• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Plunder party

• Thread starter DeletedUser10720
  • Start date

DeletedUser13736

This game has a lot of things different people consider problematic. As mentioned above, high level arcs and teams dedicated to plunder targets have both been brought up, there are countless threads dedicated to issues with plunderers, defensive army A.I. GB capping, camping in ages for near endless timeframes... all of these can be considered a form of twisting and manipulating the rules. All of which are considered pretty standard things to do, if not recommended. This is just a new form of one of these ideas to throw into the ring. No player has to adhire to it, some may attempt it, some may try to adjust it to their style and some may ignore it entirely.
While I do agree with the arc sentiment, I don't feel that issues with plunderers, def. army AI, GB capping, and camping is a form of twisting and manipulating the rules. Clever idea btw.

DeletedUser10720

While I do agree with the arc sentiment, I don't feel that issues with plunderers, def. army AI, GB capping, and camping is a form of twisting and manipulating the rules. Clever idea btw.

I don't necessarily think that entire list is twisting or bending the rules. I meant to point out that there are many aspects to thus game that have had many people complain or claim that one of these mechanics was exploiting something. And the majority of the things on the list are accepted as standard ways of play.

DeletedUser26965

I have tried to set this idea up in different hoods from time to time, but have had very little luck with responses or setting up a successful team. So I wanted to float this to the wider audience of the forums to see if people think it's a functional idea.

Similar to the weekly GB donation teams some guilds setup. I have thought of the plunder party.

The basic idea being a team of 4 ( yourself plus 3) all (ideally) with voyager and Atlantis GBs.

Each day you agree to a predetermined building to target. Such as a terrace farm on a 24hour cook. Share defensive army details and collection times to allow a successful attack and plunder.

You will be plundered 3x daily. Once by each of the other members in the party, and in return you plunder 3x. Earning the same / equal reward to what was lost, plus the goods from voyager and the chance of double output from Atlantis.

I know that a lot of people attack and plunder indiscriminately and wouldn't want to lose their productions, but many are also hesitant to do so, based on their place in a hood, attack levels, fear of retaliation or whatever other factors effect them. That said I still think it could be a fun idea to get more hood activity going.
When Atlantis first came it was brought up [Feedback] Oceanic Future - Part 1 Not sure if anyone really goes to the trouble of doing it though to much of a degree anyway. Guess they're all too busy leveling Arcs or something.

DeletedUser31882

Huh. This seems really pertinent to the Plunder Thread screed arguments I've been doing. *Mentally files away* I'm kinda sad I just now found the thread! (Thanks SJS for the bump leading to my discovery!)

I'd participate, in theory. In practice, I think it would be too much logistical deadlines for me to stick with. Sounds like safe profit if you can wrangle a trustworthy plunder party together! Potential abuse is if a bad actor plunderer (Those don't exist, right?) gets involved and sabotages the operation somehow. I suppose that would be short lived though. Don't pony up your Palace for a plunder? Out of the party you go!

As to the Ethical question: If the argument is this is unethical, then pillaging is unethical, regardless of motivation. I agree that this counts as a collusion behavior, but the only harm I see would be to other potential plunderers 'missing out' on their chance to 'regular, obligation free' plunder the people in the party. I agree with that this isn't different than the GB swap clubs, as those are collusion to secure contribution race rewards. The only difference is logistics and what people consider 'fair'. Like fair trades, that is up to the rule of man to enforce.

As it stands, I don't see this as a similar crime to insider trading (GB swaps would fall under that logic, if we considered it unethical). I see the only potential harmed parties to be other plunderers that have still have the ability to plunder the plunder party members. I see no foul, and thus no twisting of morals or ethics. It does show the participating person being willing to collude in a high logistics operation for profit, so vigilance dictates caution with dealings with said persons. I always advocate vigilance, so I guess this and my last statement are superfluous.

DeletedUser10720

I'd participate, in theory. In practice, I think it would be too much logistical deadlines for me to stick with. Sounds like safe profit if you can wrangle a trustworthy plunder party together! Potential abuse is if a bad actor plunderer (Those don't exist, right?) gets involved and sabotages the operation somehow. I suppose that would be short lived though. Don't pony up your Palace for a plunder? Out of the party you go!

That seems to be the issue I've run into in my attempts at setting one of the plunder party up.
I have tried usually to set them up on the first chance i get after a hood shift. Needless to say, a new hoodie asking you to share defense and collect info is seen with a proper amount of suspicion.

There are a lot of chances that opens up, with any of the party members deciding to not share their part, the damage is already done if they're aware of cycle times and boost % rates. So that could create many issues. Combined with the relatively short period of time you have to get to know the hood in comparison to guildies or friends FP trades are usually setup with, and it does become risky.
Though I suppose that if one were so inclined they could attempt to seek hoodies that belonged to allied guilds or share a mutually known friend to somewhat remedy this.

