• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[FAQ] Help, I am being plundered!

• Thread starter DeletedUser8152
  • Start date

PaHe

The point being made is that when you are 4 levels below 70 players in your hood you cannot progress fast enough to compete. It is not about being attacked or being plundered. You all tell me how and Progressive Era player can attack those 70. It is about being competitive when you place a 20 million player with someone who is 300K you have balanced nothing. The developers need to check hoods or complaints and adjust the hoods accordingly. let the 70 FE players have at each other.

Ylisaveta

In what sense, compete? If you are in Progressive, hit those other 10 or so players that are not ages above you and play GE, which will give you Progressive PvP points if you fight with units from your age. It should be easy to place on the Progressive tower, with so little competition. And some of those 70, surprise! will have a 2 spearmen defense or something like, because they are probably being attacked, too. You can attack, then surrender if they don't have an army you can beat.

I was LMA, #75 in a hood for one merge cycle where #74 was Future Era and had 4 mil plus points, and I sucked it up, sunshine. I progressed just fine, thank you, and won the LMA tower both weeks. I also aided every one of them, even the ones attacking me, for bps. I left my best defense up, even though it rarely even scratched the attackers. I made no deals, gave no bribes, didn't ask them to stop, nothing. I just endured. Then, I was back in a LMA neighborhood. Most of us who have stayed, and progressed, and post on these forums, have been where you are. You have not been targeted for special mistreatment.

DeletedUser26154

What are some strategies to minimize my chances of getting plundered?

There is no way to eliminate the chance of being plundered, but to minimize it you can:

1. Get very angry and fire off a volley of threatening letters. Lots of rage-induce typos only add to it's beauty. Mandatory Cap lock when stressing obvious points. Tell them how you really feel. Let it all out. Don't bottle it up inside you. Remember: Big letters means = serious.
2. Vocalize every detail, in a similar fashion mentioned above, across every social media outlet you can find. We love that. Oh we do.
3. Drive yourself nuts thinking about being plundered all day and night when you are at work, at school, shopping mall, getting food. Remember we all know when you log off. As soon as you turn your back on the game, we're gonna plunder your city, and plunder it good. It's like that fence-hopping dog that lives down the street, it waits for you to let your poodle Fifi in the yard. I call dibs on the goat farm.
4. Put ten stressful years on your heart by always, without fail, through hell and high water, bullets and boom-a-rangs, collecting on time, even if that means slowly and constantly changing your sleep schedule, because of the delay in resetting times. Forsaking all else for this one simple task. Eventually you'll have the same body clock as a vampire bat, constantly out-flying the sun on it's way to the Orient.
5. Take up smoking and maybe a drinking habit. Can't hurt.
6. Ignore them. That always helps.

Being plundered makes me angry, can you help me feel better?

You certainly have my sympathy, especially if you are being plundered by a player much more advanced than you.

I recommend you grow some stones and accept the historical reality that cities plundered, raided, captured, pillaged and garden marketed each other since a boundary line was first drawn. It has something to do with "I want your stuff". Maybe talk to these fellas. See the strategy #1 above. The more you complain, the more Fate's merciless hand will keep you in the same brutal neighborhood. That's how it works.

In the meantime, pass it along. Like a petulant red-headed stepchild that finally grew up, show them what comes around goes around.
Be that Colonial Age bully who muscles his way into Bronze Age lumber mills for toothpicks and doorstops. No one will talk bad about you.

I am philosophically opposed to games that reward conflict and aggressive behavior. Is there any way to opt out of the player-vs-player part of the game?

Yes. Admit defeat and hand over everything your life has to offer the moment one person says "boo". If you do that, it'll just get worse and worse. Think of the story about the man, the camel and the tent in the desert. One day they'll want your Marble, and the next day you'll be wearing a dress. Always resist with every fiber of your being and never let the oppressors trample upon your dreams of being a success in the city-building world. But yeah. We get rewarded so deal with it. To hear a weakling's belly-aching only adds succulent spice to the flavor.

I think it is immoral for people to plunder me, will you support me in condemning them?

No, players who plunder are playing the game as intended, and are not acting in an immoral way.

It's what we do after the plundering that makes Bishops frown.

[FYI this is a pure sarcasm piece and is all comedy and humor. Do not take anything that I wrote as correct or even serious.]

DeletedUser26154

Now for the serious reply. I can give some advise on what I would do, and have done since my first neighborhood move.
First thing I did was use the aid button on everybody. Then I sent kind letters of introduction to the top 40 ranked players and informed them I'm a friendly player and I like to motivate and polish. Also mention if you like to contribute to Great Buildings in the letter as well, if that's your thing.

I moved once before, and once again a few days ago. I landed in my new city, did my motivate/polish, then sent out the letters.

I've received several friend requests, a dozen friendly letters back and so far, no plundering. It's worth pointing out that my city had no military buildings up, if you don't count 8 Rogue Hideouts. I don't have an Alcatraz and they do. There was [still is] a giant strip of a gap running along one side, and those empty spaces are where my military buildings are going to go once I have them all researched and running.

