• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Has the black tower really fallen from grace to this extent?

Aethelcatt VIII

I just dropped by the antique dealer and saw one on auction with absolutely nobody bidding on it at all, so I bought it at the base price--for fewer trade coins than what the antique dealer is willing to pay to buy it back! I mean, after all, it is still a pretty good producer even for its size, and if I ever get tired of it I'll just sell it to the antique dealer for a small profit plus a few gemstones.

Aethelcatt VIII

Welcome to power creep. Many "special" buildings from earlier in the game's evolution are no longer nearly as special as they were originally. Another example would be Shrines of Knowledge.
And here I am putting up those shrines like crazy... At this stage of the game, I'll pretty much take anything that produces forge points.

Ironrooster

I just put 2 black towers back in inventory and sold them. They were no longer the best use of the space. I also sell Shrine of Knowledge as I get them.

Johnny B. Goode

And here I am putting up those shrines like crazy... At this stage of the game, I'll pretty much take anything that produces forge points.
I put SoKs in my younger cities, but in my more advanced ones it's more efficient to use attack boost buildings and get FPs from GE/GBG and Daily Challenges. (Actually, it would probably be more efficient to do the same in my younger cities, but currently I am too casual a player to acquire the necessary attack boost buildings in those cities.)

Aethelcatt VIII

Sounds like I might as well just turn around and sell the black tower right back to antique dealer for a profit, albeit a rather tiny little one. LOL

Nah, I think I'll keep it for a while. I still have an oasis that I've been thinking about getting rid of, and probably a few other buildings that are no longer worth the space. Or I can just get rid of the farm or the Level-1 Suishun Mill (which never gets motivated, unlike its Level-9 big brother next door) and free up the space right away. Keep in mind that you are talking to a three-month-old (in FOE years), and for now the black tower still seems like a worthwhile new toy to me. :p

Aethelcatt VIII

Black Tower is bought for 6330 and sells at 6480. Profit is marginal, so why bid on it if you can not use it?
Well, we are here to play games, right? :)

Actually, I do want to build it for those three FPs a day. I can use all the FPs I can get my hands on right now.

Aethelcatt VIII

Here it is again on the antique dealer's shelf today:

Screenshot.jpg

Think anybody would buy it at that price when nobody else was willing to bid 6330 trade coins for it at the auction yesterday?

The Lady Redneck

There are so many special buildings from Events now, and always new ones coming out. Many of which gives better rewards than past favorites. Some like SoKs, are still of value in lower age cities. Even WWs and FoYs are great for diamond farms, but not for your main city. I suppose what is worth building is down to individual requirements. My problem is that I have an inventory full of parts of old favorites (especially those that give a military (A/D) boost for attacking armies). And I cannot decide which should be better going to the AD or which are still worth buying the upgrades for to finish them off and build them.

Biocloner

I bid on the Black Tower and also got it for the original asking price. I was going to sell it back to earn more gemstones but it was locked. So I put it in my city. I can always use more FPs. This was the second Black Tower that I had gotten from the auction and I was able to sell the first one back but not the second. Is there a limit to how many buildings you can buy on acution and then turn around and sell back?

Zatrikon

You get a good building and you gladly put it in your city. Time passes. Eventually, there are much better buildings to take up the same amount of space.

One I just noticed is the old Christmas Village set. Remember that one? The Toymaker's Booth, the Moose Meadow, Madame Fortuna's Tent, Candlemaker's Tent, Sugar Baker's Booth, Smorgasbord Feast, Halmbock. One of each is 26 spaces, more than a 5x5, and three of them need road connections. And all that gives 5 FPs, 10-13 goods, coins, supplies, happiness, medals.

These will be the next buildings I remove from my city. The only question is, do I just delete them, or use my Store Buildings and sell them in the AD?

Kranyar the Mysterious

You get a good building and you gladly put it in your city. Time passes. Eventually, there are much better buildings to take up the same amount of space.

One I just noticed is the old Christmas Village set. Remember that one? The Toymaker's Booth, the Moose Meadow, Madame Fortuna's Tent, Candlemaker's Tent, Sugar Baker's Booth, Smorgasbord Feast, Halmbock. One of each is 26 spaces, more than a 5x5, and three of them need road connections. And all that gives 5 FPs, 10-13 goods, coins, supplies, happiness, medals.

These will be the next buildings I remove from my city. The only question is, do I just delete them, or use my Store Buildings and sell them in the AD?
Guess you need to ask yourself 1) do you have more Store Buildings than you see yourself using, and 2) which is worth more in the AD, the Store Building or the Christmas set piece.