• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Fair trading and trading guides

plinker2

I am going to open this thread as I hope some of the more advanced players will explain "fair trades" and how to go about them.
It never hurts to glean knowledge from the more experienced players. So take it away and if you have questions, please ask as I'm sure they will help you along the way.

DeletedUser26120

I'm a fan of the 2:1/1:2 ratio. So called calculators try to take in useless factors like coins/supply to produce.

It seems to me that most people use the calculator to benefit one way then do 2:1/1:2 the other way to make a profit both ways. That's a big reason why I intensely dislike the calculator.

Haven't had a problem getting people to take my trades in lower, current, or upper age at those ratios.

Lancer

I'm a fan of the 2:1/1:2 ratio. So called calculators try to take in useless factors like coins/supply to produce.

It seems to me that most people use the calculator to benefit one way then do 2:1/1:2 the other way to make a profit both ways. That's a big reason why I intensely dislike the calculator.

Haven't had a problem getting people to take my trades in lower, current, or upper age at those ratios.

I refuse to use the calculator too. I'm only interested in obtaining goods and I almost always use the 2:1 ratio. Hell, even with goods of the same age I will usually offer more than want I want in order for the trade to happen faster. Also to make sure your guild members know when you need certain goods they can sometimes go to the market and help

DeletedUser28670

Anyways, if I have some large trades that I need taken quickly I just advertise in global and offer 2X the amount of FPs required for the trade to a GB of choice. Obviously that would be expensive for a large amount of trades but for a few large trades you will probably get them taken quickly :)

DeletedUser31206

I always have the fair trade box marked whenever I post trades. I help players with their trades as long as it is not a 1:10 deal (example: I need 1 iron and they asking for 10 alabaster in exchange)

DeletedUser31592

I always have the fair trade box marked whenever I post trades. I help players with their trades as long as it is not a 1:10 deal (example: I need 1 iron and they asking for 10 alabaster in exchange)

The 1:10 is the merchant. You aren't trading with an actual person. Those trades are always available and limitless. There is actually a tavern boost to make them 1:5, 1:4, and 1:3. When you are desperate and haven't had any luck, throwing the tavern boost on makes it slightly less painful.

A player cannot post anything higher higher than a 2:1 ratio. If you try, it will automatically change your trade to 2:1. Now, it can be ages apart, therefore not truly 2:1, but you cannot get more than 2 goods for every good you put up.

DeletedUser31206

The 1:10 is the merchant. You aren't trading with an actual person. Those trades are always available and limitless. There is actually a tavern boost to make them 1:5, 1:4, and 1:3. When you are desperate and haven't had any luck, throwing the tavern boost on makes it slightly less painful.

A player cannot post anything higher higher than a 2:1 ratio. If you try, it will automatically change your trade to 2:1. Now, it can be ages apart, therefore not truly 2:1, but you cannot get more than 2 goods for every good you put up.
That's good to know.

DeletedUser31206

Unfortunately, Miss Trapp, that green thumbs up means only that trades that are acceptable for YOU to complete are available....INNO neither condones or denies the fair trade calculators made by fans of the game. If you belong to a fair trade guild, check with your leaders and ask them what calculator they use ....
Ok

Flavius Belisarius

Has there ever been a proposal to have non-Guild only or Open Market (not displayed to Guild) trades?
Guilds could have Fair Trade Internally and allow Free Market Externally?

DeletedUser28670

Has there ever been a proposal to have non-Guild only or Open Market (not displayed to Guild) trades?
Guilds could have Fair Trade Internally and allow Free Market Externally?
So basically you wish to scam other people with unfair trades... but you don't want your guild to see them. :p
Anyways YES this has been proposed.

DeletedUser26965

No, I want to get Fair Market Value for my(our) goods on the open Market, but only show Fair Trades (by our Guilds Policy) to our Guild.
Oh god with the "fair" talk please let it end:D But yeah most guilds implement a ratio standard, 2:1 up 1:2 down one age 1:1 across, so you want to put a trade up that is not that same standard and have it so your mates won't see it. As mentioned been talked about a lot, probably proposed but I don't know if it went through a full voting process and sent to Inno for consideration though I'm willing to bet they're aware of it regardless. Maybe Inno should have a market option that only shows that ratio standard instead.

DeletedUser31225

...It seems to me that most people use the calculator to benefit one way then do 2:1/1:2 the other way to make a profit both ways. That's a big reason why I intensely dislike the calculator.

In the beginning I much favored the calculator. Then I saw players doing what you described above. Now a days I ignore calculator trades. I have seen calculator trades move more slowly than 2:1/1:1:/1:2 ratio trades.

DeletedUser26965

In the beginning I much favored the calculator. Then I saw players doing what you described above. Now a days I ignore calculator trades. I have seen calculator trades move more slowly than 2:1/1:1:/1:2 ratio trades.
calc trades are exactly the same as ratio trades until you reach CA then it begins to diverge because calc trades are based on coins/supplies cost.

https://www.forgeinfo.com/?l=tools&s=fairtrade

See how they call the calc trading "fair" trade too? So who's the fairest of them all? Ratio trade, calc trade, free trade or Snow White?

Ratio trades will of course move faster than calc trades when trading up because you're offering more than calc trades would. So if you wanted 20 CA goods you would offer 40 LMA goods in ratio trading but the calc offer would only be 30 LMA goods. However trading down the calc trades would go faster because it's the reverse dynamic.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser30312

IMO, the calculator trades are somewhat ok until about ME. Then things start to get wonky because the popular calculator rates start to approach 1:1 which is ludicrous, and there's also the refined and unrefined goods issue which complicate costs. However, I think the 2:1 one age ratio is reasonable up to LMA. New players who actually need these goods aren't going to have as many alternate options to acquire them, more advanced players probably don't need the goods at all, and it's easy to remember. After that it's up to the guild. And of course, 1:1 within a single age is usually fair, at least it's a simple approach.

I've adopted the following standards for my own personal trading:

BA through LMA: 2:1 one age apart.
LMA:CA 3:2
LMA:Indy 2:1
CA: PE 5:3
ME goods and higher I trade at a rate of 2 unrefined for 1 refined.

I've had little trouble getting people to take trades at these rates.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31498

oh man if you trade down 2:! LMA:Indy then please join W world!! even up through Future era seems 2:1 is the norm