• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

QUEST OVERVIEW

• Thread starter DeletedUser29247
  • Start date

DeletedUser28021

They did already explain it, old system couldn't have more than 2 quest conditions at once - like produce 2 excellent boots / 2 bear hides or pay coins/supplies.

With the new system there can be as many as 5 conditions to complete a quest and they are using this feature for Daily Challenges. The better the prize is, the more complicated the challenges are and sometimes you have to do 5 different things.

The new quest system enables all that.

How does reducing the number of independent quest windows, and forcing me to scroll to repeating quests enable presnting 2 quest conditions at once?

It seems to me that the above feature could have been implemented with no major UI changes. (A change in the UI for the individual quest might be required, but not need to combine into a scrollign mosntrosity.)

But I'm just a software engineer; what would I know about implementation difficulty?

DeletedUser28832

I can't make a video due to limits on what the forums allow.
I will document tomorrow's collection.
I've done that before in the 2017 Summer Event thread.
It's easy once you get the hang of it.

View attachment 7241

I love how you can turn off that "Are you sure" thing.

Ok, please document. What I'm hoping to see is; How many quests of which type using which buildings via PC/tablet, and how long that takes. My Colonial city is 70+ clockmakers (35+ times collect 2x turret clock (24hr)), 5 times through the collect 100k coins, 3-4 times collect supplies, and roughly 10-15 UBQ quests per day. Entire process took well less than 15 minutes. That's my rough benchmark.

DeletedUser28832

This new interface is a dream come true. I like it, and the heavy questers seem to hate it. Win-Win! :D

Why the jab? Exactly how does someone else's game strategy impact you?

If this is your dream, then more power to ya. No need to take jabs a other players.

DeletedUser28832

Give me a separate button for each quest, rather than making me scroll to the quest I want. And don't label all non-event quests "story quest" - my first thought was some bug had dropped abortable quests entirely.

And put a button to accept the selected quest somewhere near the button to abort it - don't make me move the mouse waaaayyyy up to click the x on the big scrolling window.

Then this new interface will actually be an improvement, as it gives the benefit of not having to click twice to abort a quest. (And buttons have text labels, which is a desirable UI feature. Too bad they are innaccurate.)

Other than that, it's not consistent with the rest of the UI, so I fear you are going to introduce more must-scroll windows with larger buttons elsewhere in the UI .. with the big buttons crowding out other buttons making useful features no longer directly accessible.

And if you must keep the scrolling nonsense, don't move a quest slot while I have the window open. If I just collected an abortable quest, which you had moved to the first slot because it was complete, leave the rest of those quests in that slot until I close the window. But better to give each set of quests its own window, as in the prior UI.

Oh yes, first that new GB window! Now this. Obviously there's a design framework at play. Be interesting to see exactly what the primary goals of their product improvement are. The 3 reasons given for this change were pretty weak IMHO.

DeletedUser28832

So you're saying the beta team is a bunch of lemurs? Does not bode well.
I don't have those problems and I do 3 Recurring quests at the same time.

View attachment 7236

Once you get use to the new interface, you'll notice it flows quicker.

You can turn that off now.
Best Improvement Ever.

4 out of 5 Lemurs prefer this new arrangement.

View attachment 7237

Let's hear from the one that doesn't.

And I see that you have 3 quests in view. Good for ya. My question is, how many of each of these quests do you complete at one time? I'm in Colonial and had been completing 50-70 individual quests at a sitting in less than 15 minutes. So, nice graphics (and who doesn't like a good Lemur pic), but actual data would be more persuasive.

DeletedUser28021

Just found another "improvement" - I can no longer get a precise reading on how many more coins I need to collect for a quest to collect 35K coins. I now can only see 34.4K instead of e.g. 34,427 This matters, if I want to know what things to collect to get my 35K with least wastage (over collection) - finishing the last little bit by motivating/polishing.

Yes, of course I can keep track separately, outside the game. But of course that's less convenient than the prior interface.

DeletedUser28970

This new interface is a dream come true. I like it, and the heavy questers seem to hate it. Win-Win! :D
Hey, Stephen, do you understand anything in 7 of the last 8 posts?
I don't understand any of it ... but they all sound as if playing the game, in general, is a terribly miserable experience for them ...
... to me at least that's what it sounds like.
I sort of like the game ... but then I'm just a sneaky no-good troublemaker ...
:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Why the jab? Exactly how does someone else's game strategy impact you?

If this is your dream, then more power to ya. No need to take jabs a other players.
Partially because the heavy questers have been whining for months (ever since they appeared, really) to get a new quest interface. Well, they got one. And it includes one of their most asked for features, the ability to turn off the abort confirmation. And they're still not happy. What really makes me laugh is the complaints about not knowing to the penny how many coins they've collected. I do the coin collecting quest in all 3 of my cities, and you don't have to be that precise. The present amount of information is sufficient for questing purposes.

DeletedUser

I don't understand any of it ... but they all sound as if playing the game, in general, is a terribly miserable experience for them ...
... to me at least.
I sort of like the game ... but I'm a sneaky troublemaker ...
Oh, I understand it. They apparently aren't happy because the new interface (that they've been asking for) doesn't fit their non-standard game playing as well as they'd like. I love it so far. Turned off the abort confirmation popup, and it works great!

