• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

When can we stop pretending GBG is balanced?

doggonebad

Limit the number of sectors that can be taken daily. This was done in gvg to level the playing field. Multiple 1stplace in a row should qualify for diamond. Keep the big guilds up and dont force a mediocre guild up for 1 good week.

Sharmon the Impaler

People that are not in the top guilds do not realize the work and the politics necessary to get and stay there. If a casual player doesn't like GbG then just don't play it. If you don't have a constant recruiting drive and basically 24/7 GbG running in your guild then you will get cornered every season. I see piles of guilds popping up with "low requirements and everyone accepted" these are the guilds that will be homebased in GbG. That is the nature of that part of the game.

Johnny B. Goode

People that are not in the top guilds do not realize the work and the politics necessary to get and stay there. If a casual player doesn't like GbG then just don't play it. If you don't have a constant recruiting drive and basically 24/7 GbG running in your guild then you will get cornered every season. I see piles of guilds popping up with "low requirements and everyone accepted" these are the guilds that will be homebased in GbG. That is the nature of that part of the game.
Yeah, I don't think those are the people coming here to complain. Those guilds won't even get to Diamond. And the people that join them wouldn't be bothered to come here to complain, even if they knew how, which they probably don't. Maybe there should be a GBG version for those with a real life, and then let the full time gamers stay in the present GBG and make checkerboards to their heart's content.

Emberguard

How will that help?
the GBG competition is points based.

So there’s only so far into the competition you go before the need to defend your rank becomes a bit of a moot point: no one’s going to catch up half way through the week if they’re not already on your heels. The closer to the end you are the more work required to bridge the gap

If it were reset more often then it’d create more competition because then you actually need to defend beyond the first couple days

The only reason checkers became a thing on my main world is due to Top Guilds twiddling their thumbs for most of the two weeks as the result’s already pretty clear early on in the competition

wolfhoundtoo

So there’s only so far into the competition you go before the need to defend your rank becomes a bit of a moot point: no one’s going to catch up half way through the week if they’re not already on your heels. The closer to the end you are the more work required to bridge the gap

If it were reset more often then it’d create more competition because then you actually need to defend beyond the first couple days
[/QUOTE]

Guess I should of use quotes. I was actually asking about the subsector idea. Your idea I understood what you were aiming for (well I assumed I did till you posted this and confirmed my impression).

Sharmon the Impaler

Yeah, I don't think those are the people coming here to complain. Those guilds won't even get to Diamond. And the people that join them wouldn't be bothered to come here to complain, even if they knew how, which they probably don't. Maybe there should be a GBG version for those with a real life, and then let the full time gamers stay in the present GBG and make checkerboards to their heart's content.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Many retirees play this game and there is no way a guild of casual players will ever beat a guild of people on 24/7. The 24/7 players are a huge revenue stream for Inno and there is no reason to throw that away.

Johnny B. Goode

The 24/7 players are a huge revenue stream for Inno and there is no reason to throw that away.
You have no way of knowing if that's true. And the relatively ease of acquiring Diamonds these days kind of contradicts your point. 24/7 players would have plenty of time to take advantage of all the free ways to get Diamonds, while the more part time players would be more likely to have to buy them. In any case, revenue is for Inno to worry about, we're discussing what is good for the player base here. And the present GBG system is only good for a very small part of the player base.

Sharmon the Impaler

You have no way of knowing if that's true. And the relatively ease of acquiring Diamonds these days kind of contradicts your point. 24/7 players would have plenty of time to take advantage of all the free ways to get Diamonds, while the more part time players would be more likely to have to buy them. In any case, revenue is for Inno to worry about, we're discussing what is good for the player base here. And the present GBG system is only good for a very small part of the player base.
If that were true then they would have changed it don't you think ?

Johnny B. Goode

Not as long as the part time players are still buying Diamonds. Neither you nor I nor anyone here knows where Inno gets its revenue from (other than just players in general), so speculation on which players buy more is just that...speculation. And speculation on player spending just muddies the water and adds nothing to the discussion.

Emberguard

That depends on whether Inno believes changing it would have a worse adverse effect than keeping it as is.

GBG was created as a separate thing from GvG because with the amount of work needed to port it over they decided they might as well just redesign something from scratch. Likewise I don't expect Inno to be making major changes to GBG for the exact same reason. If there's too many major changes, aside from potentially introduces bugs or design inconsistencies the more you fiddle with it, there comes a point where they might as well just scrap GBG and replace it with an entirely new version that hopefully addresses the flaws of GBG

Remember originally the league matchups when you have 9+ Guilds with the same LP were random among the same LP matchups. Then it was changed to Guild ID. Then changed back to random.

The easiest way to catch up to long time players is GBG purely because it's technically available all day with the only real constraint being your ability to keep attacking a province. The biggest complaints from new players effectively amount to looking at long time players and wanting to catch up to their progress. There are of course problems within that because the flipside is you can get pinned down and locked at your HQ

Sharmon the Impaler

That depends on whether Inno believes changing it would have a worse adverse effect than keeping it as is.

