• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Rules of Etiquette

DeletedUser42048

I propose that the practice of joining a guild for the purpose of recruiting for another guild be deemed poor etiquette, and that the official rules be amended to reflect such.

Super Catanian

Big nope!
If you don't like people doing that, it's as simple as changing the settings of your Guild to not be Auto-Join. Besides, you can't enforce social norms, since that is a matter of conscience, and something INNO cannot control. It would be poor etiquette in your part to enforce your own conscience upon others.

-1 for each member currently in my Guild, so...

DeletedUser42048

Big nope!
If you don't like people doing that, it's as simple as changing the settings of your Guild to not be Auto-Join. Besides, you can't enforce social norms, since that is a matter of conscience, and something INNO cannot control. It would be poor etiquette in your part to enforce your own conscience upon others.

-1 for each member currently in my Guild, so...
I understand all that. I've been playing for a long time, and I'm currently running 2 guilds. Turning off auto join doesn't work, some will even wait until their application is approved to post all their great buildings and trade offers, not donate anything to the treasury knowing that their very presence will require higher age goods on the expedition. Then they bail right after leaving a message recruiting for another guild that can't be deleted by the founder. People are threatening to quit because of it, and I'm just trying to do something about it. I'm sure other guild founders are just as frustrated as I am that certain practices are not discouraged in the rules. The only practice that is discouraged is using all caps. It won't cost them anything to officially discourage it, but it Will cost them if people stop giving Innogames money because it. Maybe that will get their attention. Their competitors have rules of Etiquette that ban guild sniping, they should too.

DeletedUser

This is an unworkable proposal. There is no way for a game mechanism to determine a player's intentions when joining a guild. And simply adding a statement to the official game rules would be counterproductive in the long run. It wouldn't do anything to solve your problem (which is actually an unsolvable problem even in real life) and it would just make victims of these players disgruntled even more when they complain to support and support tells them that there is nothing they can do about it. If someone leaves such a message, simply post on that thread that your other members should leave the thread.

Since this is not a viable suggestion, I will move this to Forge Hall in case anyone wishes to (respectfully) discuss it further.

DeletedUser37581

How is it to be determined the mindset of a person who joins a guild and then leaves? Just because someone leaves a guild shortly (define shortly) after joining doesn't mean that they joined specifically with the purpose in mind to recruit others, even is that is what happens at the end.

DeletedUser42048

How is it to be determined the mindset of a person who joins a guild and then leaves? Just because someone leaves a guild shortly (define shortly) after joining doesn't mean that they joined specifically with the purpose in mind to recruit others, even is that is what happens at the end.
I'm not talking about guild hopping. I'm fine with that. What's wrong with asking players to not do things that cause other players to quit? It doesn't mean that you have to throw up your hands and say oh well, that's just how it is. I would be happy if they said "Innogames asks that you be respectful of other players." at least that would be something.

DeletedUser42048

I'm not the only guild founder dealing with this current tactic to infiltrate and disrupt other guilds. I seem to be the only one bringing it up. I'm perfectly fine with all that. It's a game. I have heard that certain players have crossed the line of common decency, insulted other players, etc. Because they are not asked to do otherwise. If something is happening in your business that is causing you to lose customers, you should address it, shouldn't you? People are threatening to quit playing.

DeletedUser

I have heard that certain players have crossed the line of common decency, insulted other players, etc. Because they are not asked to do otherwise.
If players are abusive, report them. There are rules about player behavior. Maybe before you suggest changes to the game rules you should read them.

DeletedUser42048

If players are abusive, report them. There are rules about player behavior. Maybe before you suggest changes to the game rules you should read them.
I have already read them. I'm not an idiot. I know what the current rules are. I'm only trying to do something about an issue that is causing people to want to stop playing.

Algona

What's wrong with asking players to not do things that cause other players to quit?

You got it backwards. If folks quit your Guild when someone else pops in and asks them, your problem ain't the raider, it's your Guild.

Guilds are a lot like shoes. You really want a perfect fit. This benefits the player and the Guild. The player is more productive and less chance of being a troublemaker in a Guild they are happy in and the Guild is a lot better place when players are happy with their Guild.

I've been playing for a long time

You got 600K RP. That combined with your request to change the game to 'protect' your Guild instead of figuring out why folks readily leave your Guild tells me otherwise.

Last edited:

Darth Mole

I've been a guild leader for years. Never found it to be a problem.
Super dumb proposal. How is the game supposed to know the intentions of anyone joining a guild. If you don't like them boot them. Better still have a better screening process so that undesirables don't get a foot in the door.

Emberguard

What's wrong with asking players to not do things that cause other players to quit? It doesn't mean that you have to throw up your hands and say oh well, that's just how it is. I would be happy if they said "Innogames asks that you be respectful of other players." at least that would be something.
there is a long list that could be made for “not do things that cause other players to quit”. The majority of which comes down to players wanting to micro manage their environment (or rather wanting to control other people’s actions or inaction). If inno tried to police based on that there wouldn’t be a game left to play.

DeletedUser40197

I've been playing for around 2 years. I've never seen this happen. I've had players send me PMs trying to recruit me, they never joined my guild to try to do it, though.

DeletedUser

I've been playing for around 2 years. I've never seen this happen. I've had players send me PMs trying to recruit me, they never joined my guild to try to do it, though.
Yeah, I've been playing almost 5 years, been in literally dozens of guilds both big and small. Never once have I seen this happen. I'm not saying it didn't happen to the OP's guild, but it seems to me that this would be a rare (and generally ineffective) tactic. I sure wouldn't want to switch to a guild that would use such methods.

Graviton

What's wrong with asking players to not do things that cause other players to quit?

I'd wager being plundered leads the list of reasons people quit this game and being invited to other guilds may not be on it at all.

You got it backwards. If folks quit your Guild when someone else pops in and asks them, your problem ain't the raider, it's your Guild.

This right here. I see invitation messages for other guilds with some frequency. Unless I'm unhappy with my current guild I just delete them. I don't know if I'm getting them from someone on my Friends List or it's a guild-hopper. Doesn't matter, I'm not interested. It's the same minor annoyance I feel when players send out blast-o-grams about their GBs or wanting something polished. Certainly nothing to quit over.

Super Catanian

It's the same minor annoyance I feel when players send out blast-o-grams about their GBs or wanting something polished. Certainly nothing to quit over.
[SARCASM]
"Please get rid of the message system allowing players to send me messages! It's annoying and I might quit if they don't stop sending me GB attachments! Please amend the rules to reflect that!"
[/SARCASM]

Last edited:

Algona

I've been playing for around 2 years. I've never seen this happen.
Yeah, I've been playing almost 5 years, been in literally dozens of guilds both big and small. Never once have I seen this happen.

It's happened to me a few times. Oddly enough once while I was doing my Guild to Guild Peddling last year.

The guy had started a GE oriented Guild the week before handed over the Guild to another Guildie and spent a lot of time recruiting.

Intrigued me so I wound up joining the Guild for a week.

Turned out to be a really successful technique for recruiting. In two weeks they had about 30 Guildies. I just looked, they are now 77-4-0 in GEC.

It goes back to what i said earlier about Guilds and shoes.