• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

I *loved* the game.

DeletedUser32355

After not playing for a week I have decided to quit the game (maybe temporarily, or permanently). My reasons for quitting are:

1. Power corruption. I was trying to get away from games that ever-increased their players' power to make them happy. I realized this has already happened in FoE (the ARC much? :rolleyes:). But at least they made some place for n00bs to start. :)
  2. Repetition. Another thing I didn't like in a game. While many games of this style are repetition-based, it gets annoying after a while. Pressing a button 200 times (*cough cough* AID!) every day isn't fun.
  3. It's going inactive soon. I can feel it. Most games that have reached this point of power corruption don't last for even a few months longer. I played Dragons of Atlantis and Kingdoms of Camelot till their death, and in both games, there was never more then 3 people online at a time. Scripts and bots were floating everywhere to automate the game. Considering Forge of Empires had already hit power corruption , it going to downhill really, really fast. :(
I loved this game for the 8 months I played it, but am now quitting due to the above reasons.

If you would like to play this game until the end, have fun :)D) but remember what I said about it. :oops: I would play it to the end with you, but I've seen enough game die out this way I'm just quitting.

And with that, I'm now leaving.

*King Zack the Almighty has now left the building, to be only be seen again in replies in this thread. ;)*

DeletedUser35712

King Zack, we will miss you!
I've only played this game for a little over a month now, so I haven't talked with you much, but I hope you do great things in the meantime. I still am excited in playing the game, especially when I get to (somewhat) steamroll my Iron Age hoodies, but I guess a couple more months might bring me into the same situation that you have.
However, I also joined the newer servers (released July 3 this year) in different countries, and I don't have to deal with any high-level Arc players. Gameplay is really enjoyable on newer servers, as you have some chance to get to the top, and everybody is more active. The highest ranked player on one new server I played on is only in LMA.

I don't really see any power corruption that you see in the game though.

DeletedUser28670

King Zack, we will miss you!
I've only played this game for a little over a month now, so I haven't talked with you much, but I hope you do great things in the meantime. I still am excited in playing the game, especially when I get to (somewhat) steamroll my Iron Age hoodies, but I guess a couple more months might bring me into the same situation that you have.
However, I also joined the newer servers (released July 3 this year) in different countries, and I don't have to deal with any high-level Arc players. Gameplay is really enjoyable on newer servers, as you have some chance to get to the top, and everybody is more active. The highest ranked player on one new server I played on is only in LMA.

I don't really see any power corruption that you see in the game though.
Power corruption?
Top level players level great buildings to level 100+ within days of that new GB being introduced, with their dozens of thousands of inventory FPs.
One guild - or sometimes two- dominate the GvG rankings in each world.

True, "everyone" has the option to build Arc, powerlevel it, and level their other GBs.... but the top ranks in each world are more or less fixated now. By a few months new worlds have their ranks fixated as well.
That isn't power corruption?
————————————

There used to be only a few events every year. The seasonal events, and one or two historical quest lines. Now? Events are dime a dozen. Every event is basically the same.

There used to be new ages every month. It's taken us, what, 6 months or more to get through Oceanic?

This game is not dying, but going into a new Era (pun not intended). Whether that is good or bad, I cannot say. Many old players have professed their desire to quit. It's impressive that a browser game kept their attention for 6 years, to be honest.

Goodbye, @King Zack the Almighty
———————————

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser35712

Power corruption?
Top level players level great buildings to level 100+ within days of that new GB being introduced, with their dozens of thousands of inventory FPs.
One guild - or sometimes two- dominate the GvG rankings in each world.

True, "everyone" has the option to build Arc, powerlevel it, and level their other GBs.... but the top ranks in each world are more or less fixated now. By a few months new worlds have their ranks fixated as well.
That isn't power corruption?

I wouldn't consider it power corruption. I guess my threshold for a game to have "power corruption" is if newer players were also screwed over by these high-level players. However, I would say that Inno does a very good job isolating the effects of high-level players from lower-end players, so I don't see the power corruption. As long as nobody is getting harmed, I wouldn't consider it corruption.