GBG was created as a separate thing from GvG because with the amount of work needed to port it over they decided they might as well just redesign something from scratch. Likewise I don't expect Inno to be making major changes to GBG for the exact same reason. If there's too many major changes, aside from potentially introduces bugs or design inconsistencies the more you fiddle with it, there comes a point where they might as well just scrap GBG and replace it with an entirely new version that hopefully addresses the flaws of GBG

Remember originally the league matchups when you have 9+ Guilds with the same LP were random among the same LP matchups. Then it was changed to Guild ID. Then changed back to random.

The easiest way to catch up to long time players is GBG purely because it's technically available all day with the only real constraint being your ability to keep attacking a province. The biggest complaints from new players effectively amount to looking at long time players and wanting to catch up to their progress. There are of course problems within that because the flipside is you can get pinned down and locked at your HQ

Have the HQs on ring 3 , problem solved

Sharmon the Impaler

Not as long as the part time players are still buying Diamonds. Neither you nor I nor anyone here knows where Inno gets its revenue from (other than just players in general), so speculation on which players buy more is just that...speculation. And speculation on player spending just muddies the water and adds nothing to the discussion.
" Yeah, I don't think those are the people coming here to complain. Those guilds won't even get to Diamond. And the people that join them wouldn't be bothered to come here to complain, even if they knew how, which they probably don't. Maybe there should be a GBG version for those with a real life, and then let the full time gamers stay in the present GBG and make checkerboards to their heart's content. "

Insulting the always on players is helping the discussion how exactly ? Follow your own advice and add to the discussion whenever you type.

Emberguard

Have the HQs on ring 3 , problem solved
You know what? I would like to see that implemented as a test run and just see how that shakes things up. It'd definitely make it harder to defend the center if you have an opponent that's fast enough. Would probably also make the Ring 4 sectors even less likely to be attacked by Guilds outside of the Guild that is touching the Ring 4 sectors as they'd have to maneuver behind their HQ to reach them

Ebeondi Asi

seriousy All the ways a part of the game can be altered is endless. The big problem are the people who complain, endlessly. in Real Life, there are entire generations of whiners, And the entire basis of the whining is: We want everything this other group has, Now! Even though they did not gain the education, nor save the money, nor have the brains, nor put in the time to learn, they just expect it handed to them because they 'deserve it'. It is called "entitlement"
This part of the game GbG it is exactly the same thing. Top Guild dominate because they worked at it, they have players who worked at it for a long time. And newer players who figured out how to get into those top Guilds. The weak Guilds and players with little experience want to have the same rewards as the big top Guilds. and they will whine endlessly until it is handed to them. That seems to be their main way to get ahead in the World.

Johnny B. Goode

Insulting the always on players is helping the discussion how exactly ?
About the same as implying that Inno should only care about the 24/7 players. Your statement claiming that they spend more money has nothing to do with whether GBG is broken or not, nor does it add to a discussion of possible changes that would make it enjoyable for a larger percentage of players. It in fact sidesteps the whole discussion. This is supposed to be a free to play game, that's what it's advertised as. To then imply that all decisions should be based solely on who spends the most money, as you did, contradicts the broad appeal of this game. An appeal that gets narrower every time they add something like GBG that ends up catering to a very few and ignoring the many.

Pericles the Lion

This is supposed to be a free to play game, that's what it's advertised as. To then imply that all decisions should be based solely on who spends the most money, as you did, contradicts the broad appeal of this game. An appeal that gets narrower every time they add something like GBG that ends up catering to a very few and ignoring the many.
Do you really think that FOE is "supposed to be a free to play game"? INNO is a business and the business of business is to generate profits for the owners. I think that INNO merely tolerates F2P players while engaged in developing tactics that will convert these F2P players to diamond buyers. While it may be possible to get to end game without buying a single diamond I am convinced that INNO understands addiction and knows that some percentage of players that start out as F2P will start buying diamonds in order to accelerate their city's growth. "Broad appeal"?? I don't recall seeing any official statistics regarding the percentage of players that are F2P so "broad appeal" is speculative.

Johnny B. Goode

Do you really think that FOE is "supposed to be a free to play game"? INNO is a business and the business of business is to generate profits for the owners. I think that INNO merely tolerates F2P players while engaged in developing tactics that will convert these F2P players to diamond buyers. While it may be possible to get to end game without buying a single diamond I am convinced that INNO understands addiction and knows that some percentage of players that start out as F2P will start buying diamonds in order to accelerate their city's growth. "Broad appeal"?? I don't recall seeing any official statistics regarding the percentage of players that are F2P so "broad appeal" is speculative.
Talk about adding nothing to the discussion. What does any of this post have to do with GBG? Nothing, that's what.