• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Sniping

Algona

I also am unsure what sniping is

Read this thread. Pretty much every answer has merit and will help you shape your own answer to the question.

Unsolicited advice, make of it what you will:

While asking anyone what sniping is is reasonable, prolly the most important person / people to ask are those folks in your Guild responsible for making and enforcing rules.

Johnny B. Goode

I mention above the major complaint / victim changing over time. What was the old complaint and victim and the new complaint and victim?
Old complaint: Sniper swoops in on a GB and takes 1st spot after it has been "primed" through a swap thread.
Victim: Players (usually guild mates) who have contributed to that GB in a swap thread.
New complaint 1: Sniper locks a reward spot on a GB at less than 1.9.
Victim 1: The GB owner, who may have to pony up a few more FP of his own to get the other spots filled.
New complaint 2: Sniper locks a reward spot (regardless of whether it's at or below 1.9) before the GB owner's guild mates can.
Victim 2: Guild mates looking for BPs for that particular GB. Also, the GB owner if the sniper locks in at below 1.9, for the same reason as on complaint 1.

Actually, New Complaint 2 showed up before New Complaint 1. New Complaint 1 didn't really show up until players started expecting 1.9 donations to their GBs as a right. New Complaint 2 showed up pretty much as soon as Arc 80 started showing up. Old Complaint has been around for the entire 6 years I've been playing, and still plagues developing guilds who don't have Arcs and are trying to build up their other GBs. They are still victimized (my bias is showing) by Arc owners looking for sniping opportunities.
What are the moral implications of sniping a self leveler in the Hood? On your Friend's list? In your Guild?

In a non-sweet spot GB what are the morale implications
There are no moral implications on sniping in the hood. There is no relationship there, so no expectation of mutually beneficial behavior. Players in a guild together or who are Friends (in the game sense), however, have tacitly agreed to be in a mutually beneficial relationship. So even though this is just a game, there are still moral implications if you snipe a Friend or guild mate.

*DapperDan*

Ok, I am very new, and evidently I am a 'sniper'. Was messaged that this was frowned upon. I have no clue (even after reading this and other threads) on why or how this is a bad thing. I put a FP on someones GB in the hopes that when it is levelled, the I may get some medals. If someone else comes along and puts 2 FP's on, I am bumped out of the running. Only I suffer any loss then. How is this bad for the GB owner, or any of his friends? Is it because now they have to spend 2 FP's instead of one to get that 5th slot? I figure it is like a silent auction... highest bidders win.

Ok, I am very new, and evidently I am a 'sniper'. Was messaged that this was frowned upon. I have no clue (even after reading this and other threads) on why or how this is a bad thing.
Sniping is only frowned upon when sniping guildmates, and sometimes players in your friends list. If the Player that sent you the frowning message was from your neighbor hood, they have no standing; you are the competition. Neighbor hood is ALWAYS free game in terms of sniping.

I put a FP on someones GB in the hopes that when it is levelled, the I may get some medals. If someone else comes along and puts 2 FP's on, I am bumped out of the running. Only I suffer any loss then. How is this bad for the GB owner, or any of his friends? Is it because now they have to spend 2 FP's instead of one to get that 5th slot? I figure it is like a silent auction... highest bidders win.
They are simply complaining that their guildmate/friend was not getting the Blueprints

*DapperDan*

Sniping is only frowned upon when sniping guildmates, and sometimes players in your friends list. If the Player that sent you the frowning message was from your neighbor hood, they have no standing; you are the competition. Neighbor hood is ALWAYS free game in terms of sniping.

They are simply complaining that their guildmate/friend was not getting the Blueprints
But all their guild mate had to do was step up and put TWO FP's and I would be out of the running. I really don't understand at all why this is an issue. Also, reading above, I see quota's like 1.9 is the recommended bid? Does that mean if the reward for the first spot is 10 FP, I should be bidding 19 FP?

I can understand if you are in a guild and working out a deal with your mates to build each others buildings up and paying double what the reward is, but fully expecting your mate to do the same. But that is on you to plan it, and execute that in such a way (timely) that no one could over bid you. But getting on someone who puts on FP on a GB (friend, neighbor, or Guildmate) just doesn't make any sense. Bid two points and I will fall off the bottom and get no reward. That is the risk I take.

*DapperDan*

Also, I don't understand the terminology of 'locking in a spot'. I see no way to do that. You bid, you get outbid, you go down one rank. How do you lock in a spot and keep someone else from out bidding you. If that is the case, then I certainly do understand the problem everyone has with sniping.

Ebeondi Asi

A good idea is the ask.. Ask the person in a PM if you can take the 5th spot. I regularly will knock anyone of a spot if they were not in my Guild working the 1.9 thead as a matter of principle unless they asked my politely in a Personal Message. then sure.
Added locking a spot is required in working 1.9 threads. Locking it is so when the position is taken at the 1.9 value no one else can add more. just not possible.
The key s allowing 2 times the actual1.9 position in FP left. Then iti is correct. With twice the value the position is taken with the value. And if another person wanted to steal it the most they can add is an equal amount. which cannot take the position already.
And leaving twice the amount also denies sniping. S ince a sniper can add less and the full amount can be added by a legitimate player knocking the sniper off.

