• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Is City Defense at all possible?

LadySansaStark

As someone with near 600% attack boost, I have broken through 1000%+ defense. It is not worth it to build up defense super high, it will just take up valuable space in your city. Even if I plunder someone's best thing every day for a week, that losses to that player are so small in comparison to what is lost by not using that space more wisely. Chances are that someone's not taking your best thing every day either, so you see where that's going.

Now defense attack is another matter. I do not think it is worth it to focus on this exclusively either, but some event buildings have it plus other perks and this can certain knock out enough of the attacking army units that a player might not deem it worth attacking you. This kind of thing could absolutely deter or defeat mid-range plunderers.

The best defense against plundering, if that's something that really tilts you, is to focus on acquiring buildings that can be motivated or to nearly always collect on time.

Emberguard

But I enjoy watching the replay of some forces hitting my City army, and immediately retreating. They looked at my troop stats.. LOL
yeah. I put up a 8 rogue defense to see whether anyone would bother plundering me. One guy fled. They only brought 2 damaged troops. Must have been looking for super weak 2 spear defenses

Mustapha00

Now defense attack is another matter. I do not think it is worth it to focus on this exclusively either, but some event buildings have it plus other perks and this can certain knock out enough of the attacking army units that a player might not deem it worth attacking you. This kind of thing could absolutely deter or defeat mid-range plunderers.

I think this illustrates the real problem quite well.

An attacking player almost certainly has not only a high boost to ATT but also to the DEF rating of their attacking units. A defending player may have a moderately high to high boost to the DEF rating for their defending troops, but they probably have a very low ATT boost to those defending units. If your troops with 40%ATT boost/400%DEF boost are going up against troops with 400%ATT boost/350%DEF boost, you're not going to do much more than scratch the paint of the attacker's troops.

Agent327

I think this illustrates the real problem quite well.

An attacking player almost certainly has not only a high boost to ATT but also to the DEF rating of their attacking units. A defending player may have a moderately high to high boost to the DEF rating for their defending troops, but they probably have a very low ATT boost to those defending units. If your troops with 40%ATT boost/400%DEF boost are going up against troops with 400%ATT boost/350%DEF boost, you're not going to do much more than scratch the paint of the attacker's troops.

So you need to work on the attack of your defense.

Magnigoth

Exactly, this is the best defense. Don't give the attacker anything to plunder and there is no need to waste city space on defense.
What does a plunder proof collection of Buildings look like? I am hoping I don't have to cram eight Great buildings in the same town to be plunder proof and have a town that doesn't look like a museum across the ages.

Emberguard

So you need to work on the attack of your defense.
Exactly. The latest event building did that but whenever defending army stuff is given players tend to not want it

What does a plunder proof collection of Buildings look like? I am hoping I don't have to cram eight Great buildings in the same town to be plunder proof and have a town that doesn't look like a museum across the ages.
Anything motivated is plunderproof. So just gradually replacing normal (goods) buildings with event (aidable) buildings will achieve that.

Supply production buildings and residentials are more or less protected if you collect once per 24 hrs because they can be aided

Once you’ve replaced goods buildings with event buildings then you decide whether to replace the residentials and supply productions as well.

Also, Crows Nest, Statue of Honor and anything “All Ages”(auto ages up) is automatically plunderproof

dtown20

When people talk about city defense are they actually talking about a defense that can actually defeat a determined plunderer or just one that can cause a loss and cause him to look elsewhere? Seems like a very different proposition.

Shamanu

The idea that an advanced age can attack a much earlier age is just to much. Also I see people camping out at early ages just to be overwhelming and pest the crap out of those with less experience. You don't get mad if your chess opponent takes your rook as long as you are playing in your league. There seems to be no thought to monitoring abusive behavior in this game. It is a shame as it is otherwise a pretty good game.

Agent327

The idea that an advanced age can attack a much earlier age is just to much. Also I see people camping out at early ages just to be overwhelming and pest the crap out of those with less experience. You don't get mad if your chess opponent takes your rook as long as you are playing in your league. There seems to be no thought to monitoring abusive behavior in this game. It is a shame as it is otherwise a pretty good game.

