• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] Understanding Why You are Attacked and Plundered and What to Do About It

DeletedUser26965

Forge of Empires(FoE) began in April 2012 exclusivity as a game based on competition and plundering between neighbors or Player v. Player(PvP) if you will though you fight their AI so it's not truly PvP. And though the game had moved on to Guild v. Guild(GvG) about two years later then Guild Expedition(GE or GEx) Championships two years after that, attacking and plundering thy neighbor remains part of the game to this day.

Understanding why you are attacked

There are three main reasons why you are attacked.
  • The attacker wants battle points
  • The attacker wants goods
  • The attacker wants forge points
Some just care about one or the other, or a combination of battle points and goods or forge points(fp's). There are other reasons but not as common as those such as being in an enemy guild, revenge, just likes fighting etc.

There are also two Great Buildings(GB) which are an incentive to plunder, one relates to goods, the other to goods or forge points.
  • Voyager V1 - The first three times you plunder a building you get three random goods of that building's age. (First 12 times at level 10)
  • Atlantis Museum - This building gives you a chance to double the resources you plunder, including forge points. 12% at level 1, 22.75% at level 10. So if your Terrace Farm is plundered the attacker has a chance at 10 free forge points.

Understanding the environment

Neighborhood merging is flat only in that it pertains to research. Where you are in the tech tree is the only determining factor in merges. As such you will be placed with other players in and around the same technology you are on and so you will all be in the same age, though there are some cities that will still have an age apart between players(ref link above). While this has eliminated having players many ages apart it does not mean there are not more or less powerful players relative to each other in the hood. And so one player can have very high level military great buildings while another player has none.

Also remember that as the defender you do not lose units, neither are they damaged but as the attacker units can be damaged and lost. So while the attacker might have some gain if they defeat you they also risk losing units while you lose none.

Each player can only attack you once per 24 hours and any time during that 24 hours of a successful attack they can plunder one time only. Once that 24 hours is up and if they have not plundered you in that time they can not plunder unless they successfully attack again.

You can see who attacked you and when by looking at the Event History in the News Tab of your Town Hall. You can watch a replay of the battle as indicated by the film camera, this can be important to utilize.

MWHH2rA.jpg

Lastly, though some newer players might find this difficult to believe, for the most part PvP is rather dead. I believe the main killer of PvP is the battle point system and GvG. Every battle you do counts towards the "PvP" towers which I call Battle Point Towers and so since battle points can be farmed from GvG, and battle points can be gained from the Continent/Campaign Map(cMap) and GE, there's really not much incentive to try to gain battle points from ones neighbors, the older the world the more likely this is. (note: worlds open in their order were done so alphabetically so Arvahall is the oldest world while Xyr is the newest world at the time of this post.)

What to do to help prevent being attacked and plundered

Now that we understand generally why we are attacked we unfortunately have diametrically opposing strategies that come with that. That is, if a player is attacking you only for battle points and has no interest in plundering then the best thing to do, is to place a few units of your age as defense mixed with low age units, this acts as a disincentive to the attacker as there are not as many points to gain. However if a player is attacking you for goods or forge points you want to place the best army you can as your defenders though there can be exceptions as explained below.

uYLPL1M.jpg

So you will have to try to determine what best fits the attacker by finding out if they plunder you or not and adjust accordingly, sometimes a player will put in their description if they plunder or not otherwise you'll just have to wait and see what they do to know. However I would argue that even if you have a player plundering you and you look at their GB's and find your defense won't stand a chance anyway then still only put mixed units, no need to give them the extra satisfaction at gaining max battle points as well.

BUT the problem here is this strategy leaves you open to equal or lesser powerful players to successfully breach your defenses. At the end of the day you will have to determine what's best, either mixed units of your current and lower age, or a fully stocked highest age defense, I do not suggest no defense as this leaves only two default Spearfighters that players can use to gain battle points for towers. Though I suppose it can still be argued that placing one or two units of your age can still be utilized this way, it's really up to you.

There are many tips to stop or help prevent being attacked and plundered. There are some tips here unfortunately the comment section is filled with not very useful information in this regard so I'll place some here.