DeletedUser

I actually kind of agree with King Zack. I was on vacation this past week, and internet was not good so I basically didn't play the game for almost a week. At the end of the week I had the same feeling. Why continue? Hyper-leveling GBs, specifically the Arc, has changed the game significantly. In addition, obtaining GBs that are several ages above your current era has also become commonplace. Not to mention the plethora of special/event buildings. And in reality the game is geared towards players that do this. GE and recurring quests prompt players to pursue the Alcatraz and Chateau Frontenac starting as early as Iron Age. Camping in eras as low as Iron Age while pursuing and hyper-leveling much higher era GBs has become commonplace. It's become ridiculous. When I first started, 3+ years ago, wide-spread hyper-leveling of GBs and heavy use of recurring quests was not a thing. Players actually used regular buildings for resources. Now, the game isn't about the city you're building anymore, it's about the Arc. Almost exclusively. Players leave otherwise perfectly good guilds to find one that specifically supports Arc hyper-leveling. I've had multiple members do that on Yorkton. We have an active, successful GE guild that has multiple active swap threads, a trading thread that rarely has a trade unfilled for long, and several experienced members to answer questions or give guidance. And still we have people leave just to hyper-level their Arcs. To me, that is clear evidence that there is something wrong with the Arc and/or players' attitude towards it.

DeletedUser26965

Yes, the GB level cap was removed July 2014, the Arc was introduced Nov 2015 and certainly changed the game and I even characterize the game as Forge of Arcs, however the game is what you make it as well Playstyle Variants of FoE and there are 26 worlds at this time for players to experiment differnetly on each of them.

I came into the game March 2016 and one of the first things I noticed was how so many top players had FP farms. I pretty much made the decision very early on then I did not want to play that way so I went the just kind of normal game play route. I didn't care much for how PvP was handled so didn't get into that but once I discovered GvG I knew I wanted to be in a guild that did that.

GvG opens up a whole other world, I mean where else in the game do you use spies?:eek: I love it still to this day because of so many social game play type elements that occur over such long periods of time. It creates so many dynamics that can cause quite a strain on relationships between and within guilds. It's a slow ever waiting to see sometimes bursting with action never ending event that makes people do all kinds of strange things lol. If not for this aspect of the game I doubt I would have stayed as long as I have and it's what keeps me in the game.

As a freemium game though I recognize the advantage goes to those who pay, that is the real "power corruption" but they keep the lights on for the rest of us so it's an aspect you just kind of have to accept.

I agree about the grind of Aid, Tavern Sitting, Abort Quest etc. tedious, boring, repetitive but many games have that.

As far as FoE going inactive anytime soon I doubt it else why bother going HTML on Browser which I'm sure was no easy or cheap task, hell why keep Browser at all since most of the playbase is Mobile, well apparently they still see some life in it enough to keep investing their employee time in it so I don't see it going anywhere.

DeletedUser

and there are 26 worlds at this time for players to experiment differnetly on each of them.
I've tried 25 of them, and they all have the Arc virus. I even tried to have a guild on Yorkton without the virus, but since I didn't ban players from having the Arc, it got in anyway. Now I have people that left to hyper-level their Arcs, and 2 leaders that want to cater to the virus to keep from losing more.

DeletedUser35712

I've tried 25 of them, and they all have the Arc virus. I even tried to have a guild on Yorkton without the virus, but since I didn't ban players from having the Arc, it got in anyway. Now I have people that left to hyper-level their Arcs, and 2 leaders that want to cater to the virus to keep from losing more.

You can also try out some of the really new non-English servers that were released July 3rd this month. I play on the new Finnish server, even though I don't even know how to speak Finnish. I just use Google Translate to get by, and it seems that they somewhat understand me, so that's good. Playing in another language isn't that hard for you since you know all of the mechanics of the game, and the images/GUI are the same everywhere. The farthest person in tech on the new Finnish server is only in LMA, so that Arc virus is going to wait for a long while.

DeletedUser35475

I am in two worlds where my guild isn't Arc crazy. A few people have them but they are all past the age the Arc and they haven't gone crazy leveling it. I think 15 is the highest.

I'm in one where it is a little bit Arc heavy with IA and EMA and other lower age people having it and trying to level it pretty high. I don't see where it effects me though. I just plod along playing my city like I want.

What happens if you are in a guild where the leveling Arc is the focus that makes it so different? Is it hard to donate to GB because they can crowd you out?

EnamIccug

So since I’m 99% sure you’re referencing my guild (in terms of where people are going), I’m going to respond. It’s not a choice between “hyper-leveling arcs” and “opening GE4, having an active trade thread, and having knowledgeable members to give advice”. We have all of those things, and they really help to feed each other.

If you’re going to shun the arc, that’s perfectly fine, but you’re going to be at a disadvantage compared to those who embrace it. Without the arc, you wouldn’t have nearly as many people with as many high level GBs, because the arc is what allows for that. Instead of looking at it as a “virus”, look at it as a tool that vastly expands the gameplay possibilities that FoE can offer.

DeletedUser31592

I would much prefer an Arcless FoE (or at least I wish they had not made it so powerful). But, after years of resisting it, I finally gave up and have the "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality. But I'm not nearly as obsessed as most and find leveling it to 80 exhausting and tedious.

And I've openly opposed to the mindless game play Cosmic Raven promoted. I use RQs to my advantage, but you will never find me with a city full of Clock Makers.

