• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Soccer Event 2020 Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatrikon

The tournament part was kind of dumb. Leveling up the players was utterly useless. As your team players level up, your chances of winning stay exactly the same, since you get pitted against stronger and stronger opponents. It's like inflation. If you double my salary, and the prices of everything I want to buy are also doubled, my buying power has stayed exactly the same. It would have been better if there was some reward for having leveled up the players. As it was, the cards were useless.

The hippodrome is a good building set, but I have no idea how I'm going to be able to fit it in my city. And because I didn't figure out that we're supposed to always play against the hard team, I wound up in the Amatuer League, and was not able to get all the upgrades. I figured performance in the Tournament would be based on number of wins - you know, like a tournament. Now I'm going to have to wait - what is it? Two years, before Hippodrome upgrade kits become available again? I'm still waiting for Crow's Nest upgrades.

I've got a huge supply of medals now, and I wish there were more victory expansions.

WildOdd

The tournament part was kind of dumb. Leveling up the players was utterly useless. As your team players level up, your chances of winning stay exactly the same, since you get pitted against stronger and stronger opponents. It's like inflation. If you double my salary, and the prices of everything I want to buy are also doubled, my buying power has stayed exactly the same. It would have been better if there was some reward for having leveled up the players. As it was, the cards were useless.
I believe the higher level your cards are, the more chance you have of getting a double reward in the training. That being said, I don't think it's significant enough that having high-level players will change your chances too much. I've said this before and I'll say it again: this event is more complicated than it needed to be: the tournament mechanic didn't really add anything useful, and I probably got one daily special out of it. It was just made everything more tedious.

Jern2017

For the most part, I enjoyed this event. I got a fully upgraded Hippodrome on my main world with one extra upgrade that I got from landing in the Silver league. I did spend some free Diamonds to get more Tracks, but even without spending them, I would've been able to fully upgrade the Hippodrome.

In my Diamond Farm world, I was disappointed that I spent about 5k Drinks when a WW appeared as a Daily Special, but did not get a single one. I had also hoped a WW Shrink Kit would appear as a Training Special. I did manage to win enough Fragments to win one WW and one Shrink Kit, plus a bunch of Medals.

Having two separate Tournaments and types of currency was interesting, but I don't think the Player Cards were needed.

Pariah Files

While I enjoy FOE a ton and since beginning (near 2 years now), I have secured a max rank event building during every event. I take my time and figure out the most efficient ways of spending resources and completing all quests. This time however, with maximum efficiency of energy drink use, actively hunting for incidents multiple times a day, and finishing every single quest there was still no way to achieve a max rank building without pouring diamonds into the event. (which I didn't have enough stockpiled and had to make a cash purchase) Not talking about placing in the top tier, I am simply talking about completing the event building. Made the purchase because I really wanted the chariots racing around my city and the combat bonuses only showed up for max rank on either side of the hippodrome. Between my experience, everyone in my guild, and all the stories I have read on the forums, this event was insulting to dedicated players. Do another money grab event like this and I am out, won't be the only one either. Be less greedy and do better please, if you have to plug money into a game to be successful it isn't a game, it's a bill.

Jern2017

While I enjoy FOE a ton and since beginning (near 2 years now), I have secured a max rank event building during every event. I take my time and figure out the most efficient ways of spending resources and completing all quests. This time however, with maximum efficiency of energy drink use, actively hunting for incidents multiple times a day, and finishing every single quest there was still no way to achieve a max rank building without pouring diamonds into the event. (which I didn't have enough stockpiled and had to make a cash purchase) Not talking about placing in the top tier, I am simply talking about completing the event building. Made the purchase because I really wanted the chariots racing around my city and the combat bonuses only showed up for max rank on either side of the hippodrome. Between my experience, everyone in my guild, and all the stories I have read on the forums, this event was insulting to dedicated players. Do another money grab event like this and I am out, won't be the only one either. Be less greedy and do better please, if you have to plug money into a game to be successful it isn't a game, it's a bill.

I understand your frustration, but there certainly was a way to get a fully upgraded building without spending Diamonds. I spent some and ended up in the Silver league when the event ended - I fully upgraded my Hippodrome and have one Selection Kit left that I got from the Silver league.

Salsuero

I understand your frustration, but there certainly was a way to get a fully upgraded building without spending Diamonds. I spent some and ended up in the Silver league when the event ended - I fully upgraded my Hippodrome and have one Selection Kit left that I got from the Silver league.

Luck. That was the way to do so without spending Diamonds. I also had to spend Diamonds to get a few more energy drinks to get one more upgrade and I wasn't in Silver because that entire game was nonsense. I lost multiple times even when I had an 80%+ chance of winning. Why would I think I had any shot at winning against the top opponent when I couldn't even beat an opponent with an 80%+ chance on my side? I lost MANY times against the middle opponent when I had the upper hand. So, to think anyone would intuitively spend their very limited chances on a lopsided victory prediction because the game was rigged that way doesn't make sense. And to think that's the mechanic they're going to use for the new PvP Arena?! LOL Not sure if maybe you just got lucky with your incidents giving you enough energy drinks, but the only way to get that last upgrade was to be in Silver+ or to have enough energy drinks, and for many of us -- Diamonds was how those final energy drinks were obtained. I'm not shaming Inno for trying to make money on an event. I understand both sides -- Inno wants to make money -- and players don't wanna spend it. Fair enough. But the tournament was garbage and I'm happy to shame them for that... especially considering they're now planning to bring that aspect of this event into the game as a permanent feature.