Advanced ages can not attack a much earlier age, unless they advanced during the current hood selection.

Plain Red Justice

Also I see people camping out at early ages just to be overwhelming and pest the crap out of those with less experience.
Camping or the act of not moving up an age is optimal in this game where goods are very important to be able to play GBG checkers or maintain a healthy link of goods within the guild

Mustapha00

One can make a reasonable argument that Inno should not have made certain Ages more rewarding than others in terms of the benefits from camping in them, but you really can't blame the players for basing their decisions on if and when to camp based on Inno's decision.

85gt

I would say if you have enough defense to keep others out of your city you no longer have a city, all you have is a ritual flame farm. I have attacked some with 2400+ defense and get through and my attack is just above 1400, its looking like a waste of land to have all these defense items.

ahsay

I've been attacked by armies with 500-600 attack boost (my city defense is 143 with 49 attack) and I wonder if it's actually possible to build a city defense capable to repelling those. Looking for city defense boosts, I find very few ... Castel del Monte, special evetn buildings, etc. and I'm beginning to suspect that it's impossible to build a successful city defense, to encourage attacks. I've ceased building a city defense army and let the 2 spear throwers have their day. If my thinking is incorrect, I'd like to know.
No. I face the same boosts and my defense is almost 900 and still lose. The only thing good is that it's difficult to "auto" with that boost; so most move on but if you manual, any boost can be beat. The satisfaction...I've wasted their time and hopefully take a troop or two.

What does two spear accomplish but say to FoE, I've given up. So what if you lose at least you tried. And to those that say, "...but you deny them tower points". Tower points are the last on the list. I want your FPs and goods.

Last edited:

Emberguard

What does two spear accomplish but say to FoE, I've given up. So what if you lose at least you tried. And to those that say, "...but you deny them tower points". Tower points are the last on the list. I want your FPs and goods.
Plus 2 spears still give points but allow the opponent to manipulate them into whatever age they want.

JSWilabay

I've been attacked by armies with 500-600 attack boost (my city defense is 143 with 49 attack) and I wonder if it's actually possible to build a city defense capable to repelling those. Looking for city defense boosts, I find very few ... Castel del Monte, special evetn buildings, etc. and I'm beginning to suspect that it's impossible to build a successful city defense, to encourage attacks. I've ceased building a city defense army and let the 2 spear throwers have their day. If my thinking is incorrect, I'd like to know.
I have learned that the dailies force you to attack people in your neighborhood. But it takes a special kind of creep to plunder and steal from the people around them. Being attacked and attacking is part of the game, but it doesn't leave a good feel to the game. It leaves me disturbed. When someone plunders my goods, I am done with them.

DevaCat

I have learned that the dailies force you to attack people in your neighborhood. But it takes a special kind of creep to plunder and steal from the people around them. Being attacked and attacking is part of the game, but it doesn't leave a good feel to the game. It leaves me disturbed. When someone plunders my goods, I am done with them.
My, my, that moral high horse must be dizzying indeed.

The real question is, when someone has plundered your goods, are they done with you?

Plundering is baked into the game, and even encouraged in some situations, by design. When someone attacks and then plunders, it is within the rules of the game and that is not abusive behavior. Plundering is not "theft" -- it is a reward for beating your defense army, and a result of you not protecting your stuff.

Emberguard

But it takes a special kind of creep to plunder and steal from the people around them.
That assumes the stuff was ever yours to begin with. Ever been disturbed playing Go Fish?

If I brought along a board game and we were to play it who do the resources within the game belong to? You or the board game owner? You get stuff in the game for the purpose of the game and as a player have permission to use anything from the board game within the game rules. You aren’t losing anything when you lose something within the game - you never had it except in game context.

Now if without permission you were to try to take the physical board game with you or its pieces once we’re no longer playing that really would be stealing because the board game wasn’t yours

Mustapha00

Not necessarily.

You can fight in the Guild Expedition or in the Guild Battlegrounds to "Win XXXX Fights" or "Defeat XXXX Units".