I've contemplated giving cities up. I'm stuck in the "I put so much time into them to give them up" cycle. So I tried to do more of a diamond farm- WWs and FoYs only. Except then I don't want to miss an event prize. *sigh* I really need to step away from all but my main and Z for two weeks (Z because it has fast become my favorite city since I have not allowed myself to build above-era GBs- aka NO ARC) and see how I feel then.

DeletedUser

So since I’m 99% sure you’re referencing my guild (in terms of where people are going), I’m going to respond.
Well, you're 99% wrong. I don't even know which guild they went to. Don't care. And I've stopped playing that world now, so you can have them all if you want.
Instead of looking at it as a “virus”, look at it as a tool that vastly expands the gameplay possibilities that FoE can offer.
No thanks, I'll stick with "virus". Actually, a cancerous tumor that needs to be cut out would be a better description. (Not to offend anyone with cancer, I'm certainly not equating a game feature to an actual medical condition.)
I've contemplated giving cities up.
I just did precisely that. I have abandoned (and set for deletion) all my remaining cities except the one on Vingrid.

DeletedUser12620

Well, you're 99% wrong. I don't even know which guild they went to. Don't care. And I've stopped playing that world now, so you can have them all if you want.

No thanks, I'll stick with "virus". Actually, a cancerous tumor that needs to be cut out would be a better description. (Not to offend anyone with cancer, I'm certainly not equating a game feature to an actual medical condition.)

I just did precisely that. I have abandoned (and set for deletion) all my remaining cities except the one on Vingrid.

You should have came to Z not Y world it was doomed from the start... You had one player go into OF the first few weeks which just ruined the gameplay.

DeletedUser12620

I would much prefer an Arcless FoE (or at least I wish they had not made it so powerful). But, after years of resisting it, I finally gave up and have the "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality. But I'm not nearly as obsessed as most and find leveling it to 80 exhausting and tedious.

And I've openly opposed to the mindless game play Cosmic Raven promoted. I use RQs to my advantage, but you will never find me with a city full of Clock Makers.

I've contemplated giving cities up. I'm stuck in the "I put so much time into them to give them up" cycle. So I tried to do more of a diamond farm- WWs and FoYs only. Except then I don't want to miss an event prize. *sigh* I really need to step away from all but my main and Z for two weeks (Z because it has fast become my favorite city since I have not allowed myself to build above-era GBs- aka NO ARC) and see how I feel then.

Really? Didn't you camp in Z for a while in BA looping blacksmiths lol?

Volodya

Not everyone has succumbed to Arc-itis. I play on E, a long-established world. I'm the 6th-ranked member of a very solid level 55 guild, currently ranked 18 although we've been much higher. I just did a quick tally: out of 46 members, only 8 have an Arc at level 50 or higher. Only 2 have reached the level 80 plateau. (Full disclosure: I'm one of them.) Obviously I understand how powerful the Arc is or I wouldn't have raised mine, but it's also clear that a high-level Arc isn't truly essential either to collective or individual success in this game.

DeletedUser34800

More power to you guys for playing multiple cities. Seems like it would be be fun to have cities with different play styles. I'm sure it's great to be collecting all the diamonds from any diamond farms you have as well.

I can't do that though. I find 1 city to be a lot of work in this game, though I am quite lazy. Playing through GE lvl 4 each week, aiding my allies/guild/neighborhood 6-7 days a week, and collecting/leveling GBs is enough for me. These events that are coming in back to back are even starting to get to be too much.

I just can't imagine doing it all in multiple cities. That seems like it would be burn me out of the game incredibly fast.

DeletedUser31592

Really? Didn't you camp in Z for a while in BA looping blacksmiths lol?

I camped to get my Zeus and ToB to level 10. To break the tedium, in Z I am building all current-era GBs (except ND and Colo) and leveling them to 10 before aging up. Since PvP was turned off, I probably collected my blacksmiths twice a week at best. And hated every minute of it. Actually, at the end, I treated them as a second UBQ. I collected 2 as I completed the coin or FP quests. I did not camp for the pleasure of looping blacksmiths, I promise.

DeletedUser35712

I camped to get my Zeus and ToB to level 10. To break the tedium, in Z I am building all current-era GBs (except ND and Colo) and leveling them to 10 before aging up. Since PvP was turned off, I probably collected my blacksmiths twice a week at best. And hated every minute of it. Actually, at the end, I treated them as a second UBQ. I collected 2 as I completed the coin or FP quests. I did not camp for the pleasure of looping blacksmiths, I promise.

I just quest loop in my Bronze Age camp city on my phone when I'm jogging on the tread mill to feel like I'm doing something productive.