My point is: My city's pants were down and no one even tested to see if I had defenses.

This is a neighborhood with some of the top names in guilds too. These people know their stuff, know how to fight. They can walk down any dark alley they want. None of them bothered me. They have no reason to fear me either. They were and are all polite.

Like in real world history, there will be two things: Lots of war, and lots of diplomats going from embassy to embassy trying to curb the conflicts. Try talking to them with respect and you'll see you'll go much farther than you would with armies. I don't GvG and I don't like fighting other players unless it's in a set pvp environment where both are there by choice and it's for fun.

We're all human beings here and you'd be surprised how many nice, thoughtful people I've come across so far. This game has a high percentage of mature gamers, many of them married and with families. Talk to them, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how civil the FoE community is, despite what some forum pundits like myself may say for ratings. Thank you.

DeletedUser16317

I too have a guy that hits me regularly and is 3 levels ahead of me. There is no defense possible against him so the best I can do is make sure my large goods buildings are gathered soon as I can after they come due. He'll usually get a production building but that loss I can take. Only thing to do is either advance faster than I really want to or just be patient and wait for a neighborhood reset, it'll happen sooner or later. :)

Mustapha00

I was LMA, #75 in a hood for one merge cycle where #74 was Future Era and had 4 mil plus points, and I sucked it up, sunshine. I progressed just fine, thank you, and won the LMA tower both weeks. I also aided every one of them, even the ones attacking me, for bps. I left my best defense up, even though it rarely even scratched the attackers. I made no deals, gave no bribes, didn't ask them to stop, nothing. I just endured. Then, I was back in a LMA neighborhood. Most of us who have stayed, and progressed, and post on these forums, have been where you are. You have not been targeted for special mistreatment.

You had to go through that to play the game.

The question is, >>SHOULD<< you have had to go through that to play the game?

I have long said that Inno should have the capability to take steps to prevent this from happening, "this" being players three, four or more Ages sharing neighborhoods with earlier Age players and Plundering the living Hades out of them at absolutely zero risk to themselves. I have contended that Inno is either unwilling or, worse, unable to make the sort of changes necessary to produce a more competitive game, though I and many, many other players have gone well beyond merely complaining about the situation and have offered concrete proposals to accomplish this.

I have heard rumors that a new neighborhood assignment algorithm is being implemented, one which take a stab at eliminating the wide Age disparity that all too frequently befell some neighborhoods so that players might have at least some chance of using their military to successfully defend against an attack as opposed to merely attempting to avoid being plundered. Of the four servers on which I play, two of them now have much smaller Age spans than they did previously, as proved by both point totals (which can be misleading) and by actually visiting the higher-ranked players in my hoods and seeing what Age they're in. The range seems to be +2/-3 Ages, which is much better on the + end, though not so much on the - end. But unquestionably better than it was. On the other two worlds, one or two players at the high end will have 1.5 million points and be 3 Ages ahead of most of the rest of us (roughly 400k being the median point total) and a couple will have 100k at the low end. So more work is needed there. But work seems to be being done...at last.

Ylisaveta

You had to go through that to play the game.

The question is, >>SHOULD<< you have had to go through that to play the game?

I have long said that Inno should have the capability to take steps to prevent this from happening, "this" being players three, four or more Ages sharing neighborhoods with earlier Age players and Plundering the living Hades out of them at absolutely zero risk to themselves. I have contended that Inno is either unwilling or, worse, unable to make the sort of changes necessary to produce a more competitive game, though I and many, many other players have gone well beyond merely complaining about the situation and have offered concrete proposals to accomplish this.

I have heard rumors that a new neighborhood assignment algorithm is being implemented, one which take a stab at eliminating the wide Age disparity that all too frequently befell some neighborhoods so that players might have at least some chance of using their military to successfully defend against an attack as opposed to merely attempting to avoid being plundered. Of the four servers on which I play, two of them now have much smaller Age spans than they did previously, as proved by both point totals (which can be misleading) and by actually visiting the higher-ranked players in my hoods and seeing what Age they're in. The range seems to be +2/-3 Ages, which is much better on the + end, though not so much on the - end. But unquestionably better than it was. On the other two worlds, one or two players at the high end will have 1.5 million points and be 3 Ages ahead of most of the rest of us (roughly 400k being the median point total) and a couple will have 100k at the low end. So more work is needed there. But work seems to be being done...at last.

I wasn't that bothered, honestly. If it had gone on longer, maybe it would have been more of an issue for me. I just considered it a challenge.

They've already implemented the new algorithm in beta. Those reporting on the forum (a self-selected few, just like here) have uniformly said that their neighborhoods changed to all one Age. And almost every one of them posted to complain. Harder to trade, not getting as many bps for higher age building, etc.

My conclusion: no algorithm is going to make everyone happy. Surprise! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DeletedUser25273

Neighborhoods being much more consistent in Age would increase the importance of Guilds and Friends to get the varied ages interactions that are important in the game.

