• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Winter Event 2018

EnamIccug

Let's try this. I suggested previously (several times) that there really isn't anything worth spending for if you've reached the point in the game where you have more SoKs, WWs etc. than you can possibly fit. I would love to be wrong. Are there any players in a similar situation who see potential here that I'm overlooking other than the Winter Spire itself? This isn't rhetorical; if I I've missed something I'd love to have someone point it out. Only 13 hours left on the "bonus stars" promotion (though it will probably come up again at some point).

You're absolutely correct, and I'm not sure why anybody is disputing it. The spires are good. Anything else you can get in the event? Not great, apart from the sleigh builders, which are basically just a modified Sunken Treasure. As far as ancillary benefits/rewards go, this winter event pales in comparison to this year's summer event.

nothrox987

Very sad that Tech/Campaign advance is mandatory. Makes it a non-starter for players who are happy with their current Tech/Campaign situation. On the positive though, they do make a point of making clear very early in questline that it is mandatory.

mamboking053

Again, so what?

I think it's just a title.

If there was a time where Inno had called the Winter Event a Christmas Event and then they changed, then I can see the reasoning for what you said. If they were bowing to social pressure of the PC variety than you would likely see something like Inno trying to represent all the holidays of all the cultures and religions that occur in this time period into the event.

As it stands, I think it's just their choice of wording for the event. And it makes sense since the Winter Event does occur over a range of holidays- Christmas, New Years, and others.

DeletedUser36624

Very sad that Tech/Campaign advance is mandatory. Makes it a non-starter for players who are happy with their current Tech/Campaign situation. On the positive though, they do make a point of making clear very early in questline that it is mandatory.
Tech advancement is not mandatory. They took that out.

Emberguard

I'd agree with that, but I also don't think Inno should give out attack boost and fp producing buildings with every event. IMHO, there should be events that you will want to complete and events that aren't worth it each year. I think doing so forces a player to make a decision before the event if it is going to be worthwhile and I also enjoy sitting out events now and again just for a slower pace of play.

Edit: To add on, I think with the main building in this event being as powerful as it is, I wouldn't want to see secondary buildings that are comparable to some of the stronger secondary events buildings that have come out.
THIS ^ Getting everything as the absolute most amazing thing ever gets boring very quick. Everything in moderation. Diamond buying/spending is fine, but there's a limit as to how much any one player can buy. Otherwise your entire city will never change from Bronze Age right through to Virtual Age.

with that difference I see no issue with sunken treasures giving fp's while the sleigh builder doesn't. Also some players may want to increase goods production more than fp production, or they're selling goods making the sleigh builder more powerful than the sunken treasure. It's all about the city setup though.
While I prefer the Sunken Treasure purely because both the 8 hr and 24 hr options have significant value in usage, the sleigh is pretty much the same value as far as goods production goes - with the main advantage being you don't have the same risk of missing out on that 3rd 8hr production during the day and so producing less goods.

Some players may actually prefer the Sleighs alternate options. If you're logging on every 4 hrs then it's roughly the equivalent of a hall of fame given its smaller size.

I may have it wrong, but the snow seems to show up when you have completed a Winter Event quest. I don't know if you can get it to show all the time.

Previous events over the last year have on occassion shown an effect whenever
(A) you complete a quest and receive the reward
(B) Something to do with using the currency. Can't remember if it's each time you land on a prize or each time you get a grand prize. Haven't used any of my stars yet but plausible each time you open a present would trigger it

Let's try this. I suggested previously (several times) that there really isn't anything worth spending for if you've reached the point in the game where you have more SoKs, WWs etc. than you can possibly fit.
Was this with or without spending diamonds to get those SoKs/WWs/ etc? Keeping in mind there are now shrinking kits for your WWs if you really wanted to fit more in (whether or not you would want to do that is another question altogether)

Lancer

Thanks for those of you that tried to get this thread back on topic, which it has for the most part. The comments that I went back through on the last couple pages that was discussing religious beliefs or was off topic have been removed. Please continue to stay on the thread topic. Thanks!

