• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why I Don't Plunder

Mustapha00

I sincerely doubt that the OP will receive many replies sympathetic to his point of view. The pro-Plundering crowd here far outnumbers the anti-Plundering crowd (as determined by the number of posts pro- and anti-) and are certainly far more vociferous.

I have zero problem with Plundering be a part of the game. I have a serious problem with the way Inno has chosen to make it a virtual "easy button" for attackers. Inno has made the one active means by which a city may be defended- placing a stout Defensive Army- and rendered it next to completely ineffective.

One change is all it would take to restore at least some balance to the endeavor: replacing City Defender AI with Continent Defender AI so that defending units will not always target Rogues first. Nothing wrong with Plundering, but it ought to take a wee bit of strategery in order to be consistently good at it rather than just allot 1 real unit and 7 Rogues and move your real unit to the top left corner of the attack map. Simple fix...but it would tick off the loudest voices among Inno's player base and so it will never happen.

For myself, I am a very, very reluctant Plunderer. While I will attack Neighbors (especially if they do not Mo/Po me at least now and then), about the only time an Attack turns into a Attack + Plunder is when the Neighbor fields only the default City Defense of two spearfighters. If you don't care about your productions any more than to offer up such a pathetic defense, well AI care for your productions far more and I'll gladly give them a wonderful new home.

DeletedUser40197

I sincerely doubt that the OP will receive many replies sympathetic to his point of view. The pro-Plundering crowd here far outnumbers the anti-Plundering crowd (as determined by the number of posts pro- and anti-) and are certainly far more vociferous.

I have zero problem with Plundering be a part of the game. I have a serious problem with the way Inno has chosen to make it a virtual "easy button" for attackers. Inno has made the one active means by which a city may be defended- placing a stout Defensive Army- and rendered it next to completely ineffective.

One change is all it would take to restore at least some balance to the endeavor: replacing City Defender AI with Continent Defender AI so that defending units will not always target Rogues first. Nothing wrong with Plundering, but it ought to take a wee bit of strategery in order to be consistently good at it rather than just allot 1 real unit and 7 Rogues and move your real unit to the top left corner of the attack map. Simple fix...but it would tick off the loudest voices among Inno's player base and so it will never happen.

For myself, I am a very, very reluctant Plunderer. While I will attack Neighbors (especially if they do not Mo/Po me at least now and then), about the only time an Attack turns into a Attack + Plunder is when the Neighbor fields only the default City Defense of two spearfighters. If you don't care about your productions any more than to offer up such a pathetic defense, well AI care for your productions far more and I'll gladly give them a wonderful new home.
I kind of like the idea of a 'final stand' GB that gives a certain percentage chance of stopping a plunder and that chance increases with each level... there are plenty of ways to defend your city, but they only stretch so far. There definitely seems to be more incentive to plunder than to not. Of course it's doubtful anything like that will ever happen, I still like the idea.

Emberguard

I kind of like the idea of a 'final stand' GB that gives a certain percentage chance of stopping a plunder and that chance increases with each level... there are plenty of ways to defend your city, but they only stretch so far. There definitely seems to be more incentive to plunder than to not. Of course it's doubtful anything like that will ever happen, I still like the idea.
I’d prefer the battle system to have a better defence in general rather then taking away a success randomly. Putting in mechanics that take away a successful result after success has been achieved is a slippery slope. Why stop at plundering? If people like the idea so much who’s to say it wouldn’t bleed into other areas?

My idea would be a defence exclusive GB either the size of Zeus or bigger but with a second bonus that gives a chance (upto 100%) to double stats for entire army if facing rogues. It would greatly increase chances against rogue attackers and encourage them to use other options.

Mustapha00

I do not agree with you. In attacking my hood and plunder what is available at that moment I can easily score 40 fp or more a day. Sniping takes much more effort.

I don't find that pressing the GB button for a Neighbor take more effort than pressing the Attack button for a Neighbor.

