build ASAP in HMA)
  5. St. Mark's Basillica (build ASAP in HMA)
  6. Lighthouse of Alexandria (build ASAP in HMA)
  7. Alcatraz (build in mid Colonial age, after all GBs listed earlier are level 7 or higher and only if a level 7 or higher Hagia Sophia will not keep your Colonial Age city enthused)
  8. Atomium (build AFTER you own a level 7 Alcatraz)
  9. Innovation Tower (build AFTER you own a level 7 Atomium and 5 or more SoKs)
  10. OPTIONAL: Fraunkirche of Dresden (build AFTER you own a level 7 Atomium)
  11. Temple of Relics (do not build until mid-to-late Colonial Age and only after all other GBs listed earlier are level 7 or higher)
  12. Statue of Zeus (do not build until mid-to-late Colonial Age and only after all other GBs listed earlier are level 7 or higher)
  13. Cathedral of Aachen (do not build until mid-to-late Colonial Age and only after all other GBs listed earlier are level 7 or higher)
Please hold all questions on this specific topic for now, as I'm still typing up this specific section. This means all the answers, explanations, rationale, and supporting math to back up the strategy are forthcoming. However, I wanted to give players the general idea now.

DeletedUser28015

Yes you can because I do it every day. This information is already discussed in-detail here:

Look for this sub-topic:

Bonus (Story) Quests

Hmm ... it doesn't work that way for me. I got the bonus quests but then that slot went away ... I have one recurring quest slot, which has now turned back into a side request slot after capturing Tarmelmann and getting the monastery.

DeletedUser28299

Zotbot, you don't get to keep the other quest giver until the end of the LMA.

DeletedUser28102

I have a city that is at the very end of EMA , it is a mess and I am planning to move it to HMA with a brand new heavy questing set up , I have 2 GB's and neither one of them are recommended , ToB and Zeus , should I just get rid of them ? ToB is level 2 and Zeus is level 4

DeletedUser28015

I have a city that is at the very end of EMA , it is a mess and I am planning to move it to HMA with a brand new heavy questing set up , I have 2 GB's and neither one of them are recommended , ToB and Zeus , should I just get rid of them ? ToB is level 2 and Zeus is level 4

First, try thinking things through, rather than just following recommendations by rote. Merely having a SoZ isn't harmful, so there's no point in getting rid of it unless you desperately need its 6 vertical spaces to pair a production building, which is unlikely. Second, read carefully: "We usually have them build SoZ because it is so tiny, but that can be skipped until late Colonial Age as well".

As for ToB, CR doesn't advocate building it but the fact that you already have one into which you have sunk FP and goods changes things. You're going to need residences and roadway to replace it, and you should keep it as long as it's more efficient than replacing it. And CR first lists reasons that other players favor it -- production of unrefined goods being the important one -- then lists reasons that CR doesn't advocate it. Unfortunately, the section on unrefined goods is empty. But be sure to read what CR has written about goods, notably the section that states "Make no mistake about this fact — the game of FoE has much more to do with the effective supply chain management of goods than nearly any other aspect of the game", and the paragraph on unrefined goods: "The list of great buildings that pay the player x2 unrefined goods includes: ToB, LoA, StM, FoD, RAH, and RFP. There are also two special buildings, which both auto-advance to the same age as our Town Hall, that can randomly produce x2 unrefined goods: The Wishing Well, and The Fountain of Youth. Any of these above-mentioned buildings will have tremendous value to our city in the Modern Era or later as a source of Discounted Unrefined Goods" (emphasis added).

That said, I just noticed that you said your ToB is level 2, which isn't much. You should invest any FB into other GBs such as LoA or StM instead, and ditch the ToB and use the space for residences ... even 4 Roof Tile Houses hold more population than your ToB.

DeletedUser28446

Questing Explained In-Depth

The Produce Supplies quest is actually the easiest of all recurring quests to complete—we only need to build a large number of regular supply buildings that is evenly divisible by N, and set them to 24-hour productions each day. Then when our city is ready to collect, we dial up the correct recurring quest before we collect N of our supply buildings, collect only N of those buildings, then abort-cycle around to the same "Produce Supplies" quest and keep going until our city is collected.

