• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Sniping Progress

-Sebastian-

Yes.

Sorry but I’m not going to keep track of who’s on my friends list currently and who has ever been in my guild at some point in time. If I have to avoid 140 friends + 80 guild members in my neighbourhood and they also each have 140 friends then you would need (140 x 140) + (80 x 140) = 30,800 contribution spots / 5 = 6,160 unique GBs or unique players with no overlap.

It’s just an unrealistic expectation to never be competing for the same spots outside of your actual guild

Yeah, I don't go by the game definition of "friend". If I recognize the name and know them and like them, I might avoid a snipe, or maybe even let them know that they need to make themselves safe. But it's all about how I feel at the moment.

Graviton

I snipe. I accept it as a fun part of the game but would you flip a GB to snipe? A hoodie flipped a GB of mine and had the nerve to say I didn't prep it correctly for her sniping so it was flipped due my fault.

She's kinda right about that. You should have no expectations of hoodies, they are under no obligation to you.

If they had apologized I wouldn't be upset but you know what if you flip a GB of mine on purpose I will make sure to flip all your GBs with rewards. It's a game after all lol :)

There ya go!

-Sebastian-

You are right they are under no obligation. But I like a little courtesy that's just me. :)

I agree that it was nervy to say that you didn't prep it correctly for a snipe. That seems like a very self-centered way of putting it.

But personally, I don't usually hold off on a snipe if it meant flipping the GB. I don't go out of my way to do it. And occasionally I'm nice and take a lower spot, or let the GB owner know. But mostly, it is what it is. *shrug* And sometimes a snipe that flips can save the owner more FP than they lose from the double-dip.

Ericness

I snipe. I accept it as a fun part of the game but would you flip a GB to snipe? A hoodie flipped a GB of mine and had the nerve to say I didn't prep it correctly for her sniping so it was flipped due my fault.

I'd be more annoyed by the message than the snipe/flip. They're not wrong mind you, but spare me the self-righteousness. Also, they profit more by just locking in a spot compared to flipping, so I'm not sure why they'd do that out of nowhere. In my opinion, they just hung a massive target on their back for retaliation.

Vger

I snipe. I accept it as a fun part of the game but would you flip a GB to snipe?
Yes.

A hoodie flipped a GB of mine and had
the nerve to say I didn't prep it correctly for her sniping so it was flipped due my fault.
It think there is something missing from this story. Did your hoodie flip your GB, then immediately DM you about prepping it wrong?
Or did you say something first? When I snipe, I never tell the owner what they did wrong, unless they ask or complain or demand 1.9.

...the nerve to say I didn't prep it correctly for her sniping
Is that what she really said? Or are you paraphrasing?
Sounds to me like you did prep it correctly. For her. If she was able to snipe it, then you didn't prep it correctly for your own needs. But why would a sniper care about your needs???

If they had apologized I wouldn't be upset...
What exactly is there to apologize for? Playing the game?

...you know what if you flip a GB of mine on purpose I will make sure to flip all your GBs with rewards. It's a game after all lol :)
Exactly. And don't stop with revenge flipping, attack and plunder too if you can. It's a game after all lol :)

Vger

Also, they profit more by just locking in a spot compared to flipping, so I'm not sure why they'd do that out of nowhere.
We don't know that it was out of nowhere. Might have happened for a number of reasons:
  • Only way to take the spot was to level it. Somebody else tried to lock the spot, but didn't get rounding and left you no choice.
  • The profit margin is so large, that 1 extra FP for an instant return is worth it.
  • You leave your GB 1 FP away from leveling for, like...days.
  • You plundered them daily, in your early days. You forgot you did that, but they didn't.
  • Because you can. (OK, I guess that's the one 'out of nowhere' reason).

DevaCat

We don't know that it was out of nowhere. Might have happened for a number of reasons:
  • Only way to take the spot was to level it. Somebody else tried to lock the spot, but didn't get rounding and left you no choice.
  • The profit margin is so large, that 1 extra FP for an instant return is worth it.
  • You leave your GB 1 FP away from leveling for, like...days.
  • You plundered them daily, in your early days. You forgot you did that, but they didn't.
  • Because you can. (OK, I guess that's the one 'out of nowhere' reason).
I like number 3 and 4.:)

Vger

One gb they added 18 fps more to take a spot which would level the gb.
Did they still make an FP profit? If so, can you really fault them for that?
If they didn't make an FP profit, maybe they were after the BPs (or, gasp...even the medals). Can you really fault them for that?

I prepped the other it so it was 1 fp away from leveling the next morning soI could double dip if someone wanted that spot that only had medals and a print I would have let them have it afterwards.
You prepped a spot with a BP so there was only 1 FP left and left it over night? Your hoodie was right: You didn't prep it correctly.

Vger

lol your response has the same snarky tone as their response as if leveling is within their right in order to snipe.
Isn't it within their right? Can you show me a game rule that says otherwise?

I say no I only level for revenge.
And you assume others should follow your made up rules? Why?

I guess I respect people's collection time more than sniping but that's ok I am just a nicer sniper lol
You are free to create any artificial rules you want for this game, and to live by them. Just don't get all whiny when others don't play by your rules.
INNO makes the rules. It's fair to complain if someone breaks one of INNO's rules.

Nicholas002

I can complain and whine all I want. There are no rules against it, We may not follow the same rules but if you feel it is within your right to level a persons gb and then you should get used to people annoying you with their whining and complaining because they aren't exactly happy with what happened.
Congrats! You are the first person I have ever heard who is proud of being a whiner!

most people try to surpress their inner whiner. You embrace him. Well done!

Vger

I have an idea of what sniping is, but what is it?
sniping: the act of bidding on an item on ebay literally seconds before the auction ends. This prevents anyone from outbidding you while also ensuring that you don't bump the price up too much.

For some odd reason, the FOE community co-opted the word to mean locking (or at least investing in) a spot on someone else's GB. The "snipe" often times, but not always, means that someone else with FPs on the GB, or the GB owner end up "upside down".

I've never liked the term. This isn't ebay, and there is no clock running for GB contributions. If you lock a spot on a GB, then you just ended the auction for that spot. Time has nothing to do with it.

Silly word to use here, but it sounds sort of evil thanks to ebay. I suppose that's why it stuck.

Nushka1

I still don't get it. If I want to put my fp's on someones GB, and the top slot has some on it already, I'm not supposed to put more than that person so I can have the top slot? I don't care who puts fp's on my GB's, I'm just happy they get leveled. How does this get turned into a 12 page discussion? I guess what I'm asking is why does anyone get mad about fp's being put on someones GB?