DeletedUser28832

They did already explain it, old system couldn't have more than 2 quest conditions at once - like produce 2 excellent boots / 2 bear hides or pay coins/supplies.

With the new system there can be as many as 5 conditions to complete a quest and they are using this feature for Daily Challenges. The better the prize is, the more complicated the challenges are and sometimes you have to do 5 different things.

The new quest system enables all that.

Ok, so unlike the explanation given on News page, the reason for this change is to facilitate another 'feature'. Inno wants to get rid of the T Hunt and replace it with. Quest derivative. The old UI didn't meet their needs so they implemented a new one.

Why not be upfront about. Don't say you're fixing problems, when you're not. If you're changing the game based on some new grand framework, then be honest and transparent about it. However, that's not what happened here. ESPECIALLY if there was significant objections on beta. That's not customer service. That indicates an attitude that 'this is our game, we'll do whatever we feel like'. At least be honest.

lavty

And that's unfortunate, because there will be a portion of your user base for whom this update absolutely destroys their ability to enjoy the game. I honestly can't believe your beta team includes even one person in Industrial Age or lower who built their city, ad game play, around looping through recurring quests. The reasons given why this update was so crucial are all minor annoyances that really didn't affect game play (except maybe that annoying 'do you really want to abort' dialog).

This sure looks like solving a problem that didn't exist. Clearly the Inno team has a vision of their application that is based on factors that don't include ease of use, speed of game play.

Very unfortunate. I feel defeated...

DeletedUser28832

Partially because the heavy questers have been whining for months (ever since they appeared, really) to get a new quest interface. Well, they got one. And it includes one of their most asked for features, the ability to turn off the abort confirmation. And they're still not happy. What really makes me laugh is the complaints about not knowing to the penny how many coins they've collected. I do the coin collecting quest in all 3 of my cities, and you don't have to be that precise. The present amount of information is sufficient for questing purposes.

No argument there. I can understand if quester ask for something...get it...still complain. Completely agree no one should should expect to get everything they want. Inno has to find a framework for game play that meets their financial goals while appealing to the largest pool of players as possible. Again, no argument there.

However, this UI made collecting my Colonial city take over 45 minutes when it oreviously took less than 15. Can I get better over time, sure. Will I have a seizure by then from all the bouncing screen elements, I certainly hope not. This change was not made to solve the '3 issues' mentioned. It's obviously required for them to implement some other new upcoming feature. They could at least be honest about it.

DeletedUser28832

... to me at least that's what it sounds like.
I sort of like the game ... but then I'm just a sneaky no-good troublemaker ...
:rolleyes:

Again with the personal jabs. Are you a developer at Inno? Do you take personal offense when a player voices frustration with a change 'seemingly, coming from out of the blue?

DeletedUser31199

Oh no... New GB contribution window.... They finally implemented it....
th
Thank you for reading the changelog, please leave your feedback here.

Thank you, your Forge of Empires team. :)

It has been requested that I link the announcement.

I do not like the new display of Event and Quest icons. Before, I could, with extreme ease, see all the (few) icons and recognize immediately which one to click. Now you force us to open separate windows for each kind and then study those windows to find the single one of those kinds we want to click. Why would this be easier?

DeletedUser26120

If you're changing the game based on some new grand framework, then be honest and transparent about it. However, that's not what happened here.
That is in fact exactly what happened. They introduced Daily Challenges over at beta, old quest system couldn't fit more than 2 conditions for completing a quest.

So they put out a new quest system to accomodate Daily Challenges, which they did not roll out until the new quest system was in place on beta. Today I had to fight 4 battles, complete 8 8-hour productions, negotiate a sector, and activate 3 tavern boosts to complete my challenge.

That is 4 conditions which could not have been displayed all at once with the old quest screen.

DeletedUser30943

I think I must be playing a different game than the rest of you. This new quest interface is abysmal. Where before I could collect 35 clockmaker RQ's with 20+UBQ, and the few collect supply quests all in 10 min. Now, it's been 20 min and I've got a third of it done. WTF was wrong with the previous method? Why should I have to scroll through the store quest to see only 1 of my open RQ's? Why is the abort button not on the same screen as the quest topic? Why do I have to swipe instead of a much faster click? Why is this UI so huge that you can't see around it?

I simply can't believe that you have anyone on beta who uses a quest looping (HQS) strategy.

I do almost exclusively quest looping/HQS, and I love the new system. I scroll through RQs far faster now than I ever used to. What used to take me half an hour now takes me ten minutes. What on earth are you doing that it's the reverse for you?

lavty

No argument there. I can understand if quester ask for something...get it...still complain. Completely agree no one should should expect to get everything they want. Inno has to find a framework for game play that meets their financial goals while appealing to the largest pool of players as possible. Again, no argument there.

However, this UI made collecting my Colonial city take over 45 minutes when it oreviously took less than 15. Can I get better over time, sure. Will I have a seizure by then from all the bouncing screen elements, I certainly hope not. This change was not made to solve the '3 issues' mentioned. It's obviously required for them to implement some other new upcoming feature. They could at least be honest about it.

The time consuming part now is a huge downside to me as I play multiple worlds. Unfortunately I will have to quit playing GE on all worlds except my main and only collecting and aiding on the other 18 or so. I like playing GE, but I just won't be able to keep up with the goods needed. It is too bad.