• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feudal Japan Feedback

• Thread starter DeletedUser4770
  • Start date

DeletedUser40495

"Complain" often carries an implied negative meaning
Yes, that is why it is used to describe the action of giving negative feedback.

Doesn’t mean it’s bad though if it’s done correctly. In a feedback setting, having a poor perspective of the word “complain” is the fault of the person interpreting the word to mean something that, in a feedback setting, it does not. Perhaps you are confusing the term “complaining”, with whining or something like that. But the truth of the matter is that complaining in a feedback setting is perfectly fine - as long as it’s not entitled whining obviously. Inno asks for player complaints in a feedback thread.

If you choose to call it something else go ahead, but don’t say that the term “complaint” isn’t a perfectly fine way to describe negative feedback.

It can often lead folks to not give future contrary disagreeing views/opinions lest they be labeled a "complainer."
Nobody is being labeled as a “complainer”. If people take it that way, sorry, but that would be the same thing as everyone who goes to customer support at Walmart being labeled a complainer.

And yet... quaccy a short while ago gives same opinion as that 1st poster - that we have lots of fps opportunities already so something else would be nice (only difference is quaccy went on to give some specific ideas). Your response to the 1st poster then & now is that his view was a complaint that "doesn't make sense" in your opinion. Your response to the 2nd poster ... well... you agreed with him!
I agreed with part of quaccy’s response. I am all for unique military emissaries. I believe I also said though:
I agree with you 100%, but if Inno is going to give me more FP, I won’t be the one to complain.
Maybe saying that I agree 100% was a poor word choice, but I believe this statement gets the point across that while I agree with possibly having more unique emissaries, I would much rather have the FP one than anything. But not every emissary can give FP, so for the other ones, in my opinion, quaccy’s suggestion was great.

And you never used the word "complain” :).
I did:
I agree with you 100%, but if Inno is going to give me more FP, I won’t be the one to complain.
Although I was more direct with the first poster, I essentially told quaccy the same thing: Making complains about the FP emissary doesn’t make much sense to me.

I was obviously more open with quaccy because he gave more open reasons about his opinion. This gave me a chance to at least partially agree with him.

look at what happened when you literally left out "don't complain" in your 2nd response about the same negative viewpoint... the discussion got furthered in more detail, with thoughtful insights/etc then given by other posters. That's what I appreciate seeing & reinforcing.
Yes I agree, but it was not only my word choice that caused this. It was also quaccy’s more insightful feedback that furthered the discussion. So please don’t put all the responsibility on me, but I totally get what you are saying :)

Joeyjojojo

Looks good. Will do it. I do agree that some more variety/thought on the emissaries would be welcome, even obvious options have been ignored in favor of repeating the same things (atk/def boost, supplies/coins boost). Using them to boost the cultural settlements themselves somehow would have been clever and appropriate. Personally I'd like to see something reduce collection times (the disposable options aren't very useful since they don't apply to special buildings/GBs)...not much but a 23 hr collection cycle would be very nice so that you can avoid/undo collection timing creep. Perhaps that should've been what one of the [mostly] useless SAM GBs did...

I would also like for there to be more continuity from one settlement to the next. A small boost to the chance for 4x is nice, but it's still the exact same thing each time, at least a boost to diplomacy would make the tedious task of tearing down and building culture less necessary (though I gather that isn't as bad in this settlement as the Vikings).

DeletedUser35470

...You can run only one settlement at a time, but if you get bored with doing vikings you can switch to Japanese and then back to Vikings.

What's not to be bored about with both settlements? The entire premise is just build as efficiently as you can focusing on space versus goods accumulation hoping you beat the minimum time to get maximum shards spending 0-1000 diamonds per round. Rinse/repeat umpteen times until you have the max primary building and continue if you so desire to be stressed out from logging in every 1-4 hours trying to do it again in a shorter period with more obstacles to get more shards to complete the second building. Aside from the merchant I see no actual draw to the new settlement once completed the first time. Just another chore to repetitively complete with a different skin to get a decent building for hundreds of hours worth of effort.

I think it would be nice if all settlements could be worked on simultaneously - no reason for us to only be able to work on one at a time. Then when I decide I want the headache I can start 2 or more of the different settlements and go through them every hour or 4 several times a day. Then, upon completion, take a break from all of them for a few weeks - rinse/repeat. As it stands over a year from now I'll finish Yggdrasil and maybe another year and a half the new primary building for Japan.

I'll admit, I am guilty of enjoying the redesign of the village from time to time, but for the most part it just seems like real stress I don't need for a minor gain in my city. I definitely enjoy the weeks off I take between rounds. Not begrudging anyone's potential enjoyment - I just tend to find repetitive tasks...repetitive. LOL - wait isn't that the entire game? Why am I here again? Oh! Time to collect!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser30791

I'm on my 14th Viking settlement run so I'll get my lvl 9 Yggdrasil in well under a year. Yggdrasil is well worth the effort spent in my opinion. I'm on my 2nd run on the Feudal Japan settlement in Beta. It feels much better. Not having to tear down and rebuild nearly as much. The merchant helps a lot. Finished my 1st run with over 4 days to spare and should do the same in the 2nd run.

