• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Radical Transformation

RazorbackPirate

A few days ago, this was my city. The last new thing I added was the Celtic Forest Set, Hanami Bridge, and Airship, just before leaving LMA for CA. After spending way too long in CA, I just moved to Indy. The bump out south of AO is the new expansions earned from the age..

Before Cropped.jpg

In that time, I've continued to play Events, and continued to earn the max event buildings from them. In that time, in many of those events, I've also earned a maxed out second of the previous year's building. RL, lack of interest, and remodeling my city being a pain, I got all the new stuff, but never added any of it to my city. Until now.

The event buildings from these events have been met with mixed reviews, often being compared to pie in the sky scenarios of, "You could fill that same space with 72 Lvl 2 Sentinels and get...instead." Okay, whatever. Maybe I could, but I don't want that city. As a FTP player, this is what I've earned for free, the buildings I have to choose from, and how I choose to build my city.
I build my city as a mix between efficiency and aesthetics. I may have more efficient buildings in inventory to fill a particular footprint, but aesthetically, I may not like the look of that thing in that place. So something less efficient fills the spot. To me, some things just look better. For instance, I could have a city with row after row of Carousels. Sure they're great for fighters, but I don't want a city with row after row of anything. A couple three of anything and I'm good.

I also build my city with a mix between passive and active income. Passive income is what I make collecting and spending FPs. Active income is income gained from added time doing other things. Things like spinning RQs while collecting and donating FPs to GBs, or the additional time spent completing the Daily Challenge, completing 4 levels of GE each week, or earning rewards from GBG.

FP producing buildings, passive income, income gained every day just collecting. Anything that increases fighting or negotiating capacity, active income. I don't get a thing from it unless I spend the time it takes to fight or negotiate. When it comes to fighting and negotiating, I build my city to do both. Between RQs and Special Buildings I produce goods in abundance, while I also work to increase my fighting boosts.

A good example of this is my choice of train cars. I could have chosen to add all Sleeping (FPs/passive income,) or all Dining (Attack Boost/active income,) but I split them right down the middle. 1/2 Dining, 1/2 Sleeping. More passive income just showing up to collect, more attack boost to earn additional active income when I have the time to spend earning it.
I'm not looking for a critique, of my city, I'm here to share data. It's a rare thing to see 9 months of event buildings put down all at once. I thought it would be interesting to share the stats from before and after, especially in light of discussions about chain buildings, the size of recent event buildings, whatever. Cold hard data to help you reach your own conclusions.

How radical a redesign we taking about? This radical. Below is the new road network with all the carry over buildings. All the empty space will be filled with new event buildings. I know exactly where each new building will go, what I don't know as I write this paragraph is the net effect these changes will have on my city. I'm sure it will be positive, the data will show how much.

Recon Mode Cropped.jpg

Let's start with the stats of the first image, BEFORE. In the data, I won't get caught up in the details of each building, or track coins and supplies. What I will be tracking is FPs, Goods, and Boosts.

FPs - 446 per day.
Goods - 543 per day.
Coin Boost - 433%
Supply Boost - 135%
Attacking Army Boost - 412 / 251
Defending Army Boost - 42/175 (obviously I don't focus here.)

What got removed?
  • 1 - Celtic Forest Set - Lvl 2
  • 1 - Airship - Lvl 11
  • 1 - Sleigh Builder
  • 4 - Pillars of Heroes - Lvl 7
  • 1 - Obelisk Garden
  • 5 - Sunken Treasures
  • 2 - Flourishing Cider Mills
  • 1 - Piazza Set - Lvl 2
  • 1 - Tholos of Idols - Lvl 10
  • 1 - Winter Spire - Lvl 12
  • 1 - Colorful Mill of Fall
  • 2 - Grand Bridges - Lvl 7
  • 5 - Watchfires - Lvl 2
  • 1 - Little Wishing Well
  • 2 - Rogue Hideouts
  • 2 - Carousels and,
  • 1 - Haunted Tower
  • 12 - SoKs
Lots can be said about the choices I made, or why something was there in the first place. Bottom line, that's what was there and what needed to go to make room for all the new stuff I wanted to put down. Not much thought beyond that. I needed a certain amount of room for the new stuff I wanted to add, what got removed is what didn't make the cut.
Here is what I added.

