• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Dulahan's guidelines to lvl 80 arc rush (and beyond), starting from bronze age

• Thread starter DeletedUser29218
  • Start date

DeletedUser

I think the problem is when people ask for advice on the best way to proceed, people chiming in saying "I do this, and look my city is good" is just not helpful when there are better courses of action.
No, the problem is you thinking you know the best way for everyone to play, when you have little experience compared to many other people on the Forums. You subscribe to the idiotic cult that thinks there is only one "optimal" way to play and anyone who doesn't agree is just wrong. You and your ilk are the ones that aren't helpful.

DeletedUser31308

No, the problem is you thinking you know the best way for everyone to play, when you have little experience compared to many other people on the Forums. You subscribe to the idiotic cult that thinks there is only one "optimal" way to play and anyone who doesn't agree is just wrong. You and your ilk are the ones that aren't helpful.

There is one optimal way to play for any given goal. Because of the complexity in determining all the details of that way, the truly optimal path is yet to be fully determined. That said, if the goal is to bring all your good GBs to lvl 100 as quickly as possible (100 is arbitrary, read as "make your city absurdly strong"), it makes sense that the optimal way to achieve that goal is to produce as many FPs as possible over the minimum required time period, which can be achieved by investing FPs into the FP production with the highest ROI available. (Assuming the ROI allows the FP investments to be paid off in the time it would take to get all your important GBs to that point). The ROI of FPs in inventory is 0, period. If an FP is never used for a snipe or swap, it is not producing anything. It's money under the mattress. Literally any other use of FPs has a higher ROI, even self leveling. The only way an ROI of 0 is better is if your FP investments wont pay off before your ultimate goal.

Obviously, people have different goals. This guide has one goal though, which is the above. Make your city as strong as possible as fast as possible. The only way sitting on thousands of unused FPs is superior is if you are already incredibly close to your ultimate goal. Seeing as this game is never ending, though, and neither is the potential for progress, the only time you will really be close to your ultimate goal is just before quitting the game (which I don't recommend strategizing around).

Salsuero's method is purely inferior at doing the above. He makes fewer FPs in the short and long terms by letting his FPs sit unused in packs instead of investing them in GBs or snipes. This means that someone following his strategy would take longer to raise all their GBs than someone swapping/sniping all their FPs with all else equal. That is the definition of inferior, given both players have the same ultimate goals.

Salsuero could concede that his goals are different, and thus his method suits his goals. That's fine, he can do that. But he is actually arguing that his ROI of 0 is superior to the methods detailed in this guide at strengthening your city. That is as demonstrably false as 2+2=4. 100 FP getting an ROI of 0 yields 100 FP. 100 FP at an ROI of 30% (common for my swaps, I get 100% of FPs returned in my GBs as well as about 30% of my FPs back from swap rewards, often more) yields 130 FP. 130 FP > 100 FP. There's no wiggle room to argue about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

There is one optimal way to play for any given goal. Because of the complexity in determining all the details of that way, the truly optimal path is yet to be fully determined. That said, if the goal is to bring all your good GBs to lvl 100 as quickly as possible (100 is arbitrary, read as "make your city absurdly strong"), it makes sense that the optimal way to achieve that goal is to produce as many FPs as possible over the minimum required time period, which can be achieved by investing FPs into the FP production with the highest ROI available. (Assuming the ROI allows the FP investments to be paid off in the time it would take to get all your important GBs to that point). The ROI of FPs in inventory is 0, period. If an FP is never used for a snipe or swap, it is not producing anything. It's money under the mattress. Literally any other use of FPs has a higher ROI, even self leveling. The only way an ROI of 0 is better is if your FP investments wont pay off before your ultimate goal.

Obviously, people have different goals. This guide has one goal though, which is the above. Make your city as strong as possible as fast as possible. The only way sitting on thousands of unused FPs is superior is if you are already incredibly close to your ultimate goal. Seeing as this game is never ending, though, and neither is the potential for progress, the only time you will really be close to your ultimate goal is just before quitting the game (which I don't recommend strategizing around).

