• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Answered] What are you supposed to do with a guild?

DeletedUser41019

Okay, I know this is probably a stupid question for someone who has reached the Late Middle Ages, but what am I meant to do with a guild? I have one, Resistance is Futile, but I have no idea how to recruit members, or what to do if and when I get members. One person joined my guild when I was in Early Middle ages, and he was several ages ahead of me (like, postmodern era), as i assumed a guild was probably about trade, I didn't blame him for leaving because he was sufficiently ahead of me in the game as we would not be trading in the same kinds of stuff, in much the same way as I am rarely in need of bronze age products (though I still produce them, mostly for use in the market). In short, I don't really know what a guild is for, or what to do with it. I understand doing the weekly expeditions... is that all there is to it, or is there more?

Some of the extra doubloon challenges have been making donations to the guild treasury... which I have done (mostly donated iron age stuff) for the doubloons... but what is the treasury for? Is it for trading as I suspected, or is there a millitary component maybe? I feel like although I am doing well in the game an I am very much enjoying it, there is a whole part of it I am not understanding (and therefore missing out on). Can any of you mods help me with this because I am at a loss here. I'm not a millitaristic player, and my army is for city defence only (I don't really have much of an army, I used it a lot in bronze age but now... not so much), I play nice with other players and press the aid button for each friend and neighbor once a day, and I use my tavern a lot and visit taverns.

I would like to recruit for my guild once I know how to use it and what I am supposed to be doing. Thanks :)

DeletedUser40495

To add on to what @bruadhin said...

It is always best to join an established guild as a new player. Preferably one with plenty of level 80 arcs an a 1.9 thread (this will make GB leveling easy). You probably also would want one that opens GE level 4 each week, if you don’t do GE I would advise starting. If you want to create a guild it’s best to do that as an established player, ideally with a group of other players.

Super Catanian

but what is the treasury for? Is it for trading as I suspected, or is there a millitary component maybe?
The Goods in the Guild Treasury are used for the Guild Expedition and Guild versus Guild.
In the Guild Expedition, there are 4 Difficulties available, and the first one is free to play for all members. After that, you will need to pay Goods from the Guild Treasury to unlock the subsequent Difficulties. The cost depends on the number of players in the Guild, as well as their ages.
Those Goods are also used for GvG. There, you will have to place siege armies on enemy sectors, as well as placing defending armies on sectors your Guild controls. The number of Goods required depends on the age of the province you're fighting in, as well as the number of sectors already under your Guild'S control.
Hope this helps! If you need more help, don't be afraid to ask me or other experienced players.

DeletedUser41019

Thanks everyone, that was a more speedy reply than I expected :) I think I'd better dissolve my guild and join one with lots of members. That way I can get a feel for guilds before trying to make my own. I guess I will learn as I go. I wish I had known this information, or asked for it way sooner.

Super Catanian

Thanks everyone, that was a more speedy reply than I expected :) I think I'd better dissolve my guild and join one with lots of members. That way I can get a feel for guilds before trying to make my own. I guess I will learn as I go. I wish I had known this information, or asked for it way sooner.
There is lots of information available here, coming from experienced players with advanced cities and Guilds. But don't feel bad. I didn't feel like this applied to me until I was in the Progressive Era. My Guild I created was not very active, so I dissolved it and joined a larger one. I am glad I did so.

Victoria and Albert

Okay, I know this is probably a stupid question for someone who has reached the Late Middle Ages, but what am I meant to do with a guild? I have one, Resistance is Futile, but I have no idea how to recruit members, or what to do if and when I get members. One person joined my guild when I was in Early Middle ages, and he was several ages ahead of me (like, postmodern era), as i assumed a guild was probably about trade, I didn't blame him for leaving because he was sufficiently ahead of me in the game as we would not be trading in the same kinds of stuff, in much the same way as I am rarely in need of bronze age products (though I still produce them, mostly for use in the market). In short, I don't really know what a guild is for, or what to do with it. I understand doing the weekly expeditions... is that all there is to it, or is there more?

Some of the extra doubloon challenges have been making donations to the guild treasury... which I have done (mostly donated iron age stuff) for the doubloons... but what is the treasury for? Is it for trading as I suspected, or is there a millitary component maybe? I feel like although I am doing well in the game an I am very much enjoying it, there is a whole part of it I am not understanding (and therefore missing out on). Can any of you mods help me with this because I am at a loss here. I'm not a millitaristic player, and my army is for city defence only (I don't really have much of an army, I used it a lot in bronze age but now... not so much), I play nice with other players and press the aid button for each friend and neighbor once a day, and I use my tavern a lot and visit taverns.

I would like to recruit for my guild once I know how to use it and what I am supposed to be doing. Thanks :)
Your treasury pays for your Guild Expediton. There is a cost for each player for levels 2 -4 to open up the level. The cost of each player varies depending what age the player is in.

