• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Winter Event 2018

RaveWolf

Has anyone determined if it is possible to get all 12 upgrades without spending?

First off, this has never been a "Pay to Win" game... I have completed about 90% of all the quests I've done since 2015.
Sometimes it just comes down to luck, or the circumstances of your game play, timing, city layout.
You need to research all the requirements to complete the Event(s) before the event even starts, and plan or prepare accordingly.

Some of them can be tough, just plan ahead, ask questions, and worst case scenario, you may have to sacrifice other buildings or put them in storage temporarily. Also hold back on your daily duties like GE, Taking sectors, scouting and Aiding, etc.

DeletedUser35195

The Fandom wiki estimates an approximately 96% chance of getting all the upgrades if you finish the questline. This includes extra stars you’ll need in addition to the questline that you get from opening presents and scoring the 14 star present, +10 with a shuffle, or +3 with a view two.

Zatrikon

The Candle thing isn't really interesting at all. I'm happy for the extra prizes, but since you get the series of prizes in order, there's no point to saving up matches. So they might as well just automatically light 1-3 candles every time you open a gift.

DeletedUser35836

This is my first Winter Event and I also don’t like that there is virtually no control over the shuffle. Once you get want you want in a group of presents you should be able to shuffle immediately and not hav to hunt for it,

There was more control with the wheel refresh in the Summer Event. I will play this event to the end because I want some watchfires but overall this event is pretty “meh” compared to the previous 4 events I have played in, also wish there were larger FP rewards, also prettty weak vs, the Fall Event.

DeletedUser32824

This is my first Winter Event and I also don’t like that there is virtually no control over the shuffle. Once you get want you want in a group of presents you should be able to shuffle immediately and not hav to hunt for it,

There was more control with the wheel refresh in the Summer Event. I will play this event to the end because I want some watchfires but overall this event is pretty “meh” compared to the previous 4 events I have played in, also wish there were larger FP rewards, also prettty weak vs, the Fall Event.
Just wait till you open like 4/5ths of the gifts and getting the shuffle BEFORE you get the daily special. Happened to me last year and it was pretty infuriating.

mamboking053

I was wondering how the shuffle thing worked...

I don't like the presents too...so far. I was hoping that the variety would improve as the event moved on, but I was guessing the presents are mostly filler- just something to toss at you as you make your way to the Daily Prize. So far I've only seen two different spreads and each had only two items of interest (if you count a fragment as an whole item). So you have about a 1/18 chance to get a good item and a 1/9 chance if you count the fragment of an item as an item. These chances worsen if you have the misfortune of finding the shuffle before you find the item.

SInce you're gathering stars and should use'em or lose'em, I think it's best to ignore the presents, consider getting anything worthwhile a bonus, and just concentrate on the Daily Specials. As someone already posted working your way through the Dailies will automatically push you through the tree.

mamboking053

I am curious though...

Statistically, how many tries has it taken each one of your to get a good prize from the spread? (I guess "good" is subjective though...)

Zatrikon

The Christmas event is always a crapshoot. There's always a random selection of prizes, most of which are worthless. They could just give you a random prize, without requiring you to pick one blindly. But the blind selection allows for the "eye" prize that reveals two. Than, on the outside chance that one of those two is actually good, you can pick it. Or if not, you'll at least know to avoid those.

But there will always be those disappointing cases:

• You just keep getting the crappy prizes (coins, supplies, "special" military units, etc.), and just don't get anything good.
  • You accumulate lots of stars to clear out the prizes to guarantee yourself the good ones, but then before you get the jackpot, you get the reshuffle and have to start over.
  • You get the x2 prize, and then get coins. (Happened to me just today.)
  • You get the x2 prize, but you've run out of stars and can't use it.
  • You get the "Show 2" prize, but run out of stars so you can't benefit from the info.
  • etc.
It happens to us all. That's the way these events work. But once in a while, you might actually get something really good.

mamboking053

The Christmas event is always a crapshoot. There's always a random selection of prizes, most of which are worthless. They could just give you a random prize, without requiring you to pick one blindly. But the blind selection allows for the "eye" prize that reveals two. Than, on the outside chance that one of those two is actually good, you can pick it. Or if not, you'll at least know to avoid those.

