• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Whats the point of life?

Lannister the Rich

We perceive the world such that everything appears binary, but in reality, there is “a shade of grey” to everything. It comes down to “how is it defined” and whether it is universally agreed upon. 0 is 0; 1 is 1. Or are they? Nothing is ever universally agreed because we are all different and all have different opinions.

There are no absolutes in the universe.

DeletedUser36572

I don't understand your point. These two things are not mutually exclusive. "Hedge your bets"? There's no such thing, spiritually speaking. To me, life is about embracing both the opportunity and the mission. It's kind of sad, really, that you think they are two separate paths.

What’s sad is the idea you need to find some purpose to disagree with me ... ;)

I can tell you right now that your mission (whatever it may be) has absolutely nothing to do with my life nor its purpose. Living life to its fullest has a tendency to reveal the mission and purpose we all have the opportunity to embrace.

If you think I need your assistance or approval to accomplish what life intends for me ... That’s not only sad, but a rather narcissistic self righteous stance that doesn’t encourage me to pursue ... Good Luck In Your Endeavors though.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser36572

We perceive the world such that everything appears binary, but in reality, there is “a shade of grey” to everything. It comes down to “how is it defined” and whether it is universally agreed upon. 0 is 0; 1 is 1. Or are they? Nothing is ever universally agreed because we are all different and all have different opinions.

So would you agree that in reality, equality can only exists in applied mathematics?

DeletedUser36572

In a general sense to help us understand and describe the world around us, yes.

Thanks ... And we have to manipulate reality to achieve a cooperative understanding.

The Universe, and everything in it, is in a state of constant motion and change, even on a molecular level. Nothing is ever truly equal to itself from one fraction of a second to the next.

DeletedUser

What’s sad is the idea you need to find some purpose to disagree with me ... ;)

I can tell you right now that your mission (whatever it may be) has absolutely nothing to do with my life nor its purpose. Living life to its fullest has a tendency to reveal the mission and purpose we all have the opportunity to embrace.

If you think I need your assistance or approval to accomplish what life intends for me ... That’s not only sad, but a rather narcissistic self righteous stance that doesn’t encourage me to pursue ... Good Luck In Your Endeavors though.
I never said my mission has anything to do with you. Nor did I say that you need my assistance or approval. I'm not ruling out the possibility, but I'm not arrogant enough to think that my mission involves everyone I run into.
There are plenty of absolutes in the universe. Stop eating and you will absolutely die. Just one example.

DeletedUser36572

I never said my mission has anything to do with you. Nor did I say that you need my assistance or approval. I'm not ruling out the possibility, but I'm not arrogant enough to think that my mission involves everyone I run into.

No ... You were arrogant enough to think my comment could be appropriately addressed by your response ... And still are.

Lannister the Rich

There are plenty of absolutes in the universe. Stop eating and you will absolutely die. Just one example.
Death is certain: it is the only thing that is certain in life. How death occurs is not certain. Regardless, the statement is within the model of reality, not reality itself. It is an approximation, a hypothesis, that does not mean that it is absolutely false, it would merely be inaccurate.

RazorbackPirate

Regardless, the statement is within the model of reality, not reality itself. It is an approximation, a hypothesis, that does not mean that it is absolutely false, it would merely be inaccurate.
I like salad, but not word salad. This makes no sense.

Inaccurate, means wrong, as in not accurate, or not correct, i.e. a false hypothesis. 1 + 1 = 2, every single time. Call 1 + 1 = 3 inaccurate if you want, but 1 + 1 = 3 is wrong. Every single time.

Last edited:

DeletedUser36572

While I like salad, but not word salad. This makes no sense.

Inaccurate, means wrong, as in not accurate, or not correct, i.e. a false hypothesis. 1 + 1 = 2, every single time. Call 1 + 1 = 3 inaccurate if you want, but 1 + 1 = 3 is wrong. Every single time.
If I said ... “It rained yesterday” ... That would be inaccurate.
Does that mean it didn’t rain anywhere yesterday?

DeletedUser

Not being 100% correct is not the same as being incorrect.
Umm...yes, it is.

If I said ... “It rained yesterday” ... That would be inaccurate.
That would only be inaccurate if you specified a place where it didn't actually rain, or if it did not rain anywhere. Since we can probably (I would hope) agree that it did rain somewhere yesterday, then the statement is accurate, just really vague.

DeletedUser

Death is certain: it is the only thing that is certain in life. How death occurs is not certain.
My statement isn't that death is certain, my statement is that lack of nourishment will result in death. Every time. Lack of water will also result in death. Every time. If I step off the roof of a building without some sort of safety harness, I will fall to the ground. Every time. Lots of things are absolutely certain, whether they are "agreed upon" or not.

DeletedUser

If I got a 99% on a test, am I incorrect? The test? The score? Or did I answer one part of the test incorrectly? Does that make the entire thing incorrect? It does not. It makes it imperfect. Imperfect is not incorrect.
Apples and oranges. You can only get test answers correct or incorrect, not the test in its entirety. You're using the words "correct" and "incorrect" inaccurately. A test can either be passed or failed, and whether you pass or fail will depend on the specific criteria for that particular test. However, if the criteria is that getting 70% of the answers correct is necessary to pass, then you will absolutely fail if you only get 69% correct.

Lannister the Rich

My statement isn't that death is certain, my statement is that lack of nourishment will result in death. Every time. Lack of water will also result in death. Every time. If I step off the roof of a building without some sort of safety harness, I will fall to the ground. Every time. Lots of things are absolutely certain, whether they are "agreed upon" or not.
All you are doing is describing ways to die, which we have already decided that death is certain. You have not proved anything.

DeletedUser

All you are doing is describing ways to die, which we have already decided that death is certain. You have not proved anything.
Umm...no, I'm not. I never said falling to the ground would kill you. It may, or it may not. But fall you will. Every time.