Salsuero's method is purely inferior at doing the above. He makes fewer FPs in the short and long terms by letting his FPs sit unused in packs instead of investing them in GBs or snipes. This means that someone following his strategy would take longer to raise all their GBs than someone swapping/sniping all their FPs with all else equal. That is the definition of inferior, given both players have the same ultimate goals.

Salsuero could concede that his goals are different, and thus his method suits his goals. That's fine, he can do that. But he is actually arguing that his ROI of 0 is superior to the methods detailed in this guide at strengthening your city. That is as demonstrably false as 2+2=4. 100 FP getting an ROI of 0 yields 100 FP. 100 FP at an ROI of 30% (common for my swaps, I get 100% of FPs returned in my GBs as well as about 30% of my FPs back from swap rewards, often more) yields 130 FP. 130 FP > 100 FP. There's no wiggle room to argue about this.
I wasn't talking to you.

Salsuero

Salsuero's method is purely inferior at doing the above. He makes fewer FPs in the short and long terms by letting his FPs sit unused in packs instead of investing them in GBs or snipes.

You're an idiot. You have no way of knowing how I invest or do not invest. You assume. Just because I have 15k+ in FPs doesn't mean they just sit there doing nothing. Stop trolling... because without the actual facts, that's what you are doing. Did I ever claim not to use my forge points? How do you think I even accumulated my forge points? You are all idiots trying to explain away my success as failure. Blah!

Salsuero could concede that his goals are different, and thus his method suits his goals. That's fine, he can do that. But he is actually arguing that his ROI of 0 is superior to the methods detailed in this guide at strengthening your city.

First of all, I already said my goals are MY goals. So what's left to concede? No, I never argued such a thing. I argued that my way is best for ME. It was you folks who chose to argue MY point. The question asked by the person who sparked this whole thing was whether to collect or spend. I gave my answer. I stand by it.

How many FPs would you suggest I keep in FP packs. I know they are useful for sniping neighbors for 1st or 2nd on buildings others haven't seen yet, but the reward for that seems kind of low. I have 250 at the moment and am wondering if I'm not better served by investing most of them now and saving like 50-100 for sniping.

This was the original question that I responded to.

Save as many as you can. You'll use them in the future. You're thinking way too small and near-term. The future is FP-intensive, whether it be the tech tree or GB investments. You can never have too many FPs in inventory. Risk from collection, profit from packs.

And that was my response. I never said he shouldn't be using his forge points. I said he should be saving as many as he can to have more spending power. More spending = more medals, more prints, more FP profit. Having FPs in inventory is useful if you aren't using them. However, spending everything you have is not wise and leaving just 50-100 for sniping is nowhere near enough to be useful. In my opinion, you should have as many in inventory as possible for when you want to make that super snipe. How do you snipe a high-level GB worth lots of prints and medals with just 100 FPs? That's not wise IN MY OPINION. There's nothing wrong with my response to the question posed as it was. I don't care about "your" strategies. I'm not arguing anything about them. I was offering a PERSONAL opinion to the person who asked the question. Get it? Got it? Good!

Last edited:

DeletedUser31882

Best for who, troll?
How does my method hinder your progress? It certainly isn't hindering mine! Go tell someone else you know more and what is best... perhaps someone with less intellect.

Inefficient or nonoptimal advice is bad, especially in context of the topic. Especially if the audience is working under the assumption of 'best/optimal' and not just 'what works'.

Your advice was interpreted as promoting saving. Others argued that saving, by itself, is meaningless without a spending plan. There is no reason to be taking this so personal.

You're an idiot. I'm not arguing anything about them. I was offering a PERSONAL opinion to the person who asked the question. Get it? Got it? Good!

Sometimes, I wonder if you prefer trolling than making a strong argument for your personal opinion. Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean it is immune to critique or somehow sacrosanct. Especially in a topic that is about optimization... If you continue to argue your opinion as something sacrosanct, maybe you should look at why you are arguing its validity in the first place.

I think it is fair to critique your personal advice, dissect it and discuss it in the context of this thread.

DeletedUser29218

You're an idiot. You have no way of knowing how I invest or do not invest. You assume. Just because I have 15k+ in FPs doesn't mean they just sit there doing nothing. Stop trolling... because without the actual facts, that's what you are doing. Did I ever claim not to use my forge points? How do you think I even accumulated my forge points? You are all idiots trying to explain away my success as failure. Blah!

