• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Egypt Cultural Settlement Feedback

mamboking053

I'm continuing to go at it because it;s a learning experience but...

I'm not seeing the point.

What kind of player is INNO targeting with the Egyptian buildings?

Yggdrasil is a great addition to a fighter's city, the Runestones are ok, real good for new cities.. Shinto Temple is darned good. The Dojos are sweet as well. A good player can get both complete Ygg and Temple in 8-12 months.

I'm looking at that long to get the Bathhouse and 2 AOs.

Non fighters are gonna have to learn a lot in order to get Rewards that help with fighting. I think either INNO or I are missing something here.

Fighters? Seems like they already gotta be decent at fighting to make the time Rewards. Do they need more troops from the Bathhouse?

I don't need more troops, I got Traz. In my newest city I had Traz up long before completing Vikings.* The troops from the Bathhouse would be a nice addition, but I get all I want from GE 64. Emmisaries, and Dojos. And that's in a new city. Established cities? Bathouse is ok for troops, good FP amount but most established cities belonging to folk who could do Egypt already have Traz and handfuls of FP producing SBs.

The Ancient Obelisks are the bomb. 3+ months of multiple time per day effort to get one?

Not for me, I do congratulate any of you what gots the sticktoitness to do so.

Anyway, not saying I'm not saying I'm not having fun, I am. (I'll post a bit more on this later, I got the feeling that the lead designer for Egypt was more interested in getting revenge on the players for being able to do Japan and Vikings in timely manners then making Egypt a long term fun expereince.) Just can't see this being fun after one or two iterations and that the Rewards don;t seem to be worth trying to complete.

Pure opinion though on my part.

*A mistake in hindsight. If I were starting a new city I'd do Japan first. Easier, faster, better Rewards, but do have to make the Time Rewards. Then do Vikings at which point you won't care about the time Rewards because by then you'll realize that Runestone ain't that good. I can't even begin to imagine wanting to do Egypt as the first Settlement in a new city.

Seems like it was meant to be something you build more for the guild. The troops and goods would be help with GbG and whoever still plays GvG. How useful it is will probably be subjective. It's still a nice add to your city if your the type of player that builds 10 HoF's. I am wondering if the troop's it offers affects what the Alcatraz will produce...

I'd actually prefer the Vikings first. The combat and fp in that floor space is very good at beginner levels. It's rough to get through, but that's exactly why I would do it first. Get it over with and it was because of the slow slog that Vikings was that Japan was so nice. I'd rather go bad to good than good to bad.

I don't really hate this one. I find the new style of it interesting and since I know I'm not going to be taking it seriously and stressing myself out with a deadline, it's like a nice little plant I can come by and water every now and then. Eventually I'll get the main prize and I'm sure I can find 12 tiles that wasn't giving me better than 12fp and 30 g-goods/day to drop it on.

DeletedUser40996

I'm about 2-3 days in to settlement with 8 of 23 objectives done . I'm sure I'll do mostly Vikings and Japan until they're finished but IMHO it's nice having a 3rd option so you don't get burned out on the other 2 especially if you're a newer player .

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It's a horrible settlement. 2 different types of coins to track and the fighting is awful for a settlement with no boosts. Abandoned and back to Japan.
I agree with this. Too complicated for a side feature. Besides that, I don't like the aesthetics. (Which I realize is a personal preference matter.) Back to Japan for me, too.

FENRIR NEFASTE

I'm quest 15/23, tomorrow i begin to produce the last goods. Fight are not easy but i'm a fighter, 50000 victory in game and i'm very good in purple heart too)). Just few advice:
-have at minimum two archer barracks and one of a camel
- roads are expensive so you have to be economical
- the number of fights won per day will tell you how many resource buildings you can rotate. If you win two fights you can have two resource buildings if you win 3 you can have 3
- the extensions are not expensive but I recommend 2 in cereals 3 in pots 3 in flowers. It may be good to choose the one behind the embassy you will have free picks to remove one or two badly placed rocks

Zatrikon

Also, in case anyone is interested and doesn't know: The battles in the Egyptian Settlement do not count towards the Daily Challenge, even though the battles in the GE and GBG do.

