• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

RazorbackPirate

Just want to come in here to give @UBERhelp1 and anyone else a heads up that beta has 'fixed' the final settlement quest to require 1200 diplomacy along with 4 (down from 6) goods buildings. Both of these conditions must be met at the same time, so deleting diplomacy buildings to make room for the goods will no longer work once this change reaches the live servers.

EDIT: Completing the quest this way requires at least 8 expansions to be placed (plus the 4 you start with) for 50 clan totems, 3 huts, and 4 mead breweries.

If you instead use old willows and clan houses, in exchange for the much longer build time you only require 5 expansions for 1 clan house, 1 shack, 4 axes/beast hunters, and 11 willows plus 2 runestones.

However, I can't imagine there being enough time at the end of later settlements to afford the 8-hour build time and still reach gold. Plus, if you're reaching gold it's likely you've already placed a lot of expansions anyway so you have space to use for the 1-hour buildings. It is quite remarkable though how much space you could save with the 8-hour ones. 187 squares total for the 1-hour build (embassy included), but only 135 for 8-hour!
Good info, but until it hits the live servers, we don't know if it will come to the US servers. We've seen in other threads the EN server has different completion requirements, for all we know this change is headed there.

This is one of many reasons why Spoilers such as this are discouraged on forums other than the Beta Forum. It's also the reason why there are Spoiler Tags. While it's always fun to be the first with the 'news', I'd appreciate it if folks would stop posting Spoilers (from to root 'to spoil') to the Forum and wait for announcements to be made before Spoiling.

UBERhelp1

Well, I'll hold out on editing that part of the guide until we find out whether this change is coming to US servers, but thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye out.

UBERhelp1

Well, it looks like @qaccy was right, we now have to have both 1200 diplomacy and 4 cultural goods buildings. Guide updated accordingly. If I missed a spot where it mentions that, please tell me.

Super Catanian

Don't want to sound picky, but the chart at the beginning of Part 3 could use a spoiler of its own.
Very well written proposal, though! I look forward to more content from you. :)

DeletedUser27468

may I ask which one should I choose : expand to spaces with no impediments but sacrificing overall shape (rectangle) or spaces with impediments?
expanding to spaces with no impediments can result unused space or more roads need to build
thanks

UBERhelp1

may I ask which one should I choose : expand to spaces with no impediments but sacrificing overall shape (rectangle) or spaces with impediments?
expanding to spaces with no impediments can result unused space or more roads need to build
thanks
It all depends on your configuration. Will the impediments block most of the space available? Is it close to roads? Etc. That choice is up to you. And you don't need a rectangle city to complete the settlements. Sometimes it helps, but most of mine end up not being rectangular.

DeletedUser36624

I wouldn't want my final configuration to have a 1x1 block sticking out like a sore thumb. There's almost nothing you could put in a space like that and not waste space worse than an impediment. That said, impediments on the outside edge are easier to deal with, so if taking one of those gets you to a better configuration in the long run, I'd seriously consider it.

RazorbackPirate

Any time you can only put something on only one side of a road, you're wasting space. I'd rather lose 4 or 5 squares over an entire grid, then 3 or 4 squares on almost every 4x4 square.

Super Catanian

Here is my strategy for the Settlements:
If you feel that there are too many impediments in or close to the starting zone, just solve it until Quest 5 and abandon it, giving you 25 FP. Repeat.
If the majority of impediments are far away from the starting zone, then you can complete it all the way and collect all deserved rewards.

DeletedUser36624

Here is my strategy for the Settlements:
If you feel that there are too many impediments in or close to the starting zone, just solve it until Quest 5 and abandon it, giving you 25 FP. Repeat.
That won't move the impediments though. If you abandon, you get the same layout back the next time.

RazorbackPirate

That won't move the impediments though. If you abandon, you get the same layout back the next time.
Not if you complete at least one quest. If you just go in, look bail and try again, you'll get the same impediments. Complete the first 5, grab the FPs and start over and you'll get a new pattern.

DeletedUser36624

Not if you complete at least one quest. If you just go in, look bail and try again, you'll get the same impediments. Complete the first 5, grab the FPs and start over and you'll get a new pattern.
Er, I do the five quests/abandon thing a lot. It's always the same layout. Always the same mix of goods required for unlocking buildings too.

RazorbackPirate

Er, I do the five quests/abandon thing a lot. It's always the same layout. Always the same mix of goods required for unlocking buildings too.
Not having done it myself, I can only repeat the experience that others have reported. I've yet to find a reason to bail and restart myself, preferring to plow though and make it work. Maybe someday I'll try it myself.

DeletedUser38659

Thanks for the guide. Ther's a lot of information here that I could have used on my first run of Vikings.

BruteForceAttack

Even after 1.48 update, technically you don't need to have 1200 diplomacy and 4 cultural buildings at the same time. Just 1200 diplomacy and 1 cultural building is good enough. So get the diplomacy to 1200, delete everything expect few shacks or 1 hut to support one cultural building, start building one cultural building, delete it build again, repeat two more times and you are done. Key is to start with 0 cultural buildings for the last quest.

BTW layout only changes if you finish the settlement.