DeletedUser30791

I agree. The Feudal Japan Settlement seems much more fun and enjoyable than the Viking one.

But I haven't done it over and over and over and over again yet.
Except other than the merchant it is the same as Vikings settlement so you have done it over and over again. Rather than being more fun, I'd say it is quicker and less tedious.

DeletedUser21337

I am surprised that for a Feudal time period, the awarded building lack any Attack/Defense bonus. Please make the buildings useful by adding these bonus. Thanks

Kranyar the Mysterious

Fragments of the Shrine of Knowledge as a major quest reward are pretty much an insult in my opinion. Maybe it should be a few fragments of the Timeless Dojo instead, so that everyone that does the settlement gets a few, whether or not they finish in time, and those who finish fast get a bit more, like enough so they don't have to do any extra settlements above and beyond #13 to finish off their last Dojo.

DeletedUser30312

I might try out Japan once my current Viking settlement is done. I have almost a week left on it, and I don't feel like dumping it at this point.

Also, it'll give me the opportunity to learn from a week's worth of everyone else's mistakes.

ODragon

Also, it'll give me the opportunity to learn from a week's worth of everyone else's mistakes.

No mistakes so far but brutal start so far with 2 2-space rocks on the initial layout meaning I couldn't place as many buildings as possible, only one soy plantation. Not sure if two would normally fit but it did add 4 hours to my ability to open the shrine equivalent. And 3% 4x boost seems so low not compared to playing at 25%.

DeletedUser38100

So I was in the middle of a Viking Settlement (my 25th or 26th, I've lost count) and since there was no update to IOS FOE, I wasn't sure the new Feudal Japan was available.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and canceled my current Viking village.

Much to my surprise, I have a 24 hour lockout not only on the Viking Village, but also the Feudal Japan one? I can understand being locked out of the Viking Village, but the only reason I'm cancelling it is to try the FJ one.

Not listed anywhere that I could find and I would hope (in the future), you allow people to try the new content without punishing them, just because you're in the middle of the old

Thurfyr/Odhrorvar

Algona

Much to my surprise, I have a 24 hour lockout not only on the Viking Village, but also the Feudal Japan one?

Finish Japanese Settlement. Without a total 24 hour cooldown of all Settlements, you flip to Vikings and grind the 5 Quest Goods while waiting on the Japan cooldown.

I don;t have a clue yet if there is a 5 Quest equivalent in Japan (I forgot to look this morning! D'OH!) but if a player could just grind both every 36 hours?

This would get even more abusive with each Culture added to the game.

DeletedUser38100

Finish Japanese Settlement. Without a total 24 hour cooldown of all Settlements, you flip to Vikings and grind the 5 Quest Goods while waiting on the Japan cooldown.

I don;t have a clue yet if there is a 5 Quest equivalent in Japan (I forgot to look this morning! D'OH!) but if a player could just grind both every 36 hours?

While I understand the possibility of abuse, as a programmer, it would be really easy to prevent (easy to say, without looking at the code, I know). And, on top of that, there was no warning that you'd get a 24 hour lockout. One page I looked at even said you'd have to cancel (or finish) your viking village first. That seemed to me to be encouraging you to do this.

Others seem to be able to cancel and start FJ. Don't know if that's on a different platform (I'm IOS) or they didn't really cancel an in progress Viking settlement.

In either case, still not happy with this behavior.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Nothing grindable in the Japanese Settlement, except the settlement itself.

DeletedUser40618

I don’t think there’s any way that Feudal Japan will be completed quicker than the Vikings unless the merchant (which I haven’t unlocked yet) does something really amazing. It might not be enough by the time I get to it. The expansions take much longer to get out because of the cost and the layout makes it even harder to get your buildings connected. The impediments also seem higher in number than what I was used to with the Vikings.

Maybe it’s just a bad start but I’m finding that I have to build, sell, and build way too much to get things moving along. As for the new buildings, I’ll add the temple to my city right away but the dojo isn’t going to be added until I have 2 upgrades to make it worthy to replace something else.

My first impressions are that it looks great. The graphics really capture what feudal Japan looks like. But I think the Vikings have the edge in repeated playability so far. More thoughts as I progress.

Algona

Initial response...

A not white background is a wonderful change...

Artwork is beautiful thusfar.

I don't suppose there is any way that when we go to the Settlement that instead of being centered on an empty field we could be centered on the opened Expansions?

Query for beta testers, Is the starting point always in that corner?

----------

Which leads to some idle speculation.

Would it make any qualitative difference if the starting location was random with each iteration?

What happens if we get to select where we start with each iteration?

Hey; it's 4:30 AM. I accept full responsibillity for undisciplined and prolly poor thinkery.

ODragon

So far, for me, it seems like just a time waster at the beginning because you can't do much unless you are lucky.

On my first run, only room for 1 soy, with low chance at 4x, it is basically a 72 hour wait to get to the market. I'm hoping that once the market is open, things will progress a bit faster.

In Vikings, being able to put out two axe producers, at least at the beginning really helps open up the game.

DeletedUser36979

I want to abandon Vikings, can't figure out how. Each click of the ship sends me to Vikings - I want to go to Japan.