• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Notre Dame

Super Catanian

Recently, as many of you already know, the Notre Dame Cathedral was engulfed in flames and had it's iconic spire plummet due to the flames.

There are also numerous proposals listing that there should be something to commemorate the (partial) destruction of such an iconic landmark. I, personally, am sick of them, mostly because they don't use the proper proposal format.

So, what do you guys think about everything going on regarding the Notre Dame?

Super Catanian

I'll start this one off.

In my history class, my teacher brought up the news about the burning of Notre Dame, which many of us were already aware of. Then we carried on with our regular activities.
Once I was done, I got bored. :rolleyes: Yes, I know. "You should value your education!" Anyways, the teacher sometimes lets me write on the whiteboard, since I know how to write with the Old English Gothic style. So, I decided to put my mediocre drawing skills and my excellent calligraphy skills to the test.

So here is a drawing that I made just before class ended.

Attachments

• WIN_20190416_14_01_04_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20190416_14_01_04_Pro.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 31

UBERhelp1

I'll start this one off.

In my history class, my teacher brought up the news about the burning of Notre Dame, which many of us were already aware of. Then we carried on with our regular activities.
Once I was done, I got bored. :rolleyes: Yes, I know. "You should value your education!" Anyways, the teacher sometimes lets me write on the whiteboard, since I know how to write with the Old English Gothic style. So, I decided to put my mediocre drawing skills and my excellent calligraphy skills to the test.

So here is a drawing that I made just before class ended.
WHOAH! That is insanely good. Can definitely see the FoE influence on the cathedral lol.

Anyway, I think that it is kinda sad, but also provides an opportunity to create something new. Ya know, like a phoenix out of the ashes.

Super Catanian

WHOAH! That is insanely good. Can definitely see the FoE influence on the cathedral lol.

I legitimately looked up "notre dame forge of empires" on Google Images (damn school wi-fi won't let me access FoE directly and my VPN doesn't work there), and drew it as best as I could. Hopefully, it lasts more than one day there! :p

Anyway, I think that it is kinda sad, but also provides an opportunity to create something new. Ya know, like a phoenix out of the ashes.
I remember reading an article about how many of the building's gargoyles and other stonework were corroding, and how the gargoyles were replaced by plastic pipes (their purpose was to direct rainwater away from the Cathedral). The French government was planning on spending large amounts of money for renovations. So perhaps the flames were "a blessing in disguise".
Unsurprisingly, awareness for the Cathedral's desperate need of repairs grew with Disney's release of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame".

DeletedUser38884

Meh it's a historical landmark it belongs in history. Sell the property, and do things for the community that actually helps our society advance. Society as a whole puts entirely too much money into preserving old buildings and properties. In America, for example, any house over I think its 100 years old can qualify as a historical site and any place that gets that "classification" you cant modify it ever again IE. add plumbing to an old house and almost all towns/cities have a ton of them a lot of times being paid for by our tax dollars. We could take that same money and build low-income housing or reinvest in a million other things other than just fixing up old buildings.

Please note the only reason I said all the above stuff was to show another opinion this is supposed to be a debate, not a circle-jerk :p. I PERSONALLY think that the cathedral burning down is a HORRIBLE loss to mankind as a whole

Super Catanian

Ya know I was going to tease you for the boisterous way you described your calligraphy skills but I opened your pic and nope.. you earn your self praise and take some from me for good measure.
Haha, thanks! :D
Took me a few weeks to learn and memorize. Would have looked better if the marker I used wasn’t so dried up.
It’s the drawing skills I possess that I can’t brag about. :p

Super Catanian

It's been one month and the doodle is still there! This is the longest any of my drawings have stayed up any whiteboard at school.
So I decided to make some improvements, by highlighting the cathedral's features and "bolding" the calligraphic writing. Then I made the date at the bottom a bit neater, and added my signature!

When I told my history teacher, he said that he would take it down once it was fixed. We'll see how long that lasts...