• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Answered] How to spend free diamonds

DeletedUser38766

So I used the search quite a bit before posting this question and I am surprised no one asked this before (or maybe I am just bad at using that search?)
But assuming I don't pay for diamonds, what whould be some good ways to spend the free diamonds I get in game?
So far, I am tempted to spend it on expansions, not sure how expensive it gets in the future and at what point it becomes not worth it, but it's the only thing that feels worth it to me for now.
I am on my third day of play and I only have 560 diamonds on me (but hopefully I will get more from RQs in the future ages)

DeletedUser38593

They do get very expensive in the later game, but it's still worth it.

DeletedUser36624

Expansions, expansions, expansions. IMO, there is nothing more valuable in the game than expansions.

One thing you'll want to get into once you get into Iron Age is Guild Expeditions. You can earn diamonds there, small amounts in the lower difficulties, and quite a bit in 3 and 4. It can occasionally be worth it to use diamonds to revive or heal a unit, or to get an extra turn in negotiations, so keeping a reserve amount is a good idea. Spending diamonds for reviving or extra turns should be done very sparingly, such as to revive an extremely valuable unattached unit, or to get an extra turn in a negotiation where you know the correct solution in just one more turn, and you're in later difficulties where the goods cost of a full negotiation is substantial.

DeletedUser38766

I spend them on expansions. You already have more Diamonds than I've ever had at one time and I'm in PME. So good job.
Haha thank you, I just wasn't sure how to spend those, so I racked em up.

Expansions, expansions, expansions. IMO, there is nothing more valuable in the game than expansions.

One thing you'll want to get into once you get into Iron Age is Guild Expeditions. You can earn diamonds there, small amounts in the lower difficulties, and quite a bit in 3 and 4. It can occasionally be worth it to use diamonds to revive or heal a unit, or to get an extra turn in negotiations, so keeping a reserve amount is a good idea. Spending diamonds for reviving or extra turns should be done very sparingly, such as to revive an extremely valuable unattached unit, or to get an extra turn in a negotiation where you know the correct solution in just one more turn, and you're in later difficulties where the goods cost of a full negotiation is substantial.
So I have heard this unattached thing before as well. What exactly is an unattached unit? Like a fancy unit you get from events and stuff that you can't produce?

Jern2017

I don't buy diamonds, but get more than enough from the GE and my diamond farm.

I only spend them on two things - expansions and, very seldom, reviving advanced era units (which you can get from quests and are thus unattached) if they get killed because I wasn't paying attention.

This and buying an extra turn in negotiations if you're running low on goods and know the next goods you pick will be correct are the only things worth spending diamonds on if you don't buy them.

DeletedUser36624

An unattached unit is one that isn't attached to a particular barracks. An attached unit will be deleted if you delete its barracks, but it can also be replaced by retraining if it is lost. Unattached units are gained as quest rewards (like that stone thrower in BA), event rewards, GE rewards, DC rewards, from certain GB's, and now there is an emissary that will give them too.

There is an option in the browser version to turn on a visual marker for unattached units (an orange stripe on the icon). Mobile doesn't have this option, but if you turn it on in the browser, then it will show up in mobile too. This can be very useful when deciding which units to use in a battle.

DeletedUser38766

An unattached unit is one that isn't attached to a particular barracks. An attached unit will be deleted if you delete its barracks, but it can also be replaced by retraining if it is lost. Unattached units are gained as quest rewards (like that stone thrower in BA), event rewards, GE rewards, DC rewards, from certain GB's, and now there is an emissary that will give them too.

There is an option in the browser version to turn on a visual marker for unattached units (an orange stripe on the icon). Mobile doesn't have this option, but if you turn it on in the browser, then it will show up in mobile too. This can be very useful when deciding which units to use in a battle.

Oh wow, that's a useful feature, I will turn it on from the browser. Thanks for letting me know. I do have a rogue and a color guard that I got from the event, but I don't use them because I don't know how to use them correctly and I don't want to lose em already :)

DeletedUser38766

@Roxana 1184 the Wise, there is an orange stripe on the icons of unattached units on mobile too without having to turn it on.

@BananaBallZ I forgot to say this - it's awesome to see a new player who's not complaining, but instead asking for advice here. If I did that when I started playing, my city would be much more developed by now.
Lol, just wait till I unlock more stuff, then I will get to complaining xD

P.S. my city is not what I want it to be even after taking so much advice, does that count as complaining?

