• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Sniping Progress

DeletedUser38368

Labeling or pretending either player is anything, will never change the fact that one player has done something that benefits another player when they add Forge Points to someone else’s Great Building.

The points are spent, the rewards are gathered, and however you may choose to think about it, is completely irrelevant to what happen and who benefited.

I mean you could also make the point that none of it could occur if Player 1 had not constructed the Great Building in the first place ... But Player 1 was not offering a mutual benefit, and only attempting to apply a perception in order to impose their will on Player 2, while Player 2 has already benefited them both.

If it is ever necessary to establish who is what, for whatever foolish reason, there is most often a significant difference between what someone may want, and what they deserve as a result of their actions.

Luckily, in the case of sniping ... That matter is solved when the points are spent.

And that's a negative. The mental gymnastics you do in your posts is both impressive and amusing.
It does not benefit the player if he or she was planning to 1.9 and you were able to sneak in a cheeky 1.8 or less. You are costing the player additional points to complete their GB. Those points you gain from the snipe are taken from that player.
Don't get me wrong, in the scenario above it is most likely the player's fault for unlocking too many spots at once. That doesn't change the fact that you've screwed the player over and perhaps his or her guildmates or even both.

Just admit to being cheeky ;)

DeletedUser38368

I have a couple friends that are only friends because they self level and if I weren't "sniping" their GB someone else would be, or they would level completely w/o any donation. I was able to add 10fp with a return of 180, I believe, this morning... I'm down to about 3 friends like this, they are few and far b/w anymore... most have gone to 1.9 donations, as was mentioned above. I won't snipe a friend if it's clear they are looking for a 1.9
There is a huge difference between sniping self-levelers and sniping those in guilds with established 1.9 threads. The conversation here is about the latter.

DeletedUser36572

And that's a negative. The mental gymnastics you do in your posts is both impressive and amusing.
It does not benefit the player if he or she was planning to 1.9 and you were able to sneak in a cheeky 1.8 or less. You are costing the player additional points to complete their GB. Those points you gain from the snipe are taken from that player.
Don't get me wrong, in the scenario above it is most likely the player's fault for unlocking too many spots at once. That doesn't change the fact that you've screwed the player over and perhaps his or her guildmates or even both.

Just admit to being cheeky ;)

Where it may be cheeky ... There is a difference between a plan and points spent.

If it is in a 1.9 Thread, they should have primed it before they started offering spots for sale. If the building is not properly primed and the spots filled in order ... It’s still open for debate whether or not a Player gets screwed by another or basically screws themself.

In the scenario posted Player 2 has donated to Player 1’s building ... And the only mental gymnastics required, is when as a matter of opinion someone attempts to make something out of nothing, ignoring the fact Player 2 already paid their something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Graviton

There is a huge difference between sniping self-levelers and sniping those in guilds with established 1.9 threads. The conversation here is about the latter.

I think there's even a finer distinction to make: if you're sniping a GB you see in a 1.9 thread that does seem to cross a line. But if I'm scanning my guildies to find a GB I'm probably not going to cross-reference the 1.9 threads to see if they're there.

The bottom line here, IMO, is that it's not my job to police somebody else's GB contributions. That's on the owner and nobody else. If you want to reserve the spots on your GB, then do the math ahead of time and coordinate it properly. It's like people putting a GB in a 100-FP swap thread when there are fewer than 100 FP to the next level, and they add, "Please don't level". I'm going to add 100 FPs and if that levels it, that's your problem, not mine. You shouldn't have put it there.

So yeah, if you see a GB in a 1.9 thread and you snipe it, that's probably not kosher. But everything else is.

DeletedUser40197

Im not sure exactly which conversation you're referring to. My post wasn't in reply to another's post, no quote included, so I'm not really sure what your point is... there are alot of different people here referencing plenty of things other than 1 specific thing. But thank you for pointing out those 2 obvious differences to me?

Salsuero

It doesn’t matter what you may think is petty, condescending, grateful, altruistic or whatever

Might not matter to you. Matters to me, though. The multiple likes I received seem to suggest I'm not alone.

The matter of who helps who, and who benefits from the endeavor, is settled when one player adds points to another player’s building

If your definition of "help" is the same as the person you claim to be helping, that would be true. But your definition isn't necessarily universal.

No one suggested anyone had the right to do one thing or another

I don't agree with that.

Player 2 had already benefited Player 1.

According to your definition of a benefit, yes.

In the interaction posted, the only Player attempting to instruct another Player on how things are, or should be, was Player 1.

That is patently false.

Player 2 just offered an alternative response should Player 1 feel the need to contact them again.

That's a really slanted perspective.

But if I'm scanning my guildies to find a GB I'm probably not going to cross-reference the 1.9 threads to see if they're there.

That's just sad.

It's like people putting a GB in a 100-FP swap thread when there are fewer than 100 FP to the next level, and they add, "Please don't level". I'm going to add 100 FPs and if that levels it, that's your problem, not mine. You shouldn't have put it there.

Anytime someone puts "please don't level" in a guild thread, I put a little extra effort into not doing so. If you don't care enough to do that, that's up to you. I think that's also sad.

