• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Plunder progress

DeletedUser

I don't know that I would hazard a guess about their native intelligence, but one thing I do think the complainers have in common is a desire to make the game accommodate them, instead of taking the time to figure out how to play the game as it is.

I was quite frustrated by getting plundered when I first started out. I poured over the forums and tried everything from using two spearthrowers for defense so the plunderer didn't get any points, to disconnecting my roads when I signed off, to sending nastygrams to the attackers. None of that lasted long because I realized I was just hurting myself by losing out on production, on the that somebody might plunder one or two of my buildings (and that's only if I don't time them right); and that being beaten in PvP combat (as opposed to a subsequent plunder) doesn't hurt me in the least, so why not put up the best defense possible. It will actually deter somebody once in awhile.

It's a simple shift of perspective that helps one to stop worrying about being plundered. When you realize that plundering is going to happen to you at times no matter what you do, and the only guaranteed defense against it is to collect your s*** on time, you can stop railing against the unfairness of it all and adapt. Accept it for what it is and deal with it. I've played multiplayer games in which you could lose a substantial amount of your loot. Compared to those, this is nothing.

Some people will ragequit before the realization happens and some may realize it and still hate plundering enough to quit. But I have found that it's made this a more enjoyable game, and I didn't have to wait around for somebody else to do it for me.
This is so good, I wish I had written it! Especially this:
...one thing I do think the complainers have in common is a desire to make the game accommodate them, instead of taking the time to figure out how to play the game as it is.

DeletedUser32009

I just don't understand the bullying aspect.
Enjoying an aspect of the game as it is, isn't bullying. No one is harassing anyone. To say it is bullying is like complaining if you land on Boardwalk with a hotel on it in Monopoly and having to pay the huge rent. It isn't bullying when you go broke in Monopoly.
Some people like plundering, some don't. It doesn't make the plunderers bullies. They aren't cheating. They are playing a legitimate part of the game. To call them bullies is actually being a bully. You want them to play like you do.
Sometimes I plunder, sometimes I don't. But that is how "I" play my city.

DeletedUser31592

I continue to plunder in one world since I cannot get enough goods (seriously baffling...). Anyway, I received 2 friend requests today after I went through and attacked everyone. Didn't plunder either of them (yet) and they still sent a request. No, thanks.

DeletedUser29563

First run thru the new hood...four(4) palaces sets and a Zen zone. 21 fp..

DeletedUser31882

They are playing a legitimate part of the game. To call them bullies is actually being a bully. You want them to play like you do.

I agree.

Some of the crymails shared here really show who the 'real' bullies are. I'm all for someone making a gambit at tugging a plunderers heart strings to stop plundering them. Yet so many (All mayhap?) resort to personal insults, which completely backfires any attempt at playing the 'victim' card.

People use counter-intuitive tactics to get what they want. Crymail gives us a chuckle at people taking the game far too seriously and a interesting, or sad, insight into how some people may behave when 'real life' gives them lemons if they react so poorly in FoE.

I almost envy Alkay's hate mail, I get almost none in my city, and I stomp around pretty hard. Maybe there's just more whiners over on Greifental? (Bad world for them, from what I hear).

I've gotten almost double-digit 'reaction' mails, but none really worthy of sharing...

No U stop!.png
That has been the height of 'cry' mail I've gotten...

Most of my mail ranges from passive aggressive to almost poetic. My first 'plunder reaction'(?) mail was an all caps quote from Charge of the Light Brigade that ended with a 'get rekted' threat. My green self quaked at the thought of upsetting someone to the point of them catapulting my city into rubble... until I learned FoE ain't that kind of game.

I'm also in Greifental, but only in EMA. We'll see if I get anything fun as I work my way up.

DeletedUser32172

yes, I'm not talking about people like us with "the plunder's blood", I'm talking about people who attack us back because they got attacked. They usually don't continuously fight back if they don't get anything as a return.

I'm really damn new here, so I'm doing a LOT of back reading, but I just gotta say, as one with thin blood, you hit the nail on the head here. I'm a farmer, er lover, er farmer not a fighter. ;) Heh, I've never had to fight too much in my life, really. I'll show ya an IRL pic and you'll see why.

Yes, this is a war game, but that's not the end all be all of the game. I did the plundering thing for about a week and...meh. But I'm no one's bitch but my own and I bite! You can attack me once or twice, if you don't plunder, and I'll shrug it off; more than that and I'm gonna rain down on your parade. But, yeah, I don't keep it up. I like me some hot blooded vengence. If I'VE BEEN AIDING YOU ALL WEEK and you think I'm a good target just cause you don't see military buildings, you're gonna get some schoolin'. If you stop, I stop, and gee, you get aided again.

Anyway...

I was thinking this one over and I realized that for the first time in my life, my impatience and pathetic need for socialization has worked in my favor for once. The moment I was able to get into a guild, I did. When I posted a needed trade, and no one answered, and no one in the 'hood picked it up for, like, 12 whole hours, I bailed and got into an active guild. Then I "listened" asked a clarifying question or two and figured it out! I mean, is this game THAT hard to understand? It took all of TWO times for me to get attacked and plundered to find that little blue tab. I watched the replay, understood my mistake and FIXED IT! The only time that hasn't really worked since then is when a totally overpowered player smacked me around. And then I got diplomatic. I convinced him that it was much more profitable being my friend since I aided and "bar hopped"/"pub crawled" each day. And it's been a lovely friendship ever since.