No need to assume. You have said you can never have too many. If I followed that advice, I would be sitting at over 70k FPs in inventory, while being able to use, at most, 25-30k. Or maybe not, maybe I would have much lower FPs in stock, because I would have saved.. 5-10k when I could use <500.

First of all, I already said my goals are MY goals. So what's left to concede? No, I never argued such a thing. I argued that my way is best for ME. It was you folks who chose to argue MY point. The question asked by the person who sparked this whole thing was whether to collect or spend. I gave my answer. I stand by it.

This was the original question that I responded to.

This was the part of your comment that I wanted to answer the most. You are not answering an isolated question posted in forge hall or question sections, you are replying to a question posted within a guide thread. So, your answer is expected to be in line of that same thread, or as a follow-up response to a discussion that popped up in the last posts (which was not the case, as your answer was stand-alone). I fully subscribe each of ThruTHEhead's words about the goals I had when making this guide.

Of course you can have a different opinion and express it. But if you do so, state that your advise clearly differs from the guide spirit.
Also, if you do so don't say "that's just how I play it and I'm good". Because if all you can do is that, you are just filling pages with empty content (and causing confusion at that).

Salsuero

Inefficient or nonoptimal advice is bad, especially in context of the topic. Especially if the audience is working under the assumption of 'best/optimal' and not just 'what works'.

Your advice was interpreted as promoting saving. Others argued that saving, by itself, is meaningless without a spending plan. There is no reason to be taking this so personal.

Sometimes, I wonder if you prefer trolling than making a strong argument for your personal opinion. Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean it is immune to critique or somehow sacrosanct. Especially in a topic that is about optimization... If you continue to argue your opinion as something sacrosanct, maybe you should look at why you are arguing its validity in the first place.

I think it is fair to critique your personal advice, dissect it and discuss it in the context of this thread.

Keep wondering. You obviously don't understand the history. I offered an opinion. It was argued based on nothing. Saying my way is worse just because your way is better... even though my answer addressed the question... that's not acceptable to me. I never said don't spend. I actually said having a large inventory makes spending that much easier. People who fail to read what I write or simply lack the skills to comprehend my words... those are the people who seem to think I'm failing at this game if I don't play according to "their" rules.

The title of this thread involves a rush to a level 80 Arc. I think the question posed had NOTHING to do with getting an Arc to level 80 as quickly as possible. Therefore... it was off the rails long before I got to it.

DeletedUser31498

You're an idiot. You have no way of knowing how I invest or do not invest. You assume. Just because I have 15k+ in FPs doesn't mean they just sit there doing nothing. Stop trolling... because without the actual facts, that's what you are doing. Did I ever claim not to use my forge points? How do you think I even accumulated my forge points? You are all idiots trying to explain away my success as failure.

Wow Captain Name-Cally. Do Chill pills actually exist? You should take a couple. But don't OD, we need your bad advice to help stoke a useful contrast to good advice.

Don't even know where to start with all your horrible contradictions...but probably the most glaring:
Save as many as you can. You'll use them in the future. You're thinking way too small and near-term. The future is FP-intensive, whether it be the tech tree or GB investments. You can never have too many FPs in inventory. Risk from collection, profit from packs.

You can never have too many FPs in inventory. That comment alone should be so blatantly wrong to anyone who has ever played seriously that it doesn't even merit discussion.

But anyway:
More spending = more medals, more prints, more FP profit.

So on the one hand, save as many as possible, on the other hand, spend them since you do at least seem to understand that you only benefit by actually spending them. OP is never going to snipe first on a level 60 Arc buy spending 300 FPs, as you know. He doesn't have an Arc I don't think (or at least very low level), and CLEARLY stated he doesnt have big sniping opportunities. So him saving 10k FPs is really stupid for him to do.

@Salsuero your main problem, and that of most people here I clash with, is you all are so self-centered that you can't apply logic to OTHER people's situations. 250 FPs in inventory would be terrible for you, since you spend a lot to snipe valuable spots. HE'S NOT YOU. He clearly stated his ability to snipe and it requires far less than you would. As such, WHAT ACTUAL NUMBER do you think he should keep on hand? You have 15k, that is too many. You've stated 100 is too few. that's a really big range. So pick a number he should target. You talk in ridiculous non-helpful absolutes. So give a number that one could find useful maybe.