DeletedUser40197

I’d prefer the battle system to have a better defence in general rather then taking away a success randomly. Putting in mechanics that take away a successful result after success has been achieved is a slippery slope. Why stop at plundering? If people like the idea so much who’s to say it wouldn’t bleed into other areas?

My idea would be a defence exclusive GB either the size of Zeus or bigger but with a second bonus that gives a chance (upto 100%) to double stats for entire army if facing rogues. It would greatly increase chances against rogue attackers and encourage them to use other options.
Hadn't thought of it in that way, great point, though.

DeletedUser28147

It's called a City Shield, or build a proper defensive army.

DeletedUser40197

It's called a City Shield, or build a proper defensive army.
That would be like saying it would be cool if there was a GB that gave a chance of killing an enemy unit at the start of battle and someone replying, it's called the AO or build a better attacking army. They have nothing to do with the other.

Algona

Funny how the topic of why I don't plunder turns into how to stop being plundered.

Just to forestall the rest of that oft repeated conversation, here's what I give to all apprentices and Guildies and have used to limit plundering of my cities. Between 2 cities, I've been plundered once this year without using Shield, Bribery, or any defensive structures.

Plundering is explicitly within the rules, is encouraged by INNO, and is a successful strategy. Don’t waste your time getting upset at being plundered. Take these steps and you will reduce your losses to a minimum. If all else fails, be patient, hopefully you’ll rotate to a nicer hood in a couple weeks. In order of effectiveness.

TAVERN BOOST CITY SHIELD. Expensive but it does the job.

PLUNDER PROOF YOUR CITY, Have no plunderable buildings.

COLLECT ON TIME. Set your production to finish at a time you know you will be on to collect. Many plunderers will stop attacking if you do not give them anything they can take.

FIND UNPLUNDERAB:E GOODS SOURCES. Babel, Lighthouse, St, Mark’s, Frauenkirche, Royal Albert produce unplunderable goods. Special Buildings, including Wishing Well, Fountain of Youth, and motivated Tribal Square can’t be plundered. Recurring Quests can provide Goods.

MANIPULATE YOUR NEIGHBOTHOOD POSITION. Players at the bottom of the hood seldom attack the top players in the hood. Slow down your Tech and Continent growth and put some time and effort into acquiring and leveling GBs. This will move you up higher in the hood.

GET YOUR BUILDINGS MOTIVATED. Switch to 24 hour production, AND reduce decorations, AND increase your friends list AND Aid everyone every day. Motivated buildings can not be plundered. By doing the four steps your houses, supply buildings, and other motivatable buildings will always be motivated. Triple bonus from this: 1) if you miss collection, no big deal, your production is safe until you can collect. 2) Your coin/supply production will go up! Motivation, besides stopping plundering, doubles production. 3) You only have to collect once a day.

PUT UP YOUR BEST DEFENCE: The more units you kill, the less often plunderers will attack you, they will target easier prey. If you are not inflicting any casualties try changing some of the units in your defense. Watchfires, Ritual Flame, some Special Event Buildings, Monastery, Deal Castle, St. Basils, Terra Cotta, and AO help with defence.

COUNTERATTACK PLUNDERERES. If you can, take back that which was yours. Even an unsuccessful attack may dissuade a casual plunderer.

TRY DIPLOMACY. Ask plunderers nicely to stop. It may work. If they want to be paid off it’s up to you, but I’m not a fan of blackmail, giving or receiving.

Now can we get back on the topic? You remember - Why people don;t plunder?