DeletedUser15539

It is not easy to going back to a zero percent boost, and no reduction in unit build time. And I wish there was some way to disable the auto battle button. After hitting it so much in GvG and GBG, I mindlessly hit in in Egypt, with the predictable results.

UBERhelp1

Also, in case anyone is interested and doesn't know: The battles in the Egyptian Settlement do not count towards the Daily Challenge, even though the battles in the GE and GBG do.
Additionally, HC will not trigger for Egyptian fights.

Zatrikon

Additionally, HC will not trigger for Egyptian fights.
Uh, what's HC?

None of the GBs that normally help with combat help in Egypt. The recruitment/healing bonus you get from your guild level doesn't help in Egypt. Kraken/AO/Virgo Project don't help in Egypt. Sentinel Outposts and Tactician's Towers do not help in Egypt. Alcatraz doesn't give unattached Egyptian units, nor does any other source of unattached units. Boost bottles and boosts from the Tavern don't help in Egypt.

It occurs to me that maybe Color Guards and Drummers (which are useless in the regular game past the first few ages) might actually be useful in Egypt, if only it would let you use them there.

I almost fell of my chair laughing when I read people complaining about 2 (not 200, not 100, but 2...which last time I checked was only 1 more than 1!) types of currency being complicated.

It's not complicated, it's not even hard. I am not the best fighter and I play 100% on mobile so I don't have the advantage that people who fight on a PC do (my one complaint about Egypt to Inno is that you guys HAVE to fix the terrain and not being able to see how far opposing troops can move for us mobile players) and I'm going to finish the first run through with at least 8 days left (and maybe 10 if I get lucky once or twice with the 4x) with way less effort than I used for Japan or the Vikings.

Take a few minutes to learn which troops are best against the opposing army and just use a bit of common sense. It's 2 or 3 battles per day. You don't need to sit and collect coins

With GBG guild goods are worth a premium now and defense for your attacking army is the most difficult thing to raise. I will gladly take that 6% on the same size footprint as an SoK.

I love the settlements. The yaggdrasil tree from the viking settlement is awesome with 30% attack boost. japan settlement not as good, but i'll take the goods. i hope they keep doing this. i'll max out all the buildings and get even more competitive advantage. once you do a couple of rounds in each settlement and figure out a good pattern, they are quite easy to complete.

polarbarez

Sux...designed to suck diamonds..Inno getting too greedy...will not play again and may boycott diamond buying to express my disgust

DeletedUser36145

It is not easy to going back to a zero percent boost, and no reduction in unit build time. And I wish there was some way to disable the auto battle button. After hitting it so much in GvG and GBG, I mindlessly hit in in Egypt, with the predictable results.

Did that by mistake yesterday and although I won the battle and even got x4 of loot, I lost 6 of my units and some were chariots. Will have to rebuild them for a day and a half. Still mad at myself!
So, please, disable "auto battle"!

DeletedUser30312

As it's my first run through like most, I'm still trying to figure out which units are the best to use, learning the advantages and limitations of each. If there is an advantage I may have, it's that I hate auto-battle so as a result, I'm fairly good at manual fighting. However, I still have to learn the best units and the best strategies to fight with them.

Far too many players consider themselves digital bad asses in FoE, when in reality, they can only auto-battle and can only manage that becuase of extremely high GB boosts and a high level Traz producing unlimited units they can send to their death. Many of them are now lost in the Egyptian settlement because of it, having never learned to actually fight. They're also the ones who railed against attrition in GBG, as it rises quickly rendering auto-battle ineffective quickly as well.

I definitely agree with this. Add to that knowing what the one "best" unit is for each as and spamming that one unit with a bunch of rogues. I think GvG is part of the problem here, since speed is of the essence, and auto-battle is the only way to get all those fights done efficiently. But even players who want to blow through GE auto, and I've done that quite a bit myself. But I pay attention to unit relationships, terrain effects and how they fight against each other as well.

