• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

How to get most Halloween books?

DeletedUser37627

I have been saving all my candies for Dark Doorways. But now I'm hearing that if I get enough books I can get a 2nd Abandoned Asylum without diamonds. Which to me is far more valuable than getting maybe 10 Dark Doorways.

So my question is what is the best way to play the Halloween game to get the most books I can, while still making sure I get all the upgrades for the 1st Abandoned Asylum?

DeletedUser37581

Reveal all dark cobwebs.

If a bright cobweb doesn't show anything, then there is nothing to be found there.

DeletedUser37581

Why is this? How many upgrades would I still need to get?
You might be able to do it by finding "enough" books, but that could mean finding 200 or more books. I don't recall hearing of anyone on beta even getting 100 books.

Algona

What is the best way without spending diamonds?

How many Books to buy a Tool Set? How many Books can you uncover from a Tool Set? How many Sets of Books can you uncover from a Tool Set?

How many Tool Sets per Upgrade?

Or better yet, ask the person who told you this*:

I'm hearing that if I get enough books I can get a 2nd Abandoned Asylum

Although Agent gave you the real answer.

* I suspect about a thousand years ago residents throughout the world got together and laid plans for when the Europeans would start playing their 4X games across the Earth. Plan A for dealing with the waves of explorers was the story of 'Golden Cities' and 'Fountains of Youth' and such. Fabulous riches, but you have to go a little further along that road of starvation and disease.

DeletedUser37627

So I'd be stuck waiting for Asylum upgrades to appear on auction....I'd rather save my candies and get Dark Doorways to replace a few Terrace Farms.

DeletedUser31540

Tyrion yiu only get 20 candies for a completed book questline ... so if you find 20 books thats enough for 1 large tool kit .... 1 large tool kit = about 15 vials

You need 180 vials for the first max AA and 260 vials for the 2nd

How are those 20 candies a book lookin?

DeletedUser37627

Tyrion yiu only get 20 candies for a completed book questline ... so if you find 20 books thats enough for 1 large tool kit .... 1 large tool kit = about 15 vials

Not good at all. I'll be waiting on Dark Doorways daily special.

I just told guild chat when they said it's 20 candies per book that they'd need at least 200 books. I can't imagine it taking less than 4000 candies for a 2nd Asylum...and that's assuming you get a few extra upgrades from the original 4800 candies you'll get according to FOE Hints.

DeletedUser37627

It's actually worse than I said earlier, now that I did the math. A 2nd Asylum would take about 430 books, about 8500 candies.

Algona

A 2nd Asylum would take about 430 books, about 8500 candies.

It's not quite that bad. You forgot you can get bonus Tools (the equivalent of about 500-550 Candy worth of Tools) by getting complete Book Sets. Of course that depends on the drop rates of Books.

How often are folk completing Book Sets? I have yet to get there in 3 cities.

DeletedUser29726

Notably some of the books are much rarer than others. Any given book is worth 20 candy so it's worth the stick it takes to clear it if you finish the questline. But full sets will depend on you finding those rare books. I find lots of common ones, but only a couple of the silver ones, and none of the gold one between several worlds that were hunting for wishing wells. For point of comparison with graviton's experience above, most of these worlds are not super-far along in the questlines ; they generally only had 1 set of tools purchased to work with.

At any rate mostly the strategy if you're not going for specials in order to maximize your progress towards asylums would be to use your tools wisely (i.e. find good scenarios for using brooms and cauldrons where they reveal many dark cobwebs or collect multiple items saving you sticks; don't spend a bunch of tools just to reveal a single dark cobweb that's a dead end), and to treat pumpkins (almost) as though they were empty tiles in your decisions as to what you clear or don't. You can't find more books by simply willing them to show up so there'd be little more you can do than avoid things that don't help you along in your goal to get more grand prizes.

I haven't made any effort to run the numbers on how many asylums upgrades you're likely to gain but i doubt 2 fully upgraded is in reach without (many) diamonds. And so much of the asylum's value is in the final upgrade that there's little point in chasing extra upgrades unless you're going for a full one.

Freshmeboy

I've had 17 books+ in each world..and suprisingly they are very similar in scope. My cities are built the same way, not sure if that means anything. One has the full compliment and the other lacks the silver book. I'm up to date on my main quests and everytime a book came up I immediately added the quests unless it was a dupe currently running. I'm sure others are at the same stage as I am...curious to know how many books they have uncovered so far...

Emberguard

In past events there was a single event I've managed to get a second complete event building in one city for free but all my other cities only managed to get one free building. Every other event it's only been a single event building for every event. Getting a second building will come down to a combination of luck and using everything to its best efficiency. It's not impossible just so unlikely you shouldn't expect it. You'd have to be logging in daily to get the log in bonuses and collecting every incident in sight to make sure you get every candy available

At any rate mostly the strategy if you're not going for specials in order to maximize your progress towards asylums would be to use your tools wisely (i.e. find good scenarios for using brooms and cauldrons where they reveal many dark cobwebs or collect multiple items saving you sticks; don't spend a bunch of tools just to reveal a single dark cobweb that's a dead end), and to treat pumpkins (almost) as though they were empty tiles in your decisions as to what you clear or don't. You can't find more books by simply willing them to show up so there'd be little more you can do than avoid things that don't help you along in your goal to get more grand prizes.
This is good advice ^

Last edited:

DeletedUser41610

Someone in my guild claims they received a Asylem upgrade randomly from a pumpkin?! Is that even possible?! I know it doesnt say on the list so in trying to conserve for potions and book, I've been skipping some pumpkins o_O.

Graviton

No, they likely collected a pumpkin at the same time they won the Asylum upgrade as the grand prize.