• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Tomorrow Era is way too futuristic

Ceres

So, it's supposed to take place from 2030 - 2060 as just like CE it is 100 years after the age 3 ages before it.

But the thing that's stupid about it is the Laser guns, Tanks that go invisible, Fusion Power, etc.

None of these things will exist by that time in the real world, they are too advanced for that time slot! The Anti Material Sniper troop uses a Laser gun in the game when you use it, even though the tech to unlock them is called "Armor-Piercing SHELLS" and last I check, Laser Guns don't use bullets...

Then you have the Hologram Arena building which looks too advanced for even the Tomorrow Era itself...

Fusion Power is far too optimistic and ambitious for the near future- It will never be mainstream in a scenario 30 years in the future.

The only way any of these things will be even slightly feasible 30 years in the future is if every single researcher and scientist starts a company and researches technologies for 24 hours straight with no sleep or breaks, and I don't think that's going to happen... Actually, add another 100 years to that for Tanks that go invisible LOL.

Don't even get me started on Future Era... The stuff in that Age is basically fantasy, but at least that has the excuse of being further in the future, unlike the Tomorrow Era which is always stated as "THE NEAR FUTURE" by Innogames.

Algona

But the thing that's stupid about it is the Laser guns, Tanks that go invisible, Fusion Power, etc.

All the mistakes, the anachronisms, the artificial limits built into the game and Lasers, Stealth, and Fusion have you stumped?

Fusion power was first predicted in the early 1950s, always just around the corner on;y 20 years in the future. It's been that way ever since. I'll touch on this again.

Stealth Tanks? Nah. I mean, why do it? LGPM can do all that an MBT can do from further range more accurately. Or Project Thor was first discussed over 40 years ago.. Or buy 10k personal drones, equip with explosives, and have them swarm an armored division. But we do have radar stealth now. Radar is an electromagnetic wave same as visual light just different frequencies. Who knows?

We got lasers and particle beam weapons now. Will they scale down to portable in 30 years? Prolly not. Prolly should note a smart phone can do more processing with 1/10,000th power then a mainframe could 30 years ago.

1991 we didn't have smart phones, electric self driving cars, tourists going into space, personal drones, flat screen TVs, the intarweb thingie dominating life.

Seems kinda silly to worry about whether or not a game designer got the exact right techs and toys for 30 years from now.

Assuming we haven't eradicated ourselves or been swatted by a dinosaur killer 2050 will be full of a lot of cool stuff that would surprise us today.

I'm an optimist at heart. While the evidence for intelligent life in Washington DC is lacking over my life time (1959 onwards) there is a lot of evidence elsewhere in this country and the world that there are some people doing some real thinking.

Everyone with a smart phone has access to almost everything known to humanity. Folk will learn to use that eventually unleashing new discoveries, physical, mental, social.

While govt's seem to not be taking space seriously, some rich folk are finally taking notice. I wonder how many read Heinlein growing up? Could be a waste of time, could be unlimited treasure beyond our current horizons I suspect the same was said about the New World in 1550.

Regarding Fusion power, what happens when some trillionaire decides to take an interest?

Last edited:

Ironrooster

The pace of technology advancement is increasing. By 2060 there will be numerous things that no one today is predicting. Laser guns may even be obsolete by then.

Glockgemini

Inno knew there would be more ages to follow TE but didn't plan out out the tech flow over those ages very well. So you end up with tech that shouldn't be in earlier eras and tech that is too old in the later eras. Just like the resources for goods don't make much sense, its just a game and you have to go with the flow. Will Star Trek tech ever get produced? Probably not but definitely not in the 2200s. Back in the 90s, I thought we would be beyond the keyboard and mouse by 2010 but we are not even close to anything in 2021.

Algona

Will Star Trek tech ever get produced?

You are reading this on better communications, computing and electronics.then original Star Trek had.Your smart phone is much better then Kirk's communicator, Alexa can do anything the Enterprise main frame can do.

That took 50 years. With another 200 years of progress (Original Star Trek is in the 23rd century?), if FTL, warp power systems, trsnsporters are possible, we will have them by the 23rd century. If not sooner.

Just one example: What will another 200 years of R&D bring to the abilities of laser, sonic, electromagnetic (other) scanning combined with ever more sophisticated 3d printers? We may never be able to 'beam' life, but does it count if you can scan something inanimate on Earth and print a copy on Mars minutes later?

There is no way short of us exterminating ourselves that the flood of science and technology can be stopped.

