• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

How many coins and supplies to stockpile?

DeletedUser31778

As I see my coins and supplies stockpile steadily increase, I wonder if they become "infinite resources" - something I can never run out of and therefore of very little value. When I ask in guild chat what to do with the 20M coins and 20M supplies I have stockpiled in ME, the answer I always get is "buy FPs". I find that answer unsatisfying because that only makes the next FP more expensive, plus I ran the numbers; if I liquidated my entire stockpile I'd have enough FPs to upgrade one GB by one level. Plus I end up with a huge stockpile of supplies still.

Then I found Cosmic Raven's heavy questing guide and realized what I should have been doing with excess coins and production - looping the unbirthday quest (UBQ) to convert them into refined goods, medals, diamonds, BPs, and FPs. Being that I just got that memo, I'm thinking I should go on a huge liquidation sale. Is that a good idea, and how close to zero should I go?

DeletedUser26965

As close as you're willing to. But yeah it depends, my playstyle swings heavily on frequent city design changes which requires 10's of millions of c/s so I like to always keep a good reserve of both, for other players they got so much they could probably do a million unbirthday quests, go to 0 and be fine with it. Just depends on your playstyle, long term outlook and what you may want to do at any given point; events, Daily Challenges etc. I suppose.

Freshmeboy

Hey Steve..I wouldn't liquidate my supply of res but would just add the UBQ to my regular loop of RC's..the supply and gold reward for the UBQ is always less than the amount paid, so you will get a steady attrition rate on resources over time. It's a long term game, so why rush a resource loss if it isn't necessary...?

DeletedUser26154

I wonder if they become "infinite resources" - something I can never run out of and therefore of very little value.

No, because quests call for gathering coins and supplies, and you will do those quests forever.

6aa552205c697be79992a90d7c3b7742.png

Is that a good idea, and how close to zero should I go?

@sloppyjoeslayer and I both have cities in Ocean Future.

images (5).jpg

We know what the end-game is like.

could probably do a million unbirthday quests

That's how you spend your excess coins and supplies.

DeletedUser31778

Thanks, I'm starting to put together a picture, but I could use a bit more clarity.
Hey Steve..I wouldn't liquidate my supply of res but would just add the UBQ to my regular loop of RC's..the supply and gold reward for the UBQ is always less than the amount paid, so you will get a steady attrition rate on resources over time. It's a long term game, so why rush a resource loss if it isn't necessary...?
I already do that and it still slowly builds the stockpiles. Why rush the attrition? Because building the stockpiles forever gets me nothing, but rushing the attrition gets me FPs, BPs, goods, medals, diamonds - stuff I can actually use now.
We know what the end-game is like.
How very mysterious; care to elaborate? I guess that's what I'm asking. Let's say I spend it down to 5M of each - is there something just around the corner that's going to require 6M of each, causing a severe case of face-palm? Or is my trend up to Modern Age likely to continue - that I need a few million on hand for expansions, building refreshes, and whatnot, but overall it's going to be steady growth so to not spend is to waste? It sounds like a wise decision to pick a target value - 5M is what I threw out there - and loop the UBQ such that I hold at that target value, then proceed with the rest of the loop. I guess I'm asking for guidance at how to decide what that target value should be.

DeletedUser26154

How very mysterious; care to elaborate?

It's not too bad.
I would keep a few million supplies on hand all the time.
Maybe a few million coins, too.
Anything above that, spend on Unbirthday quests.

Unless you are planning on laying new roads or doing a massive rebuild.

download (8).jpg

Then save up for that.

DeletedUser31778

Awesome! Then that's just what I'll do! Burn my 20M down to 5M, enjoy the massive payout, then try to hold 5M steady for a while and see how it goes. I think that's low enough risk - I no longer have to repave roads since I have all the happiness I need with no cultural buildings. And I do a massive rebuild exactly once per age, planned out in advance. Because that's when the roads and buildings change shape.

DeletedUser31592

That is what a CF is for. Level it high enough and you can do infinite UBQs. Or, rather, you can UBQ until your finger dies.

DeletedUser31778

Interesting. I wondered what that was for. Here I'm sitting on 68 BPs - enough to build it and level it three times. Perhaps it's time I find space for it. If I understand the questing concept correctly, I do that by blowing away my three goods producing buildings and my last high-rise. I should think that after my happy unbirthday tomorrow I'll have plenty of refined ME goods to hold me over.

Wait no! Silly rabbit, get the CF before the unbirthday liquidation sale! You guys are wise in the ways of optimizing.

DeletedUser27184

1. CF is awesome. Buy it and level it. It gives you back a LOT, even if you don't go and do tons of unbirthday parties (UBQ in short). Its just a good GB to build.
2. If you read the HQS, apply it in your city and start doing it. ME is great for HQS. I have a city in ME who I run it now for half a year and get hugh amounts of goods/medals.
3. OTOH, I would turn the gold to FP directly. There are several reasons IMO:
A. Too many abort cycles with the UBQ. I can live with the HQS and about 30-40 quests for a day. But that's my limit.
B. Lets say you turn all your money through UBQ. You will have around 230 UBQ's to run. About 17 of them will give you 5 FP. that's around 100 FP's. On the other hand, you can have probably 350-450 FP directly from gold.
C. While gold is easy to get, supplies relatively gets harder to get. I like to save supplies for the coming advances. I have over 100M supplies now, so it means I don't have to invest in future supply buildings for at least 2 eras in advancement. Most of those buildings are quite big and need 2space road (I hate 2space road).
D. You will get all the goods and medals from the HQS anyway. I work now on the 200k medal expansion, as the medals flow in.
E. I love FP's.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser26154

Here I'm sitting on 68 BPs - enough to build it and level it three times.

The first set of Blueprints will construct the Great Building and work all the way until level 10 is completed.
After that you will need one full set of blueprints for every level.
You get blueprints by doing Forge Point contributions to other's same Great Buildings.
And in the game too, but those are random drops and not specific.

download (5).jpg

Work on getting your Main Great Buildings to 10, then we'll go from there.

DeletedUser26965

I guess I'm asking for guidance at how to decide what that target value should be.
Like I said earlier that will depend on your playstyle, what you want to do in the game etc. The faster you do research the faster you'll need more coins, supplies, fp's and goods, but no matter what speed you do research while doing it if you do any of the following; PvP, GvG, GE, Continent Map, Events, Daily Challenges(not released on Live fully yet) and Story/Side/Bonus/Recurring Quests then you'll need more coins, supplies, fp's and goods.

Here is a link for Research costs by Age/Era: https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Research

But of course that is just the cost for research, then there's the cost for:
And depending on how often you demolish/rebuild any of those things will also have to be factored in.

Nothing in the game is going to be way out of line with the general progression, the is, if you're in Iron Age a quest, tech or whatever is not suddenly going to cost 10,000,000 coins but it certainly adds up the further you go along through the game and the more you want to do and how quick you want to do it all.