There are only two ways to be absolutely sure you are not attacked or plundered.
  • You can not be attacked if you buy a City Shield from the Friends Tavern. This option is rather pricey so I suggest a full 140 friends that are active tavern sitters and collect from your tavern often and daily.
  • The option to guarantee to not be plundered I do not recommend but it is assured you will not be plundered during this time. It's the nuclear option I call it by disconnecting from your city all buildings that can be plundered, the obvious down side here is that you are not producing during that time. Of course if you were attacked at this time you can still of course be plundered after you reconnect your buildings.
There are many other things to help mitigate being attacked and plundered.

Mitigating attacks

Build all the military GB's. It's more likely a player will attack a player without these GB's then with them especially if they are at high levels. (Note: you can get all the GB's from ages above yours by buying goods for fp's.)

• Statue of Zeus (SoZ) Iron Age (IA) Has no effect on defending armies, solely a psychological deterrent in this regard.
  • Cathedral of Aachen (CoA) Early Middle Ages (EMA) Has no effect on defending armies, solely a psychological deterrent in this regard.
  • Castel del Monte (CdM) Late Middle Ages (LMA) Has no effect on defending armies, soely a psychological deterrent in this regard.
  • St. Basil's Cathedral (SBC) Late Middle Ages (LMA) One of two of the only buildings in the game that gives your defending armies an Attack Value Boost (AV boost).
  • Deal Castle (DC) Colonial Age (CA) The second of two of the only buildings in the game that gives your defending armies an AV boost.
  • Arctic Orangery (AO) Arctic Future (AF) Has no effect on defending armies, solely a psychological deterrent in this regard.

There are other buildings, special buildings and Military Buildings you can acquire to help mitigate and give Defensive boosts to your defensive armies. Here is a handy chart to see what building fits in each category. (note: Speaker's Corner is unavailable and the event to get Checkmate Square has ended, not sure if it will be back next year)

AEP3fXN.jpg

More attack mitigation

Plunder mitigation

• Aid all neighbors, friends and guild-mates daily so your buildings can get motivated or polished (M/P) and can't be plundered, keep in mind some buildings cannot be M/P and will remain vulnerable to plundering. (Remember of course normal goods buildings can not be motivated)
  • Set collection times to fit your play time.
  • Build residential buildings that produce coin in your play/collection time
  • If you have a mobile device you can set reminders for collecting
  • Collect immediately after producing
  • Use a Motivation Kit or a Mass Motivation Kit (Keep in mind this only does motivation and not polishing and limits your friends, neighbors and guild-mates chances at blueprints)
  • Don't be predictable, that is, don't collect at the same time every day.
  • Don't aid your neighbors just after you collect
  • If you have been playing the game for a period of time refresh the game minutes before you collect to make sure the server time is aligned with your time.
  • Make a deal with neighbors to plunder each other
  • Make a recurring quest city
  • Do Not clear your Tavern at the same time you collect goods etc.
Remember, at the end of the day this is just a game. I realize some have spent money and lots of time invested in the game and no one enjoys being plundered but it's an important part of the game that's been here since the start and in my opinion should remain, though I'd like to see a change to the PvP system here Revamp PvP.

Enjoy the game folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser25273

One thing probably worth mentioning is that the neighbor who attacks you solely for battle points does NO harm to you, so the only need to defend from these people is psychological (unless you are fighting with them over tower position), which really means you want to align your defenses against the plunderers who do you real harm.

-Razorback-

SloppyJoeSlayer, great post. Thank you so much.
Quick question. You stated "Note: you can get all the GB's from ages above yours by buying goods for fp's."
How do you buy goods for fp's???
Thank you

DeletedUser26965

SloppyJoeSlayer, great post. Thank you so much.
Quick question. You stated "Note: you can get all the GB's from ages above yours by buying goods for fp's."
How do you buy goods for fp's???
Thank you
Thanks. You strike a deal with someone, if they're not in your guild or neighborhood then you have to friend them. You can ask in global for what you need and ask people to send you their offers. Take what you find acceptable. You trade your fp's for their goods putting the fp's on the gb they want. Everyone structures their deals different ways so work out the details beforehand.

DeletedUser27711

When plundering goods you lose the value of those goods in coins or supplies, but not both, or something like that. There is no mention here about how that works. Also via google I see no mention of this mechanic. How long has it been around?

Even the official wiki doesn't mention how the plundering mechanic works.