I thought we would be beyond the keyboard and mouse by 2010 but we are not even close to anything in 2021.

No vice command tech, speech recognition, touch screens in your life?

All three of those were originally deployed last century. I hear it took a while for cars and electricity and indoor plumbing and fire to catch on as well.

Last edited:

Space Age Marz

You are reading this on better communications, computing and electronics.then original Star Trek had. Your smart phone is much better then Kirk's communicator, Alexa can do anything the Enterprise main frame can do.

We have to look at when Star Trek was made so the technology we had to produce the show wasn't exactly space age compared to movies/shows now. I don't think our "smartphones" can handle working on different planets/worlds and still communicate let alone intergalactic space travel. Alexa can barely turn on my Vizio lol

Algona

We have to look at when Star Trek was made

You might have to. I lived it. Which might explain our differing attitudes.

You're right, this discussion is all about historical perspective and the advance of science and technology.

Namely compare where technology was in 1970 to technology 250 years before and Star Trek's vision of 250 years in the future..

We get to cheat. We can see what happened in the 50 years since Star Trek came out.

----------

Granpa 'Gona was born about the start of the 20th century on the farm in Minnesota. He lived to watch his son pilot a jet at mach 2 and see us walk om the moon.

I watched Star Trek when it first came out. While I didn't live through the insane changes Granpa 'Gona saw (electricity, radio, cars, flight, spaceflight) I've grown up in the age of electronics. From tubes to ICs, operators and rotary dia phones to cellular, ENIAC to tablets.

You sneer at the current technology you take for granted. That you would respond the way you did shows you thought little of which you post.

I suspect you, like so many other people living in this time, will keep taking for granted that you live in an age where with little effort compared to our ancestors you can live a longer, healthier, more varied, luxurious life then 99% of humanity that came before you.

You have access to life, experiences, and riches that historical figures and potentates could never have had.

I don't think our "smartphones" can handle working on different planets/worlds and still communicate

I invite you to compare today's smart phone to what the average household had 50 years ago. There is no reason to think that communications technology won't continue to improve as dramatically.

One personal note. The first hand crank blower phone Granpa 'Gona had on the farm is hanging in my mother's kitchen.

I guarantee you that by the time we go to settle Mars or any other planet part of the preparation will be the deployment of a 'string of pearls' satellite system to enable planet wide communication and observation hopefully a couple planetary years (getting some idea of weather, tides, climate, vulcanism before moving in might be a good idea when we go to settle terrestrial planets) before the first settler lands.

You didn't really need me to tell you that. A moment of thought about current technology and knowing we had line of sight communication with the Moon since the 1960's would have shown you that.

Alexa can barely turn on my Vizio lol

Alexa's descendants (the technology is less then a decade old) will integrate actuator technology and semi autonomous appliances to fully monitor and manage your health, security, finances, schedule, household, chores, cooking, maintenance, supplies, transportation.

I want to emphasize one aspect of that. 24/7 remote sensor real time monitoring of body functions and health. Your electronic Alfred will be able to call for help before you even know you are having a problem.

This will be an incredible boon to the aging and disabled allowing much greater independence.

In 30 years you'll take that for granted as well.

let alone intergalactic space travel

I saved this for last. I want it soooo bad.

Is FTL possible? I don't know. I don't have access to the design specs for the universe.

But as I posted earlier, if it is possible and we haven't wiped ourselves out, I do expect we will have FTL by the 23rd century/. There's no other way to bet the science / technology curve.

Space Age Marz

You might have to. I lived it. Which might explain our differing attitudes.

I was born in 90 so I grew up in the middle of still using analog methods and moving towards the digital age. I don't take technology for granted at all. If we sat down and had a conversation you would learn that there's more than what meets the eye. I've always appreciated a good book, not on a kindle or an iPad but hardcover or paperback. I've read HP, LOTR, IT, all those dumb big epics I mean the list can go on and on. Point is, I read like crazy, and yes phones are amazing and they have so much knowledge at our fingertips but it comes at a price as do all things even life. Technology is only as good (or bad) as the person creating it.

I know without a doubt if a Star Trek Movie was made today the tech would be way more advanced than even today's tech, it would have to be because that's the verse it's set in. So yea comparing today's tech with yesterday's is fine but realistically it can't be compared with the Star Trek Universes because it depends on when the iteration of it is made. I would hope by the 2 century FTL is possible, that's < 200 years. lol We still aren't near Star Trek even though our phones are better than a 70s movie.