• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Does City Defense Really Matter Anymore?

mamboking053

There's always a bit of noise raised up when a new event building offers City Defense. It would seem that City Defense has become out-dated. I know that with regards to plunderers, unless you have dedicated significant resources to building a massive defense, conventional wisdom was to collect on time. Virgo Project was nerfed because those who did bother to build that defense would find it useless. And then Olympic Treasury came out, and I imagine those once impressive, but rare defenses are less practical.

But I'm not sure if it is an outdated element of the game, so I wanted to ask.

If so, is there a way to make city defense more useful or meaningful to game play than what it is now? Perhaps not simply stat increases, but what it does for the defender- or does to the attacker? I would say we let it fade and die a quiet death and resolve ourselves to considering this an attackers game, but if this stat remains something that can be placed on future event buildings and...gulp...GB's...than it seems like we should know why or what use is it giving to the player.

Edit: I suppose there is a situational window I did not consider. For new players it could provide some defense against constant plunderers. It would ultimately be a "beginners-stat" that you would ultimately evolve away from, so it does still have practical use in that it can at least reduce attacks on ones city. The worth, as always, is subjective.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I think @Agent327 has a good point. Since they've started addressing the lack of attack for the City Defense, it has the potential to actually be more effective than it's ever been.

Agent327

Problem has always been that no matter how big your defense bonus was, the attack of the defense units was so poor that they hardly scratched the atacking army. That started to change with the Terracotta Army. That was the first time that your defense started to get a chance. Now with attack boosts for the defense that chance is getting much higher. You can rely on your defense much more.

DeletedUser24719

It has always been of limited value. Want to make it better? Create an alarm mechanism so that when a hoodie is trying to plunder you can defend manually or autobattle in real time instead of seeing a little message that your defenses have been breeched after the battle is over hours ago! That was a stupid concept from day one

DeletedUser31499

Make Zeus, CoA, and CdM work just like the TA for your defensive army and that would rebalance the attack vs defense equation.

Algona

Good question, interesting topic, will ponder and respond later,

But I had to respond in support of this amazing idea:

defend manually

Aside from the minor problems of some folk not liking to fight or don't care if they get attacked, the defender having to be on, the notice interrupting anything (like mid keystroke donating a bunch of FPs?) the defender is doing, the defender having the time to fight, the attacker having to wait around for the defender to decide and respond, intentional delays mid combat, the problems with disconnects intentional or not, and INNO having to write a whole new combat interface...

Amazing no end.

DevaCat

Good question, interesting topic, will ponder and respond later,

But I had to respond in support of this amazing idea:

Aside from the minor problems of some folk not liking to fight or don't care if they get attacked, the defender having to be on, the notice interrupting anything (like mid keystroke donating a bunch of FPs?) the defender is doing, the defender having the time to fight, the attacker having to wait around for the defender to decide and respond, intentional delays mid combat, the problems with disconnects intentional or not, and INNO having to write a whole new combat interface...

Amazing no end.
Coming soon to a Proposal near you!
<hic!>

Agent327

Did city defense ever matter? I decided early on it didn't. I've never invested in it, I never will. I don't care if I'm attacked, I only care if I'm plundered. I rarely get attacked, almost never get plundered. Why would I waste space to protect me from something that almost never happens? There's no point.

It mattered to me. Did not like those players that attacked and plundered, so I grew and invested in defense. Now I plunder those that plundered me in the past. It is not wasting space. It is filling space you have anyhow and doing it in the right way it is no waste at all.

FENRIR NEFASTE

Spending 10000 fps in defense to be sure to don't loose 3fps by week. I'm not sûre it's a good idea. If you win points or something if your defense army win maybe i begin to build Deal castle.

Emberguard

It has always been of limited value. Want to make it better? Create an alarm mechanism so that when a hoodie is trying to plunder you can defend manually or autobattle in real time instead of seeing a little message that your defenses have been breeched after the battle is over hours ago! That was a stupid concept from day one
By the time you react to stop me I've already won and plundered with autobattle.

Emberguard

It mattered to me. Did not like those players that attacked and plundered, so I grew and invested in defense. Now I plunder those that plundered me in the past. It is not wasting space. It is filling space you have anyhow and doing it in the right way it is no waste at all.
Spending 10000 fps in defense to be sure to don't loose 3fps by week. I'm not sûre it's a good idea. If you win points or something if your defense army win maybe i begin to build Deal castle.
And that's just it. It'll matter to some people but not others. If I was getting plundered by more then one or two people at a time it might end up mattering to me enough to shift my focus onto designing a defence heavy city (or just for the fun of it). Currently I don't care for defence as I'm not getting plundered despite having all rogues in defence

There's also another aspect to consider. It's far cheaper for the entire hood to get herd immunity by putting up a good enough defence to wear out the troops of would-be attackers then it is for a single player to sufficiently increase defence to lock out all plunderers without anyone else wearing them down. The value of defence is dependant heavily on your neighbours. If they attack a lot then its worth investing in defence. If others invest in defence it helps strengthen your own efforts indirectly against anyone who doesn't have enough troops to waste on the entire neighbourhood.

Agent327

And that's just it. It'll matter to some people but not others. If I was getting plundered by more then one or two people at a time it might end up mattering to me enough to shift my focus onto designing a defence heavy city (or just for the fun of it). Currently I don't care for defence as I'm not getting plundered despite having all rogues in defence

There's also another aspect to consider. It's far cheaper for the entire hood to get herd immunity by putting up a good enough defence to wear out the troops of would-be attackers then it is for a single player to sufficiently increase defence to lock out all plunderers without anyone else wearing them down. The value of defence is dependant heavily on your neighbours. If they attack a lot then its worth investing in defence. If others invest in defence it helps strengthen your own efforts indirectly against anyone who doesn't have enough troops to waste on the entire neighbourhood.

It really isn't a big investment. You have to spend those fp's anyhow and with 1,9 support it is an easy job. Right now I am in a position that I am wondering what to do with all those fp's.

Agent327

Ok, how far are you intending to lvl?

So far Deal and St Basil on 81, Terra on 91, but I am at a point that it does not really matter anymore which GB I upgrade, so I might as well continue with these.

Inno is giving us more and more fp's. You have to spend them somewhere.

Graviton

All of the focus here so far has been on "victims". Won't someone think of the plunderer? :p It could be argued that players who plunder regularly are attacked more than anybody else, as many of their targets hit them back. I usually do, and I can tell you that probably half the time they have sufficient defense to repel my army, whether that's pure Attack/Defense ratings or that combined with troops of a higher age. Defense seems to matter to attackers as well; perhaps moreso.