@HQS cant join forum you replied similarly to me before I submitted, so a bit redundant. But yes, it's so frustrating when people post and don't actually address poster's concerns. Either selfish, ignorant, oblivious, no clue what causes this so often.

Salsuero

You are not answering an isolated question posted in forge hall or question sections, you are replying to a question posted within a guide thread. So, your answer should be in the lines of that same thread, or as a follow-up response to a discussion that popped up in the last posts (which was not the case, as your answer was stand-alone). I fully subscribe each of ThruTHEhead's words about the goals I had when making this guide.

The question had nothing to do with getting an Arc to level 80 as quickly as possible. It had nothing to do with starting in Bronze Age. I answered a question that was not even in line with this thread's original topic.

Salsuero

Wow Captain Name-Cally. Do Chill pills actually exist? You should take a couple. But don't OD, we need your bad advice to help stoke a useful contrast to good advice.

Don't even know where to start with all your horrible contradictions...but probably the most glaring:

You can never have too many FPs in inventory. That comment alone should be so blatantly wrong to anyone who has ever played seriously that it doesn't even merit discussion.

But anyway:

So on the one hand, save as many as possible, on the other hand, spend them since you do at least seem to understand that you only benefit by actually spending them. OP is never going to snipe first on a level 60 Arc buy spending 300 FPs, as you know. He doesn't have an Arc I don't think (or at least very low level), and CLEARLY stated he doesnt have big sniping opportunities. So him saving 10k FPs is really stupid for him to do.

@Salsuero your main problem, and that of most people here I clash with, is you all are so self-centered that you can't apply logic to OTHER people's situations. 250 FPs in inventory would be terrible for you, since you spend a lot to snipe valuable spots. HE'S NOT YOU. He clearly stated his ability to snipe and it requires far less than you would. As such, WHAT ACTUAL NUMBER do you think he should keep on hand? You have 15k, that is too many. You've stated 100 is too few. that's a really big range. So pick a number he should target. You talk in ridiculous non-helpful absolutes. So give a number that one could find useful maybe.

I will happily go about being wrong. It works great! Only an idiot wouldn't understand that saving is equal to spending flexibility. I never said save and never use. That would be stupid. However, saving almost nothing doesn't allow you to be as effective in the bigger game. You are small potatoes when you save small potatoes. I spend TONS of forge points... how? Why? Because I have TONS saved. I didn't always have an Arc. I still sniped lots. He doesn't know how. That doesn't mean he shouldn't keep amassing profits to become better at it. I didn't start with 15k. I started where he did. Now I can snipe whatever I need/want. I do large swaps on the fly... no thought about losing a few FPs. I did a 480 instant swap the other day... because I could and it benefited me and my swap partner. He could too, but he wouldn't be able to do that without saving. But you are calling him an idiot for trying to get to a level that would make his spending power more flexible. And to that, I disagree. You think 15k is too many? I would like to argue that since I use upwards of 12k at times on Arcs and Krakens, among many other lesser GBs. Sometimes I get pretty low and I have to actually slow up a bit. I invest my FPs. Having as many as I do allows me to have already all of the victory expansions in this game... in HMA... where he is. I wonder if he'd like to have all of the victory expansions too? You play your way. My advice worked for me. Others ask me how I do it. So, it stands to reason that my advice could work for someone who isn't me. All you do is troll. Nothing more to say to you.

