• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GVG is crap

MJ Artisan of War

Even better solution.... Just delete GvG entirely and set up a separate thread for all the whining and wailing and gnashing of teeth which would begin...
Time to move on and discard that relic...

Ebeondi Asi

Even better solution.... Just delete GvG entirely and set up a separate thread for all the whining and wailing and gnashing of teeth which would begin...
No one has to play GvG. So no need to force anyone to stop playing it. Plenty of players like it just fine.

Johnny B. Goode

No one has to play GvG. So no need to force anyone to stop playing it. Plenty of players like it just fine.
The best solution to the GvG issue would be to seriously devalue its impact on guild ranking. Then it could die a natural death at long last. It's been on life support for over 5 years.

iPenguinPat

GVG is great. It's the most fast-paced and dynamic aspect of FOE. FOE has a low-skill cap as far as games go; GVG is the one area where outstanding players can really shine and where lousy p2w players are exposed. Sadly, GVG is dead on many servers. US1, US4, and US10 are still highly active GVG servers. If you want to see real GVG, check those servers at 8pm server time. Otherwise, i can see how gvg has a bad rep.

The fact that GVG is hidden to mobile-only players, requires at least one trusted player, leader, or founder to play, and has no introduction or training model make it hard for players to pick up. The fact that there's still a cult following of GVG players after years of relative neglect is a testament to how good it could be if more players were aware/involved.

The fact that gvg weighs so much for guild ranking is dumb though. If GBG ranking was uncapped and used a proper ELO ranking system, it would go a long way to fixing the complaints about gvg's existence. GVG is still popular on many servers and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I've been tracking the number of sectors conquered in GVG daily for 8 US servers, 3en, 3de, 2fr, 2ro and a couple of misc regions. When some servers have 400+ sectors flipping daily, that's way too much commitment and devotion for inno to risk rocking to boat removing the feature. At this point, it's too low maintenance and highly habit-forming for inno to drop.

GVG'ers may keep fussing about GVG coming to Mobile (it won't). But GVG haters should know that isn't not going anywhere - GVG is alive and well in the big picture of FOE.

From what I've seen you are right about the extent of BOT using, but they have so many ALTs (which never get removed) that they (BOT users) don't care.
At the risk of getting deleted, I would suggest that the easiest fix to GVG is two-fold:
1. Make everything a LZ. (Just remove the LZ CODE)
2. Create another Space AGE only Continent. (Limit AF Continent to AF units and below.)
Just a thought for discussion amongst GvG aficionados, not a demand.

Alts/Shared accounts are a major problem. Pushing, spying, ghosting, etc all screw up the balance and fairness of the game whether gvg, gbg, or otherwise.

Getting the cheaters cleared out would help GVG a lot. Adding a couple of extra LZs in the SE corner of the AA map would make it impossible to close to beach fixing that issue on most servers.

Finally, adding any sort of reward to GVG would make it much more popular. GBG and the PVP tower show that players will jump through any hoops put in front of them to get extra loot. We all know this will never happen. The fact remains that prizes would make GVG significantly more popular.

Johnny B. Goode

GVG is the one area where outstanding players can really shine
If you truly believe that, it shoots a huge hole in your credibility. Availability at 8 PM Eastern time and membership in a large guild full of PC players are the only two requisites to GvG success. GBG requires more strategy, and even GE requires more skill. How can it be a true test when the max defense army boosts are capped at a ridiculously low number? Get real.
The fact that there's still a cult following of GVG players after years of relative neglect is a testament to how good it could be if more players were aware/involved.
Or it could be a sign that these players are like a club of people who enjoy listening to music on 8-track tapes. Or movies on VHS.
The fact that gvg weighs so much for guild ranking is dumb though.
This is about the only true statement in your post. Ironic, really, that you stuck this little gem in.
If you want to see real GVG, check those servers at 8pm server time.
See? Even you know what the most relevant requirement for GvG "success" is.
At this point, it's too low maintenance and highly habit-forming for inno to drop.
Another mostly true statement. Although the habit forming was probably done in the days of the dinosaurs and not recently.
GVG'ers may keep fussing about GVG coming to Mobile (it won't). But GVG haters should know that isn't not going anywhere - GVG is alive and well in the big picture of FOE.
Not in the big picture. In a niche segment of the player base, yes. But not in the big picture.
Alts/Shared accounts are a major problem. Pushing, spying, ghosting, etc all screw up the balance and fairness of the game whether gvg, gbg, or otherwise.
Really? Because I've been playing for over 6 years and never once has my game been affected by alts/shared accounts. Ditto with pushing and ghosting. Spying (assuming you mean players who secretly join a rival guild for intelligence gathering) is a valid strategy, whatever your opinion of it is.
Getting the cheaters cleared out would help GVG a lot. Adding a couple of extra LZs in the SE corner of the AA map would make it impossible to close to beach fixing that issue on most servers.
Or, as has been suggested numerous times, just make every tile a landing zone and stop the ability to close them off. And I hear a lot about alleged cheaters, but why would someone cheat in GvG? For ranking points?!? Get serious. If they're cheating just for ranking points that few players care about, more power to them. Seems stupid to risk a ban for that, but whatever.
Finally, adding any sort of reward to GVG would make it much more popular.
Adding prizes to a feature that less than 30% of the player base can access? Inno isn't that stupid. You really think mobile players are going to go out and buy a PC/laptop just because rewards are added? That's pie in the sky thinking. You obviously don't know the mobile player's mindset, do you?

