• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Negative happiness?

DeletedUser37344

The asylum in the current Halloween event shows a discouraging list of benefits for a 5x5 plot ... -350 happiness ...really? you build it and it deducts happiness? You get 1 population and 19,300 coins in 24h. Are they serious? Who'd want this item and why?

Am I missing a nuance?

Vger

The place looks creepy. Bats fly out of it!!! Would you like one of these next door to you? How would your neighbors feel about that? Everyone happy with that situation? Nah...I sense some negative happiness from your neighbors.

The players that would want this are the ones that have happiness under control (usually with a traz or HS). The why would be the attack boost, goods and FPs you get at level 9. Awesome for a little 5x5.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Originally on beta it gave a lot of population and no happiness. Many people asked for the negative happiness and less population, both because over time people get too much population vs. happiness and in the spirit of the Black Tower (a prior Halloween event building that has negative happiness).

Inno's rebalance giving one population and negative happiness ends up being basically the same as lots of population and no happiness.

As to why you'd want it - it is a powerhouse at level 9. Most players won't build it until they either have all the upgrades in hand or are certain that they will by the end of the event, since the lower levels are less than impressive and are a means, not an end.

DeletedUser37344

Thanks for the enlightenment ... I have enough difficulty balancing population and happiness ... this adds another dimension of difficulty for me! :(

Algona

this adds another dimension of difficulty for me! :(

Difficulty = opportunity. Happily, vger have you the perfect advice for your situation:

The players that would want this are the ones that have happiness under control (usually with a traz or HS)

As your two cities progress and your pop keeps going up you will need at least one of those two GBs to enable an enthusiastic population.

Both are ridiculously large, but the space savings from being able to get rid of most if not all Cultural Buildings and Decos (and Barracks with Traz) mitigates their size.

Given you don't seem to fight much, I suspect Hagia might work best for you.

Good luck!

DeletedUser37581

When it comes down to it, an enthusiastic population is over-rated. A lot of cities can do just fine without the enthusiasm boost. And building an extra source of supplies/coins can often be more effective than the space taken by culture or decorations.

Algona

When it comes down to it, an enthusiastic population is over-rated.

Quests and DCs would beg to differ.

Autocompleting Quest > scrambling for enthusiasm.

For players who want Event Special Buildings it is better to get in the habit early on of acquiring and lvling HS or Traz as pop increases then worry about enthusiasm every time a Quest asks for it.

RazorbackPirate

With HS, there's no reason not to have an enthusiastic population. Need more happy, get more daily FPs. That's always worked well for me.

DeletedUser37581

With HS, there's no reason not to have an enthusiastic population. Need more happy, get more daily FPs. That's always worked well for me.
Level 70 HS, level 30 Traz. My city will be losing enthusiasm as I level up my Inno even as I bring Traz up to level 70. But I get plenty of supplies from HC and plenty of coins from Chateau.

Jern2017

Difficulty = opportunity. Happily, vger have you the perfect advice for your situation:

As your two cities progress and your pop keeps going up you will need at least one of those two GBs to enable an enthusiastic population.

Both are ridiculously large, but the space savings from being able to get rid of most if not all Cultural Buildings and Decos (and Barracks with Traz) mitigates their size.

Given you don't seem to fight much, I suspect Hagia might work best for you.

Good luck!

I completely agree. Also, a big plus for me is when you get rid of cultural buildings and decorations is that more important buildings, especially event buildings, get aided more.

Agent327

I completely agree. Also, a big plus for me is when you get rid of cultural buildings and decorations is that more important buildings, especially event buildings, get aided more.

Cause they give fp's event buildings get aided anyhow.

Emberguard

When it comes down to it, an enthusiastic population is over-rated. A lot of cities can do just fine without the enthusiasm boost. And building an extra source of supplies/coins can often be more effective than the space taken by culture or decorations.
Agreed it's not entirely necessary with all the events available to worry about happiness.

Quests and DCs would beg to differ.

Autocompleting Quest > scrambling for enthusiasm.
That's the biggest "kicker". Though may just put down an Atom if the other GBs become too difficult to lvl up further. I'm sure the guild wouldn't complain about extra goods with GBG coming up.

Kranyar the Mysterious

My main city is producing upwards of 300 fp per day, and is mostly filled with event buildings and great buildings.

At this point I need very little population, and in fact only need 494 of the 4354 population I have. I don't have any production buildings to speak of, my Sunken Treasures that usually produce fp become general production buildings during events. Occasionally I throw out a couple of blacksmiths. I once had an Inno Tower, but got rid of it (it was only at level 3 before I didn't need the population anymore and it became more of a burden than a boon).

My happiness is mostly taken care of by some set pieces from the Cherry Garden sets or Palace sets I have out, or other event buildings. I don't have any normal decorations, a HS, a Traz, or any other dedicated happiness GB. Don't need them since I am sitting on 14.7k of happiness, with an excess beyond 120% of 8.7k. HS and Traz each take up a huge amount of space that can be better used elsewhere if you don't need them.

The point is, with some smart city planning and the right mix of event buildings and great buildings, you really don't need to worry about happiness in the lower eras. I won't speak to high era cities and their needs because I don't have any cities in those eras.

If you have access to the AD, get some Cherry Garden sets out. The only thing that really beats them in a 5x5 space is the new Asylum, and it doesn't provide happiness or defense.

Algona

The point is, with some smart city planning and the right mix of event buildings and great buildings, you really don't need to worry about happiness in the lower eras.

That's a fairly sophisticated time consuming technique. Pretty sure the OP isn't quite ready to give that a whirl; they don't have powered Arc or Chat or Cape, three attack GBs, or a daily production of hundreds of FPs.

How would you recommend a relative new player adopt your technique?

Emberguard

Just use the tech tree culture buildings if you really need happiness, haven’t got a well established city and don’t have a better happiness event building

Super Catanian

That's a fairly sophisticated time consuming technique. Pretty sure the OP isn't quite ready to give that a whirl; they don't have powered Arc or Chat or Cape, three attack GBs, or a daily production of hundreds of FPs.

Memorials.

Kranyar the Mysterious

That's a good question. My city hasn't always been like this, and yes it took time to get it here. I've never had a happiness problem though, even at the beginning.

If someone has rushed the ages, they are probably going to be in a bit of a bind. I guess I'd say slow down an build up your city. I would guess the best solution would vary a lot, so I'm not sure which way to go would be best for them.

If it's a new player, I say build an Oracle first and take it to level 5 or so. This will give enough happiness for awhile, plus supplies, so long as they only build enough houses to cover their needs. The Oracle is small and cheap to level, and they can eventually remove it once their city doesn't need it.

Then after Zeus and maybe CdM concentrate on getting great buildings that will let you get rid of regular buildings that require population. The Chateau gives lots of coins and lets you eliminate goods buildings even by level 10, so long as you do recurring quests. The HC gives great supplies plus it's bonus rewards even at low levels (I used the DT for this since the HC didn't exist, and it is a viable alternative). Then build and power level an Arc. Everything else comes after in my book.

While you do that you will have time to acquire lots of event buildings.

Last edited: