• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Archaeology Event 2021 Feedback

Zatrikon

I spent no diamonds in either of my two worlds.
I got a fully upgraded Ferris Wheel in both worlds.
I completed the calendar in both worlds.
I was not able to get a complete set of clay tablets in either world. I got several of each of the four common clay tablets in both worlds.
In one world, I found and completed three gold tablets, and one silver. Never even saw the other two silvers.
In the other world, I found one of the silvers, but was unable to complete it in time. Never saw the gold or the other two silvers.
If I want to, I could have a second Ferris Wheels in both worlds. One at level 1, and the other at level 3.

Lord Pest

Without diamonds I completed the Ferris wheel + 4 more selection kits. Completed both the calendar and the clay tablets for the historian award. The clay tablets were tricky I was missing 3 of them and today they pop up and I was able to complete their quest lines. The secret is setting a realistic goal and sticking to it.

honey55

Does anyone know how many diamonds it would likely cost to get 6 more upgrade kits and if this building is worth it.

Expletive Deleted

Overall I do love the archaeology event. I spent a lot of diamonds to secure a 2nd wheel because this prize is impressive enough for me to justify the effort.

The ability to flip the daily reward was great. It helped more in my farm towns than anywhere else, allowing me to split my time hunting wells rather than having to complete all of them in a single day.

I have 2 gripes with the event that don't amount to a lot but are there.
The first being how time consuming it is. Other events can be rushed a lot easier on days where the prize lines up for your wants. Making this a bit more tedious and very time consuming.
The second is that in most every other event, any action in the event-game moves you closer toward the grand prize / upgrades / selection kits for the new big ticket item. While also giving you a % chance at the daily prize.
Here each move has a chance at giving you one of these. And very rarely will it give you both from a single move.
I would suggest adding a % chance to get an idol from the pots you dig up and/or a chance to find scrolls in the dirt to kind of balance this. There isnt a lot that can be done about changing the time aspect this takes without changing the entirety of the play, so as long as the rewards for events like this are worth the time I will accept the extra needed effort on my end there.

As a side note, because the event surprise boxes seem to be becoming a permanent feature. I would greatly prefer if each one were named for their event. (Example Archaeology event surprise box, spring event surprise box, etc) It shouldn't be considered spoiling anything more than the displayed timer to the start date of the event is and would reduce confusion when you have multiple in inventory.

Just An Observer

Having completed the event, color me very satisfied! Sentinels/Level 2 kits, 2 Ferris Wheels and a Carousel came my way for Fighting buildings. Plenty of goodies for selling at the AD will let me pick up a Checkmate Square on auction eventually. Toss in the FP's, units and goods. As a side bonus, INNO set up the Gov Villa deal so I got all levels of it in my inventory too. Yes, it cost some Diamonds but today I got the 200% deal that paid off over 80K of them for $199.99, which sets me up nicely for the Next Great Event building I would love to get!

Aethelcatt VIII

As a relatively new player (about three months old in FOE years), I fumbled around and screwed up a lot in the beginning, anything from setting off dynamites in the middle of nowhere to mistakenly using the Ferris wheel selection kit in the mystery box from the Spring Event for the base model instead of for upgrading once I get the Level 1 from the quest line. But eventually I think I managed to get the hang of it and managed to make the best of my early mess. Since I had two wheels at Level 1, I figured I might as well just for the "bicycle," which of course ended up costing quite a few diamonds (close to 10K, I think). The upside of this, though, is that I bought the diamonds on the 33,000 for $79.99 deal, which means I still have enough diamonds left to pretend that I got them at 22,000 for $79.99 and didn't use any :p. And that 2 for 1 sale was the best deal on diamonds I had seen before, anyway.

For those diamonds and a lot of tedious hard work (like fighting that "very small army" about 500 times), I got myself a great wheel, a wonder wheel, an airship at Level 3, four wishing wells with the same number of shrinking kits (one of them I still can't find the space for in my crowded city), two royal marble gateways, two globe fountains, a carousel, a whole bunch of witch doctors, stranded boats and other, more conventional buildings, plus plenty of blueprints and forge points to help my great buildings along, and something like 15 drummers and 12 color guards, along with a few other military units. And along the way I also got to make some wonderful new friends (https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...new-friends-from-the-archaeology-event.41749/). So, all in all, a very happy camper here.

By the way, about the color guards and drummers, I have heard a lot of talks about them being totally useless beyond Iron Age, and I beg to differ. On the campaign map, when you attack a sector defended by a lot of artillery pieces and/or ranged units, they are great as decoys to let your cavalry swoop in unscathed and wipe out those menacing long-range fighters, since the AI just cannot resist taking a shot at them whenever it can. When it comes to taking one for the team, nobody does it better than the much-maligned color guards and drummers. So, I'm very thankful that I have so many of them sitting around in the barracks right now. :D

LoveNkind

I solved the problem of opening the Calendar box. I clicked on a golden Calendar gem, and it turned around and handed me a prize. So I went around and did all the rest of them. that is opening each day's gem. When done, my event box appeared and I clicked on it.

LoveNkind

The latest and greatest from the devs .............................upgrades are locked items in inventory and cannot be traded in at the Antique Dealer.

Someone please explain this new logic ? is there a time limit ? I am working on Abandoned Asylum in my city and depend on one being up for grabs at the A.D. ..... is this fair for a player that has only 8 upgrades and cannot find one where we are supposed to find one.

mystery box , excluding upgrades to A.D. and you cannot delete it from inventory ..... what do i do with it ? stare at it ?
Edward, I have seen Abandoned Asylum in Antiques Dealer, so you are okay.

CaptainKirk1234

After midnight today will you still be able to get the daily gem for today considering it is the last day of the event and it ends at 3:30AM?

RazorbackPirate

The latest and greatest from the devs .............................upgrades are locked items in inventory and cannot be traded in at the Antique Dealer.

Someone please explain this new logic ? is there a time limit ? I am working on Abandoned Asylum in my city and depend on one being up for grabs at the A.D. ..... is this fair for a player that has only 8 upgrades and cannot find one where we are supposed to find one.

mystery box , excluding upgrades to A.D. and you cannot delete it from inventory ..... what do i do with it ? stare at it ?
Unlock it. You can the sell it. There's the logic.

Zatrikon

Without diamonds I completed the Ferris wheel + 4 more selection kits. Completed both the calendar and the clay tablets for the historian award. The clay tablets were tricky I was missing 3 of them and today they pop up and I was able to complete their quest lines. The secret is setting a realistic goal and sticking to it.
I don't know what possible "realistic goal" you can set that will give you the complete set of clay tablets, considering that they drop randomly. If I get three Gold ones, and never even see two of the Silver ones, that had nothing to do with my goal. Likewise, it wasn't my goal to find 11 of Common Clay Tablet 3, and none of any of them on the second row.

Of course, the complete set only gets you more tools, so maybe it's not that big of a deal. But those additional tools would have gotten me a lot other prizes.

I also wound up with a lot of gem shards that I didn't need. There was nothing to do with them at the end of the game.

I should also mention that I really appreciated the ability to switch the daily special.

Lord Pest

I don't know what possible "realistic goal" you can set that will give you the complete set of clay tablets, considering that they drop randomly. If I get three Gold ones, and never even see two of the Silver ones, that had nothing to do with my goal. Likewise, it wasn't my goal to find 11 of Common Clay Tablet 3, and none of any of them on the second row.

Of course, the complete set only gets you more tools, so maybe it's not that big of a deal. But those additional tools would have gotten me a lot other prizes.

I also wound up with a lot of gem shards that I didn't need. There was nothing to do with them at the end of the game.

I should also mention that I really appreciated the ability to switch the daily special.
of course there is no realistic goal that can get you the clay tablets or even find even 1 gold idol as they are random.