• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feudal Japan Feedback

• Thread starter DeletedUser4770
  • Start date

Kesto11

If you do any amount of negotiating in the GE, dealing with 5-6 options is not so difficult. Will you sometimes get unlucky and fail? Yes, but if you apply simple negotiating rules that just about any trading player can do in his or her sleep then you will generally succeed.

GE negotiating is more consistent when having the 4th turn available. I did that in my sleep before I could fight the entire thing. Having only three turns without diamonds does lend itself to those strings of failure. There's a pretty big difference between 5 and 6 good negotiations with only three turns. I agree it's not difficult, but it does get annoying after failing a few times in a row. It's all probability, and I find the balance to be off. I like the Market, would just like to see a small tweak.

I read that completely differently than you, not surprisingly. I don't read it as they grant special bonus only to your main city, just that that's where they are and where their timer (if they have one) will be. We'll just have to agree to disagree and you'll be right until (if) they make one that does more than what they do now.

Fair enough. I too would like to see options to increase the 4x bonus or other settlement bonuses. I would prefer they not take up an emissary slot that could go to other bonuses, but if they did, there are plenty of players who would do so (including myself) in order to complete settlements faster. And naturally, we could switch if/when not playing the settlements.

Dido 815 the Scourge

FWIW, I’ve recently started the Japan settlement and so far so good. Once I unlocked the marketplace, my impression of this new settlement improved even more. I love the negotiating aspect and using my city goods to get settlement goods in order to open expansions is great. Can’t imagine why anyone would waste 500 diamonds on an expansion when this option is readily available & easy to do.

IMHO the 3 negotiating turns provided are reasonable and the cost in goods seems appropriate. Right now, I have to negotiate using 6 goods choices and 3 turns. Don't know if that changes as I progress in the settlement, and if not, this works well for me. If it DOES get more difficult in terms of the number of goods choices or quantities, I may change my mind (doubtful). I can understand others who aren’t as proficient in GE negotiations having a hard time with this. Perhaps they should simply consider this aspect of the settlement as extra practice for getting through GE. I can only imagine the complaints if people actually had to do battles for the same rewards.

In any case, I find the Japan settlement an excellent improvement (thus far) over the Viking settlement . Well done, Inno.

UBERhelp1

Ok, so something I noticed that kind of annoys me - when new offers are available in the Merchant, the little notification flag appears over it. However, back in the player's main city, there is no notification for this on the boat. IMO, the flag should also appear above the boat when the offers refresh.

Super Catanian

Ok, so something I noticed that kind of annoys me - when new offers are available in the Merchant, the little notification flag appears over it. However, back in the player's main city, there is no notification for this on the boat. IMO, the flag should also appear above the boat when the offers refresh.
I know! My collection times differ than the activation of the Merchant, and I want to know when they are available ASAP. If I'm lucky, I will be able to place an expansion and build a new Goods Building in time for my collections and sync it with the rest.
Maybe try proposing it...

UBERhelp1

I know! My collection times differ than the activation of the Merchant, and I want to know when they are available ASAP. If I'm lucky, I will be able to place an expansion and build a new Goods Building in time for my collections and sync it with the rest.
Maybe try proposing it...
I would propose it, but as there is still the feedback thread and this only came out about 1.5 weeks ago... I think it belongs here.

DeletedUser30312

Remember that screenshot I posted of the initial setup? Well, there was another impediment on the map, this one hidden behind the embassy, and I didn't notice it was there until after I opened the expansion. Arrg! Haven't done enough on it yet to really comment, but the merchant is definitely helpful, and it looks easier to produce kobans than the copper coins. OTOH, expansion costs skyrocket faster than in Vikings, but there's also the merchant's effects on things too.

I guess it depends. If you have trouble obtaining goods, have bad luck or are not good at negotiations, I can see this.

I do think the volume of age before goods it requires might be a reason for someone to get the StarGazer. I still have over 10k of each but since noth

I've been saying since it was released that the Star Gazer is good for negotiators.

BruteForceAttack

Also add when a building is complete.

Super Catanian

and it looks easier to produce kobans than the copper coins
Yes. I currently have 54.924 Koban Coins and am waiting to gather enough Instruments to unlock the Dojo. After that, I will sell 3 of my Instrument Workshops and replace them with other Cultural Goods Buildings for the final quest.
Whereas in my Viking Settlement, which I started in the same day, I have 26.526 Copper Coins...

DeletedUser30312

I'm just eyeballing the 4 hour productions from the basic producer. The Viking Shrine does 300 coins in a 2x2, while the Shinto Shrine does 625 in a 2x3. If the Shinto was equivalent to the Shrine, it'd be doing 450, but it makes more than double in just 50% extra space. So I'm not feeling a pinch on coins here. But I don't have a problem with copper production in Vikings anyway.

