• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

More diversity in representation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser40197

I couldn't even finish reading all of this thread. I see where you're coming from, Beaded Rhino. I just wondered if a different way to put it might be to request, or propose, a different looking Indian woman avatar be made? There's nothing, necessarily, wrong with the previous avatars. Like Emberguard said, they are pretty. We have no way of knowing what the backstory is on those avatars. But requesting a better representation of an Indian woman makes perfect sense to me.... and don't take the negative responses personal. Some of these people live to be more knowledgeable, well spoken and insightful than everyone else here..... they of course come across sounding like jerks, no matter how you dice it. Whatever makes them feel good, though :) +1 for a different (better?) representation of a female Indian avatar.

DeletedUser36020

The OP was not the one who turned this into a racially charged thread. And I want no more accusations of that. Is that clear?
Is not suggesting the avatars are culturally appropriating adding racial charge??? And that's only the tip of it. Why can we not address that? You know I've never had an issue with you, but you are letting your political biases influence the use of your powers. She undoubtedly put racial charge into a poorly thought out post and we should be allowed to address that. *In a respectful manner*

DeletedUser

Is not suggesting the avatars are culturally appropriating adding racial charge??? And that's only the tip of it. Why can we not address that? You know I've never had an issue with you, but you are letting your political biases influence the use of your powers. She undoubtedly put racial charge into a poorly thought out post and we should be allowed to address that. *In a respectful manner*
That's not what she said, which just goes to show that others are projecting their own racial biases onto her statements.

DeletedUser36020

Then I saw another portrait from the event, same pale skin. These women look like white women dressed up to go to an Indian woman's wedding! (The only reason I can safely think of for them to be dressed like that outside of cultural appropriation) Have any of you actually taken the time to look at an Indian woman?

That's not what she said, which just goes to show that others are projecting their own racial biases onto her statements.
But she did... suggesting if it were a white woman in indian garb then she better be attending a wedding or she must be culturally appropriating.

BruteForceAttack

The OP was not the one who turned this into a racially charged thread. And I want no more accusations of that. Is that clear?

Actually what did op mean by this?

'I even joked in my guild that she must be a Brahmin '

I know she said she joked, but in my opinion she is implictly racial biased.

In my books it is as good as saying man I was lost driving today and ended up in this hood, and I swear I checked if my car doors were locked several times.

Last edited:

DeletedUser40197

Actually what did op mean by this?

'I even joked in my guild that she must be a Brahmin '

I know she said she joked, but in my opinion she is implictly racial biased.

In my books it is as good as saying man I was lost driving today and ended up in this hood, and I swear I checked if my car doors were locked several times.
What does Brahmin mean to you? To me this sounds very similar to someone in the US guessing where a person is likely from based on the accent. This does not make it racially biased, like your example of locking your doors once you arrive in a "hood"... which is actually probably a very good idea on your part. I once took a wrong turn into an extremely nice residential neighborhood, I was also with my boyfriend. We had to pull off to the side of the road to figure out how to get turned around. I promptly locked our doors. My boyfriend, use to this type of thing from me, kind of raised an eyebrow. But, I know, you can't be too careful.

DeletedUser31540

@RazorbackPirate

What the heck are you trying to accomplish ?

You totally flew ofd the handle - not her

Take your social justice agenda somewhere else !

RazorbackPirate

Take your social justice agenda somewhere else !
Funny, I abhor the very idea of social justice and social justice warriors. Once you add a modifier to the word justice, it is not Justice and it is no longer just.

That's why I vehemently fight against people who project their internal race issues onto others by using junk SJW terms like 'cultural appropriation' and 'white washing.' Call me crazy, but I don't think it's right to project an imagined race onto another person, then ascribe discriminatory racial prejudices, stereotypes, and overtones to that person's artwork based on the imagined race they've been assigned.

If you think that's fine, then I'm not sure how we, the HUMAN RACE (yup, there's only one), get past this.

I have no issues with the request, the more avatars the better. The more cultural diversity the better. That's why I submitted a proposal asking Inno to release all of the Emissary avatars from Cultural Settlements as we earn them. Seems a waste to create all those new avatars representing new cultures and not make them available to players as we earn them.

I'd just like to see people submit proposals asking for more avatars in a way that does not demonize others with their own projections. If you want to see what that looks like, check out my proposal "Let us be Vikings!" You'll see it passed with minimal fuss, found solid support, and has already been submitted to Inno.