The smaller a regular supply production building is, the less land and population it requires for construction, the more such buildings we can construct in our city, and the more such "Produce Supplies" quests we can complete each day. In later eras, we must consider if a supply production building requires 2-lane roads or 1-lane roads, and also if it grants our city a positive or negative happiness side effect. With all factors considered, here are the best building recommendations for each period:
  • Produce 2 x Helmets (Blacksmiths, 2x2) in Bronze Agej
  • Produce 2 x Meat Skewers (Butchers, 4x3) in Iron Age
  • Produce 2 x Bear Hides (Tanneries, 3x3) in EMA
  • Produce 2 x Saltpeter (Alchemists, 3x2) in HMA
  • Produce 2 x Many Barrels of Beer (Brewery, 3x3) in LMA
  • Produce 2 x Turret Clocks (Clockmakers, 3x2) in Colonial Age
  • Produce 4 x Gatling Guns (Gunsmiths, 2x3) in Industrial Age
  • Produce 5 x Industrial Lighting (Lamp Factories, 6x3, 1-lane) in PE
  • Produce 5 x Church Hats (Hatters, 3x3, 1-lane) in ME.
  • Working "Produce Supplies" quest is unfeasible (with any building) in PME.
  • Working "Produce Supplies" quest is unfeasible (with any building) in CE.
  • Working "Produce Supplies" quest is unfeasible (with any building) in TE.
  • Produce 5 x Anti-grav Carriers (Levitation Outlets, 3x4, 2-lane, +120 Hap) in FE
In the Heavy Questing Strategy, we engineer our city and plan its road layout so as to fit as many regular supply production buildings as possible into our available land.

First off this is the most informative, constructive thread I have read in a long time. Thank you Raven for this and I cant wait for the rest of it. My question to you is when you recommend the best building per period, how many of said buildings are you suggesting? 2 or 3 or maybe more? Example, Im in EMA so should I build 2 Tanneries or more? Also I'm still receiving the Iron Age 24 hour quest as well where I have to make the boots. So I was thinking on having both tanner and a shoemaker.

DeletedUser23444

My question to you is when you recommend the best building per period, how many of said buildings are you suggesting? 2 or 3 or maybe more? Example, Im in EMA so should I build 2 Tanneries or more? Also I'm still receiving the Iron Age 24 hour quest as well where I have to make the boots. So I was thinking on having both tanner and a shoemaker.

First, the Tannery and Shoemaker are both EMA supply production buildings, not Iron Age. As to how many supply production buildings, let me answer it this way. If I could find some way to sell my Town Hall and replace it with more supply production buildings, I would. THis si why we only target 5 GBs to start with: CF, HS, CdM, StM, and Loa, and we skip all others — land is scarce.

If you could fit 1,000 supply buildings in your city and you had land left over I would tell you to shoe horn in some more. Of course, I'm exaggerating here, but you get the point. As this article progresses, I provide some sample city layouts.

DeletedUser28446

First, the Tannery and Shoemaker are both EMA supply production buildings, not Iron Age. As to how many supply production buildings, let me answer it this way. If I could find some way to sell my Town Hall and replace it with more supply production buildings, I would. THis si why we only target 5 GBs to start with: CF, HS, CdM, StM, and Loa, and we skip all others — land is scarce.

If you could fit 1,000 supply buildings in your city and you had land left over I would tell you to shoe horn in some more. Of course, I'm exaggerating here, but you get the point. As this article progresses, I provide some sample city layouts.
Thank you so much. I'm guessing, according to your article and tell me if I'm way off, make a ton of tannery buildings that will produce a amount of supplies that will equal the repeatable quest, as you stated if it's asking for 2 bear skins which take a day to make, I should have as many as I can place x2 each so that 1 quest can be completed. Example, if I had 6 tanners I can complete that quest 3x every 24 hours.