Last edited:

DeletedUser40996

If the owner can't be bothered to manage his own GB it's not my fault. Your GBs are not my responsibility, no matter how sad that makes you.
I have to agree . It's the GB owners responsibility to not post it in threads that are going to bump it . If they can't be bothered to do the math then neither can I especially if I've hit big reward FP's from GE / DC / Events / etc.

DeletedUser38368

...Where it may be cheeky ... There is a difference between a plan and points spent.

If it is in a 1.9 Thread, they should have primed it before they started offering spots for sale. If the building is not properly primed and the spots filled in order ... It’s still open for debate whether or not a Player gets screwed by another or basically screws themself...

Ah see, you're starting to get it. You're costing the player points, therefore you're not benefitting them. It's that simple.

DeletedUser38368

Im not sure exactly which conversation you're referring to. My post wasn't in reply to another's post, no quote included, so I'm not really sure what your point is... there are alot of different people here referencing plenty of things other than 1 specific thing. But thank you for pointing out those 2 obvious differences to me?

I am new to the forum so is everyone around here so thin skinned? You were not being attacked I was merely pointing out the topic was lost on you. Nobody here cares about sniping self-levelers because it's not a controversial topic. The self-levelers love it, the snipers love it, your neighbor loves it and so does your dog. Everyone is good there.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

DeletedUser38368

I think there's even a finer distinction to make: if you're sniping a GB you see in a 1.9 thread that does seem to cross a line. But if I'm scanning my guildies to find a GB I'm probably not going to cross-reference the 1.9 threads to see if they're there.

The bottom line here, IMO, is that it's not my job to police somebody else's GB contributions. That's on the owner and nobody else. If you want to reserve the spots on your GB, then do the math ahead of time and coordinate it properly. It's like people putting a GB in a 100-FP swap thread when there are fewer than 100 FP to the next level, and they add, "Please don't level". I'm going to add 100 FPs and if that levels it, that's your problem, not mine. You shouldn't have put it there.

So yeah, if you see a GB in a 1.9 thread and you snipe it, that's probably not kosher. But everything else is.

You sound like an awful guildmate.

Salsuero

If the owner can't be bothered to manage his own GB it's not my fault.

I have to agree . It's the GB owners responsibility to not post it in threads that are going to bump it .

Yes, but how do you know it was the owner's fault that the GB was "over" ready? How do you know it wasn't placed there and then a neighbor hit it to ruin the plan? Or a friend? Or a guildie who wasn't paying attention or wanted to snipe a better reward before it leveled? Are none of these things possible in your guild(s)? Because I've seen all of them happen more than once. I don't feel it's my responsibility to manage their GBs. I do feel responsible for my own actions and respecting my guildmates by abiding by the wish not to level them is just being a decent guildmate. Are you trying to teach them a lesson or something by leveling them or is it just that you wanna be lazy and not care? I don't get it, but like I said, if you don't care enough to hook up your guildie who maybe even did make a mistake, that's just sad to me.

DeletedUser36572

Ah see, you're starting to get it. You're costing the player points, therefore you're not benefitting them. It's that simple.

Any points a player doesn’t spend leveling their Great Building does not cost them anything.

Any points they thought they were going to get, but never did, is a cost only in a sense they didn’t recognize the return they expected because they were relying on circumstances that didn’t occur.

If you want to win the Powerball Lottery, actually buying a ticket tends to be a tad bit more productive and successful, than simply expecting you could have won not buying a ticket, if someone else had not bought theirs, won, and paid you for their ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser40197

I am new to the forum so is everyone around here so thin skinned? You were not being attacked I was merely pointing out the topic was lost on you. Nobody here cares about sniping self-levelers because it's not a controversial topic. The self-levelers love it, the snipers love it, your neighbor loves it and so does your dog. Everyone is good there.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...
Lol you're new? I couldn't tell, you fit right in :)

DeletedUser41583

Intentional or not, if you snipe 1.9 GBs in your guild, I must wonder how many guilds with 1.9 have blacklisted you lol

DeletedUser38368

Any points a player doesn’t spend leveling their Great Building does not cost them anything.

Any points they thought they were going to get, but never did, is a cost only in a sense they didn’t recognize the return they expected because they were relying on circumstances that didn’t occur.

If you want to win the Powerball Lottery, actually buying a ticket tends to be a tad bit more productive and successful, than simply expecting you could have won not buying a ticket, if someone else had not bought theirs, won, and paid you for their ticket.

To your analogy;

What you're saying is as if someone was about to win a lottery and you were also holding a winning ticket for a smaller lottery.
You somehow managed to switch tickets with them and got caught in the act. Now you're saying "well, I DID give you a winning lotto ticket!"
No, you took from them when they were about to receive a bigger prize (1.9 in this case) and are doing some serious mental gymnastics to justify doing so.

Graviton

Intentional or not, if you snipe 1.9 GBs in your guild, I must wonder how many guilds with 1.9 have blacklisted you lol

Zero so far. I was booted from one for not completing all 4 levels of GE, but never for sniping. So either I've never accidentally sniped one that's in a 1.9 thread or nobody cared.