DeletedUser33508

Intriguing idea! I'm also fascinated that some feel that there are "ethics" in game play. Seems odd to conflate moral behavior IRL, with the boundary exploration of a system (ie: a plunder party), existing in it's entirety as a coded computer simulation. The only thing that's actually happening in any game action (including plunder parties) is that some ones and zeros get re-ordered. How is there any moral component to that?

DeletedUser10720

Intriguing idea! I'm also fascinated that some feel that there are "ethics" in game play. Seems odd to conflate moral behavior IRL, with the boundary exploration of a system (ie: a plunder party), existing in it's entirety as a coded computer simulation. The only thing that's actually happening in any game action (including plunder parties) is that some ones and zeros get re-ordered. How is there any moral component to that?

I use morals and ethics in a lot of the setup and what I do in my city. I view myself as the leader of my population. How I build my city and what my resources are dedicated to, is scaled on how I believe resource distribution would be fair.

Coin and supply are taxes put on the citizens and businesses. The government can spend as needed. ( building a military, new roads and parks, urban development and job creation)
Goods are the communal output of the citizens and should be spent making their lives better. ( GBs, tech advancement, peaceful negotiations when possible.)

I have implemented this directly into how my city has been built, as I view it, my citizens 'want' to collectively spend their resources constructing GBs and advancing tech, so I as the governing body have allowed maximum usage of resources to that goal. (Completing tech and constructing all GBs)
In the HMA I did not construct the church as a cultural building, because the government shouldn't spend tax money on a specific religious building. But the community chose to build the Notre dame and cathedral of aachen with their collective goods.

I generally attack at random, avoiding repeat plunders because ethically I believe that you shouldn't just take the easy target and rob them blind. I generally only attack when necessary and only plunder if something is immidiately available. Rarely do I return to plunder, and really unless it's part of a quest I won't go out of my way to attack the hood.
I try to regularly send aid to foreign countries and represent my citizens as friendly so we will receive aid in return. Work trade deals and allies to share larger scale rewards with.

This plunder party idea is born out of that actually. Minimizing loss to the plundered while earning a larger reward through a military 'war games' style team. In my mind, somewhat more moral than outright plundering those that happen to be distracted today or not as powerful.

All in all. I think many people do play with some kind of moral mindset. Even if it's not one they so actively think about.

DeletedUser11463

If you think that a mutual plundering club is the ethical equivalent of a GB club...
Although, lot's of people must agree with you, or we wouldn't have the White House resident that we currently have.
Yeah the other option woulda been so much better. Sold uranium to the enemy for personal profit. Created a foundation to get pay-for-play (notice how the donators all disappeared after she lost). Yep, that option was so much better :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

DeletedUser31882

Yeah the other option woulda been so much better. Sold uranium to the enemy for personal profit. Created a foundation to get pay-for-play (notice how the donators all disappeared after she lost). Yep, that option was so much better :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ah, party politics. Where nobody is clean on the opposing team and all the information conveniently demonizes the enemy while exonerating & justifying the friendly.

DeletedUser26965

Tribalism
Since we're stepping into political philosophy, everyone is tribal, that's just natural and no "new man" program will change that. The fun part of examining people's positions on tribalism is how they often think themselves above it somehow while simultaneously practicing it, the cognitive dissonance in such people must be the cause of migraines in them I'm sure, I pity them.

Graviton

Sure, people are naturally social creatures and naturally gravitate toward like-minded individuals. Which is different than political tribalism, which is defined pretty much exactly how Titris described it: my team is awesome and even when they do wrong it's okay; your team sucks and is evil and eats babies.

DeletedUser26965

Sure, people are naturally social creatures and naturally gravitate toward like-minded individuals. Which is different than political tribalism, which is defined pretty much exactly how Titris described it: my team is awesome and even when they do wrong it's okay; your team sucks and is evil and eats babies.
Well, that's a rather simplistic explanation of it that goes to how it can go "wrong" so to speak, tribalism is complex as you touched on, sure you could branch off in ways and begin to categorize and try to clarify what is or isn't this or that type but at the end of the day it's just people doing things.

oh, but wanted to mention as well, it's nothing but a recipe for disaster to promote anti-tribalism while your opponent practices it, nothing will get your people wiped out faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent327

Nothing wrong with the idea. Similar to players in the hood agreeing to defending with artillery and attacking with anything that flies, just to score points.

I would not participate because of the Blue Galaxy. I have a better chance collecting my own terracefarms for instance.

DeletedUser31882

Well, that's a rather simplistic explanation of it that goes to how it can go "wrong" so to speak, tribalism is complex as you touched on, sure you could branch off in ways and begin to categorize and try to clarify what is or isn't this or that type but at the end of the day it's just people doing things.

oh, but wanted to mention as well, it's nothing but a recipe for disaster to promote anti-tribalism while your opponent practices it, nothing will get your people wiped out faster.

