• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Just curious... the mindset behind Big Fish stopping Little Fish?

Honestly, I'm wondering. I know FoE is just a game, and this is a part of the game. What is going on in players' minds when you have a massive higher age city with 5 or 6 of a certain building set (COMPLETE with all the parts for every set), and you can't bear to let a little player who's nowhere near you have even one piece of the set from the Antiques Dealer? I've always heard that certain specialty buildings and sets lose their shine the higher you get in the Ages because higher age GBs and other things give bonuses that are so much better for the space they use. Is that true? And if so, what is that all about, then? Nostalgia or the sentiment that you just want it (nothing's wrong with that, BTW!)? The way it looks in your city (so pretty)? The need to simply have as many as you can to stack (straight competition)? That fun feeling of lording it over Little Fish and showing them who's boss with all your coins (straight ego)? Set pieces eventually come around multiple times, and I'm of the mindset "slow and steady wins the race," so it doesn't bother me any. I'm just really curious -- how do you see this as a player? Thanks in advance for your comments! (FYI -- I'm little fish in HMA, ready to cross over to LMA.)

Emberguard

If it’s a set piece then they’ll likely actually use it. Sets are valuable in bulk because you can increase the efficiency by using a custom layout.

RazorbackPirate

I can't say I'm the type of player you're describing, but when I'm bidding in the Antiques Dealer, I have no idea what type of player I'm bidding against. If I'm bidding on something I want, I'll bid the item up to the maximum price I'm willing to pay for it, then drop out if they go higher. Through persistence, I've won quite a few auctions, most at prices far less than I'd ultimately be willing to pay.

I also know that for some items, for some players, there is no price they won't pay. They'll bid an item to the stratosphere if its something they want. In particular, anything that gives an Attack boost to their attacking army. Such is the nature of the beast. They've got an inventory chock full of items to sell, and price is no object. Kind of like in a real life auction. There's always someone with more money than you who's willing to spend more.

It's not a big fish little fish thing, it's just that big fish have more to spend. While I'm sure there's ego at play to win an auction for an item they want, I doubt 'stomping on the little fish' is a part of it. They want an item same as you, and they have the means and motivation to pay more than you. Simple as that.

Robbenn

As you said, FOE is a game. Some people are more competitive than others. That being said, I don't think anyone uses resources to stack items they don't need just so that the "Little Fish" can't have it. Most often they have a use for it, or at least they plan to. Doesn't matter if they take it from a small fish, or a big fish, in the end, it helps them advance, and that's all that matters (for some people).

RazorbackPirate said:
I also know that for some items, for some players, there is no price they won't pay. They'll bid an item to the stratosphere if its something they want.

Ain't that the truth. When I saw someone bid 100,000 coins on a ship selection kit, I almost passed out!

Last edited:

Agent327

Ain't that the truth. When I saw someone bid 100,000 coins on a ship selection kit, I almost passed out!

If you have it, why shouldn't you bid it?

If you look at a building like the Cider Mill you will see it has gotten upgrades during new events after it's introduction. What better than to already have the upgrades before the event starts than having to chase them during the event? If you can afford it why not?

If you have it, why shouldn't you bid it?

If you look at a building like the Cider Mill you will see it has gotten upgrades during new events after it's introduction. What better than to already have the upgrades before the event starts than having to chase them during the event? If you can afford it why not?

True.

Agent327

Also when I am bidding against someone, most of the time I see a name that I have never seen before. I don't know if it is a big or a little fish and in the 30 secs I have, I have no intention of looking up the other person. My goal is to outbid you and I have no idea what your max offer can be.

Plain Red Justice

It's a legit strat for when you already have everything. You just can't risk someone getting stronger by letting the player successfully buy an attack building when you have the means to block it. It has a peanut effect at best when you do it alone but when a lot of people in your guild are doing it, its effects are visible

Ericness

When I bid on something all I know is that 1) I want it and 2) what price I'm willing to pay. That price can be anywhere from the opening value + 1 to breaking the bank depending on what the item is and how much I need it. I'd imagine the number of players maliciously looking to block "small fish" for that reason alone is incredibly small if any do at all. Besides, sometimes knowing someone had to spend stupid coin on an item I can get more cheaply in a few days can be rewarding in its own right.

qaccy

If I want something from the auction, I'm bidding on it. Not very much I actually want, though. Used to be the Magnum Opus (got up to 16 of them), but now it's exclusively Art Exhibition kits. Everything else is a pass, including things like SoK upgrades, attack boost buildings, and even the new addition of Crow's Nest kits.

The thing that usually stops me from winning an item I'm interested in is forgetting to come back at the end of the auction to keep bidding. :p