• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

A Little Help From My Friends.....

DeletedUser27062

As you can see....I need some serious help with my layout. I don't have the room to play around with it in the game and I can't figure out what to do. I have virtually no military. I have a few goods buildings, but the stupid map hasn't given me ANY boosts! I'm in EMA and I have THREE BOOSTS! That's it! I'm constantly running out of goods because I have to use them to negotiate new lands.

GAHHHHHHHHHHH!

18033320_773344082834779_953222034320179508_n.jpg

DeletedUser25273

You should find two boosts in each era of the map. If you didn't get them, then you left some areas unexplored and pushed on too fast. You also have lots of old buildings in your town, most of which should be torn down and new versions built. Generally all my houses are of one type, what ever is most efficient for where I am, and my supply buildings are an assortment of the current age (or the previous age if I haven't gotten the new buildings yet).

DeletedUser27062

I'm working on the housing thing. I just don't wanna delete the ones I used diamonds for. My mistake, I know.

Algona

A few random thoughts.

Relax. Slow down, there is no hurry especially regarding the tech tree. FoE will wait for you. Figure out what you enjoy, then build your city to allow you to do that.

Never spend Diamonds on anything but Expansions.

Speaking of, Expansions are your friend. Check to see if you have any currently buildable, are close to any in tech, Medals, or Diamonds.

Square cities seem to work best. even if they are kinda boring to look at.

Don;t sweat military too much, start with just enough to get you through three GE Encounters. GE is a snowball effect, over time your capability to go farther in GE will increas with the size of your city and the units you collect and produce.

Are you in a Guild? If not join a good one. Expand your Friends list and Tavern seating and furnishings.

Start acquiring Great Building Blue Prints. Remember, friends don't let friends build Colosseum or Notre Dame.

Any questions?

DeletedUser27062

Great advice, thank you! I am in a guild, but they aren't all that great. They care more about GB building and GvE/GE. They don't help much outside of taking trades that I put up. Even that I got scolded for. Apparently they have their own form of trades I'm supposed to go by and I didn't know that, I just went off what I always have, the standard FoE ratio. I might make up my own guild.

DeletedUser27062

I'm on Arvahall. I have a little one on Beta and Brisgard, too but I don't play those much. The latter being the world I first started on and I really messed that one up with not knowing what I was doing. The Beta.....it's like a little one I work on when I don't want to be bothered by anyone. But this one, on Arvahall, that's my baby. How do I search for a guild that's around my age?

DeletedUser25273

If you bought a building with diamonds, keep it as long as it still is best, after an age or two, you can do better with what you can build normally.

DeletedUser

I'm constantly running out of goods because I have to use them to negotiate new lands.
I don't suggest negotiating the continent map. I might think different than most but build the housing that gives you the best population and coin regardless if you replace a premium building. Then build as much military as you can. That allows you to fight the map and hood. And then plunder. If you can plunder enough you don't need space for goods buildings.
Also, you might want to play around with re-arrange option. It appears you have some wasted space that can be better utilized.

DeletedUser27062

So here's the newest revamp. The area above the champion's rest is for military (for now). Supplies are above housing and goods are to the right. What do you guys think?

18057052_774103429425511_8577932411499097557_n.jpg

DeletedUser10806

My Golden rule is to minimize the number or roads. You have some buildings like tannery serviced by 2 roads.
Take a look at some of the cities in your hood and you'll probably find that the vast majority of buildings only touch one road. If you can design with this in mind you'll maximize space savings.

DeletedUser26154

What do you guys think?

Hello @Rhiki
I'm not the best city builder here, but I think you're doing alright.
Some tips I can offer:
Go for the houses with the largest population.
8 hour, then eventually 24 hour collection times.
Use as few decorations as possible, instead use cultural buildings.
Always upgrade your roads every era. [Do NOT use roads that cost Diamonds]
Premium Supply buildings and Premium Cultural buildings last for 3 eras before needing to be replaced.
Use as little roads as possible.

images (3).jpg

So far so good, and good luck to you.

DeletedUser26154

I don't suggest negotiating the continent map.

It gets real costly negotiating everything.
My city can produce 450+ goods a day, and negotiating can drain my resources if I go hog-wild.
I do combat as much as possible.
Gives me tower points, which gives me medals, and medals give me land expansions.
Negotiate only if it's a very hard fight you must get done that day.