Egypt's a bit trickier because I'm not familiar with these units at all. And I've mostly been doing it on mobile where it's hard to tell what the terrain is.

It's not complicated, it's not even hard. I am not the best fighter and I play 100% on mobile so I don't have the advantage that people who fight on a PC do (my one complaint about Egypt to Inno is that you guys HAVE to fix the terrain and not being able to see how far opposing troops can move for us mobile players) and I'm going to finish the first run through with at least 8 days left (and maybe 10 if I get lucky once or twice with the 4x) with way less effort than I used for Japan or the Vikings.

Take a few minutes to learn which troops are best against the opposing army and just use a bit of common sense. It's 2 or 3 battles per day. You don't need to sit and collect coins

Terrain on mobile is something in general that needs to be fixed. You can't mouse over hexes and see what terrain is, and that makes manual battles more difficult than they should be when you're not taking proper advantage of terrain bonuses. For example, take a look at this:

terrain.png

That hex is plains, but the overlap from the forest hex to the lower left makes it looks like maybe there's at least bushes on it. Forest hexes in general can be hard to pick out at times and sometimes a hex looks likes it's forest, but it's graphical overlap from a neighboring tile, especially on a heavily forested map. Another type of terrain that's hard to pick out are swamps some of which are hard to tell apart from plains. Now I've gotten used to the standard BA-Indy combat screens as well as the PME/GE screen from a good deal of practice, but even then I make occasional bad moves if it's hard to tell what's what. If the terrain graphics where fully enclosed by their hex, a player wouldn't need to rely on mouse overs and mobile players would be able to tell what's what.

Another downside to fighting on mobile is that there really isn't anyway to tell how far enemy units can move or attack, and that's a problem in lower ages when a player risks moving a close range unit into range of a ranged unit. From Indy onward it's less of a problem because just about everything attacks at range.

These problems with mobile combat generally make me want to rely on the auto-battle instead especially for trivial fights, but the AI gets stupid with some units.

Back to Egyptians.

I agree that the road tile needs improved visibility. Stretches of multiple road can probably get by with a darker or better outlined curb. The single tiles of roads are the ones that are hardest to see and should be tweaked for improved visibility.

Not happy with impediments in this one. Oh yeah, the starting area won't have any, but now ALL expansions have one, and they all seem to be 2x1s or 1x2s! And many are inconveniently centered on their expansions! Arrrg! Even with pickaxes, that makes it an incredible pain to plan out where to expand the city.

Annoying that roads have a deben costs, and it's annoyingly high too at 200 per tile, while deben production is rather low. But goods require loot rather than debens, while are used to build roads or recruit units, and those costs are less than the 1k/2k/4/k costs for goods in the other two settlements. So I don't know how that's going to balance over the long run.

At the very least, I think I'll focus on finishing up Japan on my main, and then do Egypt, since I'll have the other two settlement types done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Super Catanian

Annoying that roads have a deben costs, and it's annoyingly high too at 200 per tile, while deben production is rather low. But goods require loot rather than debens, while are used to build roads or recruit units, and those costs are less than the 1k/2k/4/k costs for goods in the other two settlements. So I don't know how that's going to balance over the long run.
After a while, it's not as bad. Currently, I have several thousand Deben, and that is because unlike Goods, I am not continuously making them. And since all my Units are trained, I am also not continuously spending Deben to train more. As for the Loot, I might be getting too much. I have about three thousand of it, which I feel is pretty good.

But I do agree with you regarding Impediments. In fact, in my current Settlement, two of them are touching each other, resulting in a sort of mega Impediment blocking 4 tiles...

DeletedUser30312

Yeah, with Vikings or Japan, generally you look for expansions that a impediment free or at least only have a 1x1 that's out of the way. Here, ruins are everywhere and you got to figure out which way to expand to not be too inconvenienced by them.

UBERhelp1

The battlefield tiles are pretty clear in my opinion. Bushes are short plants, trees are tall, and hills are bumps. The rest are plains.