• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Any advice on gaining guild members?

Aholasurf

I have been asking this question for a while and I get mostly the same responses. Does anyone know of any forums, threads, WIKIs to look for?
Any advice on recruitment strategies? I took over a guild about 2 years ago and have been hovering around 15 to 20 members with a high of 32.
Also what is a good size for a guild? Is small good? Any advice or opinions are welcome. Thank you.

Attachments

• All_Player_Avatars_SUMMER-2018-PIRATE.png
    All_Player_Avatars_SUMMER-2018-PIRATE.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 3

Sledgie

Before you start recruiting, you need to make sure your guild is attractive to potential members. As a small but growing guild, your best strategy is probably to position yourself as a growth guild with moderate requirements that are easy for active new players to achieve. Provide things to help players grow such as an active 1.9 thread, Great Building development programs, mentoring programs, etc. Watch Global chat for new players that are active, but are struggling to get the resources they need in the open guilds they joined when they first unlocked guilds. Send personal messages to those players telling them what you offer and inviting them to your guild. Develop those players in-house and they will be loyal in the long run as you become stronger.

Aholasurf

Any ideas as to why the 10-12 previous members left?
This is over a period of 2 years I have been with the guild. When I took over we where only 4 but soon gained members. Some of those members are still with the guild and others have been members for over a year. All members are active.

Last edited:

Aholasurf

Before you start recruiting, you need to make sure your guild is attractive to potential members. As a small but growing guild, your best strategy is probably to position yourself as a growth guild with moderate requirements that are easy for active new players to achieve. Provide things to help players grow such as an active 1.9 thread, Great Building development programs, mentoring programs, etc. Watch Global chat for new players that are active, but are struggling to get the resources they need in the open guilds they joined when they first unlocked guilds. Send personal messages to those players telling them what you offer and inviting them to your guild. Develop those players in-house and they will be loyal in the long run as you become stronger.
Thank you. Since our guild has been around since 2016 we are well established and highly ranked with great bonuses. I try to use this as credentials for the guild. I also explain we have very low requirements. Just to finish at least level 2 of the weekly guild expedition and donate at least 30 goods from your age or higher once a week unless you have an Arc. We have pay it forward threads from 5 to 100 and active trade threads. We have a 1.85 but no 90.
Do these sound like good requirements or should I go higher or lower? We do cater to the advanced player as well as a novice.

nchou

Hey!
So, our guild is pretty meh, around 20 people, we're doing fine if I'm to say so myself.
A trick that we use is to contact people in our neighborhood or if you go the world ranks, go to some people around you without guilds and offer them some time in your guild. It helps a lot, many people stay and contribute to GEs and GB/GBGs (I forgot, what it's called).
It's a win win, really.
The newer players are always easier to attract, but if they stop playing, they're dead weight, so sometimes it comes down to luck. But even if you're a small guild, you'll be fine.
Best of luck!

Agent327

Since our guild has been around since 2016 we are well established and highly ranked with great bonuses.

You should really adjust your perspective.

Your Guild is Gulf Coast Traders. You are ranked 124 on W. Your level is 50 and you have 13 members, with one inactive at the moment. Being around since 2016 that is a rather poor result. You are trying to sell your Guild by stating you are "building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude". With the word "Traders" in your Guild name that does not make sense and your 13 members does not help either.

You need to be realistic in the way you try to sell your Guild to start with.

Aholasurf

Your Guild is Gulf Coast Traders. You are ranked 124 on W. Your level is 50 and you have 13 members, with one inactive at the moment. Being around since 2016 that is a rather poor result. You are trying to sell your Guild by stating you are "building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude". With the word "Traders" in your Guild name that does not make sense and your 13 members does not help either.