Last edited:

DeletedUser31498

I will happily go about being wrong. It works great! Only an idiot wouldn't understand that saving is equal to spending flexibility. I never said save and never use. That would be stupid. However, saving almost nothing doesn't allow you to be as effective in the bigger game. You are small potatoes when you save small potatoes. I spend TONS of forge points... how? Why? Because I have TONS saved. I didn't always have an Arc. I still sniped lots. He doesn't know how. That doesn't mean he shouldn't keep amassing profits to become better at it. I didn't start with 15k. I started where he did. Now I can snipe whatever I need/want. He could too. But you are calling him an idiot for trying to get to a level that would make his spending power more flexible. And to that, I disagree. You think 15k is too many? I would like to argue that since I use upwards of 12k at times on Arcs and Krakens, among many other lesser GBs. Sometimes I get pretty low and I have to actually slow up a bit. I invest my FPs. Having as many as I do allows me to have already all of the victory expansions in this game... in HMA... where he is. I wonder if he'd like to have all of the victory expansions too? You play your way. My advice worked for me. Others ask me how I do it. So, it stands to reason that my advice could work for someone who isn't me. All you do is troll. Nothing more to say to you.
I wish you would actually address any of my criticisms instead of personally attacking me. I asked you for a number he should target for his inventory. Instead, you say I'm a troll? I'm trying to come up with USEFUL advice!!! you wrote: "Save as many as you can. You'll use them in the future."

Ummm ok, so stop when he gets to what #? It's insane you think you're helping when you speak in generics. How can he actually apply your advice. Just keep saving until he posts again and you tell him to stop and start spending?

Just please stop posting. Obviously you're in defensive mode and aren't even responding to anything helpful, just throwing out personal attacks that take up room and help no one.

DeletedUser32824

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are about alcatraz as it pertains to this guide. I'm thinking about building it as having lots of unattached rogues for general use within my city sounds pretty appealing. I'm still hanging on to some crossbow ranges because I never get that unit from GE and they are one of my favorite units. If I sold all 3 of them I would make a decent amount of room for Traz. My only trouble with the prospect is that I might have to sell some alchemists to make room, which would reduce my overall FP intake by a little bit. But I also think it would help me save a lot on goods for the GE (I ran out this week on the 64th encounter) which might allow me to trade up and get my Arc more easily. It would also pretty much guarantee I have enough happiness to get an Inno tower sooner than later (once my gold intake is sustainable without so many houses) and not run into any problems with losing my 120%.

Looking forward to your input.

Edit: As an update I try to keep at least 50FP on hand and I save FP in inventory until I can spend enough to get my GB to a lockable level with lvl 80 arc. I'll go below 50 if it's a good snipe or a good BP opportunity. This has worked well for me since I haven't yet ran into a situation where I needed more than 50 FP for anything that I wasn't expecting. I appreciate all the input you guys have put into it!

Salsuero

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are about alcatraz as it pertains to this guide.

I'd actually like to know how your question actually pertains to this guide, since this seems to be a real point of contention here. I could offer my input on the Alcatraz... but I have no idea how it actually pertains to this guide to not offend people. 100% not a troll response. I have no idea what you are asking for in terms of advice where it would apply to this guide. Is it simply the concern that building the Alcatraz might stymie in a small sense your ability to generate FPs? Having an Alcatraz can make plundering easier... GE easier... both which can generate FPs. So I'm not sure... is that the concern?

DeletedUser32824

I'd actually like to know how your question actually pertains to this guide, since this seems to be a real point of contention here. I could offer my input on the Alcatraz... but I have no idea how it actually pertains to this guide to not offend people. 100% not a troll response. I have no idea what you are asking for in terms of advice where it would apply to this guide.
By the end of Middle HMA stage we will have the following GB:

-Arc (lvl 10)
-Inno Tower (lvl 1). Optional but very recommended if we can find a nice goods seller.
-Frontenac (lvl 10). lvl 8 or 9 might be better, I'm not sure on this one.
-LoA (lvl ??). Probably lvl 2-3
-StM (lvl ??). Depends a lot on the number of SoKs and SSW that we can get.
-Cape Canaveral (around lvl 4). Optional, only recommended if we can find a very nice good seller.
-Temple of relics (lvl 1). Build it when you have the BP, but don't level it.
-Hagia Sophia (lvl ??). Situational. Build only if the useful buildings from the special events + roads don't cover your happyness needs, and you are using (and will keep doing so in the near future) more than 27 tiles, roads included in non-events-cultural buildingsultural building to offset it. If you build it, keep it at lvl 3.
-CdM (lvl ??). Optional. This one is actually on the edge of being worth it or not. The reason is that it competes with alchemists for FP production, but CdM requires FP investment, and alchemists don't.
If your guild has a rule to put FP on GB platforms, don't have access to cheap goods for Inno Tower and expect a long lvl 80 arc project (because there aren't lvl 80 arcs in your server, or you couldn't make good deals with them) build it until lvl 3. If not... don't build it until you have finished your lvl 80 arc project.
and
3- Never do anything that reduces the total amount of FP you will earn