Jern2017

Oh wow, that's a useful feature, I will turn it on from the browser. Thanks for letting me know. I do have a rogue and a color guard that I got from the event, but I don't use them because I don't know how to use them correctly and I don't want to lose em already :)

Special units (Rogues, Champions, Military Drummers and Color Guard) aren't as valuable as advanced era units, because there are several ways you can get them (Daily Challenges, GE, prizes in events...) so don't be afraid to use them to see how they work.

DeletedUser38766

Special units (Rogues, Champions, Military Drummers and Color Guard) aren't as valuable as advanced era units, because there are several ways you can get them (Daily Challenges, GE, prizes in events...) so don't be afraid to use them to see how they work.
That's good to know, I will give it a shot. Thanks

Well if I'm right, you joined the forum not too long ago and it's a long climb to develop your city.
Yeah, I joined the forum as soon as I started the game, so I am on my 3rd day, but developing fast with Glarg's guide. Although, this space management thing is a problem when I get odd sized buildings. I keep trying to fit in more without buying expansions and then it bothers me when I can't

DeletedUser29726

While expansions are certainly the top of mind option to start (first 4 are 200, 200, 400, 400 and come at a time when you most need extra expansions (bronze/iron age) - then there's a whole wack of them at 600 - 2 per age for every age from EMA to ME if i remember right - before they go up again), there are a few other things worth considering.

1) Expedition difficulty 4 while negotiating - you should be using the tavern boost for 4 guesses first, but sometimes it might be worthwhile to pay 10 diamonds and take a 5th guess rather than restart the encounter and spend more goods if you're tight on them as it'll let you get further and win more diamonds/prizes that help your city - the diamonds earned from expedition will outstrip the diamonds spent in the long run

2) Final blueprint on a key great building - particularly early in your game when it can feel difficult to just find more blueprints you might consider spending 200 diamonds for the last blueprint on a building that you feel will change your game entirely (Chateau Frontenac or The Arc being key examples of this). Mostly this is a bad buy in the long run - but not catastrophic.

3) Event currency - Some events will leave you close to getting extra prizes and spending a couple thousand diamonds might make a difference to you. This is more of a luxury but it can be nice to do sometimes :) Make sure to do the math to know what's realistic before you spend - some events it might be 10k+ diamonds to get the extra you think you want.

DeletedUser38766

While expansions are certainly the top of mind option to start (first 4 are 200, 200, 400, 400 and come at a time when you most need extra expansions (bronze/iron age) - then there's a whole wack of them at 600 - 2 per age for every age from EMA to ME if i remember right - before they go up again), there are a few other things worth considering.

1) Expedition difficulty 4 while negotiating - you should be using the tavern boost for 4 guesses first, but sometimes it might be worthwhile to pay 10 diamonds and take a 5th guess rather than restart the encounter and spend more goods if you're tight on them as it'll let you get further and win more diamonds/prizes that help your city - the diamonds earned from expedition will outstrip the diamonds spent in the long run

2) Final blueprint on a key great building - particularly early in your game when it can feel difficult to just find more blueprints you might consider spending 200 diamonds for the last blueprint on a building that you feel will change your game entirely (Chateau Frontenac or The Arc being key examples of this). Mostly this is a bad buy in the long run - but not catastrophic.

3) Event currency - Some events will leave you close to getting extra prizes and spending a couple thousand diamonds might make a difference to you. This is more of a luxury but it can be nice to do sometimes :) Make sure to do the math to know what's realistic before you spend - some events it might be 10k+ diamonds to get the extra you think you want.

Thank you, I will keep those in mind. The negotiations so far have been either very easy or very cheap, but I am assuming it will get costly fairly soon, so I will start investing in tavern boosts eventually. And hopefully have my tavern upgraded so I make more silver.
I have been tempted to spend diamonds on blueprints, but atleast for now, I think it's better to guild hop (This will change later obviously for arc like you mentioned)
We will see how events go in the future, right now, I am not even worried about it as much.
Thanks again for the tips

- KQ -

That's good to know, I will give it a shot. Thanks

Yeah, I joined the forum as soon as I started the game, so I am on my 3rd day, but developing fast with Glarg's guide. Although, this space management thing is a problem when I get odd sized buildings. I keep trying to fit in more without buying expansions and then it bothers me when I can't

Buy the expansions. Also get to the point where you can complete level 4 of Guild Expeditions. There are diamond rewards all through the levels of GE, but the most are in level 4.

DeletedUser38766

Buy the expansions. Also get to the point where you can complete level 4 of Guild Expeditions. There are diamond rewards all through the levels of GE, but the most are in level 4.
Yeah, I can't wait to get started on those. I am very close to getting to IA now. Just waiting on a few more RQs to give me diamonds and I will level up right away