• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Thematic City Arrangement - Do you do it?

Zatrikon

Do you pay attention to the thematics of the buildings in your city as to where you place them? I do. There's no practical game-reason to do this, but for some reason, I do it anyway.

I figure people don't want to live next door to Alcatraz, so I keep my Residential building away from it. Likewise, people don't want to live next to the Abandoned Asylum or the Dark Doorway, or other Halloween buildings.

I keep sports-related buildings and decorations together. I put the Magnum Opus in front of something that would make a good painting. And I'll often keep Christmas buildings together as well.

The Lady Redneck

Am with EA. I have 3 cities. In my main world my focus is military strength. So I choose buildings accordingly and place them so I can keep my city as efficient as possible with what I have at the moment. I have no goods or supply buildings so do not need residential ones. I also have a young diamond farm I am creating in an another world. Again no need for goods supplies or residential. On Beta on the other hand my city is a kind of build what I fancy free expression kind of place. And no Deco's and as few roads as possible in any city.

Zatrikon

So, so far, I guess the answer is no. I'm the only one who pays attention to these things.

I am not looking for advice on how to efficiently arrange my city. I already know how to do that.

I just figure that the Governor's Villa shouldn't be next to Alcatraz, because the governor doesn't want to live next to the prison. I put things next to the Habitat that people like to have nearby, like the Ferris Wheel, race track, I've got a 4x4 space near the Piazza, what better to put there than the Art Exhibition?

UBERhelp1

I'm trying to set up thematic layouts in RC mode for when I rearrange stuff. I think it looks better. I'm getting to the point where I actually don't care too much about how efficient my city is. I don't want to increase my attack super far because then I'll be stuck spending forever fighting.

As much as I love pushing efficiency and the best possible strategies, for me that begins to take the fun out of the game. Sure, I can fill my city with the same building and become the most powerful fighter, but where's the fun in just monotony? For me, that's how I get burned out and lose interest in a game.

The Lady Redneck

but where's the fun in just monotony? For me, that's how I get burned out and lose interest in a game.
Which is why I still have 3 cities (I used to have a lot more). I did intend getting down to 1 only. Then decided no I need variety. So 2 are organized (friends might disagree LOL) but different. And one is a joyful mess. I do like the idea of a thematic city and might get round to that on Beta one day.

I just figure that the Governor's Villa shouldn't be next to Alcatraz, because the governor doesn't want to live next to the prison. I put things next to the Habitat that people like to have nearby, like the Ferris Wheel, race track, I've got a 4x4 space near the Piazza, what better to put there than the Art Exhibition?
As the Alcatraz prisoners execution days approach, they are comforted by the knowledge that the Governor is located so close by and may step in on their behalf.

Space Age Marz

If you're able to fit it nicely with the least amount of roads and open space yes but most of the time themes can subtract from the overall usefulness of your city. Unless you have more space than buildings.

I did have my carousels with my great wheel for a while and my Arc with my CF, Druid Temple, Celtic set, Hanami Bridge, and Suishin Mills for an overrun forrest/Japanese look. Now i have all 3 eagle mountains together. TA in front of HC and Shinto nearby is pretty cool too. I think when I get up in ages ill do more themes and aesthetically pleasing layouts

Last edited:
You’re not the only one! I put off building a Truce Tower for a year because it clashed with my garden/farm theme. I hide the House of Horrors as best I can - too scary! I also try to hide Tactician’s Towers and spread them around because the roofs look ugly all bunched up. I keep several Rogue Hideouts because I like the tree.

Besides that, I want my town to be hard to size up so that plunderers will attack. Such a pity for them when they do…

Last edited:

Mickey71

Do you pay attention to the thematics of the buildings in your city as to where you place them? I do. There's no practical game-reason to do this, but for some reason, I do it anyway.

I figure people don't want to live next door to Alcatraz, so I keep my Residential building away from it. Likewise, people don't want to live next to the Abandoned Asylum or the Dark Doorway, or other Halloween buildings.

I keep sports-related buildings and decorations together. I put the Magnum Opus in front of something that would make a good painting. And I'll often keep Christmas buildings together as well.
I tend to map out my city similarly....and as time goes it gets muddled again....lol. Then I try taking some time (long overdue now) to re-map it again. So I do know your pain a bit. Ultimately I'll go with what I need more, but yes I like to have it mapped for more sense if I can too. You're not alone

Hadriani

I try to plan my city based on the most efficient use of space and roads, and that is pretty much it. I have a Wonder Wheel right across the road from 2 Asylums.

Dominator - X

figure people don't want to live next door to Alcatraz, so I keep my Residential building away from it. Likewise, people don't want to live next to the Abandoned Asylum or the Dark Doorway, or other Halloween buildings.
You... do realize... the "people" in FOE are not real, correct? :):cool::p

texanwolf999

My main city is more or less effecient. There are soem suboptimal choices here an there, but most of teh buildings are there to suit my playstyle
My second city was made with the main goal of being self suffiecent while playable. pretty relaxed experience