Thank you for your opinion. I kept the name Gulf Coast Traders when I inherited the guild. We do quite well in Battleground and have over 150 wins in weekly guild expedition. But the " Building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude " is a quote from a funny movie. We do our best to cater to beginning players by trading goods for Arc and so forth. We are a small guild at the moment but for our size I believe we are adequately ranked. We are looking for new members to increase our size and ranking. If this soundsinteresting we are set to autojoin.
We also offer a 100 forge points signing bonus for new recruits and 100 forge points reward for any member who finds a new recruit.
If you are looking to join us and help us grow we would enjoy having an experienced player in our guild.

Last edited:

Aholasurf

Hey!
So, our guild is pretty meh, around 20 people, we're doing fine if I'm to say so myself.
A trick that we use is to contact people in our neighborhood or if you go the world ranks, go to some people around you without guilds and offer them some time in your guild. It helps a lot, many people stay and contribute to GEs and GB/GBGs (I forgot, what it's called).
It's a win win, really.
The newer players are always easier to attract, but if they stop playing, they're dead weight, so sometimes it comes down to luck. But even if you're a small guild, you'll be fine.
Best of luck!
Thank you for the advice. The strategy you are describing is a lot easier to implement now that FOE has made it more apparent how long a player has been inactive. Thank you for the advice.
When we have an established member who needs a break for personal reasons we let them take a break for a while. One of the reasons we can do this is we are an established guild that has been around a while so our treasury can take it.
Thank you for the advice and good luck with your guild.

Last edited:

Agent327

I kept the name Gulf Coast Traders when I inherited the guild. We do quite well in Battleground and have over 150 wins in weekly guild expedition. But the " Building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude " is a quote from a funny movie. We do our best to cater to beginning players by trading goods for Arc and so forth. We are a small guild at the moment but for our size I believe we are adequately ranked. We are looking for new members to increase our size and ranking. If this soundsinteresting we are set to autojoin.
We also offer a 100 forge points signing bonus for new recruits and 100 forge points reward for any member who finds a new recruit.

Now you are telling what you should tell when you advertise your Guild.

Pericles the Lion

I have tried a 1.9 a few times but I find a 85 more popular. If we get a few members asking for it in will definitely post one.
As compared with a 1.9 a 1.85 would be "more popular" with players with level 80+ Arcs and your guild has several. They are taking a profit every time that they contribute at 1.85 and this profit is at the expense of their lower level guildmates. Very new players probably would not notice the absence of a 1.9 (or 1.92) but more seasoned player certainly will. IMO, it sends a subtle message.

Aholasurf

Now you are telling what you should tell when you advertise your Guild.

Maybe something like this then???

We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our spirits in the traditions of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.
Level 4 open every expedition. Active pay it forward and trade threads. Highly ranked with great bonuses. We cater to the beginning player as well as the advanced. All we require is to complete at least level 2 of the weekly guild expedition an donate 30 goods or more from your age or higher.
We are Gulf Coast Traders. World Walstrand.

I also add that we have a 100 forge point signing bonus for all new members.

What if anything would you add to this? Your opinion is appreciated.

Last edited:

Aholasurf

As compared with a 1.9 a 1.85 would be "more popular" with players with level 80+ Arcs and your guild has several. They are taking a profit every time that they contribute at 1.85 and this profit is at the expense of their lower level guildmates. Very new players probably would not notice the absence of a 1.9 (or 1.92) but more seasoned player certainly will. IMO, it sends a subtle message.

Yes. That does make sense and I see how it can look bad. I have tried 1.9 threads in the past and have not had much success. We have a guild thread dedicated to new ideas and such. I will ask the guild if this is something they want. I am open this idea. Thank you for the advice.

Aholasurf

I do not see an inactive player in the guild. Everyone has been active in the last 7 days.
This is strange you see this.
Also I believe we are ranked 105.
We do allow members to take personal time if needed (within reason). We are a well established guild with a large inventory. This allows us the opportunity to allow guild members to take a break without leaving the guild or harming our treasury. We also allow for new members who are just getting started much lower requirements until they become more established. This help along with mentoring new players has proven successful for novice members.
Do you think this is a good strategy or should we be more strict with member activity?

Last edited: