• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Goods buildings: focus on single or multiple resources?

DeletedUser38435

Right now, just got to EMA. I have 3 resources conquered. I'm trying to increase production of goods and want to build more goods buildings. The latest resource is Gems. That building is larger than say a lumbermill. They both produce the same qty of goods. Is there a downside to building more lumbermills instead of adding the larger buildings?

Also, I good trade for specific goods that I don't produce.

RazorbackPirate

Yes.
  1. Flooding the market with tons of lumber no one needs.
  2. Having to base every trade around someone who does need lumber.
  3. Competing against all the other lumber trades from players who think producing only lumber is a good idea.
  4. Trading goods down gives you 2 BA goods for 1 IA good.
  5. Trading goods up gives you 1 IA good for 2 BA goods.
  6. Using IA goods buildings and trading down to produce BA goods gives you 8 hours of BA goods production every 4 hours.
  7. Using BA goods buildings and trading up to produce IA goods gives you 4 hours of IA goods production every 8 hours.
Just a few that immediately come to mind. I'm sure there's others.

Last edited:

Super Catanian

Welcome to the forums!
At the beginning (you are still in the EMA), you should build goods buildings of the Goods deposits you already have, and use them to trade for the rest.
Try to only have 1 of each Good Building.
If you want to get more goods, build a Tower of Babel or a Lighthouse of Alexandria, since they provide goods every 24 hours. Getting the goods will be a bit of a challenge, but you can get them from trades. If you also have Wishing Wells, build them as well.
If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to send me a private message, and we can discuss what strategy suits you best. Happy Forging!

By the way, what world do you play in?

DeletedUser38435

Thanks for both replies. I figured there are reasons not to do it that way. I had just forgot about the trade diff between ages, duh. That's reason enough.

R and X is where I forge at currently.

Algona

Howdy and welcome to the forums.

I'll taje a gander at Rugnir, my experimental is there.

EDIT: In game PM sent.

Last edited:

RazorbackPirate

Thanks for both replies. I figured there are reasons not to do it that way. I had just forgot about the trade diff between ages, duh. That's reason enough.

R and X is where I forge at currently.
I'm on R as well, @R4d- . Send a friend request if you've got one.

mamboking053

Right now, just got to EMA. I have 3 resources conquered. I'm trying to increase production of goods and want to build more goods buildings. The latest resource is Gems. That building is larger than say a lumbermill. They both produce the same qty of goods. Is there a downside to building more lumbermills instead of adding the larger buildings?

I'd build just one lumber and use the rest of your space for the second resource. Lumber is a good that's likely already flooding the market and if you ever need it you'll have no problem purchasing it when necessary.

UBERhelp1

If you are in EMA and only have 3 resources found, (2 BA and 1 IA) then you need to pick up the pace on the cMap. The gems are an IA resource, which means that you will be producing goods that are worth less than your current age's. For the first several ages, think of each age up doubling the value of the goods. So for you, 1 BA good = 2 IA goods = 4 EMA goods.

Also, don't make the mistake that so many do of building all 5 goods buildings of an age. Only build the ones that are affected by your boosts.

DeletedUser38435

If you are in EMA and only have 3 resources found, (2 BA and 1 IA) then you need to pick up the pace on the cMap. The gems are an IA resource, which means that you will be producing goods that are worth less than your current age's. For the first several ages, think of each age up doubling the value of the goods. So for you, 1 BA good = 2 IA goods = 4 EMA goods.

Also, don't make the mistake that so many do of building all 5 goods buildings of an age. Only build the ones that are affected by your boosts.

Yes I'm behind on the cMap. I joined a guild on each world and have been doing lots of GE, so during those the cMaps fell behind.

Yes I only build buildings for resources that I've already acquired. Thanks.

DeletedUser38435

Howdy and welcome to the forums.

I'll taje a gander at Rugnir, my experimental is there.

EDIT: In game PM sent.

I searched for you but it doesn't show up in my search for friends.

Mustapha00

Let me offer a slightly different take on this.

I tend to build multiple Goods buildings of the same type, based of course on what goods deposits I unlock but also on such criteria as their perceived scarcity in the Marketplace and the size of the Goods building, necessary population and the occasional plus (or minus) to Happiness. Several of those won;t be a concern for you at your stage of the game (pretty sure that all Goods Buildings require the same population and none of them affect your city Happiness, though they are different sizes).

Yes, it has happened that the Goods I produced were slow movers in the Marketplace. However, that was a rare occurrence, and a good Guild will help out by picking up trades, made in accordance with rules governing the ratios for trading (so-called "fair trade" rules). I appreciated it early on, and I try always to return the favor now.

Lastly, I would agree that, whatever Goods buildings you do decide to build, let them be of your current Age and not an earlier one unless you just have space or population left over. And excess population happens much more frequently than excess space.