Last edited:

*DapperDan*

A good idea is the ask.. Ask the person in a PM if you can take the 5th spot. I regularly will knock anyone of a spot if they were not in my Guild working the 1.9 thead as a matter of principle unless they asked my politely in a Personal Message. then sure.
Added locking a spot is required in working 1.9 threads. Locking it is so when the position is taken at the 1.9 value no one else can add more. just not possible.
The key s allowing 2 times the actual1.9 position in FP left. Then iti is correct. With twice the value the position is taken with the value. And if another person wanted to steal it the most they can add is an equal amount. which cannot take the position already.
And leaving twice the amount also denies sniping. S ince a sniper can add less and the full amount can be added by a legitimate player knocking the sniper off.

How do you knock someone off that gave to your building? No one has ever given even 80% of the value of the prize on my upgrades. I wouldn't expect them to, what is in it for them to give 19 forge points and only get 10 in return?

You haven't explained locking a spot. If I put one forge point in, and someone out bids me, no one looses but me. This just seems silly. Maybe it is a culture thing. I am used to capitalism, I pay what I think it is worth, if someone thinks it is worth more, they outbid me. I wonder if you go to an auction and get outbid do you think they sniped you?

Ok, I am very new, and evidently I am a 'sniper'. Was messaged that this was frowned upon. I have no clue (even after reading this and other threads) on why or how this is a bad thing. I put a FP on someones GB in the hopes that when it is levelled, the I may get some medals. If someone else comes along and puts 2 FP's on, I am bumped out of the running. Only I suffer any loss then. How is this bad for the GB owner, or any of his friends? Is it because now they have to spend 2 FP's instead of one to get that 5th slot? I figure it is like a silent auction... highest bidders win.
"Sniping" is a nebulous term these days, but what is common definition among most players is that sniping is an unsolicited donation to a Great Building. To avoid a confrontation about being a "sniper", you have to ask the GB owner first, or donate through designated threads.

How do you knock someone off that gave to your building? No one has ever given even 80% of the value of the prize on my upgrades. I wouldn't expect them to, what is in it for them to give 19 forge points and only get 10 in return?
If they have a level 80+ Arc, they get 19 FPs in return, which is breakeven.

You haven't explained locking a spot. If I put one forge point in, and someone out bids me, no one looses but me.
GB places and rewards are determined by whoever has put the highest number of forge points FIRST. So if it takes 20 forge points for one to level their lvl 0 Oracle, if I place 10 forge points, the maximum number of forge points somebody else can put in for that level is 10 forge points. Since I already have 10 forge points on that level, nobody else can surpass me in the forge point donation, and thus I am guaranteed 1st place. That is what we call "locking" a place.

The Lady Redneck

Snipers are purely out to make a profit. At least I am when I snipe. I do not look on it as helping the other guy. But it can do. I got my first 2 Arcs taken to 80 by snipers when I was in small guilds where members all had low level arc or were hunting the BPs to get an Arc, I actually sent FRs to the snipers and only opened them when they were there to snipe them. I then put them on the guild swap threads so guildies could get the lower spots they could afford to take. The arrangement works great. Especially when 2 of the snipers were in warring guilds and vied with each other as to who would get top spot.

Last edited:

Ebeondi Asi

You haven't explained locking a spot. If I put one forge point in, and someone out bids me, no one looses but me. This just seems silly. Maybe it is a culture thing. I am used to capitalism, I pay what I think it is worth, if someone thinks it is worth more, they outbid me. I wonder if you go to an auction and get outbid do you think they sniped you?
If no one has given even 80% because you are not in a Guild with a 1.9 thread. Second you do not own an Ac at level 80. (I woud guess no Arc at all) Low level Guilds not enough players own Level 80 Arc to have a 1.9 thread. Even a lot of middle level Guilds dont have a 1.9 thread. Most low level players at best have swap threads. (which have plenty of problems.) The rules of 1.9 are arcane and strict. You discuss one forge point.
One of my Guilds is helping another small Guild with leveling the Leaders Arc up to 80, and hopefully a few others. Even th Leader had to learn how to use a 1.9 thread.
No one cares about one forge point except new players. Locking is very important when P1 need 2350 Forge points. Or even 270.
What Locking is have been reiterated at least a hundred thousand times to new players. And of those 98% still did not get it. I alone have explained 1.9 and locking et all at least a hundred times all by myself to Arc clubs I started or managed.