What's new?
  • 1 - Governor's Villa - Lvl 9
  • 1 - Crow's Nest - Lvl 8
  • 1- Pirate Ship
  • 5 - Harvest Fields - all at full activation
    • 1 - Autumn Scarecrow
    • 1 - Begonia Bench
    • 1 - Sunflower Patch
    • 2 - Wheat Fields
  • 1 - Appleton Cottage
  • 1 - Hippodrome
    • 1 - Hippodrome Sphendome - Lvl 6
    • 1 - Hippodrome Carceres - Lvl 6
    • 6- Rousioi Track
    • 5 - Ventoi Track
  • 3 - Roads to Victory - This is a high as I could get with the fragments I had. Incentive to do more GBG.
    • 3 - Lvl 5
    • 2 - Lvl 1
  • 1 - Cherry Garden - Lvl 2
    • In addition to adding a 3rd garden, I replaced all the Nishigikoi Ponds with Lvl 2 Sakura Rocks. I lose one activation and a few FPs from the Gongs of Wisdom, but all the extra rocks get fully activated, so I get a bunch more attack boost in return.
  • 1 - Abandoned Asylum - Lvl 9
  • 1 - Charcoal Express
    • 6 - Dining Car
    • 6 - Sleeping Car
    • 1 - Freight Car
  • 1 - Terracotta Vineyard - Lvl 2
    • 3 - Cypress Passes
    • 3 - Lavender Lawns
    • 3 - Olive Groves
  • 1 - Olympic Treasury - Lvl 10
  • 1 - Magnum Opus
  • 1 - Checkmate Square
  • 7 - Sentinel Outpost - Lvl 2 and
  • Unleashed the Kraken!
Again, much can be said about the specifics of what I chose, but to do so is to miss the point. The point is to see the effect of 9 months worth of event buildings in the growth of a city. The only thought I put into the remodel was to include as many of the new event buildings as I could. I worked hard to get it, I want to place it. That's it.

After Cropped.jpg

A couple of things before I get to the stats. I was able to attach 5 GBs to City Hall using just 2 tiles of roadway. A little trick from a CR post years ago. I also took advantage of the Chain buildings as much as I could by putting most of them on the edge of the map. I then treated the length of the chain as a new edge of map. I was able to power both Trains with just a single tile each, the Vineyard with two. One end of the Hippodrome touches a single road tile, while the other end touches four tiles.

In my defense, those 4 tiles would be there anyway. I could have made the track shorter to make the point of a single tile, but as it is, I could have made the track much longer than I did, had I more length to my city.

With that out of the way, drum roll please.
Not quite yet.

If you spy the first picture closely, you'll see that I had just removed the Indy production buildings after harvesting the diamonds from the RQs and I still had a ton of Blacksmiths for the event. Now that I've grabbed the diamonds and the event is about over, it's time to execute the plan. Since none of the smiths will carry over to the new design, I deleted them and counted the number of free tiles I had to fill. This is what it looked like with the empty tiles visible.

Cleared Cropped.jpg

Deleting all the temp production, the smiths, and the roads needed to support them, gave me 149 tiles, or 9 full expansions + 4 tile. RC mode said the new design would also free up 33 additional tiles of roadway, or another 2 full expansions + 1 tile. Between deleting the junk and efficient design, I had a total of 180 free tiles, or 11 full expansions + 5 tiles that got completely filled with new buildings. That's on top of the number of tiles of existing buildings that got replaced. Outstanding.