Here's my city, right now, at the time of this writing.
I'm using a link to Postimage, so you can see my layout a lot better.

http://s13.postimg.org/5km0hsf7b/Praxis_4_23_2017.jpg

I have 15 goods production buildings.

Most of these buildings are alien to you, but you'll see how I have things arranged.
Unless a building is on an intersection, my buildings are touching only one road.
Keep things tight, no wasted space.
I have some empty space, but I have plans for it in the near future.

Also try to keep your city grid in a square or even rectangle.
Don't branch off with tangents of "arms" coming off your layout.

Put Great Buildings on the edges, so they use a minimum of roads.

bunny avatar pic.png

Keep in touch if you have any questions.

DeletedUser27062

My Golden rule is to minimize the number or roads. You have some buildings like tannery serviced by 2 roads.
Take a look at some of the cities in your hood and you'll probably find that the vast majority of buildings only touch one road. If you can design with this in mind you'll maximize space savings.

You're half right. That road behind the Tanneries only extends far enough to keep my King Statue alive.

DeletedUser26154

Why is that?

Those two are crappy Great Buildings.
Horrible benefits and payout for the amount of space they take.
Here's a list of what I call The Essential Great Buildings.
If it ain't here, you don't need it.
If it's here, you do need it at some point.

St. Mark's Basilica
Observatory
Castel del Monte [level to 10 eventually]
Royal Albert Hall
Tower of Babel
Lighthouse of Alexandria
Cathedral of Aachen [level to 10 eventually]
Temple of Relics [level 1 is fine]
Frauenkirche of Dresden
Alcatraz [as soon as you can get it, can't level it too much]
Zeus [level to 10 eventually]

Facebook-Could-this-be-true-2a1329.png

Others are luxury, literally out of your reach for a long time, or not worth it, when compared to what else can go in that space.

DeletedUser26154

This one, I classify as Luxury, others would call it Essential, and from their point of view, they would be right.

b9a334e2b5d1c438e08183bf0a106fc7.png

Save this link, it shows you all you need to know about Great Buildings.
Other useful links too.
You can also Google anything about this game.
Like "Forge of Empires [what ever you are curious about]"

http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Great_Buildings
http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Residential_Buildings
http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Cultural_Buildings
http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Production_Buildings

I always use Premium Cultural and Premium Supply buildings.
I always get the Diamond land expansions when ever available.
I negotiate only when absolutely necessary.

images (9).jpg

And I ask for help when I need it.

DeletedUser26154

apparently they have their own form of trades I'm supposed to go by

download.png

Fair Trade Calculator.
This is a hard sell, because the game automatically sets all trades as unfair, at Colonial Age and higher.

Once you get to Colonial Age and beyond, it's no longer a 1:2 trade.
The ratios change, according to the cost to produce.

https://www.forgeinfo.com/?l=tools&s=fairtrade

Here are three of the 13 pages of trades I posted, and had filled, during the 5th Anniversary event.
Chat was on fire with "I need this for the quest".

1.png

5.png

12.png

My Friends, Guildies and Neighbors love the Ardak Fair Trade Market.

[Done Editing.]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser26965

They care more about GB building and GvE/GE
I don't know about that guild but most top guilds will be that way and most guilds planning/trying to be like top guilds will also be that way so maybe a more casual guild will suit you unfortunately many of those I've run into that are casual with no requirements don't really do much or go anywhere.

Anyone post this city builder yet? Here ya go
http://foemanager.com/city-planner/app/

From your pics it looks like you're attempting some symmetry and aesthetics which don't really lend themselves too well in this game if you're going to try to be competitive at some point and be in a competitive guild someday.

Here are some tips, or general guidelines I follow for city design (everything of course is dependent on your playstyle and what you want out of the game):

1) Keep the city as square as possible
2) Put largest buildings on the outside perimeter
3) Attempt to make sure buildings are only touching one road (can't always be helped of course)
4) Have the shorter side of the building touching the road (can't always be helped of course)
5) Almost always have your current age buildings (you can sometimes get through an age without updating some things like residential or supplies production until you get to the next age but always have the current age goods buildings and trade down).
6) Always have your current age roads and have as few roads as possible
7) 1x1 Decorations are generally useless
8) Don't have empty space