• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Disallow the Ability to Build a Great Building beyond your Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsuero

^^ This ^^

You gotta love this post. She reads the proposal, goes right to the vote, skips all the nonsense in between. +1 for Ravia the Kind.

We all did that initially. We were then engaged and "the rest" ensued as a result. That's the nature of a discussion... even though this one was based entirely on bull.

Freshmeboy

Gotta admit...the most hairball idea in 2018 spawned `12 pages of nonsense and rebuttal as well as an independent thread that poked fun at itself....Guess you need a couple of these things a year to keep the forum lively.....

DeletedUser31882

I'd vote yes...

If it was a new challenge for a new server. If so, I'd vote for the mechanics being the GB can only be built once the player reaches the tech era of that GB. Goods can still be obtained, but I have flakey feelings on the BPs. If it is 'tech' locked, why/how could the BPs be stored and understood? Then again, limiting BPs would slow down GB construction. Then again again, that would be a good incentive for people on the challenge server to spend diamonds once the 1st BP is obtained... I digress.

Assuming this would be applied to all current servers, it should be an obvious no. Practically speaking.

The proposal isn't feasible without an absurd amount of planning, work hours and inevitable bugs. Would the Prime Directive dictate that all FPs gained from Arc owners be vaporized or placed into a time capsule? Same for all goods obtained by DT (including the coveted BA goods)? A LMA city using the workforce of an Inno, what will happen when the people are in cyro, yet the 'approved' buildings are still in the city? All Rain Forest BPs and Seed Vault diamonds whisked into a vault? All Battle points obtained thanks to the help of The Kraken, held by a retainer?

Now to catch up on the 11 pages of civil discussion that Surly ensued from this well thought out and not-at-all troll bait(ing?) proposal.

Edit @End of Page 2: Huh. So this is what it feels like to beat a dead horse when coming into a thread late. 8 pages to go... Thought: A lot hinges on the exploit assumption. I'm guessing that gets sufficiently argued in 8 pages.

Edit @Finale: That was a hellva thing. A small part of me (The Sn part) wants to believe in the 'it's all a hoax troll'. I mean, Prime directive, locking away technology ahead of your 'tech tree'. Secret Star Trek fan with an elaborate troll to birth a meme?

Too bad my Occam's razor foils that. Regardless, what a wild ride. I guess my original argument is outdated so I better update it.

I'd vote no.

As written, it would rob Inno of easy revenue. I can see the beginnings of an argument of future tech GBs being an exploit, but reject the evidence used to support it as strong enough to justify the proposal. I see the current state as 'normal' rather than an exploitative state.

That was before other forum users brought other evidence forward. That evidence seems solid enough to favor the argument that the current GB situation is, at the very least, tacitly approved of by the devs. At best, it was designed with full cardinal knowledge to maximize revenue. I think the stronger 'exploit' argument would be in regards to Inno's business practices... But that is less Prime Directive and more Rules of Acquisition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volodya

A small part of me (The Sn part) wants to believe in the 'it's all a hoax troll'. I mean, Prime directive, locking away technology ahead of your 'tech tree'. Secret Star Trek fan with an elaborate troll to birth a meme?

Too bad my Occam's razor foils that. Regardless, what a wild ride.

Don't forget this guy's name. I don't think this was ever a "serious" proposal or discussion; I think it was a kind of performance art from the get go. He's probably busy writing a witty condescending term paper as we speak: Credulity or credibility: An experiment in online persona-building.

I think he's gone and won't be back.

DeletedUser31207

First off I will be surprised if I get any yeah votes for this because frankly I doubt this suggestion is going to be at all popular. Heck I kind of like the exploit myself but when I look at it in the light of the Prime Directives put down by the Game Designers for proposals this one blatantly exploits a loophole that I feel ought to be stitched up.

Proposal

Still allow the acquisition of Great Building Blue Prints from any age but make one of the requirements of building the Great Building to be that the player must either be of the Age of that Great Building and/or perhaps the Age just before it.

Current System

By networking with other higher level players and/or one of your own accounts that is much higher level. You can farm for Blueprints for buildings way in advance of your current Age. Then via this same mechanism build said building regardless of what Age you are in. Applies to Iron Age and up only of course.

Abuse Prevention

This whole proposal is about current abuse prevention. Currently the system as it is allows for great abuse of building Great Buildings before their time making the game not just easier but extremely easier and greatly benefitting players who are either using multi-accounts or have created a mutual network. It also helps folks create Diamond Farming Cities whose only purpose is to greatly increase their Diamond production thus making the game easier and them richer which is a different matter and another current exploit that I am not sure how best to handle.