Last edited:

Nicholas002

Why would I think I had any shot at winning against the top opponent when I couldn't even beat an opponent with an 80%+ chance on my side? I lost MANY times against the middle opponent when I had the upper hand. So, to think anyone would intuitively spend their very limited chances on a lopsided chance because the game was rigged that way doesn't make sense.
I know it's unfair that INNO lied to us, and gave us bogus % chances on the matches. If you realized early enough that it was a 50/50 no matter what, it was not a problem to get in silver league with no diamonds. You just had to pick the hard match every time.

I played this event in 4 worlds. I got in silver league in all 4. In 3 of the worlds, I merely logged in every day and spent my 3 tickets on the hard match, not bothering with the quests.

qaccy

Luck. That was the way to do so without spending Diamonds.
Where did luck factor into it? That player only needed Bronze League to max theirs out, and there isn't really luck involved with crossing the field in Training which is where most of the upgrades come from.

Joeyjojojo

Where did luck factor into it? That player only needed Bronze League to max theirs out, and there isn't really luck involved with crossing the field in Training which is where most of the upgrades come from.
Bronze shouldn't have been an issue for any active player, and if you figured out the tournament* early then silver didn't require a lot of luck, just grinding (if you really figured it out**, then gold only took a little extra luck). The problem was that getting more player cards was actually counter-productive to doing well in the tournament, but it should be the opposite. That was why the event was bad, not because it wasn't possible (it did require some luck: you had to hit one of: enough drinks from incidents, enough tickets from incidents, figuring out the tournament early).

*figuring out the tournament = spending all your tickets so that the bar was never full and only doing the hard match.
**really figuring it out = not pushing the questline until the middle of the event so that your players were lower level when plowing through all the tournament tickets which gave a decided advantage based on the way Inno did the match up.

Maybe I was reaaaly extra lucky, but I don't think so. I think it was just that the tournament side was very poorly implemented.

Graviton

Where did luck factor into it? That player only needed Bronze League to max theirs out...

Gonna have to disagree with this. I made Bronze with no trouble but I'm still going to be two upgrades shy of having both ends maxed out. Used most efficient player for the yardage every time, didn't worry about daily specials. This is only the second Event since I've been playing that I didn't get a fully upgraded event building. The difference seems to be the tournament ranking, which means luck most certainly played a larger role than it usually does in events.

Nicholas002

if you are in Arvahall , feel free to take a peek at my long hippo and drop me a line ... I have a few spots for friends
Lol. I don't think I've ever seen all these GBs in the same city:
  • Colosseum
  • space needle
  • Notre Dame
  • Lotus Temple
  • Deal Castle
  • Voyager V1
  • Atomium
  • Oracle of Delphi
Dare to be different! :)

(btw my hippo has yours beat by 1 track;)) (not in Arvahall though, in zorskog)

Pariah Files

True, but luck most likely gave you your win, not your efforts or strategy. The point was that a new player with little experience stood essentially no chance of maxing the building without help from RNG, effort really didn't matter. That lack of a surefire way to get there means a lot of lower ranking players and players unwilling or unable to pay diamonds/money could not achieve max rank. FOE has been a game worth applauding for it's "everyone can succeed" approach to game play. An iron age player can generally get a max rank event building if they work hard enough at it during said event. Sadly this event design left way more players out in the cold than previous events, especially the previous soccer event. With player experience ranging under a month to well over 6 years, this wasn't a well produced event.

Agent327

True, but luck most likely gave you your win, not your efforts or strategy. The point was that a new player with little experience stood essentially no chance of maxing the building without help from RNG, effort really didn't matter. That lack of a surefire way to get there means a lot of lower ranking players and players unwilling or unable to pay diamonds/money could not achieve max rank. FOE has been a game worth applauding for it's "everyone can succeed" approach to game play. An iron age player can generally get a max rank event building if they work hard enough at it during said event. Sadly this event design left way more players out in the cold than previous events, especially the previous soccer event. With player experience ranging under a month to well over 6 years, this wasn't a well produced event.

Not true. Right strategy and picking the right players always gets you the max rank event building. Only getting extra tracks, or whatever else you wanted was luck.

qaccy

Gonna have to disagree with this. I made Bronze with no trouble but I'm still going to be two upgrades shy of having both ends maxed out. Used most efficient player for the yardage every time, didn't worry about daily specials. This is only the second Event since I've been playing that I didn't get a fully upgraded event building. The difference seems to be the tournament ranking, which means luck most certainly played a larger role than it usually does in events.

It's not me you should be disagreeing with, though
The person I was referring to is the one who said they made Silver, but didn't need the extra upgrade from it. Apparently, they were able to get enough upgrades from Training without spending diamonds at all. Might want to challenge them instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.