Nice try at defending GvG's stature, but it's a losing battle. Might as well just enjoy it while you can.

Agent327

The fact remains that prizes would make GVG significantly more popular.

Why do you think that? :p

You say yourself there is a cult following. Would that cult not chase away new GvG players and are they not already doing that now? It would still be PC only and would those PC players really be interested by some rewards? Maybe when GvG started, but now? Game is getting more and more parts and becomes more time consuming. I for one stopped doing Settlements for that reason.

I can honestly say that the only reason I am still playing this game is because of GVG. I am pretty much doing it solo in my guild and not always at reset but it is a lot of fun for me. Way more fun than "forge of forge point gluttony" or whatever the game is that most of the loudmouths on here seem to be expecting everyone to be playing. Definitely more fun than GBG since I seem to be on the list of people who don't get diamonds as rewards for it.

There are obviously issues with GVG that I wish could be fixed and I wish mobile could play it too but obviously this will never happen. I don't see a need for prizes for it, nor do I think this would make anyone switch to pc to play it.

Pericles the Lion

Diamonds are rare in GBG. Those getting a constant stream of diamonds from GBG are doing a *lot* of fights
Yep. Diamonds are rewarded approximately 1% of the time. 100 encounters...1 reward of 25 diamonds. For serious GBG "gluttons" (to use @Aleria's term) it adds up fast.

Diamonds are rare in GBG. Those getting a constant stream of diamonds from GBG are doing a *lot* of fights
I feel a bit better now. :D Still prefer GVG since it feels like I am accomplishing something plus I get to challenge myself against large guilds.

got enough going on GVG is a pain no one wants to mess with
The nice thing about this game is we can pick and choose what we want to do. I don't bother with settlements, questing, swap threads, 1.9, etc for instance since I have limited online time which is usually during off hours. Those are a pain that I don't want to mess with.

planetofthehumans2

Devalue it's ranking contribution. GE and GBG both require a lot more time, troops and strategy than 5 minutes around 5pm PST. A lot of people are not pleased that gvg, something that cant even be accessed by mobile players or people who have jobs, is the sole contributor to the ranking page. Yanno, you can say just do what you want in the game, but the guild ranking is how people find guilds to join so it's pretty important to have a good system in place here. Very active guilds tend to float towards the top, just sayin.

It'd be cool if there was a country ranking for top guilds with the most GE gold medals across the world servers. I wonder if there are any with all GE weeks gold ?

I wouldn't mind a ranking simply based on guild level if nothing else makes sense or its too difficult to recalculate. Have GBG contribute to the level, give a load of crowns at platinum top instead of just the building fragments. There's not really too much desire to get #1 versus #2 or #3 besides pride, you'll still stay in plat. Also need more guild levels...lot are at level 100 cap.

Flavius Belisarius

GvG is the only way to Build Guild Doinance AND it it engages ALL Guilds.
There are some fixes I wish would occur: Space Age GvG Era and eliminate LZs.

Johnny B. Goode

GvG is the only way to Build Guild Doinance AND it it engages ALL Guilds.
Ummm. No, it doesn't. Many, many guilds do no GvG at all. Check the global guild list and then count the number of guilds holding tiles in GvG and you'll see that.
There are some fixes I wish would occur: Space Age GvG Era and eliminate LZs.
Well, we know neither of these are going to happen. And you didn't think the second one through. With no LZs, only guilds already holding tiles could participate in GvG. That's assuming you are using "LZ" as short for landing zone.