• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Does the Kraken Improve the Game?

lemur

Players are going gaga over this thing. But I'm not impressed, especially since it gives even more of an advantage to the attacker. Battles were already a live human being with superior strength and tactical flexibility versus a predictable artificial intelligence with easily exploitable weaknesses. Now it's eight units versus seven. The Kraken dumbs down the game.

DeletedUser26154

I think the Kraken is ok but not as good as the Arc or Alcatraz.
I would rather have another Zeus than the Kraken to be honest.

DeletedUser28670

The Kraken dumbs down the game.
Are you not Collecting on Time?
This issue has been discussed numerous times.
Defence is only the first barrier in a large number.
Firstly, beefy watchfires and ritual flames.
Secondly, Collect on Time.
Thirdly, Tavern Shield.

If you follow any 2 of these ways to not get plundered you should not be complaining about a decent new GB that gives out FPs.

(I presume you are talking about the bonus and it's effect on hood attacks, not GvG or something else. GvG was already easy to exploit with point farming etc. and this is a tiny change.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser26154

being with superior strength and tactical flexibility

I would rather have a combat G.B. that gives it's bonus all the time.
Like Zeus, it's a constant added percentage.
The Kraken gives what it does and that's it.
A Zeus is good for 200 battles in a day.

jtrjtj.jpg

The Kraken is good for only a dozen battles or so.

DeletedUser29295

The Kraken is 5x5, gives an attack bonus for a set amount of battles, and gives a good amount of FP (specially for it's size). I love mine: but it is something you need to use wisely to get the full benifit of it.

But I'm not impressed, especially since it gives even more of an advantage to the attacker.

Cry me another FP river, build a bridge of collection, and get a Tavern shield over it.

I think the Kraken is ok but not as good as the Arc or Alcatraz.
I would rather have another Zeus than the Kraken to be honest.

In the long run I tend to agree with you: a constant bonus like Zeus would be better served. But the balance of this GB is better then most, and when you combind it with the AO, Voyager and Atlantis it can really help out.

Are you not Collecting on Time?
This issue has been discussed numerous times.
Defence is only the first barrier in a large number.
Firstly, beefy watchfires and ritual flames.
Secondly, Collect on Time.
Thirdly, Tavern Shield.

If you follow any 2 of these ways to not get plundered you should not be complaining about a decent new GB that gives out FPs.

I agree 100% with you: at times I get so tired of the whining about defending your city and how "sad" it is. Get watchfires, collect on time, and build your defensive GB's.

Screenshot (346).png

Here is my A/D with no Tavern boosts: I will not attack anyone over a 300 defense right now (unless they have no attack bonuses for their city) because it is not worth the losses. But anyone else and I will wipe them, even with no Tavern boost.

And it has been forever since anyone cracked my city defense: and even if they did I collect on time, so they would get nothing.Screenshot (347)_LI.jpg

No one even tries anymore. They either collect on time of pay the hood tax to me.

DeletedUser26120

Was talking with someone in world chat about this earlier.

It's a nice effect but you only get it 12 times a day. Attacking your hood is usually a minimum of 40 battles and 12 battles doesn't even finish one GE level.

That reduces its impact on the game significantly. Secondly, part of the game is beating up the AI which sometimes gets ridiculous defense boosts - especially in later ages GE and cmap. Having an Oceanic Future building (read: very late game building) does improve the game very much so because it helps you vs that difficult AI boost.

Think of controlling when you collect kraken and using the attack feature only when facing difficult map levels or high defense hoodies. Along with Arctic Orangery I see this as nothing but good for the game.

I can understand how perspectives would be colored differently if I were a lower era player getting attacked by people that already have kraken GBs but that doesn't mean it's bad for the game.

DeletedUser26154

it's bad for the game.

The Kraken is pure "Keep Up With The Joneses".
Your neighbors have one, so that means you have to have one.
If everyone has one, no one has the advantage, as far as neighborhood PvP is concerned.
It's a game changer, because if you don't have one, you're gonna get plundered a lot.

images.jpg

It's like a Nuke and Mutual Assured Destruction.

Zatrikon

Cry me another FP river, build a bridge of collection, and get a Tavern shield over it.

I agree 100% with you: at times I get so tired of the whining about defending your city and how "sad" it is. Get watchfires, collect on time, and build your defensive GB's.
He wasn't whining about being plundered. He was complaining that it dumbs down the game, which it does.

Freshmeboy

What...? Another high level GB that gives out massive medal rewards and excellent fp returns that players are self leveling like crazy because it's the new toy on the block...? It's a sniper's wet dream.....keep em' comin'....

DeletedUser

Players are going gaga over this thing. But I'm not impressed, especially since it gives even more of an advantage to the attacker. Battles were already a live human being with superior strength and tactical flexibility versus a predictable artificial intelligence with easily exploitable weaknesses. Now it's eight units versus seven. The Kraken dumbs down the game.
Actually, in the later ages this makes it 8 units versus 15 units. And the 15 units have higher and higher boosts as you get to the later ages. And this is an OFE Great Building, not a Bronze Age one, so it is designed for the battle realities of the higher age.

Last edited by a moderator:

lemur

He wasn't whining about being plundered. He was complaining that it dumbs down the game, which it does.

Yes, thanks for mentioning that. It's interesting that some people assumed that my criticism was a disguised complaint about being plundered, which actually happens to me very rarely. :)

lemur

Secondly, part of the game is beating up the AI which sometimes gets ridiculous defense boosts - especially in later ages GE and cmap.

I didn't know that happens on the Continent Map. Thanks for letting me know. With regard to GE, I find that it's quicker and easier to buy an extra turn with Tavern Silver and then negotiate through Level 4.

One of the unstated premises here is that PvP is still an important part of the game. But in the ages where I play (mostly LMA and Colonial), the tower rewards are ridiculously small, compared with the effort required to win. So that leaves game score and ego as the reasons to win. Hmm ...

DeletedUser29295

One of the unstated premises here is that PvP is still an important part of the game. But in the ages where I play (mostly LMA and Colonial), the tower rewards are ridiculously small, compared with the effort required to win. So that leaves game score and ego as the reasons to win. Hmm ...

I think you are incorrect: PvP is still vital to myself and many others. I get tons of extra goods and FP's from my hood doing PvP. It also provides Crowns to my Guild for the points I score. And I can kill my hood any time I want, and not worry about being around for a huge GvG time or when I complete all 4 levels of GE (which I fight through). If someone can crack my defense and tax me, more power to them.

DeletedUser

I think you are incorrect: PvP is still vital to myself and many others. I get tons of extra goods and FP's from my hood doing PvP. It also provides Crowns to my Guild for the points I score. And I can kill my hood any time I want, and not worry about being around for a huge GvG time or when I complete all 4 levels of GE (which I fight through). If someone can crack my defense and tax me, more power to them.
PvP in your hood does not provide Crowns (Guild Power Points) for your guild. Only GE, GvG, HoFs and certain special/event buildings such as the Bazaar do that. :)