FPs - 500 per day, a gain of 51 FPs. (a bit more if a Crow's Nest gives FPs)
Goods - 607 per day, a gain of 64 goods
Coin Boost - 460%, a gain of 27%
Supply Boost - 480%, a gain of 345% (wasn't trying, but I'll take it. More supplies for RQs)
Attacking Army Boost - 594/366, a gain of 182/115 (definitely noticeable on the battlefield)
Defending Army Boost - 50/108, a gain of 8 attack, a loss of 67 defense. (still no focus)
So, that's it. That's the numbers. Overall, a pretty significant gain with about 9 months of event buildings, all for free. A boost that often gets lost when buildings are added incrementally. I also think 11 full expansions filled without the needs for roads speak to the potential of chain buildings.

What do you think of the numbers?

Last edited:

Sniperdude1220

That’s really cool RP. There’s a billion ways to play this game , there’s no “ winner” so ultimately the way you build your city and what you put into it should be what makes you happy. Great to see how swapping buildings in and out makes such a huge difference . City re-designs are a royal ( guard post) pain and I think if it were more easily done more people would do exactly what you did , more often.

DeletedUser

City design is a favorite thing of mine and I am always tweaking my city. RP's city is very well balanced for attack and FP IMO

CaptainKirk1234

Wow! You city looks great! Do you mind if I ask what was your fp collection before you added the new buildings?
He says it is 446 fp here⬇️
Let's start with the stats of the first image, BEFORE. In the data, I won't get caught up in the details of each building, or track coins and supplies. What I will be tracking is FPs, Goods, and Boosts.

FPs - 446 per day.

Kranyar the Mysterious

Will you redesign my city for me Razor? ;)

Looks good. I like what you did.

I am up against the same thing, having just made the jump from Iron to Future. My city is now a hot mess between adding expansions and buildings I needed for my GBG season right after the jump, and I'm guessing it'll take me a few weeks to figure it out how to fix it. Plus I still have a lot more expansions coming from working the campaign map up to current this week. One of the most fun parts of the game to me!

RazorbackPirate

Will you redesign my city for me Razor? ;)

Looks good. I like what you did.

I am up against the same thing, having just made the jump from Iron to Future. My city is now a hot mess between adding expansions and buildings I needed for my GBG season right after the jump, and I'm guessing it'll take me a few weeks to figure it out how to fix it. Plus I still have a lot more expansions coming from working the campaign map up to current this week. One of the most fun parts of the game to me!
It took me forever to figure out how to get everything in I wanted. I have to say that for all the smack the chain buildings get, I filled the equivalent of 11 full expansions completely with buildings, no roads. I don't plan to stay that long in InA. My goal is 10k of each good, then move on.

Just An Observer

For city layout changes, I draw up a handmade piece of what looks like oversized squares graph paper. Small chess pieces and dominoes get laid down on the squares until I come up with an alignment I like. Then comes marking the squares with permanent ink for reference as I place new buildings.

Doing Feudal Japan early gave me an appreciation for city rearranging. Add to that my willingness to let special event buildings pile up in the inventory for later upgrades and use. That is how I built my city along with one huge surge of adding 6 GB's, which also took a lot of planning, FP's and Diamonds. These kinds of deals are so much fun since they are also infrequent.

Kudos to you Razor for your efforts :)

Manicato

Thank you for sharing your city! I like switching out event buildings as well. I store them and decide later if they are worthwhile keeping.

meh...its just a city, like every other city on every other server. It produces forge points and produces goods and has buildings and only means something to the one to whom it belongs...

Pericles the Lion

" A couple of things before I get to the stats. I was able to attach 5 GBs to City Hall using just 2 tiles of roadway. A little trick from a CR post years ago"

I cannot tell from the pic how you accomplished this. Can you provide some details? Thanks

UBERhelp1

" A couple of things before I get to the stats. I was able to attach 5 GBs to City Hall using just 2 tiles of roadway. A little trick from a CR post years ago"

I cannot tell from the pic how you accomplished this. Can you provide some details? Thanks
I tried to match the colors of the buildings. The TH is brown, and the roads are black.
9a0d35778844891.png

CherryButterfly

Thanks for sharing! I do like the tips on placing so many GBs with so few road tiles. That saves so much on road space vs. aligning them alongside roads on any sides. Good luck with your new town!