Bruadhin

I spent several months playing this game before I understand how important a good guild is. I spent several more understanding the difference between a good one and a great one. Almost a year in the game before I landed in my current guild.

The level of help I have gotten is huge. My Arc is still not to 80, but even in the 60s it is powerful.

DeletedUser40527

As a new player myself, I will echo what everyone in this thread has said about joining an ACTIVE established guild. It has been absolutely invaluable in advancing in this game for me. In addtion to what's been said, a guild also makes completing those "Collect goods by production or trading" quests super easy. You just post a pair of "loop" trades into the chat (offer x good for y, and offer y good for x), and you're done. A high level guild will also give you free forge points every day, along with decreased recruitment time for units and also decreased cost for buildings. Also, it makes it easier to build GB's from more advanced ages by way of getting blueprints and trading FP for the necessary goods. I'm only in high middle age, but I've been able to build an Arc and Chateau Fronterac.

UBERhelp1

I didn't blame him for leaving because he was sufficiently ahead of me in the game as we would not be trading in the same kinds of stuff, in much the same way as I am rarely in need of bronze age products (though I still produce them, mostly for use in the market).
As you are in LMA, you don't need to produce BA goods anymore. They will be a waste of space, population, and resources.

Additionally, an active guild makes the game much more fun and enjoyable, as well as providing boosts to your city (based on the guild's level). I was lucky enough to join a good guild when I first started. If I hadn't, I probably wouldn't be playing this game anymore as I would have lost interest.

DeletedUser41019

As you are in LMA, you don't need to produce BA goods anymore. They will be a waste of space, population, and resources.

Additionally, an active guild makes the game much more fun and enjoyable, as well as providing boosts to your city (based on the guild's level). I was lucky enough to join a good guild when I first started. If I hadn't, I probably wouldn't be playing this game anymore as I would have lost interest.

Oh, I kept my lumbermill and my marble mason because I sometimes exchange some bronze age products for other bronze age products as and when I need them. I normally only ever need them for when I have to unlock a sector on the map to earn a chest, expansion or deposit. I am finding I use it less now, but I'll delete the buildings once I find I no longer need them. I've kept every building with matching deposits and just used trading to get more of what I need. I recently exchanged some lumber for dye.

DeletedUser41019

That's crazy! I just recently traded 10 Granite (EMA) for 20 Iron (IA) and then traded that for 40 Dye (BA)!

When you netted 10 dye for your work I got 4 times that much! Bonkers!!!

You've probably got a good point there, I didn't even think about that so much. BA goods aren't hard to come by on trades, and in quantity too if need be. I've just gotten into the Colonial age today, so it might be worth me getting rid of my iron age productions too? Only if I need the space though, I have some land set aside for colonial age productions buildings once I get them. I need to increase my population some (work in progress, I'm building LMA houses as quickly as my ten cooperages can produce the supplies to build them). I got my extra space by selling my iron age public baths (there were 4 of them) and replacing them with LMA Academy and letterpress. The only reason I kept the iron age baths for so long was because even though they took up more space, the amount of happiness they gave was very good when you consider how little they cost (seems like a huge investment when you're actually in the iron age, but a few eras later and they seem to be comparitively cheap). But like all buildings, they outdid their usefulness eventually. I guess I should streamline my goods buildings as I did my cultural ones.

DeletedUser40527

You've probably got a good point there, I didn't even think about that so much. BA goods aren't hard to come by on trades, and in quantity too if need be. I've just gotten into the Colonial age today, so it might be worth me getting rid of my iron age productions too? Only if I need the space though, I have some land set aside for colonial age productions buildings once I get them. I need to increase my population some (work in progress, I'm building LMA houses as quickly as my ten cooperages can produce the supplies to build them). I got my extra space by selling my iron age public baths (there were 4 of them) and replacing them with LMA Academy and letterpress. The only reason I kept the iron age baths for so long was because even though they took up more space, the amount of happiness they gave was very good when you consider how little they cost (seems like a huge investment when you're actually in the iron age, but a few eras later and they seem to be comparitively cheap). But like all buildings, they outdid their usefulness eventually. I guess I should streamline my goods buildings as I did my cultural ones.
Before getting rid of any goods buildings, I would consider stocking up on some goods in order to trade for later age/era goods for GB construction. I'm talking in the range of 1000s. Unless you are ONLY going to build GBs from the age that you are in, you will need goods to trade for them because the exchange only allows a trade ratio between 0.5 and 2.0. Let's say you want to build an Arc, but you are in LMA or Colonial age. It would be not be feasible to trade up your LMA goods for Future goods in the market. Instead, you would find a arc goods seller, and you would pay a mutually agreed upon amount of FP. Once paid, you need a way to actually acquire the goods from the seller. At a 0.5 ratio, you will need close to 1000 goods in order to trade.