UBERhelp1

Ok, so after finishing my first Feudal Japan Settlement on live, here are my thoughts:
  1. You don't have to babysit coin producing buildings, they produce enough that you can kind of just let them run.
  2. The Merchant is awesome.
  3. The Feudal Japan settlements seem a little easier than the Viking ones.
  4. The last quest is far too easy - I only needed one goods building to complete it (Merchant and canceling goods production covered 3 other goods and coins)

So... conclusion: Good job Inno!

Super Catanian

You don't have to babysit coin producing buildings, they produce enough that you can kind of just let them run.
Unless you want to have extra Koban Coins like I do. ;)

The Merchant is awesome.
Indeed. Am progressing a lot faster than in the Vikings.

The Feudal Japan settlements seem a little easier than the Viking ones.
I also agree, although coming up with Goods before the Merchant is a challenge.

The last quest is far too easy - I only needed one goods building to complete it (Merchant and canceling goods production covered 3 other goods and coins)
I hope I get as lucky as you once I unlock the Dojo (I have 4 Instrument Workshops as I need about 90 more Instruments to do so). If not, I'll just sell three and hope for the best.

So... conclusion: Good job Inno!
1pokuh.jpg

369fb7.jpg

ODragon

I also like it much better than Vikings.

My only complaint about both is the last quest. I'd be much happier if they wee just pay 10 of each goods plus the coins. It can be really inefficient to have to rebuild all the goods buildings again.

UBERhelp1

Meme directed at UBERhelp1
369fb7.jpg
[/SPOILER]
I almost want to set that as my wallpaper....

Unless you want to have extra Koban Coins like I do. ;)
I hope I get as lucky as you once I unlock the Dojo (I have 4 Instrument Workshops as I need about 90 more Instruments to do so). If not, I'll just sell three and hope for the best.
Yeah... that's rough. I took a look at the next settlement and for the Dojo, I need one of soy and instruments and then 203 of armor... and I need almost 350 armor total. And its the biggest goods building :/

Super Catanian

I almost want to set that as my wallpaper....
In that case, allow me to fix it up to make your name less sloppy (I was using my laptop touch-pad).
and I need almost 350 armor total.
Same thing happened with me and the Instruments. One tech needed 1 Instrument. The next two required 120-130-ish Instruments and the Dojo requires 153 Instruments.
And its the biggest goods building :/
At least it takes up the least amount of population. I plan on selling some Shoin-zukuri Houses to make space for my needed Goods Buildings, since I already have 2 Shinden-zukuri Manors built.

Anyways, I did get lucky and got 2 sets of Instruments from the Merchant. I also got Armor, which was a relief, since I had miscalculated and spent a little too much before selling the Armorer.
I need exactly 60 Instruments more in order to unlock the Dojo. With my next collection of Instruments in about an hour, I will sell one of my Instrument Workshops and replace it with another Goods Building in anticipation of the last quest. Or maybe, I'll do that now! Either way, I will unlock the Dojo tomorrow morning, so I will also sell a few more buildings to make space. I might actually keep it, as I have sufficient population and space to run 4 Goods Buildings.

Super Catanian

I'd be much happier if they wee just pay 10 of each goods plus the coins. It can be really inefficient to have to rebuild all the goods buildings again.
Then again, the point of the Cultural Settlements is to help the people prosper and become self-sufficient by the time of your departure. That might be hard, realistically speaking, if the have no Goods Buildings to help with their business.

Kesto11

I also like it much better than Vikings.

My only complaint about both is the last quest. I'd be much happier if they wee just pay 10 of each goods plus the coins. It can be really inefficient to have to rebuild all the goods buildings again.

Agreed.

Then again, the point of the Cultural Settlements is to help the people prosper and become self-sufficient by the time of your departure. That might be hard, realistically speaking, if the have no Goods Buildings to help with their business.

If the point is to have all four goods buildings up at the end, then that should be the requirement rather than "Gather 10 of each good." It doesn't make much logical sense to force us to wait on productions and/or market negotiations to complete this. "Sorry Bob, but I need you all to wait 8 more hours for me to make 10 more Paintings. I have 10 extra here already and your settlement is already self-sufficient, but I really want to watch you watch paint dry for 8 more hours."

When it comes down to it, "Gather" instead of "Pay" is simply a way to make it take a little longer and make it more challenging to complete on time.

On another note, my 3rd settlement on live generated an awful impediment field. Not only is there no way to put down two Soy Bean fields at the start, but rectangular expansion is not very good either. I will probably drop an expansion south of my SW corner, then continue south in that 8x12 space without impediments.

Attachments

• Jap Crap.png
    Jap Crap.png
    528.6 KB · Views: 14

DeletedUser30312

Almost finished with the first one:

settlement.png

Just got to wait for the remaining goods buildings to be rebuilt and then 8 hours of production, and I'm done. I managed this on 7 expansions in spite of the lousy impediment setup. The merchant really sped things up too.

Super Catanian

@Orius Maximus That's very impressive! I usually buy about 8 expansions. During my second run, I got really lucky with the Merchant and currently have placed 6 expansions, and I'm only halfway done! Now, did I get lucky with the costs for unlocking new Buildings? Eh, not really...