Jase249

Aside from the already-stated maintaining a defensive army (I have no qualms about plundering someone who can't be bothered to post a defensive army, but I never plunder anyone who does) and collecting on time, one thing you can do is be active in the marketplace. I never attack anyone who I see making market deals since I don't want to upset a potential trade partner.

DeletedUser26175

You know, I've been lucky recently - I've been between #3 and #5 in my 'hood for the past several months. I attack for points and medals. I don't need some BA guys gold or supplies. If he leaves good lying around, I may pick them up... it's silly not to. But I was plundered when I was young, and I survived... we all do. It's a GAME, for Pete's sake. And as Jaelis pointed out, there are some LMA and higher players who don't understand defense - they've still got two spearfighters defending their advanced city. Go get 'em.

DeletedUser25171

Aside from the already-stated maintaining a defensive army (I have no qualms about plundering someone who can't be bothered to post a defensive army, but I never plunder anyone who does) and collecting on time, one thing you can do is be active in the marketplace. I never attack anyone who I see making market deals since I don't want to upset a potential trade partner.

Problem is, as a player who just entered Colonial, I am NOT a potential trade partner to the people in my hood who are in the Arctic Future, Future, Tomorrow, etc. I don't have anything they need, and fair trading is impossible. The neighborhood I arrived in today has 79 people over a million points, and six of us under 200K.

Jase249

Problem is, as a player who just entered Colonial, I am NOT a potential trade partner to the people in my hood who are in the Arctic Future, Future, Tomorrow, etc. I don't have anything they need, and fair trading is impossible. The neighborhood I arrived in today has 79 people over a million points, and six of us under 200K.

I didn't say it was foolproof, just one more card in the deck...

Also as I mentioned above, simply having a defensive army can prevent you from being plundered, even if they get defeated, because your attacker may very well be after PVP points and not your goods. That's what I do; I don't plunder people who put up their best defense, even if I do win the fight. There may be some confused folks in my neighborhood why I attack, defeat, then don't plunder. I just want to win the PvP tournament. I do plunder when the defense is two spearfighters just to make a point: defend your city! Some of your attackers may be of a similar mindset.

DeletedUser25171

I didn't say it was foolproof, just one more card in the deck...

Also as I mentioned above, simply having a defensive army can prevent you from being plundered, even if they get defeated, because your attacker may very well be after PVP points and not your goods. That's what I do; I don't plunder people who put up their best defense, even if I do win the fight. There may be some confused folks in my neighborhood why I attack, defeat, then don't plunder. I just want to win the PvP tournament. I do plunder when the defense is two spearfighters just to make a point: defend your city! Some of your attackers may be of a similar mindset.

I HAVE a defensive army--the best troops I have access to go to my City Watch FIRST, but I'm Colonial, and I'm being attacked from people in the Arctic Future. They have about as much to fear from my troops as Superman has to fear from a sudden attack by a bubble bath.

DeletedUser7289

First, I'll agree that unbalanced 'hoods have been a long standing problem that makes the game less fun for a lot of players. Having been on both sides of it, a 'balanced' hood is a lot more fun. Even when you lose, you feel like you can compete.
On V, I just landed in a "super hood", where I'm #67 and 18 of the top 20 on the world are now my neighbors. Not as much fun, but all the basic advice still applies: set the collection times for your important stuff for when you'll be able to collect. Produce more wherever you can, as it will hurt less when something gets plundered. Put up a solid defense, even though it will lose (if you wound the attacker enough, they may think twice about attacking you again). Aid all the folks who are way above you; some will aid back, and you may get BP's you can use in the future.
And keep forging forward! Even when you get plundered, you can still advance and hoods will change.

DeletedUser25171

You may wound the attacker enough to make them think twice???
What do you not understand about mechanized tanks with plasma blasters versus muskets and tomahawks? The best Colonial troops, even well-augmented by GBs in the home city are still throwing marshmallows at troops from the Arctic Future. The only danger they are in is that of busting a blood vessel from laughing so hard.

You were #67? I'm crushed for you. I'm #81. This doesn't make the game "less fun." It makes it unplayable on that world. And like I said before, this is simply a matchmaking issue HUNDREDS of online games don't run into this kind of imbalance, at least not on a regular basis.

Algona

You were #67? I'm crushed for you. I'm #81. This doesn't make the game "less fun." It makes it unplayable on that world.

Nuts. Who cares if their defence gets beat down? That has no affect on the city whatsoever.

Unless you are getting plundered? You're in Colonial, your city should be near plunder proof. If your city is 'unplayable' because of plundering you are doing something seriously wrong. Try reading and implementing the first post in this thread.

DeletedUser25171

Geez. Try READING before you comment. I said SEVERAL TIMES that I'm being plundered. I also said that I have a life, and can't always be there at 24:00:01.

DeletedUser9433

Geez. Try READING before you comment. I said SEVERAL TIMES that I'm being plundered. I also said that I have a life, and can't always be there at 24:00:01.
Then either participate in that life or play the game, easy solution really. Nothing you post here will stop your city from being plundered