I see some of the sh--tuff y'all are posting and I'm just shaking my head. Is this game THAT difficult? I read what was posted by one of you plundering types on how the noobs SHOULD run a city, and it was sh--tuff I'd figured out all on my little lonesome. Seriously, am I missing something? That's a real question. Or are the other noobs just idiots?

I might not be a wolf, but I'm NO sheep! Anyone got a metaphor for that?

DeletedUser32172

So, I'm not anywhere NEAR done reading and I'm seeing that y'all are getting threatened? By the pansies who haven't figure out how to defend themselves in the game?!?! A part of me wants to ask if you're joking, but, sadly, I know you're not.

I will admit I was whiny about getting attacked for a few weeks...ONLY. That was when I thought I'd try the plundering out for myself. I get it to a point. And when I get plundered, I have 2 reactions, generally speaking; 1) IT'S A GAME! Get over it. AND (yes, typically together), 2) it's my own damn fault (usually). Getting attacked and plundered by someone who is nominally in the same age and place on the research tree as I am but has Arctic GB's is NOT a level playing field!

Or is that too much to ask? No, seriously, I wanna know. My take is this; all things being equal, if I'm smart about it, I'll usually come out on top, defending myself. When both players have the same access to the same GB's, tavern boosts, play in the GE to get all the age appropriate units (especially if one just flipped into the next age and it's necessary to be quick about getting the home team's military up to speed)...everything's equal, maybe I just have a better guild who helps level my Zeus and my CoA up faster, or maybe you do (yeah, yeah, I KNOW that's not exactly how they work, I'm still figuring it out. Sue me.). It's a wash. Right?

Or am I being naive?

Obviously, from what I just posted *points to post just above*, I'm not what you could call aggressive, so am I...never mind. I think I know the answer to my own question. It would just be mutual mental masturbation at this point; which I'm all for...but, yeah...redundant after a while.

Damn. I'm sorry you guys have to put up with that kind of stuff. If I thought apologizing on their behalf would actually DO anything or MEAN something, I would. *shurgs*

You DO realize you're posting all your "secrets" right? ;)

DeletedUser32172

I continue to plunder in one world since I cannot get enough goods (seriously baffling...). Anyway, I received 2 friend requests today after I went through and attacked everyone. Didn't plunder either of them (yet) and they still sent a request. No, thanks.

That would be my tactic, though I'd open a dialogue first; but would you be willing to share why you won't accept their FR?

Friends close...you know the rest.

DeletedUser29295

You DO realize you're posting all your "secrets" right? ;)

I honestly would not call them secrets: mostly because there are threads and threads about how to set up a city, defend it, keep from being taxed by people like me. But in the long run we do this because we enjoy the game, and want others to enjoy it as well. We will help and teach, but under most circumstances it falls upon deaf keys.

If you are in my hood, I will attack and tax you. If you are in my hood and earn my respect, I will not tax you as hard as others. And sometimes I will even let a hood player know that by giving them direct advice on how to better attack/defend. And there are some I have even told them to send me a FR and I will accept it. And then I will help them as others once assisted me when I first started.

DeletedUser32172

I honestly would not call them secrets: mostly because there are threads and threads about how to set up a city, defend it, keep from being taxed by people like me. But in the long run we do this because we enjoy the game, and want others to enjoy it as well. We will help and teach, but under most circumstances it falls upon deaf keys.

If you are in my hood, I will attack and tax you. If you are in my hood and earn my respect, I will not tax you as hard as others. And sometimes I will even let a hood player know that by giving them direct advice on how to better attack/defend. And there are some I have even told them to send me a FR and I will accept it. And then I will help them as others once assisted me when I first started.

Gotcha. And I knew all of the first part, more or less. I was just playing. ;)

And we all have to start out at the bottom; I'm a pretty big believer of paying it forward. How you chose to do that is up to you. You're obviously not, overall, malicious. You're not what I'd call...kind or gentle, and if you were in my hood, I would be counting down the days until the neighborhood shuffle two-step, but I can totally respect how you play and why you play the way you do.

As I keep telling someone else in another game, in the end, it's all just 1's and 0's. Getting so wrapped up that you forget that small but very crucial detail, in the end, could be a VERY BAD MISTAKE. In this case, probably relationship ending. Hell! it's why I got into FoE in the first place! And now THEY'RE paying the price....

...but now I'm oversharing because I'm overtired. Gotta love insomnia and responsibilities. Not exactly a great combination.

BUT! I appreciate the frank and honest discussion. I'm learning a thing or two. So, thanks. :)

DeletedUser31592

That would be my tactic, though I'd open a dialogue first; but would you be willing to share why you won't accept their FR?

Friends close...you know the rest.

Because I'm in Iron Age and can only plunder about 25 of the 80ish people due to the PvP change. I'm not taking people out of that small pool. And, again, Iron Age. I have no use for Iron Age friends. No burgundy table cloth for FPs (these two in particular- I have one in IA) and I have no need for BPs I get from aiding. I don't need more people to aid me or sit in my tavern, so the only way those two players benefit me is by leaving goods to be plundered.

And, again, in my 3 years, this is the only time I've had to rely on plundering. My main city has plundered someone ONCE- to fulfill a quest. I'm terrible at it, lol. I leave them alone unless there are goods or a special building to plunder. Yesterday I saw a Pole House and as soon as I clicked on it, I realized that it would just give me coins since it has to be motivated to produce medals. Like I said, I'm a terrible plunderer.