DeletedUser31540

Funny, I abhor the very idea of social justice and social justice warriors. Once you add a modifier to the word justice, it is not Justice and it is no longer just.

That's why I vehemently fight against people who project their internal race issues onto others by using junk SJW terms like 'cultural appropriation' and 'white washing.' Call me crazy, but I don't think it's right to project an imagined race onto another person, then ascribe discriminatory racial prejudices, stereotypes, and overtones to that person's artwork based on the imagined race they've been assigned.

If you think that's fine, then I'm not sure how we, the HUMAN RACE (yup, there's only one), get past this.

I have no issues with the request, the more avatars the better. The more cultural diversity the better. That's why I submitted a proposal asking Inno to release all of the Emissary avatars from Cultural Settlements as we earn them. Seems a waste to create all those new avatars representing new cultures and not make them available to players as we earn them.

I'd just like to see people submit proposals asking for more avatars in a way that does not demonize others with their own projections. If you want to see what that looks like, check out my proposal "Let us be Vikings!" You'll see it passed with minimal fuss, found solid support, and has already been submitted to Inno.

You turned it into an issue with your response there was no issue before

You are just as bad - if not worse - than the people you “abhor” — dont you see how hypocritical you are being and the irony of the situation ???

OP explained how she felt - you percieve it as as a social justice issue and got your panties in a bunch and started a big fuss over literal nothing

The only social justice warrior i see in this thread is you

DeletedUser31540

@RazorbackPirate

Sorry for the double post but here is my last cent !

Picture those annoying SJWs that you hate... what are they like?

They seek out the smallest most incontroversial tidbit of “injustice” and throw a hissy fit blaming all sorts of people and institutions and feel vindicated in their actions because of the ‘unjustice of it all’

This is exactly what you did

Dont become the thing you hate

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser29563

Let me begin by saying I really enjoy this game. My son downloaded it on my phone and said "here , try this" and I was hooked.

My only real complaint has been the lack of diversity. I was really excited when i found my first portrait in the Archaeology Event, an Indian woman like myself! Only she looked white. I even joked in my guild that she must be a Brahmin because she was so pale. I just ignored it.

Then I saw another portrait from the event, same pale skin. These women look like white women dressed up to go to an Indian woman's wedding! (The only reason I can safely think of for them to be dressed like that outside of cultural appropriation) Have any of you actually taken the time to look at an Indian woman? We come in a rainbow of shades, but very few are glowing white.

One of the aspects that drew me to this game was it's apparent appreciation for history and culture. The white washing is in complete opposition to that spirit.

I propose that you add diversity to the skin colors.
I've never really noticed...but I back you 100%.

DeletedUser29563

Pocahontas was a Native American. If you were familiar with US culture, you would know that the term "Indian" is no longer considered accurate when talking about anyone but those from India.

The amount of blatant racism being displayed in response to this thread is disheartening to say the least.
Agreed Stephen... it's disgusting

ODragon

I agree with the starter that more diversity in the avatars hurts nothing.

I think the message could have been worded better though. It does read more like a social commentary with the words she choose.

I think much of the comments would have been different if she'd written her proposal to say: "hi, I'm a more dark skinned indian. Could we have some avatars that reflect that?"

DeletedUser

I agree with the starter that more diversity in the avatars hurts nothing.

I think the message could have been worded better though. It does read more like a social commentary with the words she choose.

I think much of the comments would have been different if she'd written her proposal to say: "hi, I'm a more dark skinned indian. Could we have some avatars that reflect that?"
Honestly, I think the comments would not have been much different no matter how the OP was worded. Some people just seem to trigger at the slightest mention of any issue involving different ethnicities.

ODragon

Honestly, I think the comments would not have been much different no matter how the OP was worded. Some people just seem to trigger at the slightest mention of any issue involving different ethnicities.
Its quite possible you are right but there are ways to write things so trigger isn't the immediate reaction.

Maybe I'm too hopeful that people can read the intent rather than the words...

DeletedUser

Its quite possible you are right but there are ways to write things so trigger isn't the immediate reaction.

Maybe I'm too hopeful that people can read the intent rather than the words...
Unfortunately, in my experience some people trigger at any mention of anything at all having to do with ethnicity. What's sad is that when the shoe is on the other foot, they are outraged if they don't get the benefit of the doubt as far as how they word things. I mean, seriously, even if you believe that the OP wasn't worded the absolute best possible way, you can't really believe that it deserved the type of vitriol that followed. Can you?

Status
Not open for further replies.