Emberguard

@Algona adding onto your point “put up your best defence” - if everyone did that the lowest in the hood would have a sort of herd immunity. Most hoods half of the neighbours have 2 spear fighters, most of which are the bottom half of the hood. So I don’t suffer any losses until I get past the 2 spear defences

The absolute toughest plunderers might not be effected, but it will stop those who don’t have a high Alcatraz from being able to plough through the entire neighbourhood even if they (plunderer) happen to be a camper. If they lose enough troops they may even be forced to temporarily stop altogether if they need troops elsewhere for GvG, GE and soon GBG

Although not the only reason it’s a big part of why the top don’t get bothered much. Most players know the top of the hood are much more likely to put up their best defence so the top of the hood enjoys that herd immunity

Last edited:

RazorbackPirate

@Algona adding onto your point “put up your best defence” - if everyone did that the lowest in the hood would have a sort of herd immunity. Most hoods half of the neighbours have 2 spear fighters, most of which are the bottom half of the hood. So I don’t suffer any losses until I get past the 2 spear defences

The absolute toughest plunderers might not be effected, but it will stop those who don’t have a high Alcatraz from being able to plough through the entire neighbourhood even if they (plunderer) happen to be a camper. If they lose enough troops they may even be forced to temporarily stop altogether if they need troops elsewhere for GvG, GE and soon GBG

Although not the only reason it’s a big part of why the top don’t get bothered much. Most players know the top of the hood are much more likely to put up their best defence so the top of the hood enjoys that herd immunity
I know many players who say their reason for not putting in a proper defending army is to deny attackers PvP tower points. I can't seem to get any of them to realize that for most regular attackers, PvP points or any medals achieved through PvP ranking is. Unfortunately for them, they can only base their judgement on their own experience where PvP points are important and they get upset when going up against a 2 spear defense that gives them so few tower points.

Emberguard

The funniest thing about “denying” ranking points is instead of being limited in tower ages I could compete in based on my capabilities to maintain troops from every age, I then can use the 2 spear fighters to compete on every age tower and get 1st in every tower consistently unless someone does GvG

Focusing on spiting others instead of bettering their own game just makes for the biggest easy button as it wastes their resources instead of mine

Woody*

I do not agree with you. In attacking my hood and plunder what is available at that moment I can easily score 40 fp or more a day. Sniping takes much more effort.

My experience is 180-out from yours. I can easily clear over 500 fps/day in my hood in less time than it takes to plunder. I'm in SAM, so the returns are higher than lower ages. Occasionaly I get over 1,000 in a day. Those returns are not possible with plundering, and even they were it would require tracking collection times, etc.

DeletedUser31540

The returns (over time) on plundering pale in comparison to those from sniping with a high level Arc.

Definitely... but if you wanna be a true FoE all-star doing both
My experience is 180-out from yours. I can easily clear over 500 fps/day in my hood in less time than it takes to plunder. I'm in SAM, so the returns are higher than lower ages. Occasionaly I get over 1,000 in a day. Those returns are not possible with plundering, and even they were it would require tracking collection times, etc.

Why does sniping have anything to do with plundering?

Obviously sniping is way more beneficial but if one has time for both then thats the way to go

Godly Luke

If you want coins, supplies, minimal fps, goods, medals. Plunder. If you want massive amounts of fps and massive amounts of medals, snipe. Oh how could I forget, if you want medals, the best way is the Coliseum. ;)

Jern2017

I snipe a lot as well and I agree with you, plundering FPs is a drop in the ocean compared to how much you can earn with sniping. The same goes for goods - a high level CF and doing recurring quests will definitely get you more goods. That's why I don't plunder focused on making a profit, but because I enjoy it. Enjoying the game is my main goal, so I do a lot of things that aren't neccessarily very beneficial just because I like doing them. Same with things that are beneficial - if I don't enjoy doing them, I won't, no matter what rewards I'm missing (recurring quests, Settlements...).

Woody*

...if one has time for both then thats the way to go

I agree...to a point. But I also get better returns on my time from GvG (much higher points per minute - and more fun), from my diamond farms, and many other things. For those who don't have 92.8% Arc boost and other advantages I've built up over time, plundering can definitely add to the progress made in this game. But plundering returns don't move the needle enough for me.