This proposal is designed to close the currently exploitable loop-hole that allows an Iron Age player to build The Kraken for instance. The concept here is both mechanical and esthetical. It is sort of like building an automobile before gasoline is invented for without the gasoline you would simply have a metal carriage that would still need to be pulled by actual horses thus making it less pratical than a lighter wooden one of that Age but for some reason the mere building of the automobile makes everything else you need to operate that automobile suddenly available. Okay so you have The Kraken do you have all the things you would need to maintain and operate that Kraken well if you are in the Iron Age I would highly doubt it.

Lastly it would stop the exploit that makes the game not just easier but extremely easier by letting players have access to certain great buildings far before they ought to have access to them without disallowing them to collect the Blueprints in preparation for building that Great Building once they advanced to a more appropriate age for building it.

I look forward to any constructive comments on this. Does anyone feel it ought be limited just to the Age of the Great Building or greater or is one Age prior sufficient restriction to significantly curtail this horribly abused exploit?

Nope. But, how about GBs that are more useful in the lower ages. If you are actually in the Artic or Oceanic age why do you need all the benefits that the GBs from those ages produce. This is the reason players work to gain GBs ahead of their age, because the ones in their age are useless. Why do you need a GB inthe Artic era to dramatically increase your fighting abilities while players in lower ages are getting killed. All the advacned age GBs overaly help the advanced age players abuse the lower age players. Make things more fair. Move the traz down a few ages so newer players can fight more.

This game is so slow it needs more to benefit the newer and lower age players. Move more GBs down to lower eras that make FPs. This will help newer players advance. Too many of the GBs for the advanced eras only provide benfits that are no longer needed at that level..

DeletedUser36720

I’m new to FoE of the last few weeks and I get what you’re saying and response of others. I found one blueprint to Capital building in Middle Ages and used diamonds to build it haha. I needed space & population. If anything I feel like it’s helping me catch up to players that have been playing for years.

DeletedUser34800

I’m new to FoE of the last few weeks and I get what you’re saying and response of others. I found one blueprint to Capital building in Middle Ages and used diamonds to build it haha. I needed space & population. If anything I feel like it’s helping me catch up to players that have been playing for years.

1. You're not catching up to players that have been playing for years with The Capitol. They're so far away from you, you don't even know they're playing.

2. The OP made this thread as an absolute joke, because they are a known massive forum troll. The devs have already stated that part of the games challenge is acquiring and building higher age GBs, and managing space for them.

3. This thread needs to get locked down so it can sink and die in the depths of the forums, right where it belongs. Or just deleted and tossed in the trash.

Anyways, welcome to the forum and FoE.

DeletedUser31592

1. You're not catching up to players that have been playing for years with The Capitol. They're so far away from you, you don't even know they're playing.

2. The OP made this thread as an absolute joke, because they are a known massive forum troll. The devs have already stated that part of the games challenge is acquiring and building higher age GBs, and managing space for them.

3. This thread needs to get locked down so it can sink and die in the depths of the forums, right where it belongs. Or just deleted and tossed in the trash.

Anyways, welcome to the forum and FoE.

A little harsh for no reason.

@Tim the Wise 15 - While you will never catch up to the top players (even in new worlds, you are quickly left behind by the big spenders), a Capitol at an early age will provide you a solid foundation. It can definitely help set you above the majority of players in your era. Please keep asking questions and learning the game :)

DeletedUser34800

No question was asked. They posted in an old thread that didn't need to be created in the first place, but whatever.

Emberguard

It certainly does provide a lot more space :D

My first city I've never skipped ahead in the ages for building GBs and have not found any population problems until around colonial/industrial where the Capitol comes along anyway.

That being said if I had built the Capitol way earlier it would have definitely allowed me to advance a lot faster in the game by squeezing so much more into the city.

So it's a bit of a perspective thing as to whether or not one "needs [more] space and population". It'll always be nice to be able to manage more stuff in the city, doesn't really mean you need it straight away.

Although that does bring to mind a question.... how do you choose your housing? Are you using the highest population building for your age or are you only choosing based on coin output? I completely skipped the Babel until Colonial age and did not miss it, but for the first 10 lvls it does retain the same population value as the tech tree housing option upto the end of Colonial Age where lvl 10 is the equivalent as the same amount of houses. It's just a matter of whether you'd want to spend the FPs on it at all and whether you build it right away or wait until you've got a higher disposable FP income. For me it's more about the goods then the population at the current state of my city

The one thing I'd advise with using those higher up GBs for housing, make sure you've got a coin income. It could be another GB, but you'll need to make sure you have a coin income from something if you're eliminating all your houses with the capitol so early in the game

DeletedUser37331

I know this has been discussed heavily - so my response is simple - NO. This would remove the option of staying in iron age. Or any other age for that matter. You would be required to age up.

Status
Not open for further replies.