HQS says above that CF should be lvl 10 but later in this thread says about lvl 6 is most efficient. So I'm wondering if he has experience with Alcatraz that is contrary to his initial guide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Salsuero

Right. But... I don't understand how the Alcatraz fits into this guide... that's my question. How do you wish it to fit into the scope of the guide so that it can be addressed? I asked if your concern was the loss of tiles to generate FPs... though you can use the Alcatraz to plunder and win GE rewards more effectively... so it seems like it's possible to still generate FPs. But are you saying you don't want one because you are following this guide to the letter? Can you not do "more" than this guide in addition to it?

DeletedUser32824

Right. But... I don't understand how the Alcatraz fits into this guide... that's my question. How do you wish it to fit into the scope of the guide so that it can be addressed? I asked if your concern was the loss of tiles to generate FPs... though you can use the Alcatraz to plunder and win GE rewards more effectively... so it seems like it's possible to still generate FPs. But are you saying you don't want one because you are following this guide to the letter? Can you not do "more" than this guide in addition to it?
The concern is the tradeoff of land used for RQ vs. Alcatraz. I'm not sure if the net gain is worth the land investment. It would guarantee I can get 64/48 in GE, but as of right now I can get through at least half of GE4 reliably with negotiation. Traz would guarantee I make 64. I could also just up my CF to get more goods, which would be an FP investment over land, solving the same problem.

I'm not necessarily following the guide to the letter. In the end I'll probably build traz, because it seems like a good investment. I'm just wondering if my desire of traz is shortsighted.

DeletedUser29218

and

HQS says above that CF should be lvl 10 but later in this thread says about lvl 6 is most efficient. So I'm wondering if he has experience with Alcatraz that is contrary to his initial guide.
Actually I didn't say lvl 6 is most efficient. Some people commented that, according to their numbers and city, not lvling it to 10 was best (which I also suspected, but only after lvling mine to 10). In the guide I focus more on the method than the numbers, because every city is different (depends on server, buildings from events, etc.) and because I did some big mistakes myself.

Whether 3,5,6 or 8 is best... the only way to know for sure is to bring your hands into the mud and calculate it. You have to understand that I can't test everything that's being written here. If it sounds reasonable, follows the spirit of the guide and leads other forumers to contribute, I let it be. Otherwise I "correct" them.

I'm going to edit the part that you quoted though, as I agree the wording wasn't the best.

The concern is the tradeoff of land used for RQ vs. Alcatraz. I'm not sure if the net gain is worth the land investment. It would guarantee I can get 64/48 in GE, but as of right now I can get through at least half of GE4 reliably with negotiation. Traz would guarantee I make 64. I could also just up my CF to get more goods, which would be an FP investment over land, solving the same problem.

I'm not necessarily following the guide to the letter. In the end I'll probably build traz, because it seems like a good investment. I'm just wondering if my desire of traz is shortsighted.

The general framework I explained when deciding if some GBs like HS, IT, etc. should be build can be modified to adress this.
1- Calculate how many alchemist are you losing by building alcatraz and a rogue hideout (include roads, happyness and pop in that).
2- Make a hyptothesis about how many FPs you could plunder vs how many you plunder now, at different lvls of alcatraz.
3- Compare the FPs spent for the lvl you are targeting to other investments.

As a side note, in the particular case of alcatraz you also need to spent a lot of time plundering each day (whereas other GBs is just collecting).
GE should be a non-factor. You should have enough goods to negotiate all GE if you use tabern. A guild mate who changed his strategy mid-way and built CF is doing so since lvl 2-3 CF (althought overleveled LoA and StM). If GE is your concert, just lvl a bit more CF and/or experiment with different negotiation tecniques.

For it to be worth you need to spent an insane amount of time in the game though, looking for snipes 2+ times a day + plundering your hood.