*DapperDan*

No one cares about one forge point except new players. Locking is very important when P1 need 2350 Forge points. Or even 270.
What Locking is have been reiterated at least a hundred thousand times to new players. And of those 98% still did not get it. I alone have explained 1.9 and locking et all at least a hundred times all by myself to Arc clubs I started or managed.
[/QUOTE]

Ok, then I think I am starting to understand a bit more. It is something that at my level. (early middle ages, only one GB at level 2) It is a non issue. I am only here asking because I was called a sniper and accused of playing poorly because I put 1 FP on their GB in case in the long run no one claimed that 5th slot and I might end up with a few medals that I need to get further.

If I understand you correctly, I am NOT a problem to anyone with that level. I have some friends who deal with numbers you mentioned or higher as a but they didn't seem to care at all that I put an FP on one of their 20 or so GB's. Only once that paid off and I got 20 FP and a bunch of medals.

You see the problem is, you have reiterated it a 'hundred thousand' times to new players, but new players aren't dealing with arc's whatever that is, we don't know the lingo. We are just trying to survive and we get our first GB and see that we can get some more FP if we help someone else, that seemed like a fair deal.

Maybe if someone at your level explained it in a way that we could ever understand why we would give more FP's to get less back that would be more helpful.

I spent about 2 hours searching 'sniping' here before I asked, and I guess I missed all of your re-iterations so I started this thread to try to get a better understanding of sniping, and how and why I would want to ever pay more for less. All I got for the most part was mumbo jumbo about arc's and 1.9 etiquette.

I am just going to go back to my land and keep leveling up. If you see me put a FP on one of your buildings go ahead and lock me out whatever that is supposed to mean.

*DapperDan*

GB places and rewards are determined by whoever has put the highest number of forge points FIRST. So if it takes 20 forge points for one to level their lvl 0 Oracle, if I place 10 forge points, the maximum number of forge points somebody else can put in for that level is 10 forge points. Since I already have 10 forge points on that level, nobody else can surpass me in the forge point donation, and thus I am guaranteed 1st place. That is what we call "locking" a place.

Ok, well now I understand locking a place, thank you for this.

However if I have a GB that takes 20 FP to get to level 1 oracle, and someone' locks in by giving 10 (they will only get 5 back so I don't know why they would do it) then a second player could get spot two with just 1 point (and get 5 back) and a third player puts in 3 and jumps ahead of player 2. All of that would be in my favor as Now I only would need to (as the owner) put in 4 points. Win win win except for the person who 'locked' with the 10 points. How is this hurting anyone?

I am honestly not trying to argue, but desperately trying to figure out what I am missing. There must be something to it as I watch my big boy friends put 2000 fp on someones GB and even at first place they will only get 300 fp as a first place award. Is this where this mysterious arc thing comes into play?

Ebeondi Asi

The player who put in ten on your Oracle is getting back 10 if they own a Arc level 80+ That is the key anyone owning an Arc at level 80 or higher is getting back way more than 5 Forge points. (one oddity is a half FP counts to the total as a whole. so 1.9 times five is 9.5 rounded up to ten. So the guy with the Arc loses nothing putting ten on your Oracle. All the magic of Arc 80 ad the 1.9 thread is the player with an Arc at level 80 or higher get back the full amount they pay at one and nine tenths times the reward. it is like magic. and all the Great Buildings leveled sky high are all (now) from the Arc bonus.
Prior to the introduction of the Arc, very few players went over level ten on any Great Building. Now there are players with level 200 CF and 180 Arc are around too. All due to teh Arc bonus and getting mountains of blueprints via using Arc.

NWWAkamai

I just had 2 snipers take my #1 and #2 positions on one of my GB's for a loss to me of 279 fp's (Level 42 and just listed on 1.9 thread, perfect timing...). I messaged both of them asking whether they intended to snipe or could they add the missing fp's(I've had great success with this in the past). One never responded and the other taunted me. I've placed that GB on the shelf until Christmas and will be working all my other GB's until then ( we all have plenty of others that need leveled). I also notified them of this decision and then, labeled them to be ignored. One has over 1000fp's invested and the other, exactly 500. So be careful how much you're willing to risk when you decide to snipe as there are those out there, like myself, that will enjoy the challenge. This is 365th day playing FOE! Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

jeffj2

I've placed that GB on the shelf until Christmas and will be working all my other GB's until then
My favorite post this month. Good revenge.
I am not yet at level 42 on any building. Is there a method to prevent this erosion of your FPs on your GBs? If you prime with a full set of priming fps (all at once), will that prevent the situation?

NWWAkamai

My favorite post this month. Good revenge.
I am not yet at level 42 on any building. Is there a method to prevent this erosion of your FPs on your GBs? If you prime with a full set of priming fps (all at once), will that prevent the situation?
I could have lined up 2 guild members to be ready at a certain time and as soon as I unlocked my GB, they would take those positions. Not worth my time. I manage 4 cities total and it's just a game. When something happens, you adjust. Knowing that each time they check their GB investments and see those fp's tied up in a snipe gone bad, well, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Imagine the other investments they'll miss between now and then and I think they'll lose a lot more than they gained.