Eh, I wouldn't count pointing out tribalism as necessarily an anti-tribalism promotion. More like a "Hey, Check your Tribalism, Bro!" rather than a "Stop rooting for you home-team you darn dirty ape tribalist!". At least, I see those as different.

Also, I wanted to jab at you with this:
~a rather simplistic explanation
~but at the end of the day it's just people doing things
CHOOSE ONE! wait... er... huh.

I would not participate because of the Blue Galaxy. I have a better chance collecting my own terracefarms for instance.

Huh, I wonder if the Devs considered that implication when designing the Blue Galaxy. *shrugs*

DeletedUser26965

but at the end of the day it's just people doing things
CHOOSE ONE! wait... er... huh
lol, I mean when delving into the details of it all. We like to categorize and tuck things away nicely into their cubby holes, slap a label on them etc., often so we feel we are in control of things via order over chaos but that's merely an illusion e.g. the Simulacra and Simulation. Yes, at the end of the day all we are doing is things, moral philosophy is all that really matters as it pertains to those things.

DeletedUser10720

lol. this is great! i love outside the box thinking.
my first thought comparison was to basketball, where opposing players agreed to let each other score or steal the ball from each other to pad their stats.
(simialr examples could be derived from many sports/games). obviously in a normal competitive game environment things like this would not be allowed for very long.
this is however a strategy game which involves a lot of politics/diplomacy.
dont know any specific real world political examples, but i'm sure there are plenty where opposing forces have worked together to achieve objectives.

in game i think of a number of situations in GvG.

i just caught a good video related to this. a NHL coach's outside the box thinking led to the creation of a few rules.

That's an excellent video and is a great example of what I'm trying to do here. The "if it explicitly isn't against the rules, I might as well see how long I can get away with it." Mindset. Though for reasons mentioned in this thread, the trick is getting people to agree to attempt it. But wether or not it works it's fun to try and come up with new ideas like this.

DeletedUser31882

That's an excellent video and is a great example of what I'm trying to do here. The "if it explicitly isn't against the rules, I might as well see how long I can get away with it." Mindset.

I thought the video was excellent as well, but now I must argue for the sentiment I believe @Stephen Longshanks was gunning for earlier. Mainly towards the "if it explicitly isn't against the rules".

I believe that is where the 'ethic/moral twisting' can occur, if we look at rules on a meta-level. The video did a good job of walking us through how, at first, Roger seemed like a malicious actor, but then they reveal he wasn't just doing it for 'cheap' wins/points. It was more for refining the rules and we could argue that Hockey was improved by having more specific rules (depends on your viewpoint and experiences with lawyers, I suppose). I assume that's where the disconnect occurs between different claims of moral standards. If the player is purely motivated by selfish benefit, a plunder party could be seen as malicious collusion and the people who participate it as morally bankrupt. Yet mechanically, it's not much different from FP swap threads, which I have not seen a 'malicious collusion' argument for. The difference? The twisting of the 'spirit' of a rule versus the specific rule.

If plunder is meant to be a competition between city defense/offense, with the victor having a secondary competition to determine if they steal something as a reward, then I see why a plunder party is violating the spirit of the competition and thus a twisted ethical/moral standard. FP swap threads don't suffer from that potential violation since they chiefly fear someone cheating others by NOT donating FP due to potentially lax enforcement/oversight on FP swaps. Even though FP swaps are mechanically similar to the plunder party idea: An agreement between individuals to use a system to collaborate and help maximize their individual benefits. I also think of traffic signals for cars and cross-walks for pedestrians. The spirit of the law is meant to protect everyone on and near the road, thus increasing everyone's ability to pursue liberty, joy, happiness, etc. Is it necessary to ticket every jay-walker, especially if they cross the road in a deserted area? Specific mechanical law would dictate it is so, but that seems contrary to the spirit of the law. The issue with spirit/intent is it's abstract inexactness, which can lead to conflicting interpretations and muddling intent.

The "if it explicitly isn't against the rules, I might as well see how long I can get away with it" mindset is probably a common mantra for any criminal element, which understandably upsets anyone who wants a good, clean, fair game/society. I'm sure most of us can think of how a 'rules lawyer' has used(possibly twisted) the rules of a game to their benefit and how annoyed we have been with 'that guy'. Thus resulting in more specific rules(Roger...!) or house rules to adjust to the new 'fair' benchmark. I guess my end point is: Someone will always find a way to game the system, we just have to remain vigilant to see if the new 'fair' is 'more fair' to one group over another.

Anywho, I think it'd be a long time before I have the infrastructure to profit from a plunder party, so I'll stick to 'running really fast in certain contribution races' and FP swaps, for now.