DeletedUser26560

In one of my worlds I have no army so I had to do negotiation but this mechanism is just a diamond trap because the choices change on each attempt if do not succeed. I think this is not any kind of puzzle but a simple random shuffling of the values which never lets the player figure out what to choose to achieve success. I would think you could come up with a much more challenging and less divisive way of sorting out a multiple choice configuration.

DeletedUser32824

In one of my worlds I have no army so I had to do negotiation but this mechanism is just a diamond trap because the choices change on each attempt if do not succeed. I think this is not any kind of puzzle but a simple random shuffling of the values which never lets the player figure out what to choose to achieve success. I would think you could come up with a much more challenging and less divisive way of sorting out a multiple choice configuration.
Negotiation has been a part of the game since GE was implemented. It's more likely you haven't figured out the strategy for negotiating and could improve. So your complaint is "I don't have an army AND I'm bad at negotiating." That's on you! The quests for this event have been out for almost a month so it's time to either raise an army or learn to negotiate! (There are several forum posts on how to negotiate).

In my city on W world I chose to build an inno tower in Iron age, meaning unless I fill my city with cultural buildings, the citizens will never be enthusiastic. I keep them at 50%. The third or so quest for this event is to make your population enthusiastic, so I got roadblocked pretty early. But, that's on me. Would it be awesome if that wasn't in a quest? Yes! Am I going to complain that the quests are too hard for my playstyle? No. I'm probably just going to skip the event on that world so I don't have to store half my buildings to get my happiness up.

Volodya

Seems like you're finding the current method quite "challenging" enough, since apparently you regularly fail at it.

Graviton

You can search YouTube for some tips on negotiations. Here's the first one that popped up, there may be more:

DeletedUser31440

http://www.geometer.org/mathcircles/mastermind.pdf

DeletedUser35195

In my city on W world I chose to build an inno tower in Iron age, meaning unless I fill my city with cultural buildings, the citizens will never be enthusiastic. I keep them at 50%. The third or so quest for this event is to make your population enthusiastic, so I got roadblocked pretty early. But, that's on me. Would it be awesome if that wasn't in a quest? Yes! Am I going to complain that the quests are too hard for my playstyle?

Do you not want to use the tavern boost to make people enthusiastic? That would be a pretty easy workaround if you can.

DeletedUser32824

Do you not want to use the tavern boost to make people enthusiastic? That would be a pretty easy workaround if you can.
Thanks for the reminder! I've never used this boost before and forgot it existed! 3500 TS was kind of steep for my new city, but worth it :)

DeletedUser29623

I agree with Amiar. Unless a quest calls for defeating a very small army, I negotiate everything, including all 4 levels of GE every week. I’m good at negotiating! I almost never spend the diamonds, even in very complex negotiations. I suck at battles, but I admit that. I’m sure I could get better at battles if I could be bothered to try, but I’m not interested. Instead, I figured out a way to play where I almost never have to battle. If you find negotiating really difficult and you don’t want to try to improve at it I recommend doing the same, by improving your battling ability so that you almost never have to negotiate instead.

Zatrikon

Really bad timing on the fourth quest - Acquire 2 sectors. I had one left in each of my two worlds, so I have to wait for scouting in both of them to complete the fourth quest. :(

DeletedUser28371

You've brought this upon yourselfs, now behold the majesty of the FLYING SPHAGHETTI MONSTER!!!

Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage_HD.jpg
Honestly? So can someone provide the list of things to do. Also to everyone, Happy Honda Days!

Emberguard

In my city on W world I chose to build an inno tower in Iron age, meaning unless I fill my city with cultural buildings, the citizens will never be enthusiastic. I keep them at 50%. The third or so quest for this event is to make your population enthusiastic, so I got roadblocked pretty early. But, that's on me. Would it be awesome if that wasn't in a quest? Yes! Am I going to complain that the quests are too hard for my playstyle? No. I'm probably just going to skip the event on that world so I don't have to store half my buildings to get my happiness up.
I had the same problem when making Inno my first GB in Iron Age. So I got an Alcatraz to fix it.

Then later I realised the Tavern has an enthusiasm boost and that completes the task xD

DeletedUser36020

Has anyone determined if it is possible to get all 12 upgrades without spending?