• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Winter Event 2020 Feedback

Tytan the Great

After all the complaints from Beta about the inability to chain the bakeries like how they were shown in the preview, I was hoping it will get changed in live. Keep hoping I guess? Now we will have to figure out how to arrange 3 mediocre buildings in a triangular manner to get their max benefits. Merry Christmas everyone.

Emberguard

Can 2 of the same building still get the boost?
It functions the same as any other set with one major difference: Only fully lvl'd buildings count as part of the set. You can have 2 of the same building, but both will need to be touching enough unique neighbors to get the full boost. So if you have two Macaron Bakery for example, both will need to be touching two additional Bakeries to get the full benefit

-Chen-

It functions the same as any other set with one major difference: Only fully lvl'd buildings count as part of the set. You can have 2 of the same building, but both will need to be touching enough unique neighbors to get the full boost. So if you have two Macaron Bakery for example, both will need to be touching two additional Bakeries to get the full benefit
Not trying to be a wise guy here, just honestly curious about your opinion, since (unlike some others) I respect it.

Don't you find it a bit odd that you can't make row houses into row houses? And doesn't it seem to be unnecessary and a bit over the top to force people to use a huge footprint with such an irregular shape, that doesn't even tie the buildings together in a way that looks right, in order to get the bonuses? I mean, a person can't help but wonder what the thought process/motivation is that goes into that, especially when, as someone pointed out above, it was such a point of contention in Beta.
If it wasn't the intent to just get people to use the maximum amount of space with an irregular shape, then the execution was horrible, and at best, the design of the buildings makes no sense. If that indeed is the intent....well, that's a whole other can of worms that I won't even open.

I would just get one and call it a day, but I know I'm going to end up with at least two, just from trying to put together a decent winter train, and going after some of the other daily specials. And yes, I'm one of those people who gets really bothered by things that don't look right :)
Unless, of course, the rewards are so good that I'm willing to tolerate it, like with the Hippos, but that's clearly not the case here.

Agent327

Don't you find it a bit odd that you can't make row houses into row houses?

You can make them into row houses. You just need to accept a lower percentage. Way I see it, I will opt for Marzipan-Gingerbread-Macaron. That will be 17 fp and the attack I want for 9x4. That's not to bad.

Emberguard

Don't you find it a bit odd that you can't make row houses into row houses?
Yes and no. If you stop at 3 houses then it'll be a weird shape. If you do two rows with the second row offset by a single square then you have your row housing with every house getting the full bonus.

Row_Housing.png

On a aesthetics basis depending on how far you want to take the row housing effect this may very well be a multiple season endeavor with Antiques Dealer thrown in there further down the line. If you don't want to wait that long then look at what other buildings you have that would look like they belong next to the row housing. I haven't looked at what I could put there in the absence of additional bakery housing, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to fit the actual shape into a city if you've already got some ?x5-7 buildings in a double row and aren't too fussy about looks. Crows Nest, Abandoned Asylum and Black Tower come to mind as being ?x5 sized buildings. Might look nice next to Chateau Fronteau if I can get it to fit

Last edited:

-Chen-

Yes and no. If you stop at 3 houses then it'll be a weird shape. If you do two rows with the second row offset by a single square then you have your row housing with every house getting the full bonus.

Row_Housing.png

On a aesthetics basis depending on how far you want to take the row housing effect this may very well be a multiple season endeavor with Antiques Dealer thrown in there further down the line. If you don't want to wait that long then look at what other buildings you have that would look like they belong next to the row housing. I haven't looked at what I could put there in the absence of additional bakery housing, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to fit the actual shape into a city if you've already got some ?x5-7 buildings in a double row and aren't too fussy about looks. Crows Nest, Abandoned Asylum and Black Tower come to mind as being ?x5 sized buildings. Might look nice next to Chateau Fronteau if I can get it to fit
Appreciate the detailed reply!
The way you picture it actually does look very cool, unfortunately, even though I've recently been able to start getting rid of all but a few goods buildings, I still don't have the free space to pull that one off. I could make three work right now (though not with that irregular arrangement,) but even that might be pushing it, since I'm looking to age up to Modern after the event's over, and it would mess with my plans for how to fit in those new buildings, and another GB that I want to build.

Oh well, we'll see how many I end up with first, and then how much rearranging I think they're worth. The priority for me is the Winter Train anyway, since I wasn't here for last years winter event, and I already have the spot for that and a few dining cars thought out.

Emberguard

The priority for me is the Winter Train anyway, since I wasn't here for last years winter event, and I already have the spot for that and a few dining cars thought out.
That's a pretty good idea. It was recently added to the Antiques Dealer Auction so if you can snag a few selection kits in the Antiques Dealer that'll reduce the amount you need to complete it in the Winter Event.

-Chen-

That's a pretty good idea. It was recently added to the Antiques Dealer Auction so if you can snag a few selection kits in the Antiques Dealer that'll reduce the amount you need to complete it in the Winter Event.
Yea, I remember reading about that being available in the AD now, though I've yet to see it myself, I'm curious to see what it will go for.

Agent327

Yea, I remember reading about that being available in the AD now, though I've yet to see it myself, I'm curious to see what it will go for.

That will really depend on what players want to offer. I got a cart for 10.000.