• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Learning the battlefield

ol man Rufus

I am relatively new to FoE but also a "long timer" in age. I suck at attacking either PvP or GE. I've tried to find examples on YouTube but most videos are of a later time involving troops I am not familiar.

Does any one have a link to a video or an article that can help me learn the "how too", particularly with early troops of the Iron/Early Middle Age level. I don't know how to plan: I get a warrior on a horse beside a lessor foot soldier and still lose: even my archers get beat. I don't know how to read the display at the bottom of the screen.
I need help so I can enjoy this aspect of the game and support my Guild.

Thanks
RufusXZ

DeletedUser3882

@RufusXZ
1) Are you using a Mobile App or playing on a PC/browser? I only ask because browser is *much* easier in seeing the movement and attack range of all the units as you hover your mouse. Mobile is simply easier to access, but lacks, ummmmm, “depth” in many aspects :)

2) Google is your friend, but sticking to the official means, here’s a link to the FoE wiki site’s military basics. Pay attention to the different unit types, buffs, and special skills.
https://en.wiki.forgeofempires.com/index.php?title=Army_and_battles
Each unit has a bonus vs another unit type and further bonus on certain terain (hills, trees, etc...). Learning these attributes and using them correctly is a big part of the strategy. It’s not always easy and a difficult battle can be compared to a game of chess!

3) Quickest search for a video I could find, but here’s one of literal thousands! Iron Age GvG but shows what’s up...

ol man Rufus

Oh thank you heybo, very much!!
I use my PC most of the time but I also log in on my Mobile for time sensitive stuff if I am mobile LOL :confused:

Thanks for the searching tip. I was probably using the wrong terminology.

Rufusxz

ol man Rufus

No rogues; I'm not sure what a rogue troop looks like. Just normal troops available in the Bronze and Iron ages.

You get to set up defences late in the Iron Age period after finishing Military Tactics on the tree. However, as I didn't know what I was (am) doing on the battlefield, I wasn't inclined to get involved with fighting.

wolfhoundtoo

No rogues; I'm not sure what a rogue troop looks like. Just normal troops available in the Bronze and Iron ages.

You get to set up defences late in the Iron Age period after finishing Military Tactics on the tree. However, as I didn't know what I was (am) doing on the battlefield, I wasn't inclined to get involved with fighting.

Look at heybo. the guy in the cloak is a rogue you can win them from events and GE. You can also make them if you win a rogue hideout in an event (or daily challenges). Assuming you have at least one nonrogue unit in your army (that isn't dead) when they are attacked they convert to another unit. So if you have 1 real unit and 7 rogues you would end up with 8 units of the type of that one real unit you utilized. In other words if you had 1 ballista and 7 rogues when the rogues are attacked they will convert to a ballista. If there are no nonrogue units in your army left, the rogues die from one hit..

DeletedUser3882

Look at heybo. the guy in the cloak is a rogue

I’m a Rogue?!? Oooooo! That means I can change into you!! (But I don’t know what I’d do as a big question mark?)

All this time, I just thought I was damned ugly and needed this hood sneaking around sniping and plunderin’ and whatnot to keep from breaking mirrors or scaring cats out of their fur...

DeletedUser35753

Check out the foehints channel on YouTube. Lately he's posted lots of videos of early age fighting. Tons of tactics and explanation.

DeletedUser15539

Unfortunately, the only way I know how to learn how to fight in FOE is to step up to the plate, and get your backside handed to you on a platter a couple of hundred times.
That being said, there are a few points I'd like to make. Fighting in FOE is similar to the child's game of rock paper scissors, except that there are five categories instead of three. If you know what type of units the enemy has (continent map) you can choose yours accordingly. Otherwise (PvP, and usually in GE) you will have to guess. Don't hesitate to hit surrender if you guessed wrong or if the terrain is bad.
Depending on the enemy slate (no artillery or ranged) it may be to your advantage to let the enemy come to you, so you can destroy them piecemeal at 3:1 odds in your favor instead of the other way around.
Building and leveling up the military great buildings is a smart move before getting heavily involved in combat. Having a high boost reduces the need for brilliant tactics.

DeletedUser

If you know what type of units the enemy has (continent map) you can choose yours accordingly. Otherwise (PvP, and usually in GE) you will have to guess.
To clarify, attacking another player and attacking an undamaged army in GvG are the only two times you have to guess what the enemy army is comprised of. On the Continent Map and in Guild Expedition and in the defeat small/medium/large army quests in Daily Challenges, you always know what the enemy has.

Jern2017

I believe the Guild Expedition is the best way to learn fighting.

It gradually gets more difficult. You'll be able to see how far you can go with your current setup. In the first difficulty, you only fight troops an age below yours. Depending on the age you're in, your opponents may also have a certain amount of attack and defense boost. Anyway, a big advantage over PVP is that you can see which units you're up against and choose yours accordingly (for example, if the opponent has an army full of artillery units, you send out your fast units).

You never said if you have any military Great Buildings, like the Statue of Zeus or Cathedral of Aachen, but if you want to fight, I definitely suggest you get a decent attack/defense boost. Because the GE gets increasingly more difficult with two wave battles and enemy units having a defense/attack boost and you will encounter neighbors with these bonuses as well, you'll only be able to get so far without military GBs.

Another piece of advice I have (and again, this is just my opinion. Certain people don't believe in defending their city) is: if you start PVP, i.e. attacking your neighbors, get a defensive GB and some special buildings that provide defense, like Watchfires and Ritual Flames.

You can sometimes get a Watchfire or Tiger's Den in daily challenges. They give your defending army some defense bonus, while defensive GBs give your army both a defense and an attack boost.

Lastly, as other people before me have mentioned, Rogues are an amazing unit if used properly. You can get them from Daily Challenges, events and the GE. You can also win a Rogue Hideout (a training camp for Rogues) from a certain DC or the Challenger's Chest which you can open after you've completed 7 daily challenges.

The best way for me to use them is to fight with 7 Rogues and one regular unit. I move that unit to the farthest upper left corner, away from the reach of enemy units. I then advance with Rogues. They ignore the first hit and transform into the regular unit I keep behind. Note that you can only train two Rogues in one Rogue Hideout without spending diamonds to unlock other spots, so until you get the Alcatraz a GB that gives you military units, this tactic won't be possible.

For now, just try to get as many Rogue Hideouts as possible, build and level military GBs, use an attacker boost in your tavern if need be and practice fighting in the GE. Experiment with different units, learn about their advantages and disadvantages and most importantly, have fun.