DeletedUser

When plundering goods you lose the value of those goods in coins or supplies, but not both, or something like that.
Not sure what you are trying to say. The only thing you might lose are troops and the cost associated with training them.

DeletedUser27711

You either don't plunder or not paying attention.

UPDATE - any kind of plundering can have a random small to large effect. Plundered a Farm and got the supplies but lost 90 coins. On another goods plunder lost 1,860 supplies. One goods plunder had no negative effect. So it looks random.

Someone in chat said it might be a bug. It's happening quite often to me.

DeletedUser

It's either a bug, or you're misinterpreting what you're seeing. When you plunder, you shouldn't lose anything.

DeletedUser37347

Are you supposed to do something with the military units to have them be assigned or able to defend your city besides having the building attached to your town square?

DeletedUser

Are you supposed to do something with the military units to have them be assigned or able to defend your city besides having the building attached to your town square?
Yes, but you can only do it once you've researched Military Tactics in Iron Age tech. Then go to your Army Management screen to assign defense armies. On PC you just click the blue icon to the left, then click on the units you want to assign to defense. On mobile you have to tap the units you want to assign and then tap the blue button that is second from left. Units assigned to defense will never be lost to an attack, but if you also use them in your attacking army they can be lost there.

Jern2017

Great guide.

I'd like to add something, I hope you don't mind, @sloppyjoeslayer.

Never insult or threaten your plunderer. I can only speak for myself, but I've heard similar things from other people who plunder - if I get a nasty message from the person I plundered, I'll make sure I visit them as often as possible for as long we're in the same neighborhood.

Either work on your defenses, try to retaliate by attacking your plunderer back or force leveling their GBs, but don't send them nasty messages as it will make you appear weak and they'll only have more incentive to attack you again.

DeletedUser41016

So how do you stop someone from stealing from your account ? I paid 100$ to start this game and then found out the next day that Inno deliberately left an exploit on the servers that allow other users to take digital items that many people paid money to acquire. It is impossible to stop a higher lever player from taking your items and this isn't called gaming in the real world it is called theft. Either make a world where PvP is prohibited or make a flag available that stops anyone from stealing from you.

DeletedUser40495

So how do you stop someone from stealing from your account ? I paid 100$ to start this game and then found out the next day that Inno deliberately left an exploit on the servers that allow other users to take digital items that many people paid money to acquire. It is impossible to stop a higher lever player from taking your items and this isn't called gaming in the real world it is called theft. Either make a world where PvP is prohibited or make a flag available that stops anyone from stealing from you.
Ok bud. Plundering is part of the game. If you don’t like it, just play another game. Complaining about it is like complaining that you landed on boardwalk in monopoly and had to pay $2000 to another player.

Don’t come to the forum and whine that others are stealing from you, they are only playing better than you.

- KQ -

If you play a first person shooter game and another player kills you, is it murder? This is a game. Inno didn't leave an exploit, they wrote a feature into the game called plundering. The concept is not exclusive to Forge of Empires. Building a strong city takes time. Look at the top five players in your neighborhood. They're the ones that are doing something right; learn from them.

You didn't have to invest money to play the game, you chose to. The game can be played for free and many people have never spent a dime on it.

DeletedUser

I paid 100$ to start this game and then found out the next day that Inno deliberately left an exploit on the servers that allow other users to take digital items that many people paid money to acquire.
Players plundering can only take one production from one building per attack. You do not pay real money for those productions, so they are not taking anything you paid for.
It is impossible to stop a higher lever player from taking your items and this isn't called gaming in the real world it is called theft.
Yes, in the real world it would be called theft, but they are not taking your stuff in the real world, they are taking it in a game. Which by definition is called gaming.
Either make a world where PvP is prohibited or make a flag available that stops anyone from stealing from you.
There will not be a world where PvP is prohibited, in fact it is something that cannot even be proposed. And they do have "City Shield" available in the Friends Tavern when you have accumulated enough Tavern silver to afford it, and that prevents attacks for as long as it's up.

DeletedUser41016

If someone pays 1100 diamonds (11$) to complete a building to produce an item for the game and then someone comes along and takes it then it's theft. If Innogames made it so that the game is playable without a boost in the beginning and not pester you to spend real money on the game then no it would not be theft. To allow someone many levels above someone else to clear out a building a day and also to invite all there friends to do it as well doesn' sound like a game to me.