• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

The Watchfire Controversy

DeletedUser26154

Looks like this controversy has been brought to a close.
Proof weighs in, without a doubt.
City defense, via Watch Fires, Ritual Flames, what ever source.

Worth having.

The more City Defense you have, the better it is.
Would you want to attack this city?
Bristling with Watch Fires?
Nope.

0054479959b817fea723afe55ea7d011.png

Who in their right mind would?
As a World Boss Player pointed out:
Someone would need 30+ strike team centers and full combat G.B.s, to beat my city defenses.
It would take a player of World Boss Caliber to do it.
Or send in units of a much higher era.

To sum it up...
Watch Fires... Ritual Flames... Defense G.B.s...
Totally worth it.

No waste of space at all.
You'll find nice places for them to go.
And that formerly wasted space now has high-value.

5343570bc053627f2cd4faf19b967497.png

Protect your city, your production, your reputation, and your citizens.

excom.png

tossed.png

No substitute for Victory.

i am the defense.png

destiny.png

They Work.

Algona

Worth having.

Well, no. Until the Cherry Blossom stuff i never bothered with defense, And the only reason I have that defense is because it came along as a free bonus. And I'm the guy who spent Easter 2016 Chasing 30 Watchfires and never needed them. But hey i did put up two today, just to see how they look. Come the next major remodel, they will be reduced to their component electrons.

I've menaged to build a fair city over 2+ years and never needed defense, despite at times being a slavering plunderer. I suspect if i had dedicated the effort to collect and the space to deploy such defense I'd be several Eras further back at least.

So no, I won't let you close this debate.

You must continue to defend your premise, not just your premises. (See what I did there? I made a triple funny! defend? premise? premises? hahahahahahahaha! pfffft. Seriously, i posted the above dfrivel just so I could post this drivel. Pathetic.)

DeletedUser26965

Think if I had to make a choice I'd go with leveling up SbC and DC rather than a bunch of WF/RF.

DeletedUser26154

Think if I had to make a choice

Choice?
I choose to do both.
And a whole lot more.

Come visit Beautiful Praxis.
See the link below.

http://postimg.org/image/s0f1izq9j/

Lots of goods production.
Plenty of supplies and coins.
By itself, my city Praxis generates 100 Forge Points a day.

3 FE, 4 TE and 7 ME goods buildings.
I have a lot of Colonial Age goods, and big, long-term plans.

CA goods.png

Those goods get processed and upgraded.
From Colonial Age to Modern Era via good production buildings.

ME goods.png

Then from Modern to Tomorrow Era, the very same way.

ME  TE goods.png

Someone, please!
Point out how my city loses production with all my Watch Fires?

images (6).jpg

I just don't see it.

Algona

Someone, please!
Point out how my city loses production with all my Watch Fires?

Shan't debate the merits of being impervious to plunder, shall say that I have a hekuva lot more Goods in the bank despite being vulnerable to being plundered.

Hmmm. You don't lose production, you lose production potential. I'm in PME. i have an average of 2500 of Each Goods through ProgE. Modern is 1K I was there only 2 weeks. I'll be moving on ro Contemporary shortly with 2K of each PME Good in the bank and maintaining a few Tribal Squares to keep that rolling in.

You fids security in Watchfires, I find mine in overflowing buckets of Goods.

i can do stuff with those Goods. Sell, trade, donate, help others. Your Watchfires do what you ask of them, protect your city. And look frikkin' awesome.

But you can't do much else with them.

I reckon we both over do it with our security blankets, eh? And that's cool.

Never asked but how painful is having umpty-six of those thingies when it's major remodel time?

DeletedUser26154

Never asked but how painful is having umpty-six of those thingies when it's major remodel time?

The single biggest drawback is moving those things.
Making sure they are packed in tight.
I'll begin moving my Watch Fires a day or two in advance.

I can spend hours moving them around...
Spelling obscene words...
Naughty symbols...
What else can I put in those empty rows and spaces?
Victory Towers?
Trees?

I remember when you and I were piling up out Watch Fires.
I like having mine.
The best way to avoid plunder is to be a good neighbor.
Motivate and Polish are the two best things to keep things cool.
However...

Some hoodies aren't kind and friendly.
Some like to eyeball another person's production.
Then earmark it for their own.

I'm not here to eat any lions.
I don't know if they'll extend the same courtesy.

But you can't do much else with them.

big show cries.jpg

He's right.

wolfhoundtoo

Ultimately you pretty much need a LOT of watch fires for them to be decently effective.......but if you hate being plundered and aren't that good at setting your timers to match your schedule (or can't) I'd venture they're worth the space. Of course that pretty much defines the criteria for everything in someone's city: do you get what you want out of it. :p

DeletedUser26154

Seriously, i posted the above dfrivel just so I could post this drivel. Pathetic.)

I'm a Forum Pundit.
I need disagreement and debate to thrive.
The food of Forum Discussions.

I have my core set of beliefs that are the foundation for my ideas.
We have very similar core beliefs on many issues.
But we don't agree on everything.

Ideally, there would be a giant pool of Pundits.
At least 20 Good, Solid, Learned FoE Pundits to keep things cooking.

What do you have when two pundits agree on absolutely everything?

images (1).jpg

One Pundit too many.

DeletedUser11427

Since they changed the way players are assigned to the hoods, there's less chance of players being pitted against others 4 ages above them, and city defense is less of an issue. I still have plenty of watchfires in my city though.. they seem to startle the occasional warrior

DeletedUser

Since they changed the way players are assigned to the hoods, there's less chance of players being pitted against others 4 ages above them, and city defense is less of an issue. I still have plenty of watchfires in my city though.. they seem to startle the occasional warrior
I contend that city defense is actually more useful now. When you get attacked by someone 4 ages ahead of you, no amount of defense will help. When that person is same age, or at most 1 age higher, it becomes very much a factor.

DeletedUser26154

Since they changed the way players are assigned to the hoods, there's less chance of players being pitted against others 4 ages above them, and city defense is less of an issue.

While the much-higher era bullies are gone, now everyone in your hood can attack you.

images.jpg

City Defense means more than ever before.

DeletedUser26965

We don't have to deal with people multiple eras ahead of us.
That is true for the most part but not when a new world opens, such as Xyr, I can tell you from experience this is not true lol, though the reason is obvious in that it takes time for enough players to fill up Ages for there to be enough of players in the same Age to be enough players in a neighborhood of the same Age, till then they just stick everyone together sort of like the old days.

*Arturis*

"The best defense is a good offense" is an adage that has been applied to many fields of endeavor, including games and military combat. It is also known as the Strategic Offensive principle of war. Generally, the idea is that proactivity (a strong offensive action) instead of a passive attitude will preoccupy the opposition and ultimately hinder its ability to mount an opposing counterattack, leading to a strategic advantage.
http://prntscr.com/feuspk