• You just keep getting the crappy prizes (coins, supplies, "special" military units, etc.), and just don't get anything good.
  • You accumulate lots of stars to clear out the prizes to guarantee yourself the good ones, but then before you get the jackpot, you get the reshuffle and have to start over.
  • You get the "Show 2" prize, but run out of stars so you can't benefit from the info.
  • etc.
It happens to us all. That's the way these events work. But once in a while, you might actually get something really good.

Cool. I don't really mind the events since I'm getting stars just for completing quests- use'em or lose'em. Plus I think it's just better to ignore them and just feed the tree, get your Spire, and whatever else you get on the way is bonus.

DeletedUser26656

after opening the first few gifts i got the one i was looking for!!
the bad part is you must . either find the shuffle or not go on any further!!!!
i did an experiment to see if i was correct . yes i was, sadly i had to open ALL 20 presents to find the shuffle!!
what a waste!!
bottom line is 12 average to open each gift
2 on stars from quests and 1,000 diamonds to get the rest . this is per good (prize you want) average!!
what a total rip off not worth it! super greedy!! super Grinchy too!!
i guess they don't have the Christmas spirit of giving.. its a shame.
i will just use the stars and NOT spend no diamonds as i had intended to . forget the new build too! you can not get it with out spending a lot of diamonds!
i will just work on my cape and defense gb to compensate the difference..
very sad over all it could have been great!!

RazorbackPirate

after opening the first few gifts i got the one i was looking for!!
the bad part is you must . either find the shuffle or not go on any further!!!!
i did an experiment to see if i was correct . yes i was, sadly i had to open ALL 20 presents to find the shuffle!!
what a waste!!
bottom line is 12 average to open each gift
2 on stars from quests and 1,000 diamonds to get the rest . this is per good (prize you want) average!!
what a total rip off not worth it! super greedy!! super Grinchy too!!
i guess they don't have the Christmas spirit of giving.. its a shame.
i will just use the stars and NOT spend no diamonds as i had intended to . forget the new build too! you can not get it with out spending a lot of diamonds!
i will just work on my cape and defense gb to compensate the difference..
very sad over all it could have been great!!
You get a level 12 Winter Spire if you complete all of the quests. I'm not sure what the complaint of super greedy and whatnot is about.

DeletedUser35836

Just wait till you open like 4/5ths of the gifts and getting the shuffle BEFORE you get the daily special. Happened to me last year and it was pretty infuriating.

Oh, that has happened quite a few times and it is infuriating.

DeletedUser35195

I am curious though...

Statistically, how many tries has it taken each one of your to get a good prize from the spread? (I guess "good" is subjective though...)

I haven’t kept track well enough to say more than this: I received 4 daily specials from the 10 trees I’ve completed.

DeletedUser32824

I think I'm going to be saving my stars until either SOKs pop up again or maybe I can hoard some sleigh builders for future ages.

RazorbackPirate

I think I'm going to be saving my stars until either SOKs pop up again or maybe I can hoard some sleigh builders for future ages.
This is my strategy at this point. I blasted though over half of the quests on day one and picked up a few more SoKs in both of my cities. Now I'll wait for the other Event buildings to come up. I'd like to get one of each, even if just to collect, but like you, I would like a few Sleigh Builders for later ages. I don't know that I'll need them, but you can't go back in time so now's the time to get them.

DeletedUser35560

• etc.
I've gotten the x2 prize the day before the daily prize was the HoF, and I got 2 of them on the first try.

RazorbackPirate

I remember all the socks sweaters and underwear i got .... are those the types of presents you refer ?
This is how I've been thinking about the lesser presents. If only for you to have a few more presents to unwrap, sometimes you get stuff you would have gotten anyway had it not been Christmas. I have no complaints. I'm getting